6244644 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5220652 - 07/27/14 09:48 AM Time to retire from hunting
Slimpickin Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW, Texas
When I retired from the USAF, I once again treasured the hunting trips with my Dad. After the last 12 years, Dad has gotten to a point now that he can't walk much at all and his eye sight is in poor condition. Last year was the first time i ever witnessed him missing a shot.
How can I approach this season without Dad hunting? He knows his limitations, but I still want to keep that spirit alive. Has anyone else had to cross that bridge?

#5220677 - 07/27/14 10:21 AM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Angleton, Texas
Like it or not time will always win out, as bad as we would like for time to stand still and remain in the good times, it won't.

My wife's Mother used to love hunting season, she was always the camp cook and it was a good time for her and her two daughters and those other two guys (me and my brother in law) and to spend time together. She absolutely loved getting breakfast together while we were out hunting and helping with the evening meal too, not to mention just sitting in the porch swing and looking across the canyon.

Of course, she would get on to my BIL and myself for making a drink at 8:30 in the morning after a kill, we still get a chuckle out of that.

Each year became a little more difficult, up to the point where we had to carry her up the stairs to a wheel chair. She pass away during one hunting season.

Edited by DCS (07/27/14 10:22 AM)

#5220700 - 07/27/14 10:41 AM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Lake Highlands, Brady
Take him to the deer lease even if he can only sit around the fire and drink coffee.

#5220800 - 07/27/14 12:32 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
Curtis Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
How can you not go hunting? You do it for the memories and tradition. It's something that is meant to be carried on from generation to generation. If you don't then that's just one more place it dies. What do you do? You take a youth hunting with you. Take a veteran with you. Those are things you do to pass it on. In In my opinion, hunting is not something that is to be only shared with you and your dad. It's meant for much more to enjoy. Find the enjoyment of sharing it with someone else. It's great that you have those memories with your dad. I know there are tons of kids out there that don't have that. I know adults too that dont have that. Look at it as a new window of opportunity to share it with someone else. The outdoors is too big to be just kept for two people alone.
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

#5220805 - 07/27/14 12:39 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
+1 and a bunch on what Curtis just said...
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#5220836 - 07/27/14 01:05 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Build a blind big enough for the 2 of you to hunt together. Set up 2 feeders with one closer for easier shots. It is more about the hunt than the kill to some. I took my Dad hunting when 87 and we spent about 15 days together in the blind hunting. In the end he tooks his biggest buck of his life and I was there to share the time with him. It was his last season to hunt and he passed away this past March 31 and was 88 yrs old. It was time I consider well spent hunting with him. Spending time with him at this point in both of your lives is more important than you realize.

#5220861 - 07/27/14 01:35 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: stxranchman]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Build a blind big enough for the 2 of you to hunt together. Set up 2 feeders with one closer for easier shots. It is more about the hunt than the kill to some. I took my Dad hunting when 87 and we spent about 15 days together in the blind hunting. In the end he tooks his biggest buck of his life and I was there to share the time with him. It was his last season to hunt and he passed away this past March 31 and was 88 yrs old. It was time I consider well spent hunting with him. Spending time with him at this point in both of your lives is more important than you realize.

I remember reading through those post (StX's) and agree a million %, The part I highlighted in Red, is probably one of the most significant things I have read posted on THF when it comes to family. I would add that, it is still important even if age isn't factored in. We dont know when a family member will be taken from us.

I would be as accommodating as the "old man" wants and needs, some enjoy just being in the camp/hunting atmosphere sharing their knowledge.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5220878 - 07/27/14 01:51 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
Slimpickin Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW, Texas
Great insight from all! I myself will continue to hunt. My son hunted with me for the last few years, but he too joined the military. My Son and I will hunt together as time permits. I've also introduced hunting to others outside of our family and will continue to invite others along.
I'll keep taking Dad with me regardless, but always get an earful when I insist on staying with him. I feel the getting out is more important than the harvest. We'll see how this year goes.

#5220981 - 07/27/14 03:22 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
Schuetzen Offline
Light Foot

My dad never hunted until or fished until I was old enough to go along then he took me duck hunting and deer hunting every year. I don't remember him ever shooting anything but he made sure that I had the opportunity. He bought a place in the national forest with a 6 acre lake so I could hunt (in season) and fish every weekend. When I got older there were several boats ranging from a bay boat to a 35 ft sport fisherman which he sold while I was in Vietnam. During that time he never fished but I sure did.

I tried to get my son interested but it did not take, he likes the entertainment in the city, I am now working on my grandson so there is still hope.

#5221263 - 07/27/14 06:46 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: stxranchman]
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Azle,Tx /Hunt Jack Co.
This....

Originally Posted By: Curtis
How can you not go hunting? You do it for the memories and tradition. It's something that is meant to be carried on from generation to generation. If you don't then that's just one more place it dies. What do you do? You take a youth hunting with you. Take a veteran with you. Those are things you do to pass it on. In In my opinion, hunting is not something that is to be only shared with you and your dad. It's meant for much more to enjoy. Find the enjoyment of sharing it with someone else. It's great that you have those memories with your dad. I know there are tons of kids out there that don't have that. I know adults too that dont have that. Look at it as a new window of opportunity to share it with someone else. The outdoors is too big to be just kept for two people alone.

...and this!

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

up yingyang

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"

#5221381 - 07/27/14 07:56 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
Trifecta Outdoors Offline
Woodsman

Loc: New Mexico
I plan to die hunting. Don't know if your dad is the same way but I hope that if I'm blind and can't walk they will still drag my old carcass out to the woods. I know he probably don't want to hold your hunting back but try to find a way for him to be there even if he isn't hunting.

#5221424 - 07/27/14 08:22 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
Southtexas36 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houma, LA
My dad never missed a trip to the lease, I never missed a year in the stand with him up until he passed. As he aged, we'd hunt more out of the truck and out of blinds that I built that were easy to get into. He left this world just as he would have wanted.....we came home from Laredo in January on a Sunday, last hunt of the season, on Monday he went to the doctor sent immediately to the hospital and never came out, his ticker just couldn't make it any longer. We did this for 30 plus years never missing a year. I was never about the kill but the time together and I am so grateful today of the memories that we made.

For me it is now about the kids, I'm trying to build that relationship with them that I have with my father. Being at the lease makes me think of him, so I'll be doing that as long as I can. His hunting hat still sits on the rack where he left it from our last hunt. Enjoy every minute you can with him, you will not regret it.

#5221444 - 07/27/14 08:39 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
I agree with all that said take him along anyway. Mt Dad and I dob't hunt together, he's not real interested in it. But he reads more than another other person I know. He and tend to agree in most things and we ALWAYS have something to talk about. When I hunt my grandparents place, dad will be in bed when I go out and will be the first one to crack open a beer with me when I get back in. I always enjoy sitting around the fire with him drinking beer until we are good and sleepy.

I hunted in the San Juan for elk in November. The elder of a group of Louisiana men was pushing 90. He stil made the trip. He hadn't missed it in over 60 years. He didn't hunt anymore but he stayed in camp and picked on two generations younger than him. You can't replace elders.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5221770 - 07/27/14 11:43 PM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
I am in the same boat, except I am the father, your father will have to learn to accept his limitations. It was pretty easy for me, my health and mobility went to hell in a hand basket all at once. Can't walk without a cane, not safe on uneven ground and totally blind in one eye. I don't even drive anymore, so it was easy to realize I cannot do that I used to do. Our son or someone else takes me hunting, my blind is my bedroom in our cabin, my feeder was moved close enough that I have no problem using a scope. Best part is I get to stay in the cabin, with one of the grandkids. If I shoot something, they come and take care of field dressing etc.. Now watching the feeder is as good as shooting something.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5221833 - 07/28/14 02:48 AM Re: Time to retire from hunting [Re: Slimpickin]
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Might want to listen to your Dad. Most likely he made some sacrifices for you along the way. Don't push him, to some people the isolation is scary. This might be the year to miss opening day and do something else he enjoys. Guess I'd ask this question, is this trip for you or for him or the others (grandkids, cousins, etc.) I had a friend who enjoyed hanging around the deer processing place on opening weekend. He enjoyed people, and would rather watch them and visit about the hunt, whether stalking, feeder, blind, H/L fence, caliber of gun, etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide