Forums46
Topics537,707
Posts9,727,979
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2014 TPWD Rita Blanca grasslands Pronghorn hunt [Re: wtjim] #5974397 10/13/15 01:38 AM
W
wtjim Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Where are this years harvest pictures?

Re: 2014 TPWD Rita Blanca grasslands Pronghorn hunt [Re: wtjim] #5976513 10/14/15 03:45 AM
G
Goldencurtis Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
We had three permits but one guy had to miss to stay home and care for his wife who had surgery the same week. My brother and I made the trip, however, and had a grand time. We scouted on Friday, mainly two areas, one with an adjoining corn field, unit 7 and another we considered remote, unit 52. We were not impressed with the corn field as it was fenced in with electric. Then it rained Friday night. We found the roads, even the so-called county roads almost impassable after the rain. So after nearly sliding in the ditch on Thompson Grove Road we headed to 296 and headed north, then back east. Soon we spotted a little herd sky-lined on a ridge. There was a large open field between us and the ridge so I decided to drive far enough past the antelopes to be out of sight, then cross the open pasture in an attempt to get to the base of the ridge and hopefully make a sneak. About half way across the opening I glassed the goats and discovered they all had come over to my side of the ridge and were watching me intently. I then redirected my stalk parallel to the herd but only briefly as the pronghorns started in my direction. I was camo so I sat dawn on the ground and placed my shooting sticks between myself and the PH. They made a bee line toward me, so straight in fact that the buck was almost directly behind the last doe, of 5, until they were about 150 yards or less from me. At that point he made a slight turn to the left, stopped and put his head down as if to graze. He never knew what hit him. The time, about 8:00. After getting the animal back to the pickup another truck stopped with a man and his wife, of which he was also hunting with a permit. He had actually gotten stuck on Thompson Grove Road. He advised us of a game processor near Texline that would have one ready overnight so my brother and I decided to take mine to the check station in Dalhart, then on to the processor. Before we got out of the area and still running down Unit 22 we spotted another head, this also with one good buck. My brother did much as I did, crossed and walked in the general direction of the animals. They did not react as the first herd but did not actually just run off. My brother eventually got in position and using the shooting sticks was able to hit the buck. It took another shot to finish him off but the first shot was a long ways and got the job done. After the game warden went in after my brothers buck and brought him back to the highway, we field dressed it in he ditch and headed to the check station. When we started rolling it was 11:58.There is a whole lot more to this story, but it was so exciting and just plain awesome. I have pics but at this point have no idea how to post them so hoping some one will advise. Both the bucks were exceptional.

Re: 2014 TPWD Rita Blanca grasslands Pronghorn hunt [Re: Sneaky] #5982754 10/18/15 07:46 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
What a hunt. Good job.

Re: 2014 TPWD Rita Blanca grasslands Pronghorn hunt [Re: wtjim] #5983436 10/19/15 04:57 AM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Great narrative and information. Congratulations. I've been trying for 18 years so maybe next year!

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide