Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Eartag buck-where from? #5007166 03/06/14 12:18 AM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
This guy showed up last November and has hung around ever since. This is low fence, Juno, Val Verde County, TX. I've been told TPWD transplanted some deer to the area from San Antonio/Austin city limits, and that is probably where he came from. This is the best pic I have of his eartag and I can't see any text on it. I'm sure the color and or style/type of eartag means something to someone, and I'm wondering if anyone here would know who that is, or might already know something about it. Thanks!

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5007192 03/06/14 12:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If it is a pen raised deer he might have a unique # on the tag along with other numbers. If you can read the unique # the deer can be traced thru the TPWD deer breeders office as to where he was born and what ranch he was released at. If he was a TTT deer then he might have an identification # only on the tag which will tell you not much. Either way the deer will have a tatoo in his ear if he was pen raised or TTT moved.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5007202 03/06/14 12:36 AM
A
artrios60 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Not the normal eartags I am accustom to seeing. Most breeders will have a tag in each ear with a legible number/s that should be easily be dicernable at this distance from camera.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5007270 03/06/14 01:15 AM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Her is another picture of the tag from the back side. No markings on the tag at all from what I can tell. I haven't gotten many from the front, so there may be something there that I can't see, but I think the first picture is clear enough to tell there is nothing there.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5007420 03/06/14 02:33 AM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
That's pretty cool !! He'll be easy to keep up with from year to year . On our lease In Mexico this year one of our guys shot a 155 B/C buck with a ear tag . But it just had a # stamp on the front like a cow tag.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5008503 03/06/14 08:23 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
MEXICOHUNTER- You're right. He will be easy to keep up with, and he's off-limits for at least three years. He does look a little different than the native deer, and I'm anxious to see what he does next year!

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009028 03/07/14 02:22 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
MEXICOHUNTER- You're right. He will be easy to keep up with, and he's off-limits for at least three years. He does look a little different than the native deer, and I'm anxious to see what he does next year!

FYI, if he is 3 years old and still an 8 point...no use in feeding him any longer unless you just want to grow a big 8 point.

If he came from San Antonio he probably came from Hill Country Village or Hollywood park

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85] #5009080 03/07/14 02:53 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

FYI, if he is 3 years old and still an 8 point...no use in feeding him any longer unless you just want to grow a big 8 point.

If he came from San Antonio he probably came from Hill Country Village or Hollywood park

That's non-sense.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5009112 03/07/14 03:16 AM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

That's non-sense.

I was figuring him at 2.5, maybe 3.5, but anyways, he's got a nice frame to him, and I don't care if he only ends up with 8 points. He has a frame to be a very respectable deer at maturity.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5009115 03/07/14 03:16 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

That's non-sense.

which part?

just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is anything special.

there is no use in saving him if all he is gonna be is an 8 point and letting him eat your feed and breed your does unless you want to shoot a big 8 point.

I understand if its low fence taking him out isn't going to affect the genetics of the ranch

we had a ranch we hunted on where the owner brought in a bunch of TTT does, there was 1 forkhorn that got caught in the mix. everyone was all excited thinking he was gonna be some great deer and 3 years later as a 4 year old all he was, was a 120" eight point. he ate feed for 3 years just to grow to the size of the native deer already on the ranch

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009121 03/07/14 03:20 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
3.5 8pt will always be an 8pt part

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5009130 03/07/14 03:24 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I'm of the mindset (not saying its accurate 100% of the time) that if a deer isn't trying to grow 10 points by the time he is 3 that is isn't going to grow into a super buck.

experience has shown me they might sprout a 9th point or grow some kickers and other trash but they are still mainframe 8's or 9's. again, I'm sure there are examples that prove otherwise but by and large most biologists would agree with that statement.

that deer is 2 1'2 so in 2 years he is going to show his hand. if he wasn't showing me something good by 3 I would shoot him, but that's me

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85] #5009132 03/07/14 03:25 AM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J

That's non-sense.

which part?

just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is anything special.

there is no use in saving him if all he is gonna be is an 8 point and letting him eat your feed and breed your does unless you want to shoot a big 8 point.

I understand if its low fence taking him out isn't going to affect the genetics of the ranch

we had a ranch we hunted on where the owner brought in a bunch of TTT does, there was 1 forkhorn that got caught in the mix. everyone was all excited thinking he was gonna be some great deer and 3 years later as a 4 year old all he was, was a 120" eight point. he ate feed for 3 years just to grow to the size of the native deer already on the ranch

We will find out in about 5 or 6 months. I really think he's 2.5 and I bet he grows at least another point next year. Especially now that he's on the protein erry day.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009133 03/07/14 03:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
he might make a big jump, you never know.

with good rains and good feed he might make a giant leap

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009160 03/07/14 03:42 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
High fence escapee?

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009191 03/07/14 03:58 AM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Well the fact of the matter is how many bucks on a low fence ranch do you for sure get to watch grow up ? What iam saying is how many times have you seen a nice looking young buck one year and then you don't see him next year and then a year or two later you see one that kinda looks like the one you remember but your not sure if that's him not .
Well that guy will be easy to pick out . And hes also the easiest deer to protect .And I just think it will be cool to see what he turns out to be on a low fence ranch cause while he may not be a monster but I'd bet there's alot of young bucks just like him that get a pass that no one really 100% for sure knows how they turned out .

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009192 03/07/14 03:58 AM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
BANG !!!!

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009275 03/07/14 05:19 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
One of the bucks we took in Mexico had a tag too this year.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85] #5009619 03/07/14 03:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I'm of the mindset (not saying its accurate 100% of the time) that if a deer isn't trying to grow 10 points by the time he is 3 that is isn't going to grow into a super buck.

experience has shown me they might sprout a 9th point or grow some kickers and other trash but they are still mainframe 8's or 9's. again, I'm sure there are examples that prove otherwise but by and large most biologists would agree with that statement.

that deer is 2 1'2 so in 2 years he is going to show his hand. if he wasn't showing me something good by 3 I would shoot him, but that's me

How money do you want to loose on this one? popcorn

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009626 03/07/14 03:13 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
No matter what, it will be a few months before you have to make the decision to leave him or to take him out. He will be easy to keep up with and tell how he progressed or regressed with that yellow tag in his ear.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: stxranchman] #5009663 03/07/14 03:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I'm sure you have an example to contribute this so post it up

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: MEXICOHUNTER70] #5009669 03/07/14 03:38 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
Well the fact of the matter is how many bucks on a low fence ranch do you for sure get to watch grow up ? What iam saying is how many times have you seen a nice looking young buck one year and then you don't see him next year and then a year or two later you see one that kinda looks like the one you remember but your not sure if that's him not .
Well that guy will be easy to pick out . And hes also the easiest deer to protect .And I just think it will be cool to see what he turns out to be on a low fence ranch cause while he may not be a monster but I'd bet there's alot of young bucks just like him that get a pass that no one really 100% for sure knows how they turned out .

x2

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland] #5009671 03/07/14 03:40 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Thank you for posting. I, for one, would love to see pics of his progression, or lack thereof if that's the case, posted here for all of us to see over the next 2-3years.

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: MEXICOHUNTER70] #5009677 03/07/14 03:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

He may not stick around. He wandered in he may wander out.

You never know

Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85] #5009769 03/07/14 04:25 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I'm sure you have an example(s) to contribute this so post it up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide