Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,007
Posts9,719,390
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. #5260286 08/18/14 11:12 PM
A
asaxon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A

I’m looking for help from you, my Texas hunting brethren, in locating a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband (both about 30 years old) to upland bird hunting in Texas. They moved to Houston 6 months ago for their jobs and to my amazement, want to hunt! They never expressed an interest when here in LA-LA (S. Calif) although my wife and hunt deer, turkeys, pheasant, hogs etc. in The People’s Republic of Californistan. I’ve taken them sporting clay shooting and they did great – amazing what you can do when you have young reflexes. Buty they have never hunted so I want to give them a real good experience to “hook them” for life. They are not ready for larger game – deer etc. yet.
I know many “lodge” or outfitter bird hunts are likely a bit “canned” but I don’t really care – I want them to have a great time and then we’ll work them up to other game and types of hunting from there. I’ve found a bunch of places by searching the web but recommendations from real hunters, not advertisements, is what I need.

So I’m looking for recommendations on bird hunting operations within a reasonable distance of Houston (? 2-3 hours?). My wife and I’ll come to Texas and take them but I’m not sure we’ll shoot or not.

Thanks in advance

asaxon

PS -this is my first THF post so if I screw up, cut me some slack...

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5260340 08/18/14 11:34 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Look up DoubleB20 on this forum. Gracious host, excellent dogs, and beautiful prairie. Its about 4 1/2 hours from Houston, but well worth it.
He is who I used for my daughters first upland hunt.
She loved it.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5260422 08/19/14 12:13 AM
T
tigger Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I am a bout 3 hrs north of houston, I have a place you can stay and hunt pen raised birds and I will furnish dogs etc. Pm me and we can discuss details off the forum.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5260534 08/19/14 01:06 AM
B
bradtown Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Contact Tim at http://www.deaconspoint.com/

Tell him Brad sent you... hunt the LBJ Ranch.
Great guy, dogs, facilities etc.

Cheers ,
Brad

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: bradtown] #5261583 08/19/14 05:32 PM
A
asaxon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Thanks Bradtown, Tigger and Kindall for responding. Much appreciated. I'll looking up the recommended places.

Any body have any comments on these or other recommendations?

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5262039 08/19/14 09:04 PM
M
My best friend has a tail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
For a planted bird experience that is close to Houston you might try Top Flight Hunting preserve www.topflighthunting.com

It is in Columbus, TX (about an hour west of Houston).

Leon is a great guy to work with.

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5262371 08/19/14 11:43 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Thanks Deb (Kendall). PM sent.

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: DoubleB20] #5263639 08/20/14 05:29 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Coastal Wildwings at Blessing (63 miles south of SugarLand) will fill your bill and is a lot closer to the Houston area that are some of those mentioned. I have had great experiences with the Davant family. They will take care of you.

Last edited by Pointer; 08/20/14 10:28 PM.
Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5264289 08/20/14 11:59 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: My best friend has a tail
For a planted bird experience that is close to Houston you might try Top Flight Hunting preserve www.topflighthunting.com

It is in Columbus, TX (about an hour west of Houston).

Leon is a great guy to work with.

+1 for Leon's place

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5264704 08/21/14 03:36 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We are 35 miles east of Dallas and we offer fun quail hunts over some outstranding dogs all at the most reasonable prices to be found. I can pic you all up at DFW airport and we have lots of good motels in Terrell 8 miles away. Check out our website to learn more about what we offer. Thanks for reading and we want to earn your business.

Walter and Grace

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5264777 08/21/14 04:14 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome to THF

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5264973 08/21/14 12:41 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
tag

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5265639 08/21/14 07:16 PM
A
asaxon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Thanks to all you folks for you input. I really appreciate all the input/intel including several emails/pms that I received.

I'm going to go for the TopFlightHunting as it gets good reviews, good notes from you folks at THF and it is only 1.5 hours away.

Thanks again. I'm really stoked about taking them.

PS - not only have my daughter and son-in-law decided to take up hunting, they went a bought a pickup truck to go with their Prius - and this is not a joke. I think they have caught the "Texas Spirit".

Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5446810 11/28/14 04:28 AM
A
asaxon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
I’d like to thank my Texas brethren for putting me onto Top Flight Hunting in Columbus TX. Leon and his crew were very good with my daughter and her husband on their very first bird hunt and their very first hunt of any kind. We got out there at 1 pm on the Sunday after 3 inches of rain overnight but conditions in the fields were not bad/too wet at all. The plan was that they’d shoot and if they missed, I’d back them up. They missed the first couple of birds which flew straight overhead but then they settled in and at the the end of the afternoon, the count was 7 of the 11 pheasants (one took off from so far it was “no shot”, 6 of the 10 chukar and we picked up 8 “free quail” (6 Tennessee Red and 2 regular bob white) that were left over in the field from the morning. The guide, a young man named Shawn worked the dogs nicely – we had a pointer plus a young lab that would then flush the birds. The birds flew very well for pen raised/planted birds. Only a couple of times did Shawn have to go in to help the flush dog get a bird up. It was just what I had hoped for in order to let the two of them as new hunters experience bird hunting/shooting. Yes, it was definitely planted birds and not something I’d want to do on any regular basis for all the reasons seasoned hunters know but it was just want was needed: a great start for the “kids.” The Top Flight operation is clearly a very busy one – there must have been 6-7 different groups of hunters out there on that Sunday PM.

So thanks again for the intel. I'll be back to TX in the future and plan on taking the "kids" on more challenging hunts that can be further away from Houston next time.

Last edited by asaxon; 11/28/14 04:32 AM.
Re: Need help finding a really good place to introduce my daughter and her husband to upland bird hunting in Texas. [Re: asaxon] #5446845 11/28/14 05:05 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I want you to know about my operation 35 miles east of Dallas called Poetry Shooting Club . We do quail hunts and we only book one groups at a time.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide