Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5416264 11/12/14 09:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Never shot a deer in the shoulder with a standard caliber gun that took a step.

Best thing ever is to see their back legs fold up and their butt hit the ground a second before the rest of them does

You want a DRT shot? You have to break bone and disrupt the central nervous system

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Neck Shots [Re: NTXBowfisher] #5416419 11/12/14 10:54 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher
its up to the shooter, you need to be honest with yourself about your shooting ability, if your not 100% comfortable with that shot don't take it.

^ This. I've taken head, neck and body shots. Depends on the shot and the gun I'm using. I've never had a deer that I took a head or neck shot on get up. I've seen plenty of wounded deer with good shots to the body, and honestly I think you have a better shot of wounding going for the body. You can't gut shoot a deer in the neck. You are taking a shot at lungs and spine.

Re: Neck Shots [Re: krmitchell] #5416447 11/12/14 11:11 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
its up to the shooter, you need to be honest with yourself about your shooting ability, if your not 100% comfortable with that shot don't take it.

^ This. I've taken head, neck and body shots. Depends on the shot and the gun I'm using. I've never had a deer that I took a head or neck shot on get up. I've seen plenty of wounded deer with good shots to the body, and honestly I think you have a better shot of wounding going for the body. You can't gut shoot a deer in the neck. You are taking a shot at lungs and spine.
'

Lungs are in the neck?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Neck Shots [Re: MELackey] #5416858 11/13/14 02:20 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: MELackey
you guys do what you want. I shoot them in the butt, right where the tail meets the arse end, in the top 1/3rd. He can't run without his jumpers if you break his spine and disable the back legs. peep

You are probably joking, and not that what you said is against the law because it isn't as far as I know, but I know of a guy that would do this exact thing.
He also was known to be a person who considered any lease rules as being for the other guy. He was known to cross fences without permission and also had some run ins with the law, and had been kicked off leases before.
Once it was rumored that he wanted to get on the lease I'm on, and I told the lease manager that if he let him on the lease, to look for another gun because I would not be on the lease.
Call me a snob or whatever, but the guy was a cancer and probably still is.

Last edited by Jimbo; 11/13/14 02:21 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5416959 11/13/14 02:53 AM
10 point Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

If you know your gun and confident in your ability to make the shot go for it you will hit or miss!

Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5417016 11/13/14 03:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
There is no perfect shot without perfect shot placement.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Neck Shots [Re: krmitchell] #5417034 11/13/14 03:20 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

No you can't but you can cut his esophagus with a "miss" and not find him. That deer will not make it very long either.

Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5417076 11/13/14 03:33 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have no problem taking neck shots if im offered the shot and I have a good steady rest and Im comfortable with the distance. I havent had one get up on me yet, O but I forgot about the time stxranchman and another friend of ours hid a mounted 10pt back in the brush with only the neck and head showing. The top drive stopped abruptly and stxranchman pointed out to me were this buck was hiding behind some brush on a fence row. I only had a neck shot and the owner of the ranch gave me the green light, I should have known something was up I could count the points through my scope which was 10 and I was only allowed to shoot management 8pts. Woodbury's did a great job on the mount. I took not 1 but 3 shots to the neck, I guess I got lost in the moment and stxranchman telling me you shot over him. Not until the third shot and pieces of form flying did I realize I had been got. I still get a good laugh thinking about it. I will tell you my rifle was dead on,all 3 shots were within a 1/4 inch of each other. Thanks stxranchman.

Re: Neck Shots [Re: BowsnRods] #5417235 11/13/14 04:49 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I have no problem taking neck shots if im offered the shot and I have a good steady rest and Im comfortable with the distance. I havent had one get up on me yet, O but I forgot about the time stxranchman and another friend of ours hid a mounted 10pt back in the brush with only the neck and head showing. The top drive stopped abruptly and stxranchman pointed out to me were this buck was hiding behind some brush on a fence row. I only had a neck shot and the owner of the ranch gave me the green light, I should have known something was up I could count the points through my scope which was 10 and I was only allowed to shoot management 8pts. Woodbury's did a great job on the mount. I took not 1 but 3 shots to the neck, I guess I got lost in the moment and stxranchman telling me you shot over him. Not until the third shot and pieces of form flying did I realize I had been got. I still get a good laugh thinking about it. I will tell you my rifle was dead on,all 3 shots were within a 1/4 inch of each other. Thanks stxranchman.

That's a good one!

Best ranch prank I ever heard

Re: Neck Shots [Re: txtrophy85] #5417390 11/13/14 11:39 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods

That's a good one!

Best ranch prank I ever heard

That is not really the whole complete story of what really happened though..... peep

Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5417401 11/13/14 12:00 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Lets hear it then....

Re: Neck Shots [Re: Jimbo] #5417519 11/13/14 01:43 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: MELackey
you guys do what you want. I shoot them in the butt, right where the tail meets the arse end, in the top 1/3rd. He can't run without his jumpers if you break his spine and disable the back legs. peep

You are probably joking, and not that what you said is against the law because it isn't as far as I know, but I know of a guy that would do this exact thing.
He also was known to be a person who considered any lease rules as being for the other guy. He was known to cross fences without permission and also had some run ins with the law, and had been kicked off leases before.
Once it was rumored that he wanted to get on the lease I'm on, and I told the lease manager that if he let him on the lease, to look for another gun because I would not be on the lease.
Call me a snob or whatever, but the guy was a cancer and probably still is.

Yes, I was joking. It depends on the deer, the distance, and what my mood is that day. I tend to shoot more deer in the neck, but that's generally when they are within 100-150 yards. There are plenty of opportunities on does at closer ranges, so I usually don't shoot them at longer ranges. I like a neck shot, closer to where the neck meets the shoulder. I get laughed at sometimes at the ranch, but I sometimes let them walk to the edge of one of the ranch roads and then neck shoot them. They drop on the spot and I don't have to drag them to a point that I can load them in the truck.

Re: Neck Shots [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5417574 11/13/14 02:18 PM
T
Troutfisch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Quick story:

Several years back I was hunting with Dad on a lease west of Menard. On the last day of our hunt, a decent 8 point stepped into the open. I took the shot and we watched him pile up on the road.

As we approached the deer Dad quickly asked me,

"Son, where were you aiming when you shot him?"
"Behind the shoulder, why?"
"Well, there is an entry wound in his neck right here!"
"Ok, but the hole I made is here..."

It didn't take us very long to realize that the buck had survived a low neck shot from another hunter. The wound was festering and the deer was in rough shape (very malnourished) and had a TERRIBLE odor to him. I tagged him, but the stench was too much to salvage the meat.

After that I gave up neck shots altogether.

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Neck Shots [Re: stxranchman] #5417603 11/13/14 02:39 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

'

Lungs are in the neck?

Esophagus was the word I was thinking while my hands typed lungs.....

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

No you can't but you can cut his esophagus with a "miss" and not find him. That deer will not make it very long either.

Agreed, but again back to shot placement. A poor one in the body can have a similar result.

Re: Neck Shots [Re: krmitchell] #5417638 11/13/14 02:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

'

Lungs are in the neck?

Esophagus was the word I was thinking while my hands typed lungs.....

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Agreed, but again back to shot placement. A poor one in the body can have a similar result.

Yes, but your margin for error is about 6x more. And that's just considering vital target area. If you consider likelihood of movement it's probably 10 (or more) times more. Kinda the point of the entire discussion.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide