6246575 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5111747 - 05/13/14 01:37 PM List a great hunting memory
Elkhunter49 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
Seems like forum is kind of slow here lately so I thought I'd try and start a topic that might generate some interesting reading! Think about a memory from a hunting trip that pops into your head year after year, I'll lead off.
I was Elk hunting in the early 1980's North of Creede Colorado in unit 76. This was before the point system required that you have a lifetime of points to hunt 76. My buddy and I were camped above timberline on the south face of Baldy Cinco which is currently about the northern limit of 76. It was cold for September and the bulls were really screaming at each other. The memory that jumps into my head time and time again is of both us laying awake all night unable to sleep because of the seemingly never ending sound of the bulls talking trash to each other literally all night. They would bugle,chuckle and scream at one another until all you could hear were horns clashing and the sound of rocks flying and brush breaking. The cows were mewing all night as well and several times they were so close that we stuck our heads out the tent and the full moon was so bright you could almost count the points on the bulls. I killed a nice 6x6 as did my buddy. Great memories, Baker

Edited by elkhunter49 (05/13/14 04:55 PM)

#5111790 - 05/13/14 02:24 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
TxAg Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
Great story, and good idea Baker.

Here's mine, what I call the "2nd Chance Bull".

New Mexico, Unit 5a, November 2012. I was hunting some familiar ground, looking for a good bull on a DIY hunt. It had been a fun trip so far, seeing elk every day. But so far, all I'd seen were cows and young bulls. Late on the afternoon of the 3rd day I decided to go scout an area I hadn't hunted yet. Rounding a bend, I found a little tank that still held water in it when nearly the entire rest of the country was dry. Walking further, I found a trail leading up to a protected little valley meadow full of good grass. The trail between the two was like a highway, and lo and behold there were fresh bull tracks on it. I backed out and made a plan for the next morning.

By that time of year the bulls don't stay in the open much after daylight. Therefore, the very first crack of legal light found me slowly stalking that trail. There were two cows at the tank, a good sign. As I moved on toward the meadow my senses were fully alive, trying to catch sound or sight of a bull before he saw me. As often happens, it didn't work out that way. I rounded the bend into the meadow, and in a split second I saw a big, mature bull and he saw me. He did not stand around to look, but trotted off into the timber. Cursing myself for moving too fast and being an idiot, I dropped to one knee, backed into the brush, and hit my cow call. Within 30 seconds I was shocked to see two bulls pop out on top of a high ridge about 210 yards away. The first bull kept going, but the second paused a second to look over the valley and find this lost cow. That was all I needed. I already had the rifle up and my scope on the bull. I did my best to control my breathing and my racing heart. Then, with the rising sun back-lighting the bull in an amazing scene, I touched off the .338 Win Mag. The bull dropped in his tracks, right there on top of the ridge. He would turn out to be the 6x6 in my sig line below, my best elk yet, my 2nd Chance bull.

Edited by TxAg (05/13/14 02:27 PM)

#5111798 - 05/13/14 02:29 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Mine is the last hunt I did with my Dad that I did a thread about on here.

#5111805 - 05/13/14 02:33 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
An 8pt buck I shot my second year hunting. I lost my first deer due to poor shot placement, found blood look for a while and never found him(other hunters saw him later in the season). I wont blame it all on the gun because I was pretty excited, but after taking it to the range it was off by both my shooting and dads shooting and at that point the old 30 carbine was retired from hunting. Fast forward to the next season I was with dad and shot an 8pt buck at about 70 yards with dads Rem 700 mtn rifle in 280. Shot felt good was behind the shoulder, deer took off fell down after about ten yards got right back up and into some really thick brush. We waited a bit and climbed down.

We didn't find any blood at all no hair or anything. Started looking along the trails and couldn't find anything, me and dad split up, after a bit I stumbled on an old dear skeleton and it gave me doubts I was pretty upset and thought I had lost another deer... then I herd dad yell my name and I came running. Dad found him about 25 yards from where I shot him crawled up way under a big cedar tree. Mind you the brush was so thick on this place you couldn't walk through most of it, think crawling. Only blood we found was one spot underneath the deer where we found him. Was one of my happiest hunting memories.

#5111807 - 05/13/14 02:34 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: stxranchman]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Mine is the last hunt I did with my Dad that I did a thread about on here.

I enjoyed following yal and no sho.

I still love sitting with my brother and dad, need to do it more often!

#5111845 - 05/13/14 03:12 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: redchevy]
10pointdoe Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: austin,tx
11. No jokes of a sexual nature – just don’t post them. We know some are funny, but there are children that browse our forum and we want to set a positive example.

First warning.

#5111889 - 05/13/14 03:54 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
texasdude28 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Clairette
2012 duck season, my Dad came down to visit and we had a 3 generation duck hunt. Don't know how many more of those I will have.

#5111899 - 05/13/14 04:01 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

I have a few but the ones that always seem to pop in my head is my first kill.. a doe...just me and my dad in camp that weekend, I remember the little talk he gave me that morning telling me he didn't care if I shot something or not, he was just having fun being in the woods with me and it was up to me if I wanted to shoot or not...I was 7...then the other is of me taking my best friend deer hunting and him getting his first deer ever....how he was afraid to clean it after wards....so much fun, ive never laughed so hard....He passed away almost 13 years ago now...

#5111901 - 05/13/14 04:01 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: 10pointdoe]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

x2

#5111946 - 05/13/14 04:30 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DALLAS TEXAS
All hunts are great to me and I can't think of one that stands out above the rest (I'm sure there is one)

But as a kid we had a small private lake we went to, I used to get to take the 22 and walk around the lake shooting bull frogs. When I got a minna bucket full we'd fry up a mess of fish and frog legs! That was the good ole day for me !!!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.

#5111947 - 05/13/14 04:31 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
DirtNapTET Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: America
This past hunting season, Thanksgiving Weekend.

Have a buddy who has about 1000 acres in East Texas, the place has some really good bucks, so me and my dad were stoked to get out there during their rut. Only problem was my mom's birthday is Nov 30th, and my dad said he would have to stay back. My mom had never shot a deer, So of course I asked my mom if she would go hunting with me and she could shoot a doe if we were given the opportunity.

The first morning me and my mom set up in a ground blind of a big grazing pasture and a recently cut pipeline. Had a few doe cross the pipeline early, but my mom wasnt able to find them in her scope. She was super upset with herself, so I suggested we get out and see if we cant spot some deer on the other side of the pasture across the rise. We had already agreed that if we saw a buck I'd shoot, and a doe my mom would shoot.

Soon as we came over the rise, there was a wide 8 point about 200 yds out. Long story short, he should be back from the taxi in the next month or so.

That afternoon, we headed out to another pasture to get her that doe. Didnt see any deer, but right at dusk, a group of about 20 pigs came out of the opposite side and started feeding. Crept up with in about 200 yards, laid down on our bellies, and did a '1,2,3 Shoot.' We both dropped ours, and I was able to get 2 more on the run.

The next morning, my mom finally got her doe. Needless to say she was hooked, and I had found my new huntin buddy/lucky charm. Some of the best hunting memories I've ever had were made that weekend...

#5111970 - 05/13/14 04:50 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
Elkhunter49 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
Great stories folks, thanks for playing! Hunting has always had a special place in my heart. I started hunting on the Middle Concho river east of San Angelo where I grew up. I'm not sure how old I was but I was in the 8/9 range.

Keep em coming!

Edited by elkhunter49 (05/13/14 04:50 PM)

#5111995 - 05/13/14 05:13 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
68A Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Texas
Squirrel hunting with my dad when I was youngin. Couldnt sit still for more than 5 minutes, freezing my butt off and hated shooting that single shot shotgun, but I loved walking the woods with him just hanging out and learning things. We would always have the squirrels we killed for dinner at camp. We had a spot up around Pat Mayse lake, that was years ago. Since then, weve hunted all over Texas together and even in Colorado in a couple feet of snow, but those memories of just being with my dad camping and shooting tree rats is some of the best memories I have.

#5112052 - 05/13/14 06:06 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: Elkhunter49]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Christmas Day 1974. My brother Eric and I had both asked for shot guns hoping that 11 and 12 was finally old enough to have guns of our own… and Santa didn't disappoint. We both unwrapped 20 gauge single shots and a box of shells. We immediately begged dad to take us to the pasture to shoot, and he obliged. He created his own version of a moving target by putting cardboard into an old tire, and rolling in down an incline at different yardages and speeds. His thoughts were it would be a good way to teach us how to lead a running rabbit, which was our most likely quarry.

After we both got pretty consistent knocking down the tire, and one more safety lecture on firearms, Dad cut us loose all on our own to walk through grandpa’s back section in search of pesky jack rabbits. But on the way we decided to swing by the stock tank to see if any ducks were home. From a distance we spied ripples on the water and put an “Indian sneak” on the tank. As we were approaching I told my brother to take the first duck to jump, and I’d take the 2nd. The plan came off to perfection when a hen and drake mallard took off. Both ducks folded and fell within feet of each other. At that point two hunters were born, and we've been bagging game together ever since.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#5112058 - 05/13/14 06:11 PM Re: List a great hunting memory [Re: 68A]
KG68 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Goldthwaite,Tx
So many great memories. Fifties, Sixties and seventies hunting with my Dad and little brother, late seventies, eighties, and nineties, hunting with my two sons and daughter. In the nineties my wife took over the shooting and got excited about hunting and still does today. Ten grandkids now and the oldest is 9 so I've got lots of fun times left. Don't get no better. banana2

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide