Forum Stats
60489 Members
45 Forums
476378 Topics
6249363 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#5357319 - 10/13/14 11:13 AM Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy)
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Virginia, USA
As most of the regulars on this Forum know, it's not always easy find pure breed exotics. This year I started to look into some of the wild sheep that are on Texas ranches (Mouflons (both European & Armenian), Red sheep and Urials (Transcaspian and Afghan).

As has been posted elsewhere, since Red Sheep are a hybrid you need to be careful in selecting a hunt. And given they are a hybrid you may see more Urial or more Mouflon like characteristics, etc. That and you also see a lot of crosses ... so hunter beware.

On Afghan Urials, which may be one of the best wild sheep bang for buck, there seems to be a lot of variation in what they look like (maybe because there are a lot of subspecies in the wild that they clump together as Afghan Urials.

From the Wild Sheep Foundation, the following are pics that they posted on their site as "Afghan Urials"

If one goes by reputation, the Priour Ranch is the place to go to hunt Afghan Urials in Texas....and some even say it's the only pure herd in Texas. There rams look a little different based on horn shape ..but not much (see photo below which I believe came from the Priour Ranch but the Guides are PBGSO)

Now the question, do you think the ram in the next two photos is an Afghan Urial or a cross. He looks a lot like the rams in the Wild Sheep Foundation 1st pic....but not like the ones from the Priour ranch.

Edited by TonyinVA (10/13/14 11:40 AM)

#5357395 - 10/13/14 11:41 AM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Kerrville/Del Rio
I do know a few high end places have been crossing Armenian Mouflon with Transcaspians/Red Sheep to create something that greatly resembles what you posted in the bottom two pictures. Unfortunately they are asking 5 digit figures for those hybrids and passing them off as afghans.

Priour's afghans have been on that ranch forever...they haven't come in contact with any of the Transcaspian Urial, European Mouflon, and Armenian Mouflon since they are in different areas.

Priour might be the best bang for your buck if your going to complete your introduced wild sheep slam, only one they don't have are Iranian Red.

#5357417 - 10/13/14 11:50 AM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

So Kobus, you vote "no" it is not an Afghan Urial but some type of Transcaspian Urial hybrid?

#5357443 - 10/13/14 12:02 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog

I'd say so.

My ram I shot looked mostly identical to the bottom picture from the wild sheep foundation.

#5357457 - 10/13/14 12:11 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

My concern with the ram in the bottom two pics is that the horns sweep back as opposed to out...like a Transcaspian where as most of the Afghan Urial pics I have seen have horns that sweep outward and have little to no curled tips. But the first photo from the Wild Sheep Foundation does look similar to the ram in the bottom pic....but that's one picture vs a lot of others...so I'm thinking maybe Transcaspian Urial hybrid.

Edited by TonyinVA (10/13/14 12:12 PM)

#5357805 - 10/13/14 03:20 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
Bawana59 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: USA
The book "Memories of a sheep hunter" has a lot of good pics , the Rams are killed in there native country.

#5357872 - 10/13/14 03:51 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
okierifleman Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Houston
I shot my Afghan at the Priour. I don't know if they are the only ranch that has pure Afghans, but I have not run across another one that says they do either.
In Texas that is. I think that the White Elk up in Nebraska has some pure Afghans along with some amazing pure transcaspians.

#5358322 - 10/13/14 06:54 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
PBGSO Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Kimble, County Texas
I've told you several times I'll take you lets go. If you want a urial cross they are out there if you want a pure bred animal I have every species. I hunt the priour and if you look at the books they have just about all of the top end afghans they don't sell ewes. I have 1 other place that I have them and I have shot a lot of them and can judge them very well. I would love to have ya.
Clay Pope

#5358345 - 10/13/14 07:03 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
Hilonesome Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Lone Camp Texas
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
My concern with the ram in the bottom two pics is that the horns sweep back as opposed to out...like a Transcaspian where as most of the Afghan Urial pics I have seen have horns that sweep outward and have little to no curled tips. But the first photo from the Wild Sheep Foundation does look similar to the ram in the bottom pic....but that's one picture vs a lot of others...so I'm thinking maybe Transcaspian Urial hybrid.

I'm with You TonyinVA, have never seen what was called an Afgan Urial that curled up, the first Pic you posted, I have seen it calling those Sheep Transcaspians??? wish I knew more about the Urials....

#5358355 - 10/13/14 07:09 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas

Edited by SheepHunter (10/13/14 07:22 PM)

#5358360 - 10/13/14 07:10 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
PBGSO Online   content
Bird Dog

Here is a good reference
http://www.wildsheep.org
ovis
afghans do not have a black patch

Clay Pope

#5358370 - 10/13/14 07:16 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: SheepHunter]
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

X2 cheers

I can attest to that myself too!

#5358400 - 10/13/14 07:24 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
PBGSO Online   content
Bird Dog

Lots of guys have been breeding the red sheep females to a pure transcaspian male. What they are doing is then breeding the red sheep side back out to get an almost pure transcaspian thus there are quite a few cross bred 1/2 and 3/4 blood type rams out there now. What that is worth is in the eyes of the beholder but as I have told you SCI is accepting these crosses as red sheep thus you get these 35+ type animals which in all actual reality is a little big for a true red sheep and many of them possess the larger body and the more rounded looking horns. Afghans do not have a long black mane.
Clay

#5358416 - 10/13/14 07:31 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Appreciate everyone's comments. It more or less confirms what I thought. ...and Clay, I agree that you do take your share of great looking Afghan Urials.

#5358433 - 10/13/14 07:36 PM Re: Afghan Urial Sheep (pic heavy) [Re: PBGSO]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas
Originally Posted By: PBGSO
Lots of guys have been breeding the red sheep females to a pure transcaspian male. What they are doing is then breeding the red sheep side back out to get an almost pure transcaspian thus there are quite a few cross bred 1/2 and 3/4 blood type rams out there now. What that is worth is in the eyes of the beholder but as I have told you SCI is accepting these crosses as red sheep thus you get these 35+ type animals which in all actual reality is a little big for a true red sheep and many of them possess the larger body and the more rounded looking horns. Afghans do not have a long black mane.
Clay

SCI Afghan Urial

Overall color varies from reddish-buff to yellowish-brown. Rump patch and underparts are white, the face a bluish-gray. Rams have a white bib, long black neck ruff and a small black saddle spot in the winter coat. The horns are homonymous, triangular in cross section, and strongly wrinkled.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide