Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How would you manage this? #5386084 10/29/14 05:56 AM
T
toolman Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Here's the situation: I am married to the oldest sister in a family of five siblings, and their last parent (dad) just passed a couple of months ago. The family property is just over 500 acres with some awesome deer that are there ONLY because my BIL and I feed year-round, but several in the family want to hunt and some have brought their friends and their friend's kids to hunt.
I love the family aspect of the situation, but frankly, I'm tired of paying big bucks for everyone else to kill trophy deer on my dime.
My plan is for everyone that wants to hunt to pay for at least ten bags of corn per deer killed, which is stupidly cheap considering that we are regularly killing 140"+ and non-typical deer, including a 125" double drop-tine buck that my stepson killed a couple of years ago.
Am I wrong in thinking that everyone involved should NOT be inviting friends, cousins, etc. to hunt on MY dime?
I know that it's a bit unique because there are five siblings and four spouses involved, but there are only two of us spouses footing all of the bills.

Any ideas or personal experiences?

BTW, everyone else hunts out of our blinds also. The last guy that hunted my blind killed a 140"+ buck and a big doe, burned up a full propane bottle, and I don't even know his name. I do know that I crawled into my blind to find a heater that didn't work, a chair that would no longer go up, and a blind that smelled like moldy cheese, all for the low low price of $250/mo. worth of corn and protein and being kicked out of my own blind for the weekend, a situation that will NEVER happen again...

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386097 10/29/14 07:23 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sounds like one of those deals that will never end well. Personally, I would have others pony up, but with that many folks hunting the place, you wont be taking 140" deer long IMO.

Think I would have a "heart to heart" with the other relative footing the bill and maybe let him present y'alls plan, may go over better.

I wouldn't spend another dime with the return you're getting though, but that is just me.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386098 10/29/14 07:30 AM
B
basspromaster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
That's a tuff one. The best thing u can do is politely talk to those involved and get them to realize things. If others r going to hunt besides immediate family then set some ground rules like spike and antler less only. If u have a a game cam then print pics of deer u think r culls that others non family and family should kill. Also the respect aspect needs to be put in effect big time!!! Be respectful of the siblings and explain to them calmly if u get upset or pissed then u may be asked to get off completely even though u r the one that's done the work. Also look 4 another secret spot and put a feeder up that way no one else knows.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386099 10/29/14 07:34 AM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I hate to say it, I've seen similar situations before, but if you are not an OWNER, you have no say in what takes place. If you choose to spend your money, and effort, knowing these things will happen, its on you.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386131 10/29/14 10:36 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You've handled it better than I would. That's the reason I can't share a lease, not good with sharing personal space. I'm not sure what the answer is but you better get a handle on it now.

IF I allow a visitor to come out the rules are I'm there and they shoot what I say. You've told me where you hunt and that county is 1 buck for a reason. Everybody shooting bucks every year will ruin your place, you know it and I know it.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386142 10/29/14 10:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Just bring up you are going to have to lease the place out to cover the expenses you two are encountering since ya'll are the only ones footing the bill.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386145 10/29/14 10:46 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Like others, I don't see a win/win deal here. If it were me, and it's not, I'd try to reason with the family. Good luck on that.

There are a lot of possible approaches to take but I doubt that any will work. I would damn sure put a lock on my deer stands.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: Dave Davidson] #5386151 10/29/14 10:59 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Like others, I don't see a win/win deal here. If it were me, and it's not, I'd try to reason with the family. Good luck on that.

There are a lot of possible approaches to take but I doubt that any will work. I would damn sure put a lock on my deer stands.

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: Seadog] #5386161 10/29/14 11:12 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Blood is thicker than water, and you're not family. So good luck getting traction on your own. The like-minded BIL should be carrying the flag, not you. He would be your best hope in getting a resolution because he IS family.

And it sounds like there's a family tradition in everyone hunting opening weekend, Thanksgiving, etc. Swim against that tide and someone may show you the door. And unless you personally own your stand and feeder, getting territorial and refusing to share with others might torpedo your own hunting rights as an invited in-law.

Think of it this way: Go out and price the cost of good leases these days. You have a free place to hunt, and all you pay is a bill for corn. That's a cush deal!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386177 10/29/14 11:39 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I could not handle it, I believe I would just get another lease. What is the families plan with the property? Maybe time too sell, and BIL and yourself buy a small place.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: dawaba] #5386186 10/29/14 11:47 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Blood is thicker than water, and you're not family. So good luck getting traction on your own. The like-minded BIL should be carrying the flag, not you. He would be your best hope in getting a resolution because he IS family.

And it sounds like there's a family tradition in everyone hunting opening weekend, Thanksgiving, etc. Swim against that tide and someone may show you the door. And unless you personally own your stand and feeder, getting territorial and refusing to share with others might torpedo your own hunting rights as an invited in-law.

Think of it this way: Go out and price the cost of good leases these days. You have a free place to hunt, and all you pay is a bill for corn. That's a cush deal!

This, blood is thicker than marriage. Fact of life. Understand that and accept it and politely try to come to some agreement with the "blood relatives" or look elsewhere to take your game. Just remember that you'll be paying lease payments in addition to the feeding should you do that.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386207 10/29/14 12:07 PM
N
Novemberyet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Get another lease.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386223 10/29/14 12:21 PM
S
sloveless Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
We are in a similar situation on my stepdad's family farm. Only issue there is there are ~12 different owners (out to second cousins), and noone ever knows what the hell is going on.

We have just decided we are willing to work & pay for the corn to deer hunt, it is still cheaper than leasing the same land. We just lock our blinds, game cams, trailer, etc, but they still get messed with sometimes. We decided not to do a significant amount of work though (food plots, brush clearing, habitat management, etc.), since we don't actually have control of the property.

We have let several nice young bucks walk, only to have others shoot them at first sight. bang Make the best of the situation, try the heart-to-heart, but get ready to go find someplace else if you seriously want to invest in a property.

Sorry to hear your situation

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: DQ Kid] #5386312 10/29/14 01:27 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: dawaba

This, blood is thicker than marriage. Fact of life. Understand that and accept it and politely try to come to some agreement with the "blood relatives" or look elsewhere to take your game. Just remember that you'll be paying lease payments in addition to the feeding should you do that.

Good luck. You need to talk to your BIL, but remember you're the outsider. I know if it were my family and they read this post, they would say " quit buying corn or stop complaining. You got a place to hunt."

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386322 10/29/14 01:33 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You are going to be disappointed and most likely cause some hard feeling amongst the family if you continue down you current path. Solutions: quite managing and spending a bunch of money on the place and just let everyone enjoy and do whatever or find another place and start over. I don't see any other alternative that will work out well for you.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386324 10/29/14 01:34 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
has the property been given to the siblings since the last parent passed away?

if you're married to an owner, then you are a property owner... unless specifically stated, it's joint property for married people. sounds like it needs to be deeded off 100 acres each, or if they want to keep it together, form some sort of co-op with voting rights.

Last edited by kyle1974; 10/29/14 01:35 PM.
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: kyle1974] #5386449 10/29/14 02:24 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

if you're married to an owner, then you are a property owner... unless specifically stated, it's joint property for married people. sounds like it needs to be deeded off 100 acres each, or if they want to keep it together, form some sort of co-op with voting rights.

Not true. Anything OP's wife received by gift or devise is her separate property. STX has the right idea here. If you want control over the hunting, you need to lease the place.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386540 10/29/14 03:07 PM
W
Wilderness Rob Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Need to talk with the 4 other families and set some ground rules. Gotta try to make them understand what you and your bil are trying to do and how much it costs. I'm sure yall could find some kind of compromise where they kick in for costs, or agree that only those paying get to shoot "trophy" bucks. Best of luck to you!

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386586 10/29/14 03:24 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Who pays the taxes? Electric bill? You need to be pro-active in this regard. If you and BIL pay the taxes on the place that would seem to me to go a long way in giving you ownership.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386594 10/29/14 03:26 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Have your wife and BIL call a family meeting and determine how to manage the property moving forward. Do they want to keep it or sell it off for the proceeds and to cover the estate tax.

If being kept, establish agreed upon rules for family and guests.
Provide last year's and this year's cost to run and manage a lease as a point of reference.
Put a lock on your stands/blinds/equipment

But this will not end well, too many points of view and family entitlement. May be worthwhile to consider buying out the other siblings share.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: Wilderness Rob] #5386597 10/29/14 03:27 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Been there. Go kill what you can while you can. Be selling it before long.

Re: How would you manage this? [Re: toolman] #5386610 10/29/14 03:30 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
How old are the siblings? These all grown kids?

Sounds like a bad deal, glad me and my siblings see eye to eye.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: Erathkid] #5386612 10/29/14 03:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Who pays the taxes? Electric bill? You need to be pro-active in this regard. If you and BIL pay the taxes on the place that would seem to me to go a long way in giving you ownership.

I agree with this too. Who is paying the bills on this land? Lord sure hope someone is.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: scattergun] #5386628 10/29/14 03:36 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: scattergun
Been there. Go kill what you can while you can. Be selling it before long.

Yep. Seen this ending too. Just hunt while you can. Don't start no chit won't be no chit and keep the peace.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: How would you manage this? [Re: Grosvenor] #5386716 10/29/14 04:14 PM
B
banderabound Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

Not true. Anything OP's wife received by gift or devise is her separate property. STX has the right idea here. If you want control over the hunting, you need to lease the place.

I believe Kyle is correct. In Texas, anything brought into the marriage - whether it be gift or not - belongs to the marriage, not either person individually. Her percentage of the property is half the OP's.

I certainly wouldn't go about it like I owned half of the land. Crap will hit the fan and it will be awful…especially considering the fact this is over hunting deer and the cost of corn.

Put the family first and it will work out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide