Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Originally Posted By: Dave3575
Originally Posted By: centurion2000
I have to show my ID to buy spray-paint and beer, to vote and to get on a plane. I never understood the push-back on showing it for ammo and frankly I think you should need to show your ID to buy ammo..... There is no big bad government movement to create a database of all the ammo you buy so don't tinfoil hat me either.

let the hate begin....

Let me guess, not a native Texan?

Irrelevant - you'll tell me stories about how you used to be able to drink and drive, how the rules changed when we all migrated here, how the old times were but that was then and this is now - and now you have an ID for some items - regardless of if you or i agree with the laws now, they are the laws and asking for an ID to buy ammo is hardly a violation of our 2nd amendment rights or even an intrusion into our privacy.

People like to jump on the gun wagon so quickly sometimes - and trust me I am the first guy to say you will pry my gear from my cold dead hands and the barrel will be warm...... but it's just an ID, for ammo.

Even a new job requires..

ID
Credit Check
Background Check
and and and....

Dave,

Where do you draw the line that information gathered about you is too much?

Should corporations be allowed to gather and sell your information for their profit?

Who should decide who is allowed to buy ammo?

Who should be allowed to determine what kind of ammo you are allowed to own?

Who should be allowed to determine how much ammo you are allowed to own?

What should the criteria be for who is allowed to buy ammo?

Should the records of who bought what guns, and what and how much ammo be gathered and public information?

Who should be allowed to decide who sees what information?

Should the government or corporations be allowed to collect information about you and your family and keep it secret even from you?

Do you think there could be a chilling effect on peoples' conduct, or even willingness to criticize the government if they think the government is collecting dossiers on every citizen?

What is the difference between the KGB eavesdropping and maintaining dossiers on Soviet citizens with what our government is doing?

If citizens become afraid and distrustful of their government, at what point does the fear and distrust indicate the existence of abuse of power?

in order.....

1. We live in an age of information and data mining; that is just a fact - there is more information about you on the internet than the government probably has. If you are concerned with your information being collected and mined you will need to get off the internet, stop using CC's, Loyalty cards, etc... I accept that this is the age we live in and it will only get more intrusive. I focus rather not on what, but how that information is used.

2. Many corporations already do this, see #1

3. The law is pretty much 18/21 (rifle/handgun) just like the drinking age is 21. I am ok with this personally as it relates to purchasing ammo.

4. There is no known restriction here other than destructive devices (i.e. grenades) and other specialty ammo like depleted uranium or explosive ordinance. I am ok with this.

5. There is no known restriction, however some fire departments do govern how ammo should be stored. I appreciate this effort.

6. See #3

7. No

8. Depends on the info.

9. No, I do not... example is that the IRS tried this and have been called out for it - we are advanced enough as a society that we can fight this kind of oppression, it happens, yes but it's also exposed and all over the media. Media and data collection is a double edge sword.

10. are you serious or just trying to troll this thread.

11. news flash, this administration has been abusing its power since initial election day and the people are responding in these mid term elections where the democrats will get squashed hard.

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: RiverRider] #5391193 10/31/14 07:47 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Don'tcha just love those "show me you AR15s" and "show me your 1911s" threads?

Oh, and here are MY AR15s...

Well, at least they WERE mine. Lost 'em all in a fire. Yeah...a fire, right before the tornado hit.

Guns and alcohol just NEVER mixes...I've got no problem with the pic of the guns except of course if they are loaded and children are running around but the booze with the guns is not acceptable in my book.

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Deerhunter61] #5391202 10/31/14 07:52 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Deerhunter61] #5391340 10/31/14 09:31 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Dave, by no means a troll, but honestly wondering where is too much for you as you seem to have no boundaries on where you are willing to stand up for yourself, your family, or other citizens' rights.

You are wrong in multiple of your assumptions. As just two examples, in New Jersey possession of hollow point ammunition outside of your own home or property is a crime. Going deer hunting in California and you are using some of trusty Remington factory ammo with Core-lokts? Game warden checks your ammo. Oops, you are in some deep stuff. Time to call a lawyer.

California is pushing to limit the amount of ammo that can be purchased. The last legislation I saw, SB 53, would have limited purchases to 50 rounds, which required a state issued "permit" subject to annual renewal with fees, and taxes per round of ammo with criminal prosecution for bringing in ammo from other states. The equivalent to a 4473 was required for every single ammo purchase. It has not been signed into law yet, but it is still on the agenda of some. If it passes there, count on it going to other states. While I cut back my practice substantially since ammo and components are so hard, and expensive, to buy now, I can burn through 50 rounds of rifle ammo without much effort in a practice session, and for pistol that is gone in minutes. If CNN reported

You are wrong in your assumption that fire departments have legal authority to regulate ammo storage (that power resides with the municipal, state, or federal governmental body). In your understanding of law, if a fireman knocks on your door and demands to enter your home to inspect your ammo, does he have legal authority to do so even if you say no?

As for your "news flash," the erosion of individual rights has been occurring for decades, and seriously accelerated in the last 20 years. Legal rights are illusory as they exist only when a significant portion of the citizens demand them. If you give them away, they vanish rapidly. It is a non-partisan problem. Both the Dems and Republicans own responsibility, and it only happens because citizens sit in front of a TV drooling watching sports and Dancing with the Stars while politicians tell them not to worry that the government will take care of them and be fair.

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Deerhunter61] #5391389 10/31/14 10:08 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
my assumptions were not wrong, i said "here" meaning Texas.

California, NY and NJ as far as I am concerned can do whatever they want, I moved form the North East to get away from their ridiculous laws which is why I chose the great state of Texas.

I did think that the fire department had published regulations on the amount of powder and storage of ammo in masse, perhaps I was wrong there I will have to look....

and Yes, I agree our rights are degrading and I will continue to vote appropriately and stand up for those that I believe in and if necessary defy the law for those that I am staunch in defending as either a civil liberty or documented in the constitution.

My boundaries are crystal clear, that I can assure you.

If you were going to buy a gun I had for sale would you provide me a copy of your CHL and/or DL?
If you were selling gun to me, would you want mine?

Last edited by Dave3575; 10/31/14 10:09 PM.
Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Dave3575] #5391392 10/31/14 10:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I moved form the North East to get away from their ridiculous laws which is why I chose the great state of Texas.

Then please leave the "New York state of mind" where it belongs - there.

Please stand up and fight for everyone's rights. When one wins, we all win. When one loses, we all lose.

Rights only exist when citizens demand them, and they vanish when we let them.

And welcome to Texas.

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Deerhunter61] #5391419 10/31/14 10:40 PM
T
Tumbleweeds Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I just nought 4 boxes of ammo for my 6.5 AR and they required my Drivers License...not just looking at it to confirm I am who I am but took down my DL number!

I'm mad and just can't take it anymore! This is ridicules!

I don't know why you are griping. I can remember when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's there were a few hoops people had to go through to get ammo. I remember my father having to show an ID and sign some government form to get a box of .22lr ammo just so we could shot the family .22lr rifle out at the lake. The store is probably going to use your DL for marketing research.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know." - Groucho Marks
Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Tumbleweeds] #5391447 10/31/14 11:03 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Tumbleweeds
I just nought 4 boxes of ammo for my 6.5 AR and they required my Drivers License...not just looking at it to confirm I am who I am but took down my DL number!

I'm mad and just can't take it anymore! This is ridicules!

I don't know why you are griping. I can remember when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's there were a few hoops people had to go through to get ammo. I remember my father having to show an ID and sign some government form to get a box of .22lr ammo just so we could shot the family .22lr rifle out at the lake. The store is probably going to use your DL for marketing research.

This is the attitude that has allowed the continued government involvement and continued loss of individual rights...yuk!

Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Dave3575] #5391885 11/01/14 08:37 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

Dave, it's just about government intrusion...it gets worse every single day and will until we wake up one morning wondering where our rights have gone....all under the guise of making everyone "safe". They use the type of argument to pass seat belts laws...which by the way DO NOT help you drive better.

I do not disagree with you at all, but I also think that we need to pick and choose the battles and this is hardly one of them since it's no different than many other items in our daily lives.

This way when they truly go after a gun right and we all push back on it -the pusback is more effective and not just "another group of gun nus pushing back on ANYTHING they can"

I don't do not see any reasonable argument to why asking for a DL to get ammo purchased is an intrusion.... a real intrusion is a $200 stamp and 9 months for a supressor.

Preach.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: Deerhunter61] #5392366 11/01/14 05:15 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
A photo with guns and booze...it's a wonder one of those gums didn't jump up and just kill somebody,huh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about handling firearms safely and I can guarantee there was no unsafe gun handling going on here. If you think guns and booze in the same picture is "just wrong," then I think you've got issues not too far removed from the school administrators who expell first graders for nibbling a PBJ into the shape of a pistol.

If I ever post a photo of the young hellions stumbling about with an AR in one hand and a half empty bottle of Jim Beam in the other, please DO castigate me. That would be quite different. In this case, of you weren't witness to the goings on then your condemnation is self righteousness.

I am pretty danged sure you were not there.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: RiverRider] #5392368 11/01/14 05:19 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
There is no big bad government movement to create a database of all the ammo you buy so don't tinfoil hat me either.

You know this to be factual because of...what?? I'd argue that there are plenty of statists in the federal government who would LOVE to do this. How many anti-gun moves have we seen out of the current administration in the past six years? And how can we be so sure we know about everything?

Tinfoil hat yourself.
this, and you need to read "UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES"

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: DL to purchase ammo! [Re: ChadTRG42] #5392371 11/01/14 05:21 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
^^ I would be so far away from that party at that point, I wouldn't even tell people bye!
I am with you Chad

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide