6249216 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5401162 - 11/05/14 04:39 PM after the shot
Mr. Man Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Spring, Tx.
i went hunting on opening day of course. probably the best day of the year. i was shooting a .243 with remington core-lokt 100 grain bullets locked and loaded. around 8 am a nice 8 point walked out 80 yards away. i clicked the safety off and blasted away. i dropped the deer right in his tracks. he died very shortly after. when we went to load him in the truck we noticed that there was no exit hole and after turning him over there was no blood on the ground and really none even on his fur. i finally found the entry hole and it was in the correct vicinity of the ideal place to shoot a deer. i just wanted to ask why this was? what vital did i hit in order for this to happen and most importantly why didnt he bleed?

#5401166 - 11/05/14 04:42 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Where exactly did you aim? Was the deer perfectly broadside? I shot hit high point of the shoulder with .270 130 grain Remington CoreLokts and I rarely have the deer take step and almost never get a complete pass through on bucks. To much bone. They also never bleed much at all out of the nose or mouth and most of the blood stays in the chest cavity.

#5401189 - 11/05/14 04:55 PM Re: after the shot [Re: stxranchman]
Mr. Man Offline
Light Foot

he was quartering away from me just a hair and i aimed right behind the shoulder. there was no blood coming out of the nose or mouth. i just find that strange.

#5401224 - 11/05/14 05:12 PM Re: after the shot [Re: stxranchman]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Where exactly did you aim? Was the deer perfectly broadside? I shot hit high point of the shoulder with .270 130 grain Remington CoreLokts and I rarely have the deer take step and almost never get a complete pass through on bucks. To much bone. They also never bleed much at all out of the nose or mouth and most of the blood stays in the chest cavity.

Shot this 8pt Monday, same thing hit high shoulder, dropped, shattered the spine lungs, damaged very little meat. couldn't find entry, no exit, shooting 6.5 Weatherby magnum. A lethal shot.

Mr. Man, you must have blown up the lungs and top of heart. Next time, when you field dress your deer, do a "autopsy" of the wound. Great learning experience, keep recovered bullet for souvenir.

#5401305 - 11/05/14 05:52 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: Mr. Man
he was quartering away from me just a hair and i aimed right behind the shoulder. there was no blood coming out of the nose or mouth. i just find that strange.

With that shot angle the bullet might have hit a rib and went forward into neck/spine area causing the deer to drop in it's tracks. Same effect as a broadside high shoulder shot. With that small of a caliber the entry wound is small and if it was a bit high, then all the blood stayed in the chest cavity. When I clean a deer I have a lot of blood inside the chest.

#5401327 - 11/05/14 05:59 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

When his heart stops pumping the blood stays where it's at. Blood filled up his body cavity and he died before blood started spraying out of him. That's why rifle hunting is so much better than bow hunting. If you shoot an animal correctly there's no hide and seek.

#5401435 - 11/05/14 06:47 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

If all bullets could deliver all their energy within the animal, given they carry enough to do the job, there would be fewer lost deer.

It points the basic principle behind bullets that mushroom on impact without breaking apart.

I've seen guys who spend more time studying the bullet found in the animal than the animal itself.

It also brings to mind how an animal can run any distance with it's heart and lungs destroyed. I once heard an ole timer describing it as "running dead", which I take as using only the blood left in its veins.

Spring, Texas

#5401478 - 11/05/14 07:05 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
Don't be squeamish. Dive in while cleaning the deer and see what was hit. Like previously said, do an autopsy. You'll learn a lot if you care to.

#5401535 - 11/05/14 07:22 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

You would necropsy an animal. If you gut then skin and quarter you should have found your answers.

#5401755 - 11/05/14 08:44 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I shot a buck like that with he same 100gr corelokt, only he was quartering to me. I punched him directly in the near shoulder and he dropped like a grenade went off. My dad went to help me load him and we could not find entrance or exit, but is shoulder was busted to hell. Later found the bullet under the hide behind the far shoulder. Heart and lower lungs were gelatinized.

Strangely, I've shot several others through the shoulder with that same bullet and gotten complete pass throughs.

#5401962 - 11/05/14 09:57 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
It's no cause for concern. That bullet did exactly what it was designed to do. It hit something solid (your deer, congrats BTW) and spread out and put on the breaks, expending its' energy. It sounds like a bullet of proper weight, structure, and velocity hit the intended animal in the intended spot. Nothing to worry about.

A. Einstein

#5402101 - 11/05/14 11:59 PM Re: after the shot [Re: Slow Drifter]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
It's no cause for concern. That bullet did exactly what it was designed to do. It hit something solid (your deer, congrats BTW) and spread out and put on the breaks, expending its' energy. It sounds like a bullet of proper weight, structure, and velocity hit the intended animal in the intended spot. Nothing to worry about.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5402144 - 11/06/14 04:23 AM Re: after the shot [Re: Slow Drifter]
Mr. Man Offline
Light Foot

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

oh no concern here since he dropped. just very curious. would hate for him to have ran without leaving a blood trail though.

#5402152 - 11/06/14 04:41 AM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
davvy Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Ft Worth
If you do prefer a pass through for better blood trails when needed whilst causing equal amounts of internal damage I would recommend the tsx. My wife shoots them in her 243 and so far she's taken 7 deer all pass through. 5 dropped in there tracks. Two traveled less than 40 yards and left massive amounts of blood.

#5402231 - 11/06/14 06:34 AM Re: after the shot [Re: Mr. Man]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

The .243 is plenty of bullet for a well placed shot.

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide