Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sam Houston National Forest #5319285 09/22/14 02:04 AM
B
BudroDaddy21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Planning a trip there in a few weeks to do some bow hunting...never hunted there before. Planning on camping there also. Wondering how it is down there? Any tips or suggestions would be great. thanks in advance

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5319757 09/22/14 12:54 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
do a search and you will find some info here.

Make sure you comply with all of the laws and know them. The game wardens are thick during deer season and they are not too forgiving on "not following the rules" so make sure you know your APH handbook.

Be careful of dead trees and dead branches especially during high wind or rain. Things are crashing down in that forest constantly!!!! Do not sit or stand under them!!!

Make long walks to hard to get areas away from people and you will do fine and hopefully get lucky with a 150.

Plenty of camping.

Watch out for sasquatch that is his main stomping grounds here in Texas!!

good luck!

PS Dont shoot sasquath if he looks like this guy!! That is just Bigfoot

Last edited by Bigfoot; 09/22/14 01:07 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: Bigfoot] #5319901 09/22/14 02:31 PM
B
BudroDaddy21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thanks Bigfoot. wish I had time to do some early scouting before I went but work gets in the way sometimes. I will definitely go deep away from people. any certain areas you recommend?

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5327659 09/26/14 03:14 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Hey Bigfoot- How many people should I expect on the first day?

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: mikefinchmp] #5328119 09/26/14 08:21 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: mikefinchmp
Hey Bigfoot- How many people should I expect on the first day?

I have never hunted deer so I do not know how busy it will be. I start hunting pigs a day or 2 after deer season is over and the game wardens are gone and I have the forest all to myself. I love that!!!!!!!!!!

Deer are everywhere but it would be hard for me to tell you where to go because everywhere should be decent and I have only hunted 1 area for pigs.

Without scouting you will have a hard time. If you do have a few days there I suggest you pick out just one area and spend the first day walking through that area and scouting then hunt the next few days. So far I have picked out one area and I have spent all of my time in it so I feel comfortable there because I see the deer in the same places all the time and pigs in the same places all the time.

i have seen deer every day I spent in the forest so there are plenty but last year was my first year to hunt and first year in the forest so I am a rookie.

I am very surprised that more people have not chimed in willing to help others out. This forum doesnt seem to have a lot of people willing to help or talk about the area

Last edited by Bigfoot; 09/26/14 08:22 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5328466 09/27/14 01:15 AM
P
PearlandGreenHorn Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Hey Bigfoot how often do you go to the forest. I've never been public hunting am just in for hogs hows the terrain is it only archery.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: PearlandGreenHorn] #5328662 09/27/14 03:57 AM
B
BudroDaddy21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I'm going to be down here around middle of October. want to arrive on a Thursday and thru the weekend. Still trying where abouts I want to camp and hunt. I plan on bring my climbing stand to hunt out of also. I kind of know the area by just driving thru traveling for work but have never ventured off the highway really. Also I always see lots off deer on the side of 45 running north out of Houston. I'm always willing to hunt anywhere once

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: PearlandGreenHorn] #5328771 09/27/14 10:37 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: PearlandGreenHorn
Hey Bigfoot how often do you go to the forest. I've never been public hunting am just in for hogs hows the terrain is it only archery.

Last year I spent about 2 full weeks in the SHNF from January till late March. Any legal firearms are allowed in the SHNF except the areas marked ARCHERY ONLY in your APH handbook

Terrain is semi-rough. Some areas thicker than others of course. Lots of dead trees and thick areas but also lots of logging roads to get close to your area before walking in the forest. My strategy is to walk 1-2 miles down a logging road before I enter the forest.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5329149 09/27/14 05:09 PM
P
PearlandGreenHorn Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Nice thanks i will make a solo trip after deer season is done

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: PearlandGreenHorn] #5329325 09/27/14 09:05 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: PearlandGreenHorn
Nice thanks i will make a solo trip after deer season is done

For pigs go to the bottom lands along the major creeks. I never hunted in the early morning but I probably should have and will this year. I only saw pigs on one occasion during the day ( I had a perfect shot at 125 yards and my heart was beating so fast from excitement that I missed) and my other sightings were almost always in the last 45 minutes of daylight when they were moving. Not sure where they were going but they always came from South to North and along the same areas so what I would do is set up according to the wind where I can intercept them as they travel thru and get a shot.

I almost always saw deer in the same areas (does) on my way down to the bottom lands so this year I may go hunt the rut and hopefully get lucky. I have never shot a deer before so I am excited about trying it this November and seeing what happens.

the coolest thing that happened to me was having a doe and 2 fawns come up within 8-10 yards of me and they never spooked. They just walked right past me and it was amazing! Almost as exciting as the hunt itself.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5332041 09/29/14 04:38 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
When you say bottom lands do you mean close to the lake? Or do you mean north side? I went out Saturday and it was not crowded which I thought was great but I didnt see much of anything either. the area I went to was closer to the lake which was heading down hill- but then I was thinking maybe the deer wouldn't be down that area as much cause they could be trapped. But I might be over thinking it..

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: mikefinchmp] #5332324 09/29/14 07:09 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
When you say bottom lands do you mean close to the lake? Or do you mean north side? I went out Saturday and it was not crowded which I thought was great but I didnt see much of anything either. the area I went to was closer to the lake which was heading down hill- but then I was thinking maybe the deer wouldn't be down that area as much cause they could be trapped. But I might be over thinking it..

Just take this advice with a grain of salt since I am a professional fishing guide and not a professional or experienced hunter by any means. If you ask me about fishing I have confidence in what I am telling you but when it comes to hunting I just started last year so my experience is very little.

Last winter I spent my first 2 days exploring around the lake and I didnt see much at all in tracks or signs(saw some but not a lot) and it was really thick so I decided to make a move up to the Stubblefield Rec area and walk the Trinity river fork and its feeder creeks and thats where I have stayed. Just like a fishing report I cant give you exact gps coordinates or the roads I am traveling. You have to spend the time like I did to look around. I feel those 2-3 days I spent exploring that area gave me an invaluable learning experience because I really learned the lay of the land. I saw tons of tracks and deer and a few hogs but I only heard 1 sasquatch call. Probably a human but you never know!! go to mytopo.com and you can print off topo maps of that area or any area you want to explore. Typically the hogs signs and hogs were in 250-275 ft of elevation or less. Basically in the lowest elevation areas.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 09/29/14 07:11 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: Bigfoot] #5333234 09/30/14 02:26 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

Just take this advice with a grain of salt since I am a professional fishing guide and not a professional or experienced hunter by any means. If you ask me about fishing I have confidence in what I am telling you but when it comes to hunting I just started last year so my experience is very little.

Last winter I spent my first 2 days exploring around the lake and I didnt see much at all in tracks or signs(saw some but not a lot) and it was really thick so I decided to make a move up to the Stubblefield Rec area and walk the Trinity river fork and its feeder creeks and thats where I have stayed. Just like a fishing report I cant give you exact gps coordinates or the roads I am traveling. You have to spend the time like I did to look around. I feel those 2-3 days I spent exploring that area gave me an invaluable learning experience because I really learned the lay of the land. I saw tons of tracks and deer and a few hogs but I only heard 1 sasquatch call. Probably a human but you never know!! go to mytopo.com and you can print off topo maps of that area or any area you want to explore. Typically the hogs signs and hogs were in 250-275 ft of elevation or less. Basically in the lowest elevation areas.

I hope this helps!

twas that bout one-fifth-ty-tree sat. ya hear a loud thud just before de howl. fell asleep in me stand again. had one of them thar fancy 12ft safty straps, but miscalculated & me stand twas only 11.5 flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: 1860.colt] #5334975 09/30/14 11:53 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

[/quote]

twas that bout one-fifth-ty-tree sat. ya hear a loud thud just before de howl. fell asleep in me stand again. had one of them thar fancy 12ft safty straps, but miscalculated & me stand twas only 11.5 flag [/quote]

LMAO

Next time Colt I will know it is you and not bigfoot. Just keep whooping and I will come get you out of that harness but if your head be split wide open I aint carryin ya back threw those woods 2 miles back to the truck. Your gonna have to live with bigfoot and let him heal you up with some secret herbal medicine only found in them thar woulds!!!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5335023 10/01/14 12:16 AM
B
birdog903 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Did a lot of work around new waverly in the national forest by the lake a couple years ago and actually flew it in a helicopter. Only deer we saw was off the beaten path a ways. Good luck.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: Bigfoot] #5335059 10/01/14 12:26 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

twas that bout one-fifth-ty-tree sat. ya hear a loud thud just before de howl. fell asleep in me stand again. had one of them thar fancy 12ft safty straps, but miscalculated & me stand twas only 11.5 flag [/quote]

LMAO

Next time Colt I will know it is you and not bigfoot. Just keep whooping and I will come get you out of that harness but if your head be split wide open I aint carryin ya back threw those woods 2 miles back to the truck. Your gonna have to live with bigfoot and let him heal you up with some secret herbal medicine only found in them thar woulds!!! [/quote]
rofl flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5335984 10/01/14 02:03 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
That is what I was looking for! Thanks!

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5339102 10/03/14 12:51 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Anyone on this forum hunting the forest and any pics of any deer downed by bow?

Sure would be nice if guys would get more involved in a SHNF thread like they do on texasbowhunter

Anyone Bueller Bueller?

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5339264 10/03/14 02:08 AM
B
BudroDaddy21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I was drawn for a antlerless permit for gun season. Have been thinking about hunting around the coldsprings area. Planning on taking a archery trip in 2 weeks for hunting an scouting.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5339730 10/03/14 01:02 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I should have applied for one but wasnt sure if I was going to actually hunt a whitetail. But I have hunting fever and will be in the forest during that first or second week of opening season during the weekdays of course.

Doubt I will even get a shot at a buck but you never know. Getting it out of the forest is going to be the hard part that is for sure.

I hear the buck to doe ratio is way out of whack in the SHNF so I really wish I would have applied for a doe tag

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/03/14 01:02 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5339887 10/03/14 02:26 PM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I was selected for a doe tag, but not sure what part of the forest I will try, hoping for a couple of scouting trips before season opens. Any suggestions on where to try?

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: Bigfoot] #5339955 10/03/14 02:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Anyone on this forum hunting the forest and any pics of any deer downed by bow?

Sure would be nice if guys would get more involved in a SHNF thread like they do on texasbowhunter

Anyone Bueller Bueller?

have enjoyed & have many great memmories hunting WMA tried ta get a muzzy hog hunt together last year on OSBWMA, people think i'm muyloco can't blame-em best wishes ta all, safe hunting flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: Mako My Day] #5339989 10/03/14 03:18 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
When I started walking the pipelines is when I finally found what I was looking for so I suggest to start there and be ready to do a lot of walking.

Walking those pipelines will allow you to look for tracks and get back in to hard to reach areas without just heading off in to the woods.

look for gametrails and most of all Oak trees!

If you do not know how to recognize oaks I suggest you study them before you go.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/03/14 03:20 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5340215 10/03/14 05:41 PM
R
Rus10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
So, anyone know what the park road situations are like during rifle season? Do they close down the roads? Is there a place online that tells you what roads are open?

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: BudroDaddy21] #5341460 10/04/14 04:29 PM
B
BudroDaddy21 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
hey bigfoot where is your fishing guide service at? Got a link?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide