Forum Stats
60414 Members
45 Forums
475597 Topics
6239022 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5410597 - 11/10/14 11:19 AM Mornings, really?
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
So as I was sitting in the high rack yesterday morning facing down a 20 mph SW wind and watching a 4.5 year old 130" 9 point feed in the road, it struck me that I have never harvested a large mature WT in the A.M. hours of the day. For that matter as I was sitting there contemplating "relaxing" in the face of the 20 mph wind after rising @ 5:15 A.M. to do so, I am not sure I have even ever encountered what I would consider a "shooter" over the last 15 years of serious trophy hunting in the A.M. hours. I have killed several big WT and each and everyone of them has been in the afternoon or evening. I have harvested a few management bucks in the A.M. and seen deer in the A.M., just not ultimately what I am looking for. I guess my question is, "Why do I hunt in the mornings?" I hunt to kill big bucks, and I hunt to relax; and I am not sure I am doing either under the circumstances I described. I will say I do feel guilty if I don't wake up in the mornings and hunt or I feel is if I am missing out, its just that the evidence doesn't back up those feelings. Anybody else feel the same way and what are your early morning experiences, thoughts, etc.....

#5410625 - 11/10/14 11:27 AM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Most of my biggest bucks have been taken in the mornings though only a couple were real early. The biggest ones have been between 10 and 11am during full moon times.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#5410639 - 11/10/14 11:30 AM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
Leonardo Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wise County
I see bigger more mature deer in the mornings. That obviously depends on the place I am hunting. At my house the morning is best for a large deer however I see more numbers in the evening. At my current lease the mornings, late mornings are the most productive on my end of the lease.

But the biggest buck I have ever killed came in the evening.

#5410642 - 11/10/14 11:31 AM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
landsurveyor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Annetta TX
I love the morning hunts regardless of deer activity. Nothing like a sunrise in the deer stand. Oh and two of my biggest bucks were taken in the morning.

#5410645 - 11/10/14 11:31 AM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
I've seen some of the best deer in mid afternoon, but my personal best was killed early in the morning.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5410720 - 11/10/14 11:58 AM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
Two of my biggest bucks were taken on morning hunts. That said, I typically see more mature bucks during the evening hunt.

#5410732 - 11/10/14 12:03 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
ccoker Online   content
Veteran Tracker

My best two bucks were mid morning, 10:30 or so on different properties 2 hundred miles apart at different times of the year.

Disclosure statement
Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

#5410776 - 11/10/14 12:19 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
Dry Fire Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I'm the opposite, I've never taken a mature buck on the evening hunt.

#5410803 - 11/10/14 12:31 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
So as I was sitting in the high rack yesterday morning facing down a 20 mph SW wind and watching a 4.5 year old 130" 9 point feed in the road, it struck me that I have never harvested a large mature WT in the A.M. hours of the day. For that matter as I was sitting there contemplating "relaxing" in the face of the 20 mph wind after rising @ 5:15 A.M. to do so, I am not sure I have even ever encountered what I would consider a "shooter" over the last 15 years of serious trophy hunting in the A.M. hours. I have killed several big WT and each and everyone of them has been in the afternoon or evening. I have harvested a few management bucks in the A.M. and seen deer in the A.M., just not ultimately what I am looking for. I guess my question is, "Why do I hunt in the mornings?" I hunt to kill big bucks, and I hunt to relax; and I am not sure I am doing either under the circumstances I described. I will say I do feel guilty if I don't wake up in the mornings and hunt or I feel is if I am missing out, its just that the evidence doesn't back up those feelings. Anybody else feel the same way and what are your early morning experiences, thoughts, etc.....

popcorn they make it look soooo easy on t.v. best wishes on your trophy hunt flag

i'm postaddic

#5410809 - 11/10/14 12:34 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
Gone to Texas Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
I have not had much luck in the morning either. I see the most action during the evening.

I was told that hunting in the afternoon always sucks, is that true?

#5410813 - 11/10/14 12:35 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: colt.45]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Originally Posted By: tShawnB

popcorn they make it look soooo easy on t.v. best wishes on your trophy hunt flag
Yes, sometimes I wish I could just cut to the scene where the big one appears. Who knows, maybe this is the year I kill a big one in the morning.

#5410820 - 11/10/14 12:37 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: Gone to Texas]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
I have not had much luck in the morning either. I see the most action during the evening.

I was told that hunting in the afternoon always sucks, is that true?
I have killed two big bucks around 1 pm and my biggest @ 3 pm, so I like the afternoons. Generally I hunt till 10-10:30, go grab a bite to eat and get back to it around 12:30-1:00 this time of year.

#5410883 - 11/10/14 01:04 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: SMTX
The biggest bucks taken off our ranch in Pleasanton have been between 2:00 and 3:00pm, and 5:30 and 6:00pm.

#5410906 - 11/10/14 01:12 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: landsurveyor]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
I love the morning hunts regardless of deer activity. Nothing like a sunrise in the deer stand. Oh and two of my biggest bucks were taken in the morning.

x2 on morning in the stand. I have killed a lot of deer in the morning. I also feel it can be slow and feel guilty if I only go out in the afternoon. However if isn't cold enough for a deer to keep reasonably overnight or I may risk not harvesting the meat I really hate taking one in the last hours of the day even if its a stud. I prefer to have all day to kill, track, clean, etc, than worry at night, loose an animal, make mistakes from being tired.

Anytime in the stand is good time though can't get out enough kill or no kill.

#5410980 - 11/10/14 01:39 PM Re: Mornings, really? [Re: tShawnB]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

It depends on the ranch. Hill Country ranch I managed was more morning hunts when we killed trophy bucks. My place now in Goliad County is always much better for mornings to see bucks compared to evenings. Last ranch I managed in eastern Central Texas was more afternoon hunts for trophy bucks than mornings. Ranch in South Texas was much better early season in evenings and during the rut the mornings for trophy bucks. If the weather was overcast, cold and damp you could kill a buck anytime during the day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide