Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476318 Topics
6248292 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5411240 - 11/10/14 03:33 PM am I alone in thinking this?
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Big Country
I have been white tail hunting for 35 years
I have morphed into a meat hunter pretty much but I still get excited when I see a majestic buck
I care for the animals on my land
I want them to flourish

When I take a doe I just can't shoot them in the head any more
Something about it makes me feel like I have disrespected the animal because of the damage it does
I've done it before and it is humane I know that

I would rather neck shoot now to preserve meat

#5411248 - 11/10/14 03:37 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I don't know if you're alone on it or not, never gave it much thought, but the 1st part of your post, I agree with 100%. I enjoy working the land as much sitting in the stand.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5411256 - 11/10/14 03:41 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Your not alone. I love taking care of the animals best we can. I don't really like head shots on deer, have done a few in the past but don't care to have pictures with brains splattered all over in them... and yes we do take pictures of most of the deer we shoot even does sometimes its just to text to dad and brother but I still don't want a mangled 1/2 a head in the picture.

I also will not gut a prego sow and pull the unborn piglets out and play with them and take pictures, poor taste if you ask me, I gut and go along like normal.

#5411280 - 11/10/14 03:47 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I still like to hunt period. Still shoot bucks and does when or which is needed from more of a management standpoint. I still shoot what I like or don't like for bucks for numbers control with the tags I have. From a management standpoint with does I prefer to shoot the older ones with fawns when I can make that call. I still shoot all deer high point of the shoulder and for me it does not waste that much meat when the shot is put in the right place. They don't move and no tracking involved. I still get that same excited feeling today as I did 45+ yrs ago no matter if it is a doe or buck. I would think when I loose that feeling it will be time to hang it up.
I still love hunting with a rifle. But also have recently started with my crossbow and picked a bow for the first time in 10 yrs. Now days I love hunting Mule Deer as much if not more than whitetail.
About 10 years ago I started back to taking pictures and trying to learn how to use the cameras I have. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching wildlife while hunting. Seen some amazing things over the years when I did not have a camera with me, now I do and capture that moment in time to save for viewing over again in the future.

#5411303 - 11/10/14 03:54 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
STX, your over 35!! grin bolt

I can see where Redchevy is coming from as far as photos for sure.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5411304 - 11/10/14 03:55 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
A neck shot saves more meat than a head shot? Are you eating the brains?

#5411316 - 11/10/14 03:58 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sneaky]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
A neck shot saves more meat than a head shot? Are you eating the brains?

Who said that a neck shot saves more meat than a head shot?
I didn't

#5411340 - 11/10/14 04:04 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I am beginning to feel the same way. I got to watch my personal best buck for several minutes this year before I shot him, and I had lots of thoughts of passing on him. I began to think that if I just had good pictures of him that that would be enough. I just want to see what the land can produce with good management. However, I did get a massive case of the shakes after the shot and was giddy for quite some time.

I'll have a gun with me, but I'll be toting a camera with me from now on too.

#5411494 - 11/10/14 04:55 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Originally Posted By: Sparky45

Something about it makes me feel like I have disrespected the animal because of the damage it does

Head shot does too much damage. You neck shoot to preserve meat.

What am I missing?

I'm not trying to start something. Im just not picking up what you're putting down, apparently.

#5411504 - 11/10/14 05:00 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

Dead is dead. What difference does it make where you shoot one as long as it dies quickly.

#5411508 - 11/10/14 05:03 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
Some years ago, a buddy and I hunted a tiny lease right on the Stephens/Erath line that had the worst genetics of anywhere I ever saw. All kinds of really freaky looking deer were around there....so I got into a habit, in that 1 Buck County, of only taking the worst twisted up head I could find every year, and forget about the little basket racks that were common. Then started getting drawn on GDA Hunts and would only take the biggest tallest spike I could find...and it's become fun looking for the weirdo's.

These deer eat just as good as big dry doe too, and frequently are a tad bigger since they've been let live longer. AR's ought to get these cleaned out the Gene Pool hopefully.

Wish't I'd kept the one from the tiny lease that had a 3 typical half of a 6pt on one side and a starburst of 9 pts kinda triangle shaped sharp edged points coming out of a twisted pretzel looking cigar thick knob right as the bone came off the pedicel, with 2 of the "Point's" penetrating the skin between his ear and the base. That whole starburst ball shaped wad of horn thing was about 8"s in diameter on the outside of the circle of the points and mebbe 5-6"s at the tallest. No damage found anywhere on the critter either. Killed another one at that lease that had a single unforked finger thick smooth tubular looking horn coming out the side of the pedicel and curling back into the side of head on one side and small cow patty looking wad of lumpy bone on the other side. These were full grown 3-4 year old breeding bucks too, weighing 125/140 lbs and not just some short unforked pencil horned yearling spike like I've seen elsewhere.

Got a 9 1/2" x 8 3/4" tall Spike with no forks, with just crooked knobby lumps from Lake Mineral Wells SP couple years back that I kept enough of the skull cap to keep the Antler base's solid.
Fun is where ya find it.
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#5411517 - 11/10/14 05:08 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Tried a headshot on a doe, too close, when I was a late-teenager. Shot her jaw off. Never found her. Never again.

#5411519 - 11/10/14 05:09 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sparky45]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
I'm in agreement, head shooting has become popular with younger "hot shots", they think it's cool and makes them a badass "sniper".

. I guess I'm getting old and soft. I will neck shoot for meat. I guess dead is dead, head shots are messy. I'm not as mad at the deer as I used to be, have more fun after the hunt, swapping "what did you see" stories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a NBK but ..... would I rather go drink a cold beer or have a hot cup of coffee and a bigo breakfast instead of cleaning and haulin a deer to the locker.....he better be big or be an AXIS (very tasty) the whitetail I kill are donated to hungry folks.

#5411521 - 11/10/14 05:09 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: Sneaky]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Sparky45

Head shot does too much damage. You neck shoot to preserve meat.

What am I missing?

I'm not trying to start something. Im just not picking up what you're putting down, apparently.

OK, here goes.

I was of the opinion that I would head shoot does to save useable meat. Head shot, they go right down, no tracking and no meat wasted.

I am now of the opinion that I would not prefer to head shoot them so instead I aim for the highest part of the neck. It is my thoughts that I still waste less meat by doing this than a typical shoulder shot could waste.

The neck shot will destroy some meat, just not as much as a shoulder shot can destroy.

so my statement about shooting in the neck to save meat was in comparison to a typical shoulder shot

#5411536 - 11/10/14 05:16 PM Re: am I alone in thinking this? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I am beginning to feel the same way. I got to watch my personal best buck for several minutes this year before I shot him, and I had lots of thoughts of passing on him. I began to think that if I just had good pictures of him that that would be enough. I just want to see what the land can produce with good management. However, I did get a massive case of the shakes after the shot and was giddy for quite some time.

I'll have a gun with me, but I'll be toting a camera with me from now on too.

I rarely take photos of live deer but I can understand people that do. To me they are a resource, a beautiful one at that. Cunning and a good sport to enjoy. I just think I have shot my last one in the head.
I always try and say a quick thank you to the Almighty for the animal and I promise to make good use of it.
Its a strange way am beginning to feel is more honoring the animal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide