Forums46
Topics537,794
Posts9,729,214
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: stxranchman] #5404932 11/07/14 04:06 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Most folks would agree they don't agree with the new age "everyone gets a trophy" mentality......it cheapens the trophy. popcorn

Are those folks still killing a buck confused2 popcorn

Yes, but they started using *.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: rifleman] #5404942 11/07/14 04:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Irrelevant, any sane person would shoot the 150. Want to go that angle then put a 160" 3yo in front of someone and a 140" 7yo and see if that spirit of letting deer get older fades away. Old, big deer are not a new fad.

Old big deer is a new fad, big antler deer have always been shot no matter what their age was. People did not look into a deer's mouth to age him till recent times. They always looked at the antlers first and foremost. They kept the antlers as a trophy.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: rifleman] #5404955 11/07/14 04:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Irrelevant, any sane person would shoot the 150. Want to go that angle then put a 160" 3yo in front of someone and a 140" 7yo and see if that spirit of letting deer get older fades away. Old, big deer are not a new fad.

What I mean is no mater what people tell you what they want is a big buck yet they pay no attention to what it requires to get one. Most commonly age.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Navasot] #5404960 11/07/14 04:19 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac
So I guess whatever TPWD writes up is gospel. I could give a rats butt about what they write up, I go by what I see. An article aint growing horns any bigger on my lease. Maybe I should nail articles in the woods for the deer to read. We've had 1 legal buck taken off lease so far since AR's, that was last week. So not ready to give any cudos yet.

How long you had the lease

10 yrs on lease. 4th yr with AR's. Im sure that this rule will give more more bucks time to mature and get wider racks. But with that being said, there are many more pizz poor bucks that are getting to infect does with thier crappy genes as well. We dont have the cull option as many do that are on forum. So these guys are taking what many consider a decent deer out of thier gene pool cuz they are not considered worthy. Many in AR counties would love to have that option but we dont.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: rifleman] #5404968 11/07/14 04:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Most folks would agree they don't agree with the new age "everyone gets a trophy" mentality......it cheapens the trophy. popcorn

Have you added a * beside you and the wife's "trophy bucks" you had mounted and on your walls? popcorn

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Navasot] #5404970 11/07/14 04:22 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I actually feel like a few not all but some posting against ARs are all about managing a deer herd and not wanting to shoot the first young buck that comes out... its more of they feel they have the right to shoot what they want.. I agree in the thought of this and would love to see everyone in the same boat. But the cold hard truth is you turn everyone loose and they will not have the same mindset as yall... they will just shoot the first thing that comes out just like some still shoot the first legal thing that comes out. Its not hard to see that some of yall against ARs are wanting to run your place right but the majority of hunters against it are not with you no matter how it seems.

Sad but true. I just think hunters as a whole are much more management minded today than they were 20 years ago regardless of whether or not there are antler regulations. The promotion of healthy herd management is everywhere these days compared to what it was like 20 years ago. There just really aren't that many hunters out there any more that just shoot deer indiscriminantly to fill a tag.

I am of the belief that you can much more effectively manage a deer herd if you are allowed to shoot what you want/need to manage the deer herd. Sometimes this might mean culling out a few 12" deer, sometimes this might mean letting a few of the older bucks walk, and vice versa. Having a blanket regulation eliminating an entire portion of the deer population from being able to be harvested in my mind restricts what could be more effective herd management. This makes the herd dynamic run in cycles where you will have a large portion of the buck population in the 1-3 yr old age class (resricted from harvest), and a smaller portion in the 3-6 yr age class until such time as those 1-3 yr old deer mature and then the cycle reverses. Then you have a bunch of old deer and a few young deer. If hunters we able to harvest as they needed, this cycle could be balanced more effectively.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: whitewing maniac] #5404972 11/07/14 04:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
So I guess whatever TPWD writes up is gospel. I could give a rats butt about what they write up, I go by what I see. An article aint growing horns any bigger on my lease. Maybe I should nail articles in the woods for the deer to read. We've had 1 legal buck taken off lease so far since AR's, that was last week. So not ready to give any cudos yet.

How long you had the lease

10 yrs on lease. 4th yr with AR's. Im sure that this rule will give more more bucks time to mature and get wider racks. But with that being said, there are many more pizz poor bucks that are getting to infect does with thier crappy genes as well. We dont have the cull option as many do that are on forum. So these guys are taking what many consider a decent deer out of thier gene pool cuz they are not considered worthy. Many in AR counties would love to have that option but we dont.

Cull option?

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5404976 11/07/14 04:24 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
RM I'm not buying the "cameras saved the big deer" theory. There were some big east TX deer killed before ARs-but most of them were in the years just after the seasons opened. A biggun would pop up now and again, sure. But I had a pretty good handle on what guys were killing (we even had cameras back then and the east TX "internet" was pretty broad and fast) and we have been living in the best days ever overall in the last 5 years. By far...

There were a lot of big deer getting killed. I had cameras back in the late 90s, I didn't start getting a lot of good deer on camera until I had more storage space with SD cards and figured out to get the cams off the feeders. There were studs coming from a stretch over around you, but like a lot of landowners they didn't want every Tom, Dick & Harry hugging their land from public so only a few folks got to see them. There was internet, but there wasn't much social media and not everyone wasn't walking around with smart phones quite yet. Take for example, I've sat down at a computer and emailed someone pictures twice over the past 2 years, I'd venture to say I've texted out more in the past week. Take that fine buck PP posted, what are the odds either of us would've known about that deer?

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: agsellers04] #5404989 11/07/14 04:28 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: agsellers04
I actually feel like a few not all but some posting against ARs are all about managing a deer herd and not wanting to shoot the first young buck that comes out... its more of they feel they have the right to shoot what they want.. I agree in the thought of this and would love to see everyone in the same boat. But the cold hard truth is you turn everyone loose and they will not have the same mindset as yall... they will just shoot the first thing that comes out just like some still shoot the first legal thing that comes out. Its not hard to see that some of yall against ARs are wanting to run your place right but the majority of hunters against it are not with you no matter how it seems.

Sad but true. I just think hunters as a whole are much more management minded today than they were 20 years ago regardless of whether or not there are antler regulations. The promotion of healthy herd management is everywhere these days compared to what it was like 20 years ago. There just really aren't that many hunters out there any more that just shoot deer indiscriminantly to fill a tag.

I am of the belief that you can much more effectively manage a deer herd if you are allowed to shoot what you want/need to manage the deer herd. Sometimes this might mean culling out a few 12" deer, sometimes this might mean letting a few of the older bucks walk, and vice versa. Having a blanket regulation eliminating an entire portion of the deer population from being able to be harvested in my mind restricts what could be more effective herd management. This makes the herd dynamic run in cycles where you will have a large portion of the buck population in the 1-3 yr old age class (resricted from harvest), and a smaller portion in the 3-6 yr age class until such time as those 1-3 yr old deer mature and then the cycle reverses. Then you have a bunch of old deer and a few young deer. If hunters we able to harvest as they needed, this cycle could be balanced more effectively.

Agree... I would love to see a rule of 3yr old+ deer shot only BUT 13inches wide is easier to dumb teach and would cause even more of an uproar I would assume.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: stxranchman] #5404990 11/07/14 04:29 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Have you added a * beside you and the wife's "trophy bucks" you had mounted and on your walls? popcorn

My wife doesn't have a WT mounted since AR, hers are from prior. Mine are wall decorations that beat anything else except Carter portraits. I can assure you that more have died of old age that I've opted not to shoot than are mounted on the wall. I would also have more pre-AR than post mounted.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5404996 11/07/14 04:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
IDK buddy. I agree my sampling area was smaller, but my coverage was thorough. There wasn't much "non-disclosure" back then. Big bucks were something to show off and be proud of. All the "cloak and dagger" stuff came later....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: rifleman] #5404999 11/07/14 04:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

My wife doesn't have a WT mounted since AR, hers are from prior. Mine are wall decorations that beat anything else except Carter portraits. I can assure you that more have died of old age that I've opted not to shoot than are mounted on the wall. I would also have more pre-AR than post mounted.

Those options not to shoot and let die of old age were the before AR's and still there today, correct? Do you tell people that the deer you have mounted post AR's with an * are just that, post AR deer? Which have you hunted longer- pre AR or AR's? I am betting you are like most hunters, you are more picky about what you put your tag on today then 15 yrs ago.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: rifleman] #5405015 11/07/14 04:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

And the reason your wife does not have anything mounted is that you are garholing her with blind selection for her. grin

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405019 11/07/14 04:43 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Why do we see all these "age this buck" threads now? Every day there is at least one. Why don't they just post up "Is it legal" threads?

NP, you contradict yourself. First you say that the law was passed because everybody was shooting every deer they saw. Then in the same dang thread you say that most folks pass on shooting spikes even though they are legal. Do you not see the contradiction in your own statements?

As far as 90% of hunters being in favor, that's about the most laughable thing I think I've ever read. Maybe the majority of people on this internet forum are for them but I can pretty much guarantee you if it went to a vote it would fail miserably. I even posted a thread about it a while back proposing a vote at the time of purchasing a license and even the Pro AR guys posted saying they don't want to see that because they know it would fail. I can think of around 30 friends/family that are avid hunters. Of those 30 or so people exactly 1 of them are on the internet...ME. Also out of those 30 people maybe 2-3 of them would vote in favor of that ridiculous restriction. Obviously you will not change your mind and I will not change mine but at least pull your head out of the sand and be willing see what's REALLY happening vs what you WANT to happen.

Greed, jealousy, and ignorance of how to manage a deer herd were the driving force behind the restrictions.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405037 11/07/14 04:50 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I don't understand greed, jealousy by who, please explain?

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Jkd106] #5405041 11/07/14 04:52 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Jkd106
I don't understand greed, jealousy by who, please explain?

By the whining people that pushed to have the regs instated in the first place. Since they could not grow big bucks on their own they pushed to make everyone else hunt by their standards.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405056 11/07/14 04:58 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Oh ok.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405068 11/07/14 05:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
If the voting goes by residents of the county bring it on. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405069 11/07/14 05:02 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
So I'm not against or for AR's, I live in an AR county and I pay to hunt in a non AR county. Are the non-AR counties that way because of the number deer or ?

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Navasot] #5405071 11/07/14 05:03 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If the voting goes by residents of the county bring it on. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea.

That's exactly what I would like to happen. If you live in a AR County you would be able to vote when you purchase your license. A very simple "for" or "against" at the time of purchase is all it would take.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: BowSlayer] #5405078 11/07/14 05:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Why do we see all these "age this buck" threads now? Every day there is at least one. Why don't they just post up "Is it legal" threads?

NP, you contradict yourself. First you say that the law was passed because everybody was shooting every deer they saw. Then in the same dang thread you say that most folks pass on shooting spikes even though they are legal. Do you not see the contradiction in your own statements?

As far as 90% of hunters being in favor, that's about the most laughable thing I think I've ever read. Maybe the majority of people on this internet forum are for them but I can pretty much guarantee you if it went to a vote it would fail miserably. I even posted a thread about it a while back proposing a vote at the time of purchasing a license and even the Pro AR guys posted saying they don't want to see that because they know it would fail. I can think of around 30 friends/family that are avid hunters. Of those 30 or so people exactly 1 of them are on the internet...ME. Also out of those 30 people maybe 2-3 of them would vote in favor of that ridiculous restriction. Obviously you will not change your mind and I will not change mine but at least pull your head out of the sand and be willing see what's REALLY happening vs what you WANT to happen.

Greed, jealousy, and ignorance of how to manage a deer herd were the driving force behind the restrictions.

Read slowly. People used to shoot a lot of spikes. People don't shoot as many spikes anymore because they don't have to-thanks to ARs. Studies prove it. No contradiction.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: BowSlayer] #5405085 11/07/14 05:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

That's exactly what I would like to happen. If you live in a AR County you would be able to vote when you purchase your license. A very simple "for" or "against" at the time of purchase is all it would take.

You would be disappointed.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5405088 11/07/14 05:10 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Read slowly. People used to shoot a lot of spikes. People don't shoot as many spikes anymore because they don't have to-thanks to ARs. Studies prove it. No contradiction.

Bahahaha! Studies? That made my day! Please link me to 1, just 1 study done in Smith or Rusk County prior to or during the AR being put in place. roflmao

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Grosvenor] #5405089 11/07/14 05:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I can name two counties right now that if they took it to a vote it would not even be close. Vast majority of the LO's and hunters love the AR's that are in place in those counties.

Re: What the heck is going on in East Texas? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5405090 11/07/14 05:11 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

You would be disappointed.

No, I wouldn't. If they did that and it passed I would be satisfied that I'm in the minority.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide