Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
List a great hunting memory #5111747 05/13/14 06:37 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Seems like forum is kind of slow here lately so I thought I'd try and start a topic that might generate some interesting reading! Think about a memory from a hunting trip that pops into your head year after year, I'll lead off.
I was Elk hunting in the early 1980's North of Creede Colorado in unit 76. This was before the point system required that you have a lifetime of points to hunt 76. My buddy and I were camped above timberline on the south face of Baldy Cinco which is currently about the northern limit of 76. It was cold for September and the bulls were really screaming at each other. The memory that jumps into my head time and time again is of both us laying awake all night unable to sleep because of the seemingly never ending sound of the bulls talking trash to each other literally all night. They would bugle,chuckle and scream at one another until all you could hear were horns clashing and the sound of rocks flying and brush breaking. The cows were mewing all night as well and several times they were so close that we stuck our heads out the tent and the full moon was so bright you could almost count the points on the bulls. I killed a nice 6x6 as did my buddy. Great memories, Baker

Last edited by elkhunter49; 05/13/14 09:55 PM.

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111790 05/13/14 07:24 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Great story, and good idea Baker.

Here's mine, what I call the "2nd Chance Bull".

New Mexico, Unit 5a, November 2012. I was hunting some familiar ground, looking for a good bull on a DIY hunt. It had been a fun trip so far, seeing elk every day. But so far, all I'd seen were cows and young bulls. Late on the afternoon of the 3rd day I decided to go scout an area I hadn't hunted yet. Rounding a bend, I found a little tank that still held water in it when nearly the entire rest of the country was dry. Walking further, I found a trail leading up to a protected little valley meadow full of good grass. The trail between the two was like a highway, and lo and behold there were fresh bull tracks on it. I backed out and made a plan for the next morning.

By that time of year the bulls don't stay in the open much after daylight. Therefore, the very first crack of legal light found me slowly stalking that trail. There were two cows at the tank, a good sign. As I moved on toward the meadow my senses were fully alive, trying to catch sound or sight of a bull before he saw me. As often happens, it didn't work out that way. I rounded the bend into the meadow, and in a split second I saw a big, mature bull and he saw me. He did not stand around to look, but trotted off into the timber. Cursing myself for moving too fast and being an idiot, I dropped to one knee, backed into the brush, and hit my cow call. Within 30 seconds I was shocked to see two bulls pop out on top of a high ridge about 210 yards away. The first bull kept going, but the second paused a second to look over the valley and find this lost cow. That was all I needed. I already had the rifle up and my scope on the bull. I did my best to control my breathing and my racing heart. Then, with the rising sun back-lighting the bull in an amazing scene, I touched off the .338 Win Mag. The bull dropped in his tracks, right there on top of the ridge. He would turn out to be the 6x6 in my sig line below, my best elk yet, my 2nd Chance bull.

Last edited by TxAg; 05/13/14 07:27 PM.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111798 05/13/14 07:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Mine is the last hunt I did with my Dad that I did a thread about on here.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111805 05/13/14 07:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
An 8pt buck I shot my second year hunting. I lost my first deer due to poor shot placement, found blood look for a while and never found him(other hunters saw him later in the season). I wont blame it all on the gun because I was pretty excited, but after taking it to the range it was off by both my shooting and dads shooting and at that point the old 30 carbine was retired from hunting. Fast forward to the next season I was with dad and shot an 8pt buck at about 70 yards with dads Rem 700 mtn rifle in 280. Shot felt good was behind the shoulder, deer took off fell down after about ten yards got right back up and into some really thick brush. We waited a bit and climbed down.

We didn't find any blood at all no hair or anything. Started looking along the trails and couldn't find anything, me and dad split up, after a bit I stumbled on an old dear skeleton and it gave me doubts I was pretty upset and thought I had lost another deer... then I herd dad yell my name and I came running. Dad found him about 25 yards from where I shot him crawled up way under a big cedar tree. Mind you the brush was so thick on this place you couldn't walk through most of it, think crawling. Only blood we found was one spot underneath the deer where we found him. Was one of my happiest hunting memories.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: stxranchman] #5111807 05/13/14 07:34 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Mine is the last hunt I did with my Dad that I did a thread about on here.

I enjoyed following yal and no sho.

I still love sitting with my brother and dad, need to do it more often!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: redchevy] #5111845 05/13/14 08:12 PM
10pointdoe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
11. No jokes of a sexual nature – just don’t post them. We know some are funny, but there are children that browse our forum and we want to set a positive example.

First warning.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111889 05/13/14 08:54 PM
T
texasdude28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
2012 duck season, my Dad came down to visit and we had a 3 generation duck hunt. Don't know how many more of those I will have.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111899 05/13/14 09:01 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I have a few but the ones that always seem to pop in my head is my first kill.. a doe...just me and my dad in camp that weekend, I remember the little talk he gave me that morning telling me he didn't care if I shot something or not, he was just having fun being in the woods with me and it was up to me if I wanted to shoot or not...I was 7...then the other is of me taking my best friend deer hunting and him getting his first deer ever....how he was afraid to clean it after wards....so much fun, ive never laughed so hard....He passed away almost 13 years ago now...

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: 10pointdoe] #5111901 05/13/14 09:01 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
x2

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111946 05/13/14 09:30 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
All hunts are great to me and I can't think of one that stands out above the rest (I'm sure there is one)

But as a kid we had a small private lake we went to, I used to get to take the 22 and walk around the lake shooting bull frogs. When I got a minna bucket full we'd fry up a mess of fish and frog legs! That was the good ole day for me !!!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111947 05/13/14 09:31 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
This past hunting season, Thanksgiving Weekend.

Have a buddy who has about 1000 acres in East Texas, the place has some really good bucks, so me and my dad were stoked to get out there during their rut. Only problem was my mom's birthday is Nov 30th, and my dad said he would have to stay back. My mom had never shot a deer, So of course I asked my mom if she would go hunting with me and she could shoot a doe if we were given the opportunity.

The first morning me and my mom set up in a ground blind of a big grazing pasture and a recently cut pipeline. Had a few doe cross the pipeline early, but my mom wasnt able to find them in her scope. She was super upset with herself, so I suggested we get out and see if we cant spot some deer on the other side of the pasture across the rise. We had already agreed that if we saw a buck I'd shoot, and a doe my mom would shoot.

Soon as we came over the rise, there was a wide 8 point about 200 yds out. Long story short, he should be back from the taxi in the next month or so.

That afternoon, we headed out to another pasture to get her that doe. Didnt see any deer, but right at dusk, a group of about 20 pigs came out of the opposite side and started feeding. Crept up with in about 200 yards, laid down on our bellies, and did a '1,2,3 Shoot.' We both dropped ours, and I was able to get 2 more on the run.

The next morning, my mom finally got her doe. Needless to say she was hooked, and I had found my new huntin buddy/lucky charm. Some of the best hunting memories I've ever had were made that weekend...

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111970 05/13/14 09:50 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Great stories folks, thanks for playing! Hunting has always had a special place in my heart. I started hunting on the Middle Concho river east of San Angelo where I grew up. I'm not sure how old I was but I was in the 8/9 range.

Keep em coming!

Last edited by elkhunter49; 05/13/14 09:50 PM.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5111995 05/13/14 10:13 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Squirrel hunting with my dad when I was youngin. Couldnt sit still for more than 5 minutes, freezing my butt off and hated shooting that single shot shotgun, but I loved walking the woods with him just hanging out and learning things. We would always have the squirrels we killed for dinner at camp. We had a spot up around Pat Mayse lake, that was years ago. Since then, weve hunted all over Texas together and even in Colorado in a couple feet of snow, but those memories of just being with my dad camping and shooting tree rats is some of the best memories I have.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112052 05/13/14 11:06 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Christmas Day 1974. My brother Eric and I had both asked for shot guns hoping that 11 and 12 was finally old enough to have guns of our own… and Santa didn't disappoint. We both unwrapped 20 gauge single shots and a box of shells. We immediately begged dad to take us to the pasture to shoot, and he obliged. He created his own version of a moving target by putting cardboard into an old tire, and rolling in down an incline at different yardages and speeds. His thoughts were it would be a good way to teach us how to lead a running rabbit, which was our most likely quarry.

After we both got pretty consistent knocking down the tire, and one more safety lecture on firearms, Dad cut us loose all on our own to walk through grandpa’s back section in search of pesky jack rabbits. But on the way we decided to swing by the stock tank to see if any ducks were home. From a distance we spied ripples on the water and put an “Indian sneak” on the tank. As we were approaching I told my brother to take the first duck to jump, and I’d take the 2nd. The plan came off to perfection when a hen and drake mallard took off. Both ducks folded and fell within feet of each other. At that point two hunters were born, and we've been bagging game together ever since.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: 68A] #5112058 05/13/14 11:11 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
So many great memories. Fifties, Sixties and seventies hunting with my Dad and little brother, late seventies, eighties, and nineties, hunting with my two sons and daughter. In the nineties my wife took over the shooting and got excited about hunting and still does today. Ten grandkids now and the oldest is 9 so I've got lots of fun times left. Don't get no better. banana2

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112118 05/13/14 11:45 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
One of my greatest hunting memories happend in October 1993 in Fairfield Texas. I was sitting in my Dads rifle stand just to watch what would show up and he was in his bow stand just inside the woods with his bow. Right off the bat I had a black hog come through and then a few Does showed up at the far end of the wood line. I was watching them through the binos when all the sudden I catch a glimpse of a GIANT buck like nothing I had ever seen come running across the opening towards the Does. I knew I didn't have time to count the points before he would be inside the woods after the Does so I just watched in awe as he disappeared into the woods. At the time I guess I was probably 13 years old or so and I knew nobody was going to believe I just saw a 20ish point B&C when I got back to camp and told the story but as it turned out the story wouldn't be needed because we would be bringing the real thing back with us that night.

To make a real long story short, about 20 minutes after I saw that buck my Dad put a arrow in him and the buck took off. He waited until dark to come get me and told me he thinks he shot a 16 point. That's when I told him what I saw and I thought he was closer to 20 points. While my Dad picked up the blood trail I went and got the help of another guy that hunted not to far away and sure enough he didn't believe the story I had to tell. By the time I got back to where all the action was my Dad had already recovered the buck.

The buck ended up having 18 scorable points, a 24.5" inside spread, just under 7" bases, and field dressed a whopping 175 pounds. The official score was either 176" or 178" (I cant remember) and was his first bow kill ever. At the meat locker the owner of the place had to weigh the buck twice because he wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with his scale. roflmao

Word about a buck that big spread pretty quick back in those days and by the time we got home Ray Sasser from the Dallas Morning News had called and wanted to do a story on the buck. The buck did end up in the DMN and also the Fairfield paper as well.

I have lots of great memories but that one tops them all.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112188 05/14/14 12:19 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I guess I was around 16 or 17 and I killed a mediocre buck on the side of a ridge right before dark. My dad came in his '66 Bronco and before I could stop him, he tried to shortcut across an elm bottom creek and sunk it up to the hubs. (This is back when hill country creeks flowed on a regular basis.) We cut big-mully grass, per his instructions, and stuck it under the tires to no avail, but it did get us good and messy. Then we hiked to the landowner's house and knocked on the door. His girlfriend answered. I can still see her, maybe 4 or 5 years older than me, the kitchen back light showing she'd decided to curtail the use of undergarments. My dad told me to go call my mom and tell her we'd be late. Rotary dial phone dial was so busted up you had to use a spent rifle cartridge laying beside it to dial the phone. I was just anxious to get back in the kitchen. Landowner drove us back out in the dark, hooked up, cranked the engine and jerked us out of the hole. I think Dad and I almost forgot to pick up the buck before we left for home.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112292 05/14/14 01:00 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Mine is the Friday the 13th Doe:

Arrowed a doe at about 4:15pm on Friday, December the 13th, 2013. I could tell from the way she walked off that something was not right. Turns out the arrow deflected off of a branch and she was gut shot. The temperature at the time that I hit her was -10 and with clear calm weather was dropping fast as the sun began to set.

I walked in circles for an hour to stay warm and than began to track (snow made this easier than normal). I spotted her laying down with her head up about 400 yards from my stand. Fortunately she did not spot me so I backed off and waited. I checked on her every 30-40 minutes to see if her head was down and walked in circles in the interim to stay warm. By 8:30 pm the temperature had dropped to -19 and she still had her head up. To top it off the wolves were howling about a 1/2 mile away so I did not dare leave her for the night or I knew there would be nothing in the morning.

I did not have a gun with me for a mercy shot and could not get close enough with the bow to finish her so I decided to continue the vigil. Finally at 9:00 pm she started to intermittently put her head down. At 9:15 pm she put it down and it stayed down. At 9:30 pm I approached and poked her with a stick - no response, finally.

I loaded her into the toboggan and began the 1 mile snowshoe back to my truck. Arrived at my truck at 10:15 pm. Temperature was now -21. I loaded her up and was home at midnight where I field dressed her on a tarp in the garage.

She was not a trophy and was not even that big, but looking back, out the all the deer I taken, she was the most memorable.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112310 05/14/14 01:08 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
15 and killed a doe with my bow-spot and stalk. This was in '79 or '80 back when very few bowhunted, especially in east TX. The men couldn't believe it (I was the first and only bowhunter they had seen and they kind of thought it was silly). My Dad actually tracked and found the deer, he and the other men cut a pole to haul her out, and I was a hero around the campfire that night.

It won't get any better than that on any animal I ever kill.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112344 05/14/14 01:32 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
me and my buddy were spot and stalk hunting for pigs....we had been out a day or two before and had two misses at 30 yards, was kind of a bummer. we drove to a ridge where we thought there would be pigs at and sure enough, they were feeding in a meadow below.

we stalked within about 60-70 yards of the group and let them close the remaining distance. it was his shot, there were a few pigs around 30 yards and a snow white pig a little further. he told me to shoot the white one, we ranged it at 42 yards, I drew back and let one fly. arrow blew thru the sow and it took off in a dead run, and when I saw it fall about 100 yards away I was on cloud nine!

I was so excited I wanted to do a war whoop, but the other pigs never noticed that one of the herd was missing, and my buddy drilled one at about 25 yards thru both shoulders, it ran 15-20 yards and keeled over.

One of the most exciting and fun hunts I've ever had

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112379 05/14/14 01:48 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I was sitting in a coffee shop, just having a cup to pass the time........

It was a lovely Thursday morning in Gunnison, Colorado and a very warm 2 degrees at 8K', there was snow accumulated up around the 8800K'+ range and there was a nice muley buck hanging around a group of does. After deciding it was going to be cutting it close to a 30" wide buck we decided on a 2 to 1 vote that my wife was shooting that deer for her first ever muley. We closed the distance to 378yds and she took rest on a sage bush and I told her to just put the crosshairs behind the shoulder where she wanted to hit. One shot rang out and deer bolted from the scene of the crime. Buck didn't make it far and lost sight of him in the patch of quakies. She was pumped, I was pumped. Got to the deer and then the caping, photos and packing off the side of the mountain started. By the time it was done it was around 12 and I'd called ahead to a cpl guys and had them bring up hamburgers out to that top secret location. We ate and then it was my turn to look for a deer and we spent the remainder of the day looking for me a deer while the other guys headed back up to the high country after elk. Get in after dark, take a shower (put on my sparkly jeans) and make plans to meet someone at the local steakhouse and as I'm walking out the door the phone rings (it's about 8:30 by this time) and one of the elk hunters has hit cell service range just outside of town and informed me they had 4 bulls down above timber line and needed to know what to do. Me not wanting to waste the next day assisting with the effort to not interfere with my deer tag decided to round folks up and go get it done that night. Was almost 11 by the time we made it there and decided to take a jeep up the snow packed rd to get there (pucker factor x 2 with a 1000' drop off and just a few bushes acting as buffer on the switchbacks). By the time we got all the bulls gutted, bigger ones split and carried to the rangers it was after 3am, then coming back down the mountain in the jeep (pucker x100000 this time) was tired and had John Anderson blaring to stay away, we was Swingin'". Arrived in Gunnison city limits just before 5am. Quick shower and 10 minute nap and it was time to go look for a deer. It was an exhausting day, but man, was it fun!

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112424 05/14/14 02:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Great stories guy's up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112672 05/14/14 04:26 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Nothing better than good deer stories in the off season cheers

Like most of ya'll, I have some great memories and great hunts, would be dang near impossible to narrow down a favorite or "most memorable", but I had one this year that will stay with me.

My older sister grew up going to the lease, but never showed any interest in shooting. We finally convinced her to try dove hunting and she was hooked. She started going to the lease more and more and would go sit in my rifle blind while I was bow hunting. Sometimes, I would sit down the bow just to sit with her for the hunt.

After about two years of doing that, she finally told me on Christmas that she wanted to shoot a deer. I was stoked. Typically, it isn't difficult on our place to find a cull or doe, so I didn't think it would be an issue. I told her that the next weekend, I would set aside buck hunting to get her a deer. Turned out, finding a good cull or doe was harder than I expected.

We left on a Thursday and hunted hard. We found plenty of deer driving around safari style, but with her being a new hunter, I wanted her first to be a good clean kill and wasn't sure how she would do. She was adamant that this was going to be one shot and done deal, so we stuck to the stands.

Though we saw plenty of deer and got to spend some quality time together, we couldn't close the deal. Sunday morning was going to be the last hunt and getting her to get moving for that hunt took some energy. Finally got her out and into the stand. Day light broke and there wasn't a deer in sight. She went to sleep and I don't think I have looked for movement that hard in my life. At around 9, I was about to give up and had been packing the pack back. I looked up and a lone doe was directly under the feeder. I woke her up and got the gun out the window. I went through the pre-shooting routine we had practiced on the range and told her to fire when she was ready. Didn't take her long to find her spot and squeeze one off. Perfect hit and the deer dropped. There was plenty of excitement and celebrating. Sharing that experience with her was simply awesome!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112715 05/14/14 07:54 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
One of my favorite trips was taking my nephew for his 1sy deer. I bought him a .270 and he got it dialed in, took him to our lease at the time that we shared with 12 other hunters (12,000 acres). While in camp, the other hunters found out that my nephew had lost 1uncle and one aunt, leaving me the "soul" member outside of his mom and dad and the only one in our family that hunts.

I took him out that morning to try and get him on a cull with my last "tag". My hunting spot was pretty quite since the ranch hands where working on a windmill. Got back to camp and everyone was there, it didn't take long and 12 guys I hunted with, quit what they where doing and all went to locate a buck. 30 minutes later the radio went crazy.

One group spotted a young buck in a small pocket of trees surrounded by 50 acres of open ground, by the time I got there with my nephew, every other hunter in camp had that poor buck "surrounded" LOL. took about another 30 minutes to get him in a spot to take that buck without endangering the hunters on the perimeter. It was a sure trophy for him and the whole camp spent the rest of the afternoon celebrating and processing the deer.

My nephew has now got into bow hunting as well as rifle since that trip. The guy's at the lease took time out of their last weekend, just to help a young fella out, great bunch of guys that made a huge impact on a young man.

They where not going to let that small buck leave those small trees LOL and we even took a quick vote to allow him to take it ( lease rules where 8pnt or bigger), I didn't vote, they went 12-0. He was so proud you'd have thought it was a book deer.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Western] #5112773 05/14/14 11:23 AM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Man I love these stories, they remind me of why I love to hunt. It's like going along on every hunt. Well done guys, keep em coming!!!

Last edited by elkhunter49; 05/14/14 11:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide