6241061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4889928 - 01/05/14 09:55 PM Regulations Questions
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cowtown
I'm a pretty educated guy, but I find the TPWD restrictions to be a bit goofy to interpret. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I didn't harvest a buck with a spread greater than 13 inches, can I then take 2 during the spike/antlerless season?

2. What constitutes a spike? I have a broken up old buck I've been wanting to take out for years and started to do so tonight. In November, he was well over 13 inches wide, but pencil thin. All he has left is about 3 inches on his right side. The left is completely gone. I'm certain it's the same buck as I have pictures of him as he's been whittled down. He's mature, but chases others off the food, so I want him gone. Does he qualify? Can I also take another spike? (I saw 4 tonight, two that are probably 2.5 or older).

The regulation isn't clear stating that only 1 buck can be over 13 inches. So, can I take two "spikes?".

Here's the buck I described above. Pic is from last year as I haven't uploaded any of him this year. His tines this year were maybe 2-3 inches at most, but he was wider. Definitely in decline, but a hoss on the hoof.

Edited by KennyLee (01/05/14 09:57 PM)

#4889963 - 01/05/14 10:11 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
Mike Savoy Offline
Tracker

A broke horn is a spike. Just remember that any warden is going to question that broke horn.

Please post a picture of those spikes that are 2.5 if you have them.

www.centexwildlife.com (under construction)

#4889996 - 01/05/14 10:23 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
"Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken."

That's a big ole boy. One unbranched antler, take him.

#4890000 - 01/05/14 10:25 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: Mike Savoy]
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Mike Savoy
A broke horn is a spike. Just remember that any warden is going to question that broke horn.

Please post a picture of those spikes that are 2.5 if you have them.

I'll try to do it sometime this week. 2,700 pictures in the last 7 days between two cameras. Granted, most are birds, squirrels, and coons.

Strange, I had two spikes I'd been seeing all season until the past 2 weeks and now am seeing several. The one I showed above broke up to become a "spike", but the others are true spikes. Most have a fork on one side or the other, but not both. Not sure where they all came from. I've only looked at the pics using my camera, so I'll need to get them uploaded to my PC to get a better look. Could be a lot of them broke-up to get to this point, but I wasn't seeing many young bucks at my feeders all year. Now I'm seeing many.

I should also point out that part of the reason for this possible "upswing" is that I upgraded the cameras in the last 3 weeks. Getting more, better quality, pictures than I've had in some time as the cameras I replaced were 3-5 years old each. Makes me wish I'd have done so sooner.

#4890031 - 01/05/14 10:37 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hill county
Has to be a true spike (unbranched antler on both sides) for it to be legal in the extended doe spike season, after today 3 pointers and up are off limits.

Edited by bossbowman (01/05/14 10:38 PM)

#4890054 - 01/05/14 10:47 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: bossbowman]
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Has to be a true spike (unbranched antler on both sides) for it to be legal in the extended doe spike season, after today 3 pointers and up are off limits.

I thought that too. However, that's not what the regulation reads. Only specifies on the buck larger than 13 inches.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/2013-2014/counties/wise

#4890067 - 01/05/14 10:52 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: KennyLee

I thought that too. However, that's not what the regulation reads. Only specifies on the buck larger than 13 inches.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/2013-2014/counties/wise

Download the .pdf of the entire outdoor annual, like the one they give you when you buy your license, not all the info is there to the online page you listed. Bucks with any branched antler (as I said 3 pointers and up) are not legal after general season is over, ask your local game warden or call tpwd if you don't believe me, they will be happy to anwer any questions.

#4890080 - 01/05/14 11:01 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Spike buck definition: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/2013-2014/animals/white-tailed-deer

"A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point. All other deer are antlerless deer. A spike buck must be tagged with a buck deer tag from the hunter's hunting license or applicable permit."

No antler may have a fork in it during extended season. Must be a true spike

#4890084 - 01/05/14 11:03 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Its on page 68 of the outdoor annual, under the definition of a spike buck. The next to weeks are doe and "SPIKE" season, not doe and cull season.

#4890094 - 01/05/14 11:09 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: bossbowman]
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Its on page 68 of the outdoor annual, under the definition of a spike buck. The next to weeks are doe and "SPIKE" season, not doe and cull season.

I see that now.

So, that brings me back to Question 2 in my original post. Is that buck considered a spike since it doesn't currently have a branched antler?

If not for game cameras and watching these deer year round, if he was at 150 yards, all I would see is a fat old buck with a single spike coming out of his head.

Edited by KennyLee (01/05/14 11:11 PM)

#4890101 - 01/05/14 11:16 PM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

It is legal since no antler has more than one point.

#4890233 - 01/06/14 06:44 AM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: bossbowman]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
This

#4890291 - 01/06/14 07:31 AM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: Erathkid]
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
This

Thank y'all for pointing that out. I honestly didn't know. I haven't had a hard-copy of the regulations in years and just go by what's online, but I only look at the counties where I hunt. Could have gotten myself in trouble.

#4890458 - 01/06/14 08:42 AM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: KennyLee]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

You said you saw 4 spikes 2 of which you believe are 2.5 yrs or older, are they true spikes or just a spike on ones side? Because FYI it is very very rare for a 2.5 yr old buck to remain spike on both side, in all my years I have never aged a spike buck older than 1.5 yrs old they are almost always fawns or yearlings. I think you may be overestimating the age on the buck as well, its hard to say for sure without more pictures and seeing the character in his face, that picture from last year looks like a 3.5 year old deer to me on first impression. When the get into decline at 7.5 to 8.5 years old you ususally start seeing their hips and backbone more and they lose muscle mass.

#4890855 - 01/06/14 11:13 AM Re: Regulations Questions [Re: bossbowman]
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker

You said you saw 4 spikes 2 of which you believe are 2.5 yrs or older, are they true spikes or just a spike on ones side? Because FYI it is very very rare for a 2.5 yr old buck to remain spike on both side, in all my years I have never aged a spike buck older than 1.5 yrs old they are almost always fawns or yearlings. I think you may be overestimating the age on the buck as well, its hard to say for sure without more pictures and seeing the character in his face, that picture from last year looks like a 3.5 year old deer to me on first impression. When the get into decline at 7.5 to 8.5 years old you ususally start seeing their hips and backbone more and they lose muscle mass.

The spikes I was referencing are only spikes on one side, so not true spikes. I haven't gone through my recent pics yet, but I'm betting several of my "new spikes" are just broken up and didn't start as spikes.

As for the buck pictured above, that picture is a year old and I'd have put him at 4.5 or better back then. That's the only picture I have of him without going to a lot of trouble. I've watched him for at least three years though I'll admit I don't pay a ton of attention to him as I never considered him much more than a cull. I'm the only hunter on 450 acres, so with only one tag to burn he's never been a target.

I have a few like him, two that are ancient, including a couple who don't and have never met ARs. Just part of the deal, but I don't have expectations of growing trophies, just healthier deer that might occasionally produce a good buck. I'm pretty picky having taken just 3 bucks in the last 11 years. Of course, the neighbors aren't so picky but I'm okay with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide