Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4995851 - 02/27/14 10:25 AM Gray Ghost Outfitters
BudTexas Offline
Green Horn

Loc: Texas
Good morning everyone,

I am new to this site and hope I am making my first post in the right area, if not, I am sorry. I am looking for information concerning Gray Ghost Outfitters in Maydelle, Texas managed by Hugh Byrd. I have friends who are thinking of joining a lease by Mr. Byrd and I have been asked to join them. I am the type who likes to do research before actually making any kind of committment. Does anyone know anything about Gray Ghost Outfitters managed by Hugh Byrd?. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

#4996040 - 02/27/14 11:30 AM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Nacogdoches, Tx
I know about it...I was on one of his leases for five years and I don't think you are going it enjoy the experience. I know if you go to TexasBowhunter.com you will get lots of feed back. I haven't been on his lease in about six or seven years so things might have changed but a leopard doesn't generally change his spots. I was on his Mt. Hope lease. He is going to overcharge you for a spot to start out with, he will charge you if you ask him to do anything for you, and unless he has changed this he will try to charge you for doe tags. I used to know the game warden for Cherokee county and he and I had exchanged info about him. He has been caught with untagged deer in his truck. He hunts the lease but doesn't pay anything. When I got on it we were under LAMPS and two years later we went to MLD III for a year or two the dropped back to MLD I. He was double dipping on the doe permits getting both LAMPS and MLD and was trying to get lease members to pay $50 each for them. Right before I got off there were some members that believed, but couldn't prove it, that he was day leasing during the week and hunting those folks out of the community stands. The first year I was on it we were a club with eight members all paying $1000 each. Beginning the third year I was on it he dissolved the club and started adding members. Everyone paid a different dollar amount- by the time I left he was jumping my lease amount to $1800. The first year he started doing this I was told by his hired hand that he personally pocketed $30,000 after paying Campbell for the lease. It was 1800 acres and by now he might be paying $7.50/acre for the lease. My advice to you is put your hand on your wallet and run away.

#4996053 - 02/27/14 11:36 AM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

If you do tour the Mt. Hope lease, take a look at all the RealBark stands that are out there. They were all paid for by former "club" members. When I got on, to join the club you had to buy a RealBark stand for the club that belonged to the club but it was yours to hunt out of as long as you were in the club. If you left the club the stand stayed. When I bought mine it cost around $1500. When he dissolved the club and made it just a lease, nobody had to buy the stand to get on. When I left the club I asked to take my stand since I didn't leave the club- he dissolved it- and nobody else had to buy them. He said because he kept my lease fee lower than is really should have been he was going to keep the stand to make up for that. Now, is that someone with the kind of ethics that you want to get in bed with?

#4996335 - 02/27/14 01:32 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
BudTexas Offline
Green Horn

Loc: Texas
Good afternoon Russ79,

Thanks for the information, I will pass this along to my friends and let them know what they may be facing. From the information I have recieved so far, Mr. Byrd is looking for 3 hunters on a 80 acre spot called the Dog Leg section at a price of $5,900. My first reaction was woww, why sooo much for such a small spot. Then my friend told me Mr. Byrd mention the area is known for very big deer, averaging over 200 lbs for bucks. I do have some doubts on what Mr. Byrd said, but have heard in some areas of east Texas do have big deer. This will be the first time I ever hunted east Texas, normally I hunt hill country. But this year I decided to tag along with friends and try east Texas. I am due to look at the place this weekend, I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks alot Russ79.

#4996349 - 02/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

ive never hunted east texas but a 200lb deer in East texas?!!! I dont think so unless they have a feed sack tied to them...3 hunters on 80 acres is close quarters..and that comes out to $74 an acre!!! For almost $2000 find you a great guided hunt and be almost guaranted a buck atleast 130+ inch or better!!! just my opinion

#4996437 - 02/27/14 02:17 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

If the dog leg section is on Mt. Hope then I know exactly where it is. In fact I believe that is what we used to call my hunting area. If that spot goes out on a long ridge that drops off pretty good on both sides, terminates at the end of the ridge with a nice little clearing, with one of those black plastic RealBark stands in the air about halfway down that ridge then that was my spot. I missed a really big buck from that stand about 10 years ago but I don't think I ever saw a deer that had a live weight of 200 lbs. That kind of a price is what I was talking about earlier. I know he can't be paying more than $8/acre- I lease from Campbell myself so I know what their leases go for. The sad part about that is he will find someone to pay that. Hugh Byrd is a salesman and can talk a good game. He is a likeable guy but he will get to you if he can.

#4997703 - 02/28/14 07:51 AM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
That is way over priced. Don't waste your gas and time looking at it. East Texas is the worst lease experiences I've had in my 30 years of hunting. If you lease there, you should pay much less than that and run as fast as you can from any place your looking at that is brokered and has negative references like you have read already.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#4997721 - 02/28/14 07:59 AM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Creekrunner Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Welcome to the forum Bud. This sounds like every east Texas "deal maker" I've ever come across. Lemme guess - he's a part-time minister too?
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#4998043 - 02/28/14 11:00 AM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

Think about it like this- even if you did know them , would you share 80 acres with another hunter much less two and if you would, is it worth $1975 for that opportunity? At least when I left he was only putting about one hunter for every 100 acres...When he finds some other sucker to take this deal (because I am assuming you will pass and he will find someone else)he will be putting about $5000 in his own pocket, just with this one transaction.

#4998284 - 02/28/14 12:49 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hunt in Juno, TX
I don't know this guy, but sounds like a bad deal for sure. That is insane money for 80 acres.

#4998289 - 02/28/14 12:51 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hunt in Juno, TX
My place is a little under $4 an acre in West TX.

#4998390 - 02/28/14 01:36 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
bb1379 Offline
Woodsman

check your pm Bud

#4998599 - 02/28/14 03:35 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

Well, I got some clarification from Campbell on this "special" guy. Apparently, I was told that for that money you get a food plot planted twice a year, one or two feeders that are kept full, and possibly even a protein feeder. He is basically charging you for his services so that all you have to do is show up and hunt. I guess for some it is worth the money to pay to have someone do all the work, but I always enjoyed doing all that myself.

#4999048 - 02/28/14 08:58 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: Russ79]
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Russ79
Well, I got some clarification from Campbell on this "special" guy. Apparently, I was told that for that money you get a food plot planted twice a year, one or two feeders that are kept full, and possibly even a protein feeder. He is basically charging you for his services so that all you have to do is show up and hunt. I guess for some it is worth the money to pay to have someone do all the work, but I always enjoyed doing all that myself.

Danger danger!! Almost every time I hear a lease manager doing this, I also hear moaning about someone running day hunts while the lessors aren't there.

Also think about this: if you have 2-3 hunters on 80 acres, even if it is "safe" you are all hunting the same deer at the same time. If someone shoots, I promise you the deer will vacate those 80 acres and the hunt will be over for the other two for that day, maybe weekend.

So you are basically going to be in a lottery with the other guys each hunt. And probably not more than 1 decent buck (if that). So it becomes a lottery for the season too! Unless there are an exceptional number/quality if deer in the area.

That $4500 for 3 people becomes $4500 for one marginal deer, and you have at most 1 in 3 chance.

Run, don't walk, away from this deal

Edited by John Humbert (02/28/14 08:59 PM)

#4999081 - 02/28/14 09:22 PM Re: Gray Ghost Outfitters [Re: BudTexas]
Russ79 Online   content
Tracker

John, the dollar figure is $5900 for the three, which is even worse. The thing is, I know this lease manager, dealt with him for five years when I was on this lease. This guy is a heckuva talker and must have convinced Campbell that is running a world class operation. If it such a great place, why are there always openings? You can check with him every year and he will have multiple openings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide