Forum Stats
60479 Members
45 Forums
476205 Topics
6246828 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5410426 - 11/10/14 10:29 AM Need advice!!!!
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Forney,tx
So this is my first year now hunting, I've been hunting hard 2-3 times a week since September an have yet connect. This past week I've been getting more deer movement. Yesterday I had a young buck come through in the morning barely legal, then last night I saw 2-3 but one with a huge body had to be a buck, bigger than the one from the morning. The deer was coming through then stopped and disappeared, being curious I walked over where he was walking through and I found a very nice trail that I didn't know was there and a scrape that was like 3 ft long and 2 ft wide. My mock scrape I made is less than 20 yards from this scrape and I have a dripper with dominate buck that has been dripping for 2 weeks. So what does this mean? Why would he make a scrape away from my mock scrape? Granted I only hunt public and this is getting frustrating it does seem I'm getting closer to killing a deer with my bow. So what would you do now set up closer to the trail? I can't put out feed cause baiting is not allowed, can't put up a camera cause someone will steal it, but I'm out of ideas. I'm getting out smarted that's for sure.

#5410458 - 11/10/14 10:37 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Originally Posted By: duckslayer1206
So this is my first year now hunting, I've been hunting hard 2-3 times a week since September an have yet connect. This past week I've been getting more deer movement. Yesterday I had a young buck come through in the morning barely legal, then last night I saw 2-3 but one with a huge body had to be a buck, bigger than the one from the morning. The deer was coming through then stopped and disappeared, being curious I walked over where he was walking through and I found a very nice trail that I didn't know was there and a scrape that was like 3 ft long and 2 ft wide. My mock scrape I made is less than 20 yards from this scrape and I have a dripper with dominate buck that has been dripping for 2 weeks. So what does this mean? Why would he make a scrape away from my mock scrape? Granted I only hunt public and this is getting frustrating it does seem I'm getting closer to killing a deer with my bow. So what would you do now set up closer to the trail? I can't put out feed cause baiting is not allowed, can't put up a camera cause someone will steal it, but I'm out of ideas. I'm getting out smarted that's for sure.

trout

Some of these questions are…. interesting. BEst of lUck

#5410490 - 11/10/14 10:43 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
I've watched deer at scrapes and from what I've seen, they all seem to use them and check them out. I've seen does and bucks alike stop and give them a sniff. I've seen multiple bucks using the same scrape. Likewise, I've seen deer totally ignore them. I've seen does pee on them as well. IMHO, a scrape isn't owned by one buck but more like a sign post where different deer "check in" and leave their mark. I simply use it as a sign that there may be a dominant buck in the area.

If you're seeing significant travel on the trail that you mentioned then it might be a good idea to set up within range of the trail.

Other than that, I can only suggest and encourage persistence.

#5410496 - 11/10/14 10:45 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
landsurveyor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Annetta TX
Sounds like your setup is good and you are getting activity. I would be patient and hunt as much as you can.

#5410523 - 11/10/14 10:52 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: landsurveyor]
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: SMTX
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Sounds like your setup is good and you are getting activity. I would be patient and hunt as much as you can.

^^^

#5410549 - 11/10/14 10:58 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog

Deer hunting was easy when I was a kid we had a lease in the hill country the feeder would go off pick one and shoot. But when the lease price got to the point where my dad and I couldn't afford it we started hunting public. This is where I learned how hard deer hunting can be, you actually have to hunt them not wait for the feeder. I guess I was spoiled as a kid got used to seeing 15-20 deer at a time. I like my spot, but I only see deer the first hour and the last hour. Which indicated they are still running at night correct? And I plan on setting closer but there is only 2 spots I can see the trail I can setup without getting busted. Thanks for explaining the scrape I thought one dominant buck makes it to mark his area. I know some of my questions seem dumb just still getting use to hunting this way, trial and error till I connect. The time in the stand and the money spent on supplies will be all worth it when I actually able to tag a deer with my bow. Were out of deer meat so I'm ready to tag!

#5410568 - 11/10/14 11:06 AM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
GUTIT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Caddo Mills, Texas
You seem to be doing fine, keep at it and enjoy yourself. There is no "dumb" question, only the one not asked. Most of us are here to help all we can. Don't let the unneeded, ignorant comments take away your enjoyment.

You and that buck just have to outwit one another. Hopefully you win.
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

#5410872 - 11/10/14 01:01 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog

I don't worry bout comments just thankful for the advise I do receive, everyone has been where I am at and the only way to learn is to ask or trial and error.

#5410887 - 11/10/14 01:05 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
It is still trial and error for the most experienced hunters. That is what makes it so fun. There is no magic bullet except patience and persistence.

#5410890 - 11/10/14 01:06 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog

I usually duck hunt more than deer but for some reason this year I'm putting more time into deer hunting. I don't know I just don't give up easy I'm hoping I do outwit him.

#5411084 - 11/10/14 02:10 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
RDNCK Offline
Tracker

Loc: Forney
You're on the right path. As said already try and find a spot close to the trail and remain patient. It'll pay off for you eventually and you'll love it even more once your hard work pays off

#5411139 - 11/10/14 02:43 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
Texas buckeye Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
You were used to shooting and not hunting.

Now you are hunting. It takes a different breed to actually enjoy the hunt as much as the shot, that's what this forum is for. Learning, sharing, bragging, all about hunting and not just shooting (although there's a sub-forum or two for that). I know plenty of people that would rather die hungry than learn to hunt. It is fun and rewarding but at the same time mind boggling and frustrating. Sounds kind of like marriage.

Sounds like you are doing the right things, so just keep at it and eventually you will connect. Is there any chance he could smell you?

#5411147 - 11/10/14 02:49 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: LandPirate]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I've watched deer at scrapes and from what I've seen, they all seem to use them and check them out. I've seen does and bucks alike stop and give them a sniff. I've seen multiple bucks using the same scrape. Likewise, I've seen deer totally ignore them. I've seen does pee on them as well. IMHO, a scrape isn't owned by one buck but more like a sign post where different deer "check in" and leave their mark. I simply use it as a sign that there may be a dominant buck in the area.

If you're seeing significant travel on the trail that you mentioned then it might be a good idea to set up within range of the trail.

Other than that, I can only suggest and encourage persistence.

X's2

I have 5 buck made scrapes with-in a 60' radius on my small place. I cleared a spot 3 weeks ago with my tractor bucket, that was the 1st spot and they started using it as well. Does will P in them to signal they are getting ready, then that sent is tracked all over hell and back on their hooves, buck checks scrape and follows trail, nose to ground. I have seen many different bucks at theses scrapes, it is a "sign post" as LP said, my Grandfather called them "whore house open" signs grin

Stay at it, you are learning things that will help you for a lifetime. Watch how deer react to your mock scrape and how they interact around each other at them, then file it away as you build a library of intel each year.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5411152 - 11/10/14 02:52 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
BTW, It has been my experience, that a scrape the size you mention, is generally made by a bigger buck, or at least a good one. 3'x4' is allot of pent up frustration and is a statement.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5411265 - 11/10/14 03:42 PM Re: Need advice!!!! [Re: duckslayer1206]
duckslayer1206 Offline
Bird Dog

I'll take a picture of it this week and see y'all's thoughts, I noticed 2-3 different size tracks in the scrape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide