Forums46
Topics538,022
Posts9,731,932
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5833834 07/16/15 07:42 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I like shooting them probably more than eating them.

Duck is a meat that needs to be cooked the right way or you'll end up with a tough and livery taste.

My favorite way to eat duck:

Roasted with red currant sauce and fried hominy

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5833925 07/16/15 12:17 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Dang it man!!! That looks awesome!

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: beaversnipe] #5833934 07/16/15 12:29 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Seems like it would over cook them but clearly it does not. I've never even used a pressure cooker...is it like a double pot...with the first pot holding water and the second one the actual food?

A pressure cooker is simply a pot where the lid screws on, and there is a valve on the top that releases steam so it does not blow up. They are dangerous, and you never want to open one while steam is coming out the valve. I did that once many years ago, food all over the kitchen and I'm glad I had a good grip on the top.

The only way you can over cook it is that you cook it so long it goes so tender it falls all apart. Pretty hard to do I think. If you run out of moisture it will burn, need to watch for that. I would cook in 10 to 15 minute increments and check on it. The 7th pic from the top was after about 10 minutes, and then I added the mushrooms (which produces moisture), and cooked for another 15 minutes and that is the other pics I posted, I cooked for about another 10 to 15 minutes, and there were pretty tender then. And the next day I cooked them some more on the stove (4/6 pic), and I had to really be careful and not stir with a spoon or it would have fallen apart.

All night on the crock pot would be another good way to cook them, I have never tried... Here is another time I cooked them, ladled over a rib eye steak..

Winner!

I will give you props on the recipe. But I won't call you a cook until you learn how to cook a diver duck. I have heard a whole lot about divers this and divers that. The redheads I boiled for gumbo last year were delicious. I boiled them to make a stock and to peel the meat off of the carcass. The taste test is my wife. If she eats it your doing OK. If she says Ummmmm and goes back for more, you just won the cooking lottery. She said Ummm to the meat I was pulling off of the bone from the redheads we shot at the coast. We all joke around about ducks tasting this or that. We all know teal are top of the charts and spoonies are barf of the chart. Laying all the Bs aside, if you cook it right then it will be right.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5833946 07/16/15 12:35 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Guy I am a traditionalist so far as cooking. The mountain has to come to Mohammed before I change my ways. I have cooked ribeys traditionally forever. Well the mountain came to Mohammed and I started a new way. Seasoned the same way as always, in the oven at 225 degrees until rare. Take it out of the oven and set it on the counter covered and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Take it to a mesquite grill that has flames coming up through the grate. Throw it in the fire until the black crust starts to appear, flip it and crust that side. Take it off dredge it through salted butter and serve. You will never go back!!!!

Several reasons it is best: You have a crust and the entire steak through and through at your desired level of finish. Meaning if you have a rare steak, it is rare all the way through, not just a little strip in the center is rare and the closer you get to the outside it is well done because of heat penetration. The other part is resting the meat. Resting is one of the single most important functions in cooking a steak.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: beaversnipe] #5834092 07/16/15 01:58 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Seems like it would over cook them but clearly it does not. I've never even used a pressure cooker...is it like a double pot...with the first pot holding water and the second one the actual food?

A pressure cooker is simply a pot where the lid screws on, and there is a valve on the top that releases steam so it does not blow up. They are dangerous, and you never want to open one while steam is coming out the valve. I did that once many years ago, food all over the kitchen and I'm glad I had a good grip on the top.

The only way you can over cook it is that you cook it so long it goes so tender it falls all apart. Pretty hard to do I think. If you run out of moisture it will burn, need to watch for that. I would cook in 10 to 15 minute increments and check on it. The 7th pic from the top was after about 10 minutes, and then I added the mushrooms (which produces moisture), and cooked for another 15 minutes and that is the other pics I posted, I cooked for about another 10 to 15 minutes, and there were pretty tender then. And the next day I cooked them some more on the stove (4/6 pic), and I had to really be careful and not stir with a spoon or it would have fallen apart.

All night on the crock pot would be another good way to cook them, I have never tried... Here is another time I cooked them, ladled over a rib eye steak..

Winner!

Maybe so, but I think we need to dock some point for not having that over rice. food

[Linked Image]
Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5834122 07/16/15 02:23 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hopedale I grew up thinking over rice was one word, "overice".

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5834478 07/16/15 05:48 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One thing I've found that helps is aging in the fridge for a few days.

Set in covered tupperware with papertowls.

Rub butter and salt all over the plucked bird then roast in cast iron skillet as hot as your oven or grill can get around 600 for about 15-18 minutes. If you can get the skin crisp and the meat medium rare your golden! If the skin doesn't crisp it's chewy and not that good. If you over do it the meat tastes gamey.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5839586 07/20/15 04:59 PM
G
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I usually do duck legs in the crock pot to cook them until tender. Seasoned with a bottle of bbq sauce and they are perfect after a few hours on low. I am definitely going to sear them first from now on though.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: wal1809] #5839639 07/20/15 05:32 PM
M
muddyz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Guy I am a traditionalist so far as cooking. The mountain has to come to Mohammed before I change my ways. I have cooked ribeys traditionally forever. Well the mountain came to Mohammed and I started a new way. Seasoned the same way as always, in the oven at 225 degrees until rare. Take it out of the oven and set it on the counter covered and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Take it to a mesquite grill that has flames coming up through the grate. Throw it in the fire until the black crust starts to appear, flip it and crust that side. Take it off dredge it through salted butter and serve. You will never go back!!!!

Several reasons it is best: You have a crust and the entire steak through and through at your desired level of finish. Meaning if you have a rare steak, it is rare all the way through, not just a little strip in the center is rare and the closer you get to the outside it is well done because of heat penetration. The other part is resting the meat. Resting is one of the single most important functions in cooking a steak.

This is called the "reverse sear". Most people do the opposite, they throw it on a fire hot grill for the first few minutes to try to lock in the juice and flavor and then cool it down to finishe cooking the steak. But what you found is exactly why the revese method is better.

By resting the steak you let the juices move from the edge where the heat is back througout the whole piece of meat.

Can't beat the reverse sear.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Hopedale] #5840042 07/20/15 09:43 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wayne I cook redheads like any other puddle duck. It's the ringers I do not like, I cooked them jerky style once and they were good.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5842788 07/22/15 03:08 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Wayne I cook redheads like any other puddle duck. It's the ringers I do not like, I cooked them jerky style once and they were good.

Well when you come to the coast we are going to have to cook a few. You are putting in for this hunt right???

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5842895 07/22/15 04:09 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
you guys must be living on hard times eating ringers! cyclo

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: BarneyWho] #5843115 07/22/15 06:26 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
you guys must be living on hard times eating ringers! cyclo

Come on now, a guy that hunts duck like you hunt ducks is bound to know how to cook a ringer.

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: Guy] #5843152 07/22/15 06:49 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I don't shoot them unless they showboat.

#sigline
Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: #Hayraker] #5843328 07/22/15 08:50 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
I don't shoot them unless they showboat.

roflmao clap roflmao

Re: Only one thing is better than shooting ducks... [Re: wal1809] #5843335 07/22/15 08:56 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Well when you come to the coast we are going to have to cook a few. You are putting in for this hunt right???

Im planning on going, but not game planning until my son gets back in town and see if he can go or not. But I'm planning on going regardless if he goes or not.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide