Page 1 of 2 1 2
Public Coastal Hunt questions... #5400980 11/05/14 09:26 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Did any of you hunt a coastal area On opening day (Tuesday) for one of the coastal places? Don't want to name names, but I am sure those who know it, know what I am talking about.

Is the water higher, it states on their maps no pre-season scouting so I was not able to scout. Not asking good spots or if there was ducks. Just is the water low and only limited spots to hunt? Or is it too high and Hip waders will not work?

All I have right now are hip waders, and I would hate to do the drive and be SOL. Also with this rain we are having do you think it will still be necessary to camp out the night before in line?

Thanks guys!

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5400988 11/05/14 09:28 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Oh I forgot to add....

- Hotel Boy

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5400989 11/05/14 09:29 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I have a question for you... Why in the F did you buy hip waders before you bought a pair of chest waders?!

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: john paul] #5400993 11/05/14 09:32 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: john paul
I have a question for you... Why in the F did you buy hip waders before you bought a pair of chest waders?!

Because my first hunt was last year the last weekend of duck season.. It was a low lake, and Academy had them on Hot buy for 14.99 lol That's why haha

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401001 11/05/14 09:34 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
If I were you I'd go buy a pair of chest waders that way you don't have to worry about it.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: john paul] #5401004 11/05/14 09:35 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
If I were you I'd go buy a pair of chest waders that way you don't have to worry about it.

Working on it..

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401008 11/05/14 09:38 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

Working on it..

confused2

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: john paul] #5401110 11/05/14 10:13 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

The boy's a work in progress, doesn't happen overnight.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401147 11/05/14 10:30 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Why are yall bashing his wader situation? Sometimes a mans gotta work with what he has.. Maybe yall haven't been in that situation?

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5401181 11/05/14 10:51 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Why are yall bashing his wader situation? Sometimes a mans gotta work with what he has.. Maybe yall haven't been in that situation?

7 P's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. I would rather have waders and not need them, then need them and not have them.

If I thought I might need waders, I would go buy some so I didn't wake up at 2 in the morning to drive 30 minutes or more and find out I need them.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401465 11/06/14 12:59 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm all about use what ya got!! I will say though that hip waders and duck hunting is kinda like not having waders at all... I have both and everytime I wear the hoppers I get my butt soaked. Either from sitting on wet ground or brush, or stepping too deep on accident! I like having them around when I'm out of town in case it's hot and I can use them but frankly don't pack them very often.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401642 11/06/14 02:01 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Don't be hating on the hip waders. A lot of swamp rabbits died when I had them on.

[Linked Image]
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5401739 11/06/14 02:37 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Did any of you hunt a coastal area On opening day (Tuesday) for one of the coastal places? Don't want to name names, but I am sure those who know it, know what I am talking about.

Is the water higher, it states on their maps no pre-season scouting so I was not able to scout. Not asking good spots or if there was ducks. Just is the water low and only limited spots to hunt? Or is it too high and Hip waders will not work?

You do know there is this crazy thing called the TIDE! There is high and low TIDE. Last I checked the gulf was at full pool

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402197 11/06/14 12:02 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Google is your friend.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: john paul] #5402270 11/06/14 12:56 PM
S
Starett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
x2

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: Jeff Elder] #5402281 11/06/14 01:13 PM
T
TxDuck24 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

You do know there is this crazy thing called the TIDE! There is high and low TIDE. Last I checked the gulf was at full pool

X2

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402349 11/06/14 01:47 PM
G
G K Chambers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Fair question jtprocaddie.....with all the rain this week water levels might be questionable. Liked the pains you want to not to name the spot and avoid fire from the board....how did that work out for you?

Working on my fourth decade hunting the coast and wear nothing but hip boots. Every now & then I'll totter into an alligator slide or lose my balance setting decoys in the dark and go down. I'm kinda old school and learned about waterfowl hunting before the days of contemporary glossy magazine bearded armour clad extreme demigods with steely gazes scanning the skies. Back in the day when we went duck hunting we figured there was a real possibility that we would get wet.

We simply didn't know any better.

Call the WMA ahead and ask what the conditions are. It never hurts to be friendly with those folks. Go ahead and wear your hip boots and if you get wet so be it.

If you really can't bear the idea of getting wet get you some rubber boots and a cow decoy and sneak geese. A good way to stay dry but you might have to struggle with a loser weak suck self image then and if it goes on long enough you will likely become one of those blow hard internet experts.

Nobody likes that guy.

The weather is still mild so if the water is above some hippers I have every confidence you will survive.

Hope you get some birds.

Internet Blowhard Detection Pro Staff
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: G K Chambers] #5402357 11/06/14 01:51 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: G K Chambers
Fair question jtprocaddie.....with all the rain this week water levels might be questionable. Liked the pains you want to not to name the spot and avoid fire from the board....how did that work out for you?

Working on my fourth decade hunting the coast and wear nothing but hip boots. Every now & then I'll totter into an alligator slide or lose my balance setting decoys in the dark and go down. I'm kinda old school and learned about waterfowl hunting before the days of contemporary glossy magazine bearded armour clad extreme demigods with steely gazes scanning the skies. Back in the day when we went duck hunting we figured there was a real possibility that we would get wet.

Call the WMA ahead and ask what the conditions are. It never hurts to be friendly with those folks. Go ahead and wear your hip boots and if you get wet so be it.

If you really can't bear the idea of getting wet get you some rubber boots and a cow decoy and sneak geese. A good way to stay dry but you might have to struggle with a loser weak suck self image then and if it goes on long enough you will likely become one of those blow hard internet experts.

Nobody likes that guy.

The weather is still mild so if the water is above some hippers I have every confidence you will survive.

Hope you get some birds.

Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff. I wish GK would post some of his old time duck hunting pictures over here. The iron clad BA's over here might not like them, but I sure would. GK should also talk about those books he was involved with

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: G K Chambers] #5402426 11/06/14 02:28 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Nobody likes that guy.

Hope you get some birds.

crying
My cow silhouette post upset you that much? roflmao

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402647 11/06/14 03:46 PM
G
G K Chambers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Jeff-

I've pretty much stopped posting the old photos online because it keeps driving the prices up. There is an article on Market Hunting in the new DU magazine and a couple of those photos are from my collection.

John Paul-

Bless your heart! Your expertise intrigues and delights. The 7 ps are precisely the type of giggle inducing insight that makes internet boards the time killing stable they have become.

A crying emoticon? What's wrong, did you get your feet wet?

Some dry socks and you'll be O.K..

Internet Blowhard Detection Pro Staff
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402809 11/06/14 04:42 PM
G
Gill_97 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
never ever go on a coastal duck hunt without waders, ever.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402832 11/06/14 04:50 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Duck season and internet forums, they make a short week of it clap

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: TXGH] #5402834 11/06/14 04:50 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
GK, you definitely remind me of my old man. He came from the old-school hip wader generation. The generation that didn't base your duck hunting skills off how many stickers you had on your enclosed trailer, bands on your lanyard or how many posts you had on a hunting forum. They judged skills based on how many birds a guy put on the water. I talked him into buying a set of insulated chesties a few years ago & he never wears em. Says they're too constricting & take up too much room in his old Duluth pack when he's humping through miles of northern MN woods, scouting out beaver ponds. It doesn't matter if it's an early season, 90 degree day or mid-Nov, 20 degree day & the lake is half frozen, he's still in his trusty old thin hip waders. Makes me feel like a Sally in my nice, warm insulated chesties. His motto is, "If ya aren't gettin wet, ya aren't duck huntin, dontchaknow!"

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: G K Chambers] #5403086 11/06/14 06:26 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

John Paul-

Bless your heart! Your expertise intrigues and delights. The 7 ps are precisely the type of giggle inducing insight that makes internet boards the time killing stable they have become.

A crying emoticon? What's wrong, did you get your feet wet?

Some dry socks and you'll be O.K..

Yes my feet got wet walking into the office this morning. confused2 Nice one. up

GK, not everyone grew up 40 years ago when you could kill geese with 25 diapers draped over rice stubble. I'm sorry my post about killing geese with a cow silhouette offended you. Obviously so much that you had to come on here and try to belittle me. I think it is actually hilarious how much it bothers you.

To the OP, if getting wet doesn't bother you then keep on keepin on with those hippers. You may never need chest waders but using hip waders when you need chest waders does not make you a real duck hunter because "you aren't afraid to get wet", it makes you a dumbass in my book.

Re: Public Coastal Hunt questions... [Re: wal1809] #5403089 11/06/14 06:27 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Duck season and internet forums, they make a short week of it clap

Yes they do!! grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide