Forum Stats
60466 Members
45 Forums
476072 Topics
6245086 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5007166 - 03/05/14 06:18 PM Eartag buck-where from?
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hunt in Juno, TX
This guy showed up last November and has hung around ever since. This is low fence, Juno, Val Verde County, TX. I've been told TPWD transplanted some deer to the area from San Antonio/Austin city limits, and that is probably where he came from. This is the best pic I have of his eartag and I can't see any text on it. I'm sure the color and or style/type of eartag means something to someone, and I'm wondering if anyone here would know who that is, or might already know something about it. Thanks!

#5007192 - 03/05/14 06:32 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

If it is a pen raised deer he might have a unique # on the tag along with other numbers. If you can read the unique # the deer can be traced thru the TPWD deer breeders office as to where he was born and what ranch he was released at. If he was a TTT deer then he might have an identification # only on the tag which will tell you not much. Either way the deer will have a tatoo in his ear if he was pen raised or TTT moved.

#5007202 - 03/05/14 06:36 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
artrios60 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Coleman Co.
Not the normal eartags I am accustom to seeing. Most breeders will have a tag in each ear with a legible number/s that should be easily be dicernable at this distance from camera.

#5007270 - 03/05/14 07:15 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Her is another picture of the tag from the back side. No markings on the tag at all from what I can tell. I haven't gotten many from the front, so there may be something there that I can't see, but I think the first picture is clear enough to tell there is nothing there.

#5007420 - 03/05/14 08:33 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
MEXICOHUNTER70 Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: central TX
That's pretty cool !! He'll be easy to keep up with from year to year . On our lease In Mexico this year one of our guys shot a 155 B/C buck with a ear tag . But it just had a # stamp on the front like a cow tag.

#5008503 - 03/06/14 02:23 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

MEXICOHUNTER- You're right. He will be easy to keep up with, and he's off-limits for at least three years. He does look a little different than the native deer, and I'm anxious to see what he does next year!

#5009028 - 03/06/14 08:22 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
MEXICOHUNTER- You're right. He will be easy to keep up with, and he's off-limits for at least three years. He does look a little different than the native deer, and I'm anxious to see what he does next year!

FYI, if he is 3 years old and still an 8 point...no use in feeding him any longer unless you just want to grow a big 8 point.

If he came from San Antonio he probably came from Hill Country Village or Hollywood park

#5009080 - 03/06/14 08:53 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

FYI, if he is 3 years old and still an 8 point...no use in feeding him any longer unless you just want to grow a big 8 point.

If he came from San Antonio he probably came from Hill Country Village or Hollywood park

That's non-sense.

#5009112 - 03/06/14 09:16 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

That's non-sense.

I was figuring him at 2.5, maybe 3.5, but anyways, he's got a nice frame to him, and I don't care if he only ends up with 8 points. He has a frame to be a very respectable deer at maturity.

#5009115 - 03/06/14 09:16 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

That's non-sense.

which part?

just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is anything special.

there is no use in saving him if all he is gonna be is an 8 point and letting him eat your feed and breed your does unless you want to shoot a big 8 point.

I understand if its low fence taking him out isn't going to affect the genetics of the ranch

we had a ranch we hunted on where the owner brought in a bunch of TTT does, there was 1 forkhorn that got caught in the mix. everyone was all excited thinking he was gonna be some great deer and 3 years later as a 4 year old all he was, was a 120" eight point. he ate feed for 3 years just to grow to the size of the native deer already on the ranch

#5009121 - 03/06/14 09:20 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
3.5 8pt will always be an 8pt part

#5009130 - 03/06/14 09:24 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

3.5 8pt will always be an 8pt part

I'm of the mindset (not saying its accurate 100% of the time) that if a deer isn't trying to grow 10 points by the time he is 3 that is isn't going to grow into a super buck.

experience has shown me they might sprout a 9th point or grow some kickers and other trash but they are still mainframe 8's or 9's. again, I'm sure there are examples that prove otherwise but by and large most biologists would agree with that statement.

that deer is 2 1'2 so in 2 years he is going to show his hand. if he wasn't showing me something good by 3 I would shoot him, but that's me

#5009132 - 03/06/14 09:25 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: txtrophy85]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

That's non-sense.

which part?

just because he is tagged doesn't mean he is anything special.

there is no use in saving him if all he is gonna be is an 8 point and letting him eat your feed and breed your does unless you want to shoot a big 8 point.

I understand if its low fence taking him out isn't going to affect the genetics of the ranch

we had a ranch we hunted on where the owner brought in a bunch of TTT does, there was 1 forkhorn that got caught in the mix. everyone was all excited thinking he was gonna be some great deer and 3 years later as a 4 year old all he was, was a 120" eight point. he ate feed for 3 years just to grow to the size of the native deer already on the ranch

We will find out in about 5 or 6 months. I really think he's 2.5 and I bet he grows at least another point next year. Especially now that he's on the protein erry day.

#5009133 - 03/06/14 09:26 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

he might make a big jump, you never know.

with good rains and good feed he might make a giant leap

#5009160 - 03/06/14 09:42 PM Re: Eartag buck-where from? [Re: JHeflinland]
Simple Searcher Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
High fence escapee?

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide