Print Thread
Not enough does?... #5407389 11/09/14 12:21 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Well, I have been seeing ALOT of bucks.Big and small but have only caught 2 does on the tail cam. Should I be concerned that the bucks will leave during rut? Thanks for the input in advance.

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407402 11/09/14 12:33 AM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I am having the exact same problem, a lot of young bucks, but I have only seen 2 doe since opening of bow season.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407412 11/09/14 12:38 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
popcorn

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407466 11/09/14 01:21 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If you have a good buck to doe ratio of all age classes on bucks, the younger bucks will run the does so much the doe will stop hitting the feeders. If they need the corn then they will return. I am seeing the same thing here in the morning with mainly bucks and few doe. The evenings is the opposite almost all doe and a few bucks.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407554 11/09/14 02:14 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J

I quit seeing this guy lately. Which I'm wondering if It isn't because of less does

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407559 11/09/14 02:15 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Could he have been killed by a hunter or poacher?

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407570 11/09/14 02:19 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I guess it's possible. He seamed to be real nocturnal. So maybe I'll see him again.

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407579 11/09/14 02:25 AM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Most poachers work at night, hope that's not the case. Good luck to you on him.

Last edited by Mambajeep; 11/09/14 02:26 AM.

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407607 11/09/14 02:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I was at a meeting where a man who did a study for the Noble Foundation on deer movement and how it changed with hunting pressure. It was done in Southern Oklahoma. They tagged close to 30 bucks each year on a LF ranch. I can not remember the exact number of bucks that were poached out of the 60 or so bucks in 2 yrs but it was more than I would have thought. It seems like it was 6-8 total.

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407609 11/09/14 02:37 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Here is a link. I was off on my numbers a bit but it was 57 bucks collared and 8 were poached.
http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/deerpoaching/

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: stxranchman] #5407623 11/09/14 02:41 AM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you have a good buck to doe ratio of all age classes on bucks, the younger bucks will run the does so much the doe will stop hitting the feeders. If they need the corn then they will return. I am seeing the same thing here in the morning with mainly bucks and few doe. The evenings is the opposite almost all doe and a few bucks.

lol35 you are just crazy

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: stxranchman] #5407661 11/09/14 02:55 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Here is a link. I was off on my numbers a bit but it was 57 bucks collared and 8 were poached.
at the bottom of the article, it talks about suspicious people. There were 3 guys walking down my road and by the woods were I hunt (which is through another guys yard that I have permission to go through) and when they realized I was watching them, the walked back by me and were asking where they could find "lake access". Why wouldn't they have fishing poles? Also, they seemed they know exactly were they were goin... I may need to set a trail cam were they can't see and make sure they ain't coming through my property poaching my deer I'm feeding. I have no respect for poachers! realmad duel

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407682 11/09/14 03:02 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Turkeyslayer1221
at the bottom of the article, it talks about suspicious people. There were 3 guys walking down my road and by the woods were I hunt (which is through another guys yard that I have permission to go through) and when they realized I was watching them, the walked back by me and were asking where they could find "lake access". Why wouldn't they have fishing poles? Also, they seemed they know exactly were they were goin... I may need to set a trail cam were they can't see and make sure they ain't coming through my property poaching my deer I'm feeding. I have no respect for poachers! realmad duel

That study was done on less than 5,000 acres out of one ranch. I would hate to see what the numbers would be county wide or statewide crazy

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: stxranchman] #5407685 11/09/14 03:03 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Turkeyslayer1221

That study was done on less than 5,000 acres out of one ranch. I would hate to see what the numbers would be county wide or statewide crazy
no doubt

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407709 11/09/14 03:21 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Got this in the weekly update from OK Wildlife

Oklahoma game wardens busy during long, hot summer
While the hot weather has kept many Oklahomans inside in the air conditioning, unfortunately it has not kept poachers from taking advantage of the states wildlife resources, nor has it stopped game wardens from enforcing the state’s game laws.
“It’s no fun to be out there in the heat, but the Wildlife Department takes pride in working hard to stop the illegal taking of wildlife. We’ll be out there as long as the poachers are,” said Robert Fleenor, law enforcement chief for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.
Recently, game wardens in McCurtain County were sitting on a mountaintop while on patrol when they observed someone spotlighting deer more than 10 miles away on Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area. When game wardens contacted the two suspects that night, they were shining a spotlight over a clearcut on the public hunting area. They had no firearms with them at the time, but an observant warden spotted traces of blood and hair in the bed of their truck. A search of the suspect’s cell phone revealed pictures of two deer with antlers still in velvet. Upon further questioning the suspects admitted to killing the two bucks out of season and also admitted to killing more than 20 other bucks in recent years while violating many game laws.
“Poachers are not hunters, any more than shoplifters are customers at a store,” Fleenor said. “Wildlife violators make up just a small number compared to the thousands of sportsmen who respect and follow our state’s wildlife laws, but those who do violate the law take something away from other hunters and everyone in Oklahoma who enjoys wildlife.”
The pair will face charges of taking deer in closed season, illegally possessing deer parts, removing the antlers and other possible charges in McCurtain County District Court. A conviction could result in a suspension of the hunting license and could be ordered to pay fines, court costs and mandatory restitution of up to $10,000.
Additionally, through the Wildlife Department’s involvement in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, a hunting license revocation would apply in at least 34 other participating states. Recently the Wildlife Department joined the compact, which assures that illegal hunters who violate certain game laws in member states will receive the same treatment as residents of the state in which the violation occurred.
“Also, recently there has been a case of spotlighting deer in Atoka County that wardens have investigated and an anonymous tip from the Operation Game Thief hotline resulted in a pair of citations for a hunter who poached two deer near Mooreland,” Fleenor said.
Operation Game Thief (800-522-8039) offers cash rewards to those who provide tips that lead to a conviction for wildlife violations.
Game wardens in central Oklahoma are taking advantage of the drought that has resulted in low lake levels at Arcadia, Carl Blackwell, and Thunderbird lakes.
“As the water receded at these lakes it revealed another wildlife violation – placement of barrels in the lake. Noodlers illegally place these barrels in the lakes to make it easier to target catfish when they use them as spawning structures in the early summer,” Fleenor said.
It is unlawful to use and/or place into lakes and reservoirs of Oklahoma any container, including but not limited to drums, cans, tubs, boxes or barrels, which attract, entice or lure fish into an open cavity within the container.
Game wardens from across the area joined forces and waded through mud to remove over 100 of the illegal structures from the lakes.
Game wardens are employees of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, the state agency charged with conserving Oklahoma’s wildlife. For more information about the Wildlife Department, log on to wildlifedepartment.com.

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5407710 11/09/14 03:21 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I thought this was interesting

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5408865 11/09/14 10:06 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
back

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5409112 11/10/14 12:03 AM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
It all depends on your buck to doe ratio. If they are fairly even, the bucks will still be there

Last edited by JRJ6; 11/10/14 12:04 AM.
Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5409337 11/10/14 01:48 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I have a pic I could post again that could possibly
make a statement on the lack of doe in an area but I won't even bother. up

Re: Not enough does?... [Re: Jtmeeks] #5409350 11/10/14 01:53 AM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
we have plenty of does in Hardeman Ctny this year..usually 5-6-7 at the feeders every hunt..lots more out on the wheat that cross the road..Bucks have their choice..

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide