Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5112929 05/14/14 01:55 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Here is one that I posted years ago:
A South Texas Quail Hunt

It was February in deep South Texas. On what started as a cool, somewhat drizzly morning, I was walking behind two pointers covering the ground ahead of a truckload of relief dogs and clients. We were hunting the brush lines along senderos which crisscross a large pasture located maybe 20 miles north of what is known as the Lower Rio Grande Valley, and we were finding birds.

PeeWee, a White/Liver altered male pointer, in particular was having a big morning. He was finding coveys on a regular basis, and seemed to be pacing himself well as he worked back and forth. His ole scorpion-like tail would snap back into what could be construed as a passable pointer's tail, and the tip would begin to quiver just like that of a rattlesnake as he would slam on the brakes and lock up. After the covey rise, if we worked the singles, all that pacing went out the window. PeeWee kicked in the afterburner as he zigzagged back and forth hunting up the singles. He knew they were there, and he was finding them. Even the clients were egging him on... "Get 'em PeeWee! Get 'em boy!"

Everything was going as perfectly as can be reasonably hoped for.

While utilizing a labrador to find a crippled bird, I lost contact with PeeWee. I unsheathed my trusty Tracker, and began searching for a signal...I picked up a strong return which seemed to be coming from the direction of a small mesquite mott. Sure enough, I could make out PeeWee hard against a large clump of tall grass and weeds at the edge of the mott. He was locked up tight, eyes bulging, tail quivering. PeeWee’s nose was just touching the grass. I raised my orange hunting cap, signaling the truck that we had a point. As the hunters eased forward, I positioned them to the left and right of the mott. I cautioned them to be ready. I would walk straight in and flush the birds.

I carefully approached the grass, and just began to move my foot to kick the clump... a huge, toothy maw emitting a particularly unnerving guttural hiss burst into existence where only the targeted grass had stood a millisecond before. PeeWee yelped, I yelled (some witnesses alleged that I screamed like a woman...but that's just not so!) and the three of us, man, dog, and hog all scrambled to move out of harm’s way in three different directions. I was convinced ole Pee had donated his nose to the hog, until I caught up with him and checked him for cuts. It seemed that only our collective prides had suffered....At that point, my greatest concern was that the hunters would injure themselves as they held their sides and slapped their knees, while hooting at our brand of brush country comedy.

It was a great day. It was an incredible morning.

Note: Years later, I still have PeeWee. I still am both cussing and praising him alternately.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5113313 05/14/14 06:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
One more:

Youngest daughter decided she wanted to go deer hunting for the first time at 14. Some basic shooting lessons and we were ready. Got to the place one afternoon at about 4:30. Too late to do much but go sit in the blind closest to the house. We settled in and I began to think about a little snooze. Was dozing about 10 minutes and she tapped me. "Dad, are those big enough?" Two nice bucks had come into the food plot. "Uh, yes honey, which one is bigger?" She pointed him out correctly and I told her to forget about everything but putting the crosshairs steady on his shoulder and squeezing the trigger. "BAM!!" Deer took a few steps and looked our way. Told her she missed and to put another one in the rifle and take her time. "BAM!!" Deer looked our way and started slowly walking out of the field. I said "You missed him honey, let's try again."

About that time the buck starts wobbling and falls over. I have never been more excited in my life. She was beside herself with joy. A memory that will never be forgotten by either of us.

Here she is today:

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/14/14 06:56 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5113556 05/14/14 10:42 PM
T
tgreg243 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
My best memory was a hunt in Llano Texas with my father. After a few years of frustration for him of coming home empty handed he connected with a nice deer. He had parkinson's disease and had trouble shooting. He also had hip replacement surgery and needed a walker to steady himself. I can remember telling him to just shoot we have plenty of ammo so just keep shooting. I think it was the third day of a five day hunt about 11:00 a.m. I drove past my brother and he was not ready to leave his stand and dad was just down the road from him. My brother said he heard 5 or 6 shots. As I drove up to the ground blind he was standing outside of the blind, with his walker and as I asked if he had done any good he responded that he had shot a wall hanger. When I asked him where the deer was he pointed out into the mesquite and said there is a nice 12 pointer about a hundred yards out. When I asked him if he was sure it was a 12 pointer he informed me he had already walked out and saw it up close. Now this is a man that needed help walking across pavement to get into the truck. I had to question to myself about that one. As we drove across the mesquite field it was the slowest drive because of the terrain and I was really skeptical of what he had told me about walking out and seeing this deer. When we got closer and I saw the deer I was no longer skeptical. Sure enough he had shot the best deer of his life. beautiful 12 pointer. It just made the Texas B&C but it gave him the bragging rights that a man from Florida deserved. When the land owner asked him if he knew what a nice deer it was he just said (It had horns).

My Dad and best friend past away last month at the age of 86. I know he is in heaven asking the lord when are we going hunting.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5113634 05/14/14 11:54 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Most of my favorite memories of hunting are not with me hunting but with me guiding. With guiding and you put a hunter on an animal it is like you are the one with the rifle. You know you could have taken the shot. A lot of the favorites were not even book type animals. I remember one hunter I had that was part of a company furnished hunt for WT. Very nice gentleman who had never hunted or even fired a rifle before. Bought a model 94 Winchester 30-30 and a couple of boxes of shells. We sighed it in with the open sighs. that afternoon we went out hunting. Found a small 8 point after a doe. Got down in a dry creek and got to within 30 yds. of him. he used the creek bank as a rest and shot. Missed but the buck stayed where he was. Unloaded the rifle at the buck without hitting it. He asked what he should do. I asked do you have any more shells on you pockets? He said yes so I said put another one in the gun. He did and to my surprise the buck never ran off and he killed it with the next shot. You would have thought that was the biggest WT in the world taking pictures and him telling his buddies about it. That happened over 30 years ago and I still remember it like yesterday.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: don k] #5113639 05/14/14 11:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: don k
Most of my favorite memories of hunting are not with me hunting but with me guiding. With guiding and you put a hunter on an animal it is like you are the one with the rifle. You know you could have taken the shot. A lot of the favorites were not even book type animals. I remember one hunter I had that was part of a company furnished hunt for WT. Very nice gentleman who had never hunted or even fired a rifle before. Bought a model 94 Winchester 30-30 and a couple of boxes of shells. We sighed it in with the open sighs. that afternoon we went out hunting. Found a small 8 point after a doe. Got down in a dry creek and got to within 30 yds. of him. he used the creek bank as a rest and shot. Missed but the buck stayed where he was. Unloaded the rifle at the buck without hitting it. He asked what he should do. I asked do you have any more shells on you pockets? He said yes so I said put another one in the gun. He did and to my surprise the buck never ran off and he killed it with the next shot. You would have thought that was the biggest WT in the world taking pictures and him telling his buddies about it. That happened over 30 years ago and I still remember it like yesterday.

That's a great story.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5113729 05/15/14 01:20 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k575/ranchdawg1/012114IFONE2930_zpsa6e5c674.jpg

Took my grandson Dillon deer hunting again this past weekend hoping to get his first deer. We had talked about what we would do if a large hog came out. He said if a "monster hawg" comes out, we would both shoot it together at the same time on the count of 3. We had practiced our count on the way driving down to the ranch and even when we got into the blind. We were ready. ( LOL ). We got into the blind at 3:00 pm and after getting settled in he says hes gonna take a short nap. Well at 5 :00 this monster hawg comes out and is making his way to the feeder which is 70 yards in front of the blind. As I am trying to wake Dillon, the hawg gets closer and closer to the blind. He was eating on a large pile of corn we spread out. I finally get Dillon on his feet and the hawg is 40 yards broadside. We both have our rifles out the windows and I whisper to him, are you ready for me to count. He says yes, and I count one, BOOOOOM, he shoots, I jump, the hawg flips over. I say loudly WHAT DID YOU DO ? He says loudly, YOU FREAKED ME OUT WHEN YOU SAID ONE ! LOL, after watching the hawg for about 5 minutes we walked up to it and it was popping his worn down cutters and kicking his back leg. I get Dillon in position and he shoots the hawg again in the chest. DRT. Fun times with grandson, will never forget it !

Without a doubt,,,,,this hunt !

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Ranch Dawg] #5114045 05/15/14 11:23 AM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k575/ranchdawg1/012114IFONE2930_zpsa6e5c674.jpg

Took my grandson Dillon deer hunting again this past weekend hoping to get his first deer. We had talked about what we would do if a large hog came out. He said if a "monster hawg" comes out, we would both shoot it together at the same time on the count of 3. We had practiced our count on the way driving down to the ranch and even when we got into the blind. We were ready. ( LOL ). We got into the blind at 3:00 pm and after getting settled in he says hes gonna take a short nap. Well at 5 :00 this monster hawg comes out and is making his way to the feeder which is 70 yards in front of the blind. As I am trying to wake Dillon, the hawg gets closer and closer to the blind. He was eating on a large pile of corn we spread out. I finally get Dillon on his feet and the hawg is 40 yards broadside. We both have our rifles out the windows and I whisper to him, are you ready for me to count. He says yes, and I count one, BOOOOOM, he shoots, I jump, the hawg flips over. I say loudly WHAT DID YOU DO ? He says loudly, YOU FREAKED ME OUT WHEN YOU SAID ONE ! LOL, after watching the hawg for about 5 minutes we walked up to it and it was popping his worn down cutters and kicking his back leg. I get Dillon in position and he shoots the hawg again in the chest. DRT. Fun times with grandson, will never forget it !

Without a doubt,,,,,this hunt !

This story made me LOL for real. So many great stories. Don your story is awesome. Some of my best hunting memories came from guiding my kids and some of my friends kids!!! Thanks for posting them folks.Baker

Last edited by elkhunter49; 05/15/14 11:25 AM.

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114402 05/15/14 04:16 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Good stuff fellas, fun reading these.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114486 05/15/14 05:35 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I posted this a long time ago and just did again in the OT "Wish you could've been there" thread, but it works here too......

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Colorado Late Season Elk Hunt SW of Montrose (Late 70's)

Snow was about 20+" deep and temp was hovering near 20 with a slight breeze & drifting snow. Brother-in-law had drank his share of homemade Muskedine Wine before turning in. About 2AM he went out of the tent in only his Fruit of the Looms & hunting boots to take a leak. Someone peep quietly zipped both the screen and door flap shut when he stepped out side.

He was out there moanin' & groanin' about how cold it was and how long it was taking and never heard the zipper. BFF, his brother-in-law, and I were all trying to keep a straight face and not laugh as he cussed, stomped, & fumbled and nearly brought the tent down trying to get back inside.......

I'm still looking over my shoulder and waiting on pay back for that one! loser8

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114541 05/15/14 06:19 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
dang, I have too many memories of great hunts ... it will take some time to formulate a few ... stay tuned.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114653 05/15/14 08:12 PM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Like others, most of my fondest memories come from days out hunting but my best memory by far is also the oldest. As a kid growing up in Colorado I used to beg my dad to take me elk hunting with the guys. Well as elk hunting was all business with no time to have a little one tagging along I stayed at home while dad and the "grown up's" were out. I remember like yesterday when he finally decided he would take me for the first "official" time when I was 9 years old. We started our hike way before daylight on what was a very difficult walk for me and dad showed uncharacteristic patience in helping me over trees and along rock slides until we reached a spot overlooking a small park surround by aspens and scattered pines. Dad said "I was sitting right here on this rock when I killed my first elk in 1963. I could see the excitement in his eyes as he described how the elk came out across the park and how the bull finally stepped out. He relived the shot and explained how he shot the elk twice and where it fell like it had happened just the day before. We sat in silence for some time and watched the park. I happened to look down at my feet and to my amazement both of his spent brass were sitting by my boot! Almost 16 years later and they were still there! Obviously black and tarnished but still there none the less! As I picked them up you could see the shock in his face! He never knew it but I carried both of those pieces of brass with me on every hunt I ever went on from that day forward. When my dad passed away
I placed one of the pieces of brass in his coat pocket at the funeral. I still carry the other piece with me on every hunt still to this day. When I want to visit my dad I make my way back to that rock overlooking the park and sit with him...

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114669 05/15/14 08:23 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
10ring, great story and tribute to your dad up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: 10ring] #5114676 05/15/14 08:32 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: 10ring
Like others, most of my fondest memories come from days out hunting but my best memory by far is also the oldest. As a kid growing up in Colorado I used to beg my dad to take me elk hunting with the guys. Well as elk hunting was all business with no time to have a little one tagging along I stayed at home while dad and the "grown up's" were out. I remember like yesterday when he finally decided he would take me for the first "official" time when I was 9 years old. We started our hike way before daylight on what was a very difficult walk for me and dad showed uncharacteristic patience in helping me over trees and along rock slides until we reached a spot overlooking a small park surround by aspens and scattered pines. Dad said "I was sitting right here on this rock when I killed my first elk in 1963. I could see the excitement in his eyes as he described how the elk came out across the park and how the bull finally stepped out. He relived the shot and expanded how he shot the elk twice and where it fell like it had happened just the day before. We sat in silence for some time and watched the park. I happened to look down at my feet and to my amazement both of his spent brass were sitting by my boot! Almost 16 years later and they were still there! Obviously black and tarnished but still there none the less! As I picked them up you could see the shock in his face! He never knew it but I carried both of those pieces of brass with me on every hunt I ever went on from that day forward. When my dad passed away
I placed one of the pieces of brass in his coat pocket at the funeral. I still carry the other piece with me on every hut still to this day. When I want to visit my dad I make my way back to that rock overlooking the park and sit with him...

HnF "really" likes this one! up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5114685 05/15/14 08:42 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Damn onions.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5114924 05/16/14 12:10 AM
S
Stan Dalone Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I have been lucky enough to have many great memories hunting with my brother and 2 life long friends.
In 1989 hunting near Mercury Tx (east of Brownwood) on the neighbors property was a fox den. Every afternoon 4 young kittens came to visit their mother and would play. Just like clock work they showed up and were very entertaining to pass the time. One very slow afternoon I had been watching them to help pass the time and scanning the area for deer every few minutes. Had not seen any thing all day and was happy to have them help pass the time. They all stopped and made a run for the den. I checked the field and saw 2 deer, one young doe was being chased by a bruiser 8 point at 150 yards. I took aim, squeezed the trigger and click. They both whipped around looking my direction. I knew I had loaded the gun, so as quite as I could ejected and caught the dud and chambered another round as they they headed away from me. I had forgotten my calls in another stand so did my best bleet call. The buck stopped in his tracks as I took aim again. He was now 225 yards away as I squeezed the trigger again, dropping him where he stood.
Another year at a lease near Blanket, I was bow hunting during the Monarch butterfly migration. I was hunting in a tripod and for 3 days had cloud after cloud of butterflies pass by me. What a beautiful sight of God's creation to witness.
Years before my brother, my buddy John and my self were hunting public land and had drank a few too many beers. We had called it a night and went to sleep in the tent. In the early morning I woke to the sound of zipper repeatedly being worked. Opened my eyes to see John zipping the window back and forth. I asked him what he was doing he said he had to pee and could not get the door to open. I said dumb*** that is the window. He said OK and started back to working the zipper on the window again. I started laughing and had to go my self, at that point got up and unzipped the door as he pushed me out of the way and ran out. We still give him a hard time about that 30 years later.

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5115075 05/16/14 02:00 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have a lot of good hunting memories, but I will share this memory with you...my oldest son's first deer. I have taken my kids hunting with me since they were old enough to walk and be quiet when I told them to, & we have spent a lot of time at the range together. I have hunted on & guided hunts on some pretty awesome ranches but wasn't able to take my kids at that time or I was gone working somewhere when I could take them. Didn't get my son's first deer or his sister's first deer as early as I wanted to but, it is what it is. So, on with the story......
It was a crisp South Tx morning, there was frost on the ground and in the bushes with a little ice. Was glassing at first light, and admiring natures beauty. A few does came out, and we watched them. Deer hunting is normally pretty tuff on this place, I have made them/him pass every deer over & again. Always either a nice young buck that needs to walk, or does that need to walk because we don't have the numbers yet on this place to start culling does. Was again hoping for a shooter buck, or a cull. Out of the brush stepped a young long tined spike, after passing numerous 1 1/2 yr old 4 pointers I told my son to get ready. He took off into the brush and dissapeared. My son, on the ready, just put his head down again. I told him to stay ready. A minute or two later this spike came running back from the other direction towards the road. I told my son to take his safety off and as soon as he got to the road I was going to grunt at him (with my voice) to stop him & as soon as he stops pop him in the sweet spot behind the shoulder (he knew where to shoot). He was not ready for a neck or head shot
yet. As soon as the deer hit the road I grunted at him and he stopped at 50 yrds. As soon as he stopped my boy popped him right where I told him to. He jumped, kicked, and ran 30 yrds into the brush and crashed out of sight. I heard him crash but my boy didn't. "Dad did I get him, did I get him!!!!". I said it sure looks like you did son, LOL, be quiet & hold your horses. We'll give him 30 minutes and go look for blood. I swear, that was the longest 30 minutes of my life. I wanted that deer as bad as he did. Got down & found him pretty quick. He was grinning from ear to ear. One of the best days of my life. That spike (3 pointer) will always be a trophy for us, and he ate good..

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5115110 05/16/14 02:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: 10ring
Like others, most of my fondest memories come from days out hunting but my best memory by far is also the oldest. As a kid growing up in Colorado I used to beg my dad to take me elk hunting with the guys. Well as elk hunting was all business with no time to have a little one tagging along I stayed at home while dad and the "grown up's" were out. I remember like yesterday when he finally decided he would take me for the first "official" time when I was 9 years old. We started our hike way before daylight on what was a very difficult walk for me and dad showed uncharacteristic patience in helping me over trees and along rock slides until we reached a spot overlooking a small park surround by aspens and scattered pines. Dad said "I was sitting right here on this rock when I killed my first elk in 1963. I could see the excitement in his eyes as he described how the elk came out across the park and how the bull finally stepped out. He relived the shot and expanded how he shot the elk twice and where it fell like it had happened just the day before. We sat in silence for some time and watched the park. I happened to look down at my feet and to my amazement both of his spent brass were sitting by my boot! Almost 16 years later and they were still there! Obviously black and tarnished but still there none the less! As I picked them up you could see the shock in his face! He never knew it but I carried both of those pieces of brass with me on every hunt I ever went on from that day forward. When my dad passed away
I placed one of the pieces of brass in his coat pocket at the funeral. I still carry the other piece with me on every hut still to this day. When I want to visit my dad I make my way back to that rock overlooking the park and sit with him...

HnF "really" likes this one! up

cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5115202 05/16/14 03:32 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Will share one more....my daughters first deer.....
So after doing a number of things (improvements) on this place we finally started seeing more does. Still, during the entire deer season I made my daughter pass on good looking young bucks & does in hopes of catching one of the big boys that have been seen on occasion. Never did see a cull buck when she was with me frown So, I decided in January that she was going to take a doe, period. On with the story.....
It was another cool morning and a group of 6 does came to the road on their way to the feeder. Picked out the biggest doe of the bunch & as soon as we had a clear broadside shot I gave the order to shoot. This girl, hunt, after hunt, after hunt, begged me to let her shoot a doe but my answer was always no...we need to wait. Finally, I gave her the thumbs up and she was all smiles....75 yrds and a double lung shot. Deer ran out of sight....my daughters eyes swelled up with tears. "Dad, did I miss? Did I make a bad shot, she didn't fall." I told her, "I don't know yet Sis but looks like you hit her good. Chill out & take a deep breath, if you hit her where I told you too she's not going to drop, but she won't go far." Gave her about 30 minutes then got down. She was right by my side and showed her the tracks, drag marks leaving the road. She learned the difference between regular running deer tracks and a wounded deer running tracks. She learned what lung blood looks like, the pink spray that covered cactus, brush, tree limbs, & grass with every breath the deer takes. Her doe went about 50 yrds, I spotted her dead under a huisache but didn't say anything. I put her in front of me and told her to follow that blood trail & find your deer. I got scared for a second thinking that I hugged her too hard when she saw her, heard something pop. To me, this is what life is all about. Good times....

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5115244 05/16/14 04:56 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
When I was twelve or thirteen I would tag along coon hunting with Clyde, a retired gentleman who was a good friend to my deceased father. We would head out a little before sundown and most times be back home a little after midnight. On one occasion we hunted a place just outside of Blum, Tx. We let the dogs out and they immediately struck a hot trail and head northwest up the main creek toward Hwy 174.

Me and a buddy Bob who came with us followed the dogs as they trailed the game up the main creek. The hounds made this huge circle, crossing over a bluff and doubled back down a tributary, back towards the direction they came. Clyde was waiting on the dirt road above where we let out to catch them as they crossed. Well, the plan fell apart as the hounds were only 5 seconds behind the lion as he crossed the road. Me and Bob were maybe 10 minutes behind the dogs. I can remember Clyde yelling me to hurry up if I didn't want to stay there all night. I remember it like it was yesterday him say "Geer if you don't want to stay here all night you'd better go get them hounds before they cross the river". When we made it back to the truck I ask Clyde what crossed the road and he replied all he saw was a long tail.

Well, needless to say, we didn't catch up to the dogs until they they finally treed on the other side of the Nolan river about 5 hours later. That cottonwood tree they ran that lion up must have been 8 feet in diameter. It was so big my boot would fit between the bark. The only thing we could see of that lion was about 8" of his tail draping off the side of a huge limb it was laying on. Bob and I leashed the hounds and started walking back to the truck just before sunrise. There was a moderate fog in the air as we walked out of the river bottom onto a winter wheat field. Clyde having stayed at the truck listening to the race made his way toward us as morning appeared. He caught up to us as we were entering that wheat field. I never will forget his image of him wearing his fedora and canvas hunting vest walking along with his cane through the fog. I think of Clyde often and most time when I do, I remember that night we treed the Blum Lion.

Technology is a wonderful thing. Here is the track we took that night back in 75'

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5115712 05/16/14 05:25 PM
A
assassin0286 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Great stories yall! Thanks for sharing!

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5116170 05/17/14 12:59 AM
B
batman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
When my son was about 11, I took him to Highlonesome's place for a deer hunt. We sat one afternoon overlooking a water trough. We sat on a the fence line, planning to use the wire for a rest. I noticed a small buck south of us, so we stood up and got next to a big cedar bush. Before my son could get in position, I looked a few feet away at where we were sitting and there was a good 10 point walking down the fence line. I looked because the small buck looked that way. We waited til he passed, then sat back down and my son stuck his gun back through the fence and shot the 10. I'm not sure what would have happened had we not moved, since the buck would have bumped into his gun barrel sticking through the fence:). High winds kept the buck from noticing us standing next to the cedar bush. That, my friends, was a great hunt!

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5117119 05/18/14 03:04 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
The most memorable happened in Callahan County over 15 years ago near Table Rock. My 10 year old son and I were in a small 10 acre pasture surrounded by the hills where the bucks would bed down. Nearing dark thirty. Both know it is time to be sharp. Fog begins to roll down out of the hills so we are scoping everything. Son has the .270 for the first time on a hunt, although he has shot it at the rifle range. About 10 to 6, a nice buck, I mean a trophy 10 on our place can be seen jumping the fence and heading into the field. We had corned the middle of the field to get us a possible 150 yard shot. Well that big old buck slowly walked through the fog and began to eat that corn pile. Son, you got him in your sight? Yes sir. Well when he quarters away you know what to do. Breathe, squeeze. And then boom. That old monster dropped right there. I told son, chamber and hold on him just in case. By that time the fog was making things difficult to see. Son said I can't scope him now. With my binocs I could see that buck was about to get up and urged him to find him in the scope. Alas, too dark and foggy. I watched that buck get up and walk slowly out of the field to the thick stuff. A four hour search showed absolutely no blood. The next spring we found his sheds. He had a bullet crease at the base, must of knocked him silly for a few minutes. Son shot a bit high in his fever. Good news is his little brother tagged him the next year in the same field at 275 yards. Now we have a mount and some sheds to carry on the story.

I wrote a poem for the boy called the "grey ghost", and had it framed with the spent cartridge. It sits next to the sheds.

Last edited by Halfadozen; 05/18/14 03:08 AM.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5118612 05/19/14 04:48 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I took my Dad turkey hunting for his first time. We had a lease in Llano and I'd put to bed a flock of turkeys the night before.
We set up on them the next morning and I had Dad prone about 30 yards in front of me with a decoy slightly to his left front. I started calling and managed to bring a nice 8" or so bird right to the decoy. I saw Dad stiffen up slightly and figured he was getting ready to lower the boom. Nothing. No shot, nothing.

Finally, the bird got bored and wandered off. Once he was out of sight I got up and asked Dad why he didn't shoot the turkey when it was 20 yards away. He hadn't moved. He just said "Would you see if that rattlesnake is still there between my legs?" There wasn't anything there and told him so. He got up and told me he felt something bump his leg about the time the turkey got there. He'd looked back and saw the rattle of the snake as it was moving over his leg. He didn't feel it go over the other leg and thought it had coiled up between his legs. He said "I was afraid to shoot because I thought the snake would bite my on my b**t!"

One of many great hunts I had with my Dad. Rest in Peace Dad. Semper Fi.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5122983 05/22/14 04:15 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Bump. Keep em' coming!

Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49] #5124146 05/23/14 04:58 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Gosh, where to start. OK, here goes. My Son and I were hunting LBJ grasslands about '89. I walked him to an area I had previously scouted. He climbed a tree with his single shot Harrington and Richardson 12 gauge, with a slug. I was whithin sight of him. Right before dark he shoots. All I can hear is him calling me, Dad, Dad, I got one. He shot a spike. Later when we got back to camp, we hoisted him up in a big postoak. It was extremely windy that night. We awoke to discover the tag had not been properly secured, either that, or one of our fellow campers tried to set us up. We loaded up WITHOUT our proper tags.....I believe the statute of limitations has run it's course on this particular case smirk

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide