Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,514
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: Judd] #5400377 11/05/14 04:51 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Judd
Lots of good information....so I'll highlight a few and then address the gunsmith question since it didn't get as many answers.

If you aren't going to reload as Chad said you'll likely never see the true potential of a custom gun.

Disagree shoot the 6.5 creedmoor or the nosler trophy ammo in the other calibers. we have has some guns shoot lights out with that ammo.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5400480 11/05/14 05:25 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
Lots of good information....so I'll highlight a few and then address the gunsmith question since it didn't get as many answers.

If you aren't going to reload as Chad said you'll likely never see the true potential of a custom gun.

Disagree shoot the 6.5 creedmoor or the nosler trophy ammo in the other calibers. we have has some guns shoot lights out with that ammo.

I had a 6.5 Creedmoor (on a cough cough Savage action) that TDK actually chambered for me. It shot the factory 140 & 120 Amax match ammo close to my handloads. So you are right but I still don't see the purpose in spending all that money on a killer rifle then throwing factory ammo down it...99% of the time you can get it to shoot better with a load tuned for the barrel than you will out of a box. So I'm agreeing with you but also saying those guns that you have that shoot box ammo well could probably shoot even better if a load was tuned for that barrel.

Disclaimer: I know when you are talking minute of deer it really doesn't matter, especially < 300 yards.

Also, to anyone going to have a custom gun built and want to get the most out of a rifle + don't want to reload...that is what Chad is for, use him...he does a great job and can load you up 10 boxes and you'll have a lifetime of hunting ammo custom tuned.

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
A good one! grin

All the Savage action does is move a handload from the mag into the chamber, fires it, then kind of ejects it....

smile wink

Last edited by Judd; 11/05/14 05:27 PM. Reason: added disclaimer

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5400564 11/05/14 05:56 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
As soon as I can decide on a caliber I'm going have Horizon build one for me. Either 264 WM or 7STW.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: Judd] #5400655 11/05/14 06:43 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
So you are right but I still don't see the purpose in spending all that money on a killer rifle then throwing factory ammo down it...99% of the time you can get it to shoot better with a load tuned for the barrel than you will out of a box. )

Agree to disagree. Perfect example here is the rebarrel we did for mrciro on his winchester. this is factory nosler ammo. Nosler factory ammo is essentially loaded like hand loads. I am also trying to find another gun we did the same week but I think I sent the groups with the customer. Gun came in we tried these nosler ammo and the best it would do was 1.25 at 100. rebarreled it used the same box of ammo and it left shooting just over .25

Custom ammo and custom rifle are 2 different boats that can but don't have to go together. I dislike rifle builders saying here is your custom build.. oh by the way it only shoots this ammo that we hand load, unless its a wildcat custom gun should shoot good with factory loads and great with hand loads. but doesn't have to be hand loads to be great. Just my opinion.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: spg] #5400659 11/05/14 06:45 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: spg
As soon as I can decide on a caliber I'm going have Horizon build one for me. Either 264 WM or 7STW.

we can do ether but still think you need to seriously consider that long throated 7 mag with 180 grain bergers. Way easier to get brass

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5400732 11/05/14 07:14 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms

we can do ether but still think you need to seriously consider that long throated 7 mag with 180 grain bergers. Way easier to get brass

Boom! Absolutely correct! That's what I run and it is a hoss!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5400733 11/05/14 07:15 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Sure, at 100 yards, it may be hard to tell a good shooting factory load from a custom load apart. What's the actual difference from a .25" to a .3" group at 100 yards anyway. Sure, it's .05". But take that out to 600, 800, or 1K yards and shoot it through a chronograph, and you WILL see a difference in the 2 types of ammo. I don't test ANY of my precision rifle loads at 100. The closest I will shoot is 200, and most often shoot at 300. Why, b/c you can not see the differences between certain loads at 100 yards. It's too close of a distance.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5400839 11/05/14 08:11 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Good point too Chad...I can't shoot 100y because I'm not good enough to read the groups at that yardage.

I'm good with agreeing to disagree too Derrick wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5400913 11/05/14 08:54 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I don't dabble with "custom" synthetic bolt guns much, so my opinion on advantages of a custom is different. Yes, the gun will typically shoot more accurately and better materials used. The customer has more options on what to do, as well as one-off things.

Had a customer that wanted a Damascus butt plate and grip cap. Know where to get one? Cant order that at Brownells. Here is what we made:

Want a pair of 1911 grips with U.S. dimes dated 1911? cant find that either.

Want a barrel contour matching a pre-war Rigby?

Aside from one-off stuff, $3000 wood, and high coverage engraving custom guns can also be stocked to fit you. Most people see benefit from this concerning shotguns, rifles shouldn't be any different. One of the single shots we made had stock dimensions that fit me perfectly. With no iron sight, no scope, no nothing I could quickly point this rifle(like a shotgun)and hit a 10"-12" steel plate at 220yds the vast majority of the time. Without shooting it ten times to "find the target". Just walk out, point, shoot. no resting the rifle on anything, no holding the rifle awkwardly. You just cant do that with an ill-fitting factory gun. I call this trait shootability. Shootability translates to a rifle you can shoot more accurately in all scenarios. Shootability comes from a fitted gun, proper handling, good balance, pointability, proper weight, etc...

When concerning finish of the wood and metal no factory gun can get to the same level of finish as a good custom gunmaker. A lot of people wouldn't care about this aspect, but mine do. Craftsmanship is also much higher on every aspect. Cant get extremely tight wood-to-metal fit on a factory rifle.

Last edited by TDK; 11/05/14 09:08 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5401193 11/05/14 11:00 PM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Like everyone has said above I shoot a custom rifle for a few reasons. Number one I got to have built exactly like I wanted down to every little detail, the fun fits me perfect. Also custom rifles with tuned ammo do shoot better than most factory rifles. The only problem is custom rifles are a sickness and once you get it there is no way to stop a factory rifle will never make you happy anymore so be careful. up

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: TDK] #5401341 11/06/14 12:09 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TDK
I don't dabble with "custom" synthetic bolt guns much, so my opinion on advantages of a custom is different. Yes, the gun will typically shoot more accurately and better materials used. The customer has more options on what to do, as well as one-off things.

Had a customer that wanted a Damascus butt plate and grip cap. Know where to get one? Cant order that at Brownells. Here is what we made:

Aside from one-off stuff, $3000 wood, and high coverage engraving custom guns can also be stocked to fit you. Most people see benefit from this concerning shotguns, rifles shouldn't be any different. One of the single shots we made had stock dimensions that fit me perfectly. With no iron sight, no scope, no nothing I could quickly point this rifle(like a shotgun)and hit a 10"-12" steel plate at 220yds the vast majority of the time. Without shooting it ten times to "find the target". Just walk out, point, shoot. no resting the rifle on anything, no holding the rifle awkwardly. You just cant do that with an ill-fitting factory gun. I call this trait shootability. Shootability translates to a rifle you can shoot more accurately in all scenarios. Shootability comes from a fitted gun, proper handling, good balance, pointability, proper weight, etc...

When concerning finish of the wood and metal no factory gun can get to the same level of finish as a good custom gunmaker. A lot of people wouldn't care about this aspect, but mine do. Craftsmanship is also much higher on every aspect. Cant get extremely tight wood-to-metal fit on a factory rifle.

Agree with you 100%, now you are starting to talk custom. Much of what is called custom is nothing more than high dollar bolt on material. McMillan stock and Timney trigger and Harris bipod does not qualify as custom.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: blackcoal] #5402237 11/06/14 12:38 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Agree with you 100%, now you are starting to talk custom. Much of what is called custom is nothing more than high dollar bolt on material. McMillan stock and Timney trigger and Harris bipod does not qualify as custom.

While nothing looks like a hand fit wood stock the others have their place as well and are much more suited in certain conditions. Some gunsmiths are known to get amazing fitment with the synthetic stocks as well.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5402423 11/06/14 02:27 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
With glass bedding.

A wood stocked gun is just as suited as any other in any situation. You may need to make some compromises and have extra diligance to not use the stock as a boat paddle or walking stick.

To the next reply that wood can shrink and expand causing consistency issues, not all wood is created equal.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5402490 11/06/14 02:54 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Or use an accurate innovation stock that is super nice wood but has an aluminum structure and bedding area.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: TDK] #5402523 11/06/14 03:04 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
With glass bedding.

A wood stocked gun is just as suited as any other in any situation. You may need to make some compromises and have extra diligance to not use the stock as a boat paddle or walking stick.

To the next reply that wood can shirk and expand causing consistency issues, not all wood is created equal.

Some get the stock and inlet themselves just like a wood stock.

I would rather have a quality synthetic in backwoods rough country than a high end wood stock. The less I worry about hurting something the better.

I agree also how they are sealed matters as well.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5402548 11/06/14 03:14 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I guess it just comes down to opinion, preference, and taste. I won't knock a synthetic gun, they just don't do it for me. Maybe I'm looking for something different out of the experience, I know I'm in the minority on this subject but I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by TDK; 11/07/14 03:30 AM.

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: TDK] #5403237 11/06/14 07:27 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
TDK, you are a craftsman , and I sure appreciate what you do. I form steel on a weekly basis myself. What you do makes a firearm a work of art, and I appreciate it and I place value on that.

However, for my purposes of rifle use I need for them to work properly first, then worry about how they look second. I like sythetic stocks on my bolt actions because they have shown to be very durable and aid in keeping the rifle shooting consistently in all weathers, just as dee described.

But I do have a soft spot for cowboy action firearms with their wooden furniture and I have zero desire to have anything synthetic on my Marlin 336 or my case hardened blued Ruger Vaquero. I'd love to dress up the Marlin in the way that you do.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5403827 11/07/14 12:36 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Go ahead since you form steel lets see it

Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: fishhound] #5403849 11/07/14 12:52 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
TDK does make some very very VERY nice stuff! I'd almost be afraid to take one out! Just beautiful stuff

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: What are the advantages of a custom rifle?? [Re: Brother in-law] #5404031 11/07/14 02:40 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Go ahead since you form steel lets see it

Be fun if I had the time for it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread