6248047 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5393988 - 11/02/14 02:05 PM Rut Question
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
With the talk this weekend of bucks in some counties chasing hard and not much chasing being seen in other counties, what do we think are some of the main drivers/suppressors of mature bucks in terms of rutting from county to county and sometimes within the same county?

#5394006 - 11/02/14 02:11 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
hunter perception maybe? Some go out only a few times, then show for opening day, see nothing and say "nope, no rut here" IDK

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5394022 - 11/02/14 02:18 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: Western]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Western
hunter perception maybe? Some go out only a few times, then show for opening day, see nothing and say "nope, no rut here" IDK

Could be, but conversely some may see a couple of smaller bucks hinting around and thinking the rut is in full effect too. Was more thinking of objective drivers like, food source, deer density, hunting pressure, lack of receptive does, etc.

#5394042 - 11/02/14 02:26 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Day length/photoperiod is part of it, climate is part of it, region in the state is part of and where the deer in your region orginated(re-stocking program moving deer around from other areas) in the state from are part of it IMO. I was on a ranch in north part of Kendall County where the rut would start every year in mid October (with some doe being bred before that) and in La Salle County where I could shoot does the first week of January and not find to many of them bred. Both ranches had good nutrition, great age structure and tight buck to doe ratios.

#5394141 - 11/02/14 03:02 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: Western

Could be, but conversely some may see a couple of smaller bucks hinting around and thinking the rut is in full effect too. Was more thinking of objective drivers like, food source, deer density, hunting pressure, lack of receptive does, etc.

True, but can we call it "rut on" if we see a couple of bigger bucks chasin? I have only seen small bucks chasing, but they are all I have seen so far. I have seen active scrapes for a week or so. (actively pee'd in and worked over)

I have always heard it is more what STX said, Light changes mostly as the pusher.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5394382 - 11/02/14 05:28 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
dgilbert Offline
6 pack abs

I think people jump the gun big time on when the rut really is. I know there might be a few doe's come in early, but when I see a 4 point chasing a doe, I don't think I'm going to say the rut is on. If the rut was on that 4 point would be getting is rear kicked and still seeing to many doe's by themselves still.

#5394443 - 11/02/14 06:01 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: dgilbert]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
I think people jump the gun big time on when the rut really is. I know there might be a few doe's come in early, but when I see a 4 point chasing a doe, I don't think I'm going to say the rut is on. If the rut was on that 4 point would be getting is rear kicked and still seeing to many doe's by themselves still.

Agree for sure, rut in full effect for me is when a younger buck is constantly looking over his back for that mature buck while doe are around and things are frisky.

#5394497 - 11/02/14 06:38 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I definitely think it comes early in the hill country, sometimes before rifle season. When I see 3 bucks chasing does driving in, as I did yesterday afternoon, and they each stand there like idiots, wanting to know why I'm interrupting, the rut is on. Agreed, younger dudes with less green are always going to try a little too hard. laugh But not necessarily earlier.

#5394652 - 11/02/14 07:48 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
scratch time spent wondering about the woods tis best method flag

i'm postaddic

#5394655 - 11/02/14 07:49 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: DQ Kid]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

The theory that makes the most sense in my opinion is that deer rut earlier as you move north so that fawns are born earlier in the spring. By being born earlier than fawns born in warmer climates, they have more time to grow and reach a size that allows them to survive the following winter.

But I have never read a report from anyone that explains why this theory doesn't hold up for deer in very similar climates. For example, the deer in East Central Mississippi where I spent much of my youth, rut in late December and early January. And yet, the deer in East Texas, which is much like East Central Mississippi both in terrain and climate, rut in late October and early November.

So then, while there has been longstanding agreement that decreasing levels of daylight is what triggers the rut, no one seems to know why deer trigger differently from one region to the next.

Edited by Texas Dan (11/03/14 07:13 AM)

Spring, Texas

#5394717 - 11/02/14 08:12 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: Creekrunner]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I definitely think it comes early in the hill country, sometimes before rifle season. When I see 3 bucks chasing does driving in, as I did yesterday afternoon, and they each stand there like idiots, wanting to know why I'm interrupting, the rut is on. Agreed, younger dudes with less green are always going to try a little too hard. laugh But not necessarily earlier.

Define HC? I watched 6 bucks at and over 4.5 this weekend and all could care less about does.

I was in mason county on the edge of llano and the rut is not on. In fact it doesn't get full swing there until thanksgiving.

#5394728 - 11/02/14 08:15 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: BOBO the Clown]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Define HC? I watched 6 bucks at and over 4.5 this weekend and all could care less about does.

I was in mason county on the edge of llano and the rut is not on. In fact it doesn't get full swing there until thanksgiving.

That is because all 6 were "stags".

#5394766 - 11/02/14 08:38 PM Re: Rut Question [Re: stxranchman]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

just like a bunch of studs at a stag party. talken about how much doe they got flag

Edited by colt.45 (11/02/14 08:39 PM)

i'm postaddic

#5395575 - 11/03/14 09:09 AM Re: Rut Question [Re: stxranchman]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex

#5395609 - 11/03/14 09:21 AM Re: Rut Question [Re: BOBO the Clown]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Shoulda been a stag from the looks of him rifle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide