Forums46
Topics538,846
Posts9,742,103
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: txtrophy85] #4442566 08/02/13 08:55 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: MikeHoncho
I once caught a turkey with a dip net. I let it go.

I once shot a bird out of the air mid flight with a Benjamin .22 caliber pellet gun when I was about 10 years old.

lol, those benjamins are bad arse guns.

a buddy of mines dad had some goats that would get over the fence and stand on top of his car. he kept a Crossman pump bb gun to shoot them and scare them off, he shot one behind the shoulder with a BB and it hopped off, stood still then started coughing up blood. it keeled over about a min later.

he stopped shooting them and took to chunking rocks. a week later he threw a rock and it hit a goat in the knee and broke his leg, which had to be amputated.

I also know a guy who killed a wounded goose with a pair of channel locks that he sidearmed into its kneck while it was hobbling down the road.

Goat stories cracked me up, hate them dang things

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4442948 08/02/13 11:44 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: AB Joint Outfitters
Ok.. that's not the end of the story. The clients heard us talking about running hogs with dogs and decided it was crazy, and exactly what they wanted to do. We caught a nice boar which I had to carry a pretty good distance out of the woods. That go me so covered in mud and hog goo that I had to remove my shirt and continue with the hunt topless.

Where things really went wrong was later in the night when we had a small hog caught in some mud on the side of an almost dry tank. The way we approached the hog and dogs put us coming up and over the dam. For some dumb reason I decided to just jump off the back of the dam and land beside the dogs and hog.. it was only a 5ft drop what could go wrong?

It was like jumping into a bowl of sticky oatmeal. I hit the mud and my momentum drove me up to my chest into the sticky stuff. I panicked and tried to get free but I was as stuck as stuck could be. Good news was that I really wasn't sinking anymore, bad news was there was no way I was getting out alone.
Everyone was laughing their tails off at my expense and the clients asked in all seriousness if this was a normal thing that happened. The rest of the guys were able to easily get to the dogs and hog by going around the drop off I had jumped from, and then get over to where I was.

In the process of extracting yours truly from the mud I lost both of my boots, my pants and my boxers...but thankfully I still had my socks on! It was a choice of coming out of the mud without my pants, or staying there all night.

How far were we from the truck?... about a mile. But walking naked in socks through cactus and mesquite scrub I would have told you it was at least ten miles.

Where there women with us? Yes. Client's wife. I walked at the back of the group.

Did I at least get a big tip? Don't remember....it was so overshadowed by the other events of the evening.

Everyone had a good time (except me) and a great laugh at my expense...... And that is the last time that I:
A. Jumped into mud from a elevated location
B. Forgot to wear a belt on my pants
C. Was ever so afraid of cactus spines
E. Was naked with another man's wife in the dark
F. Loved a pair of socks so much..they were better than bare feet

Thus ends the story of finishing a hog hunt naked and the strangest thing (thank god) on my hunting resume!

AWESOME STORY

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4443031 08/03/13 12:09 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I aint even going to try and top that.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Simple Searcher] #4444434 08/03/13 04:59 PM
A
AB Joint Outfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I aint even going to try and top that.

You should thank your lucky stars that you can't. It's by far and away the most ridiculous thing that has ever happened to me in the woods and I am very hopeful that when I die it is still the title holder.
AB

I have two little girls; which means if GI Joe ever got to take a vacation he should come to my house...Ahhh, Estrogen Land! Where lonely barbies abound without a single man in site.
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4445020 08/03/13 10:37 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Two pretty weird things:

1. An article was written about me and a deer I shot that appeared in the November 2005 issue of Buckmasters magazine.

2. I have a log of every deer I've shot that includes date, time, location, weapon, weight, and any other special remarks worth remembering.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4445271 08/04/13 12:13 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: AB Joint Outfitters
Ok.. that's not the end of the story. The clients heard us talking about running hogs with dogs and decided it was crazy, and exactly what they wanted to do. We caught a nice boar which I had to carry a pretty good distance out of the woods. That go me so covered in mud and hog goo that I had to remove my shirt and continue with the hunt topless.

Where things really went wrong was later in the night when we had a small hog caught in some mud on the side of an almost dry tank. The way we approached the hog and dogs put us coming up and over the dam. For some dumb reason I decided to just jump off the back of the dam and land beside the dogs and hog.. it was only a 5ft drop what could go wrong?

It was like jumping into a bowl of sticky oatmeal. I hit the mud and my momentum drove me up to my chest into the sticky stuff. I panicked and tried to get free but I was as stuck as stuck could be. Good news was that I really wasn't sinking anymore, bad news was there was no way I was getting out alone.
Everyone was laughing their tails off at my expense and the clients asked in all seriousness if this was a normal thing that happened. The rest of the guys were able to easily get to the dogs and hog by going around the drop off I had jumped from, and then get over to where I was.

In the process of extracting yours truly from the mud I lost both of my boots, my pants and my boxers...but thankfully I still had my socks on! It was a choice of coming out of the mud without my pants, or staying there all night.

How far were we from the truck?... about a mile. But walking naked in socks through cactus and mesquite scrub I would have told you it was at least ten miles.

Where there women with us? Yes. Client's wife. I walked at the back of the group.

Did I at least get a big tip? Don't remember....it was so overshadowed by the other events of the evening.

Everyone had a good time (except me) and a great laugh at my expense...... And that is the last time that I:
A. Jumped into mud from a elevated location
B. Forgot to wear a belt on my pants
C. Was ever so afraid of cactus spines
E. Was naked with another man's wife in the dark
F. Loved a pair of socks so much..they were better than bare feet

Thus ends the story of finishing a hog hunt naked and the strangest thing (thank god) on my hunting resume!

roflmao Thanks bud, I needed that!! Great story.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Eland Slayer] #4445344 08/04/13 12:43 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My weird story would be that for the two or three years I was on a lease I never saw a hog when I was in a stand but we trapped them all the time.

Now on my land I have killed pigs from the stand and see a lot of them but I can not trap any of them in any of the three traps me and the neighbor have set.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Wburke2010] #4445444 08/04/13 01:34 AM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I killed 2 10" beard Toms at 150 yards with a 300 win mag with one shot. Hit the one I was aiming at in the neck, a piece of the bullet hit the 2nd Tom behind and off to the right of the first Tom in the temple.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Stompy] #4445601 08/04/13 03:13 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I killed 2 10" beard Toms at 150 yards with a 300 win mag with one shot. Hit the one I was aiming at in the neck, a piece of the bullet hit the 2nd Tom behind and off to the right of the first Tom in the temple.

You were lucky.

A .300 win mag is a little on the light side for turkey hunting

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: LandPirate] #4445818 08/04/13 05:08 AM
K
kmartinusa Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
As a kid, I killed a dove as it sat in an elm tree, by chunking a flat, sharp piece of flint rock. Took it's head right off. I was the neighborhood hero and bad arse for a week or two afterward.

I once attempted to kill a turkey by chunking a 4-way tire iron at it. I hit it in the head and knocked it out. Thinking it was dead, I threw it into the bed of the truck. By the time we got back to camp, it had come to. We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him.

Me and some friends once caught a bunch of jackrabbits by hand. We took to the hunting cabin and turned them loose inside. Yes, we were drunk.

I've never choked a catfish.

And finally, if I had to choose, I pick offshore fishing over hunting.

...that's the funniest story I've read in a very long time. I think there's at least one signature line worthy quote there...maybe " We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him."

Originally Posted by LandPirate
We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him.
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: kmartinusa] #4446032 08/04/13 01:12 PM
A
Tracker
Tracker
A
I couldn't agree more.... Had to leave the catfish part in as well... it makes me laugh so hard!

Last edited by AB Joint Outfitters; 08/04/13 01:13 PM.

I have two little girls; which means if GI Joe ever got to take a vacation he should come to my house...Ahhh, Estrogen Land! Where lonely barbies abound without a single man in site.
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4446362 08/04/13 04:25 PM
B
Bobby-Catfishing Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I've never killed a squirrel, but have shot 3 coyotes and a bobcat with my bow. The 3 coyotes came from one sit. Dropped the first one in its tracks. Second and third didn't get too far. Shot at a 4th with my last arrow, but he jumped the string and I missed. Found out that day a dead coyote 15 yards from a tree stand makes a great decoy. I debated shooting that last arrow, but thought this would NEVER happen again in my lifetime so why not and let it fly.

Bobby's Catfish Guide Service
Bobby Kubin - Lake Lewisville Fishing Guide
www.bobby-catfishing.com
(817) 455-2894
Email:bobby@bobby-catfishing.com
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: txtrophy85] #4446631 08/04/13 06:57 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

You were lucky.

A .300 win mag is a little on the light side for turkey hunting

It's a tack driving custom gun. I was aiming for the neck on the first one. That way if I missed no harm no Fowl..

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Stompy] #4446792 08/04/13 08:14 PM
A
Tracker
Tracker
A

That way if I missed no harm no Fowl..

roflmao

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #4446990 08/04/13 09:23 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I'm way too late to this party. I just thought I did some dumb things.

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Sneaky] #4447311 08/04/13 11:21 PM
C
Chrisfromlumberton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
The oddest thing about mine?

I don't have one...yet. I'm 18 and never been hunting. This'll be my first season ever

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Chrisfromlumberton] #4447321 08/04/13 11:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Chrisfromlumberton

I don't have one...yet. I'm 18 and never been hunting. This'll be my first season ever

welcome to the fold.

what got you interested in our sport?

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: txtrophy85] #4447468 08/04/13 11:59 PM
C
Chrisfromlumberton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: Chrisfromlumberton

welcome to the fold.

what got you interested in our sport?

Eating deer sausage gumbo that my friends dad shot when I stayed at his house during hunting season

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: Chrisfromlumberton] #4448228 08/05/13 04:47 AM
D
DeerTamales Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I print out every hunting pic I receive from friends and family and put in my camo album.

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: DeerTamales] #4448718 08/05/13 02:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DeerTamales
I print out every hunting pic I receive from friends and family and put in my camo album.

that's a pretty cool idea

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: txtrophy85] #4449022 08/05/13 04:41 PM
J
jlbain94 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Ive never killed a deer in Texas. Killed 2 in Florida though, and dont even live there.

A man can never have enough guns.
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #4449049 08/05/13 04:53 PM
F
FLTXduck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
First kill ever were two teal that unbeknownest to us, paddled out into our decoy spread from who knows where while we were looking skyward for birds to come in. when i looked down, i thought our decoys were drifting away...they were not decoys. Skillet shot got me 2.
Last year i hunted deer for the fist time on a buddy's farm in Illinois. I had zero experience with deer at all and was hunting with 6 other experienced deer guys. First day, first sit, i rattled in an 8 point to within 25 yards and dropped him dead in his tracks with a slug out of my scopeless shotgun. No other hunters killed, much less fired a shot that day. Very next morning as i am getting ready to pack it in after a cold sit, i hear 2 other hunters in the party behind me fire off shots successively. I turn around to see a large buck running down a drainage towards me. Thought he must be shot so i waited for him to fall. He didnt fall but just kept running towards my tree. He stopped at 50 yards out and turned to look in the direction he came. I put the bead on his shoulder (still scopeless) and took a shot. Dropped dead in his tracks. Found out later that 2 of the other guys had shot at the deer and missed. 2 bucks, 2 days, first deer hunt.....none of the other guys killed a deer. Luck? I dont know...we'll find out in October when i am back in that tree.

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: FLTXduck] #4449211 08/05/13 05:51 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I killed 3 deer with vehicle before I shot one.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #4449225 08/05/13 05:57 PM
D
DiverTexas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Didn't shoot a hog until I was in my 40's.
Never been duck hunting.
Killed two deer with one shot on 3 different occasions.
Skipped a close relatives wedding because it was on opening day.

Re: What is odd about your hunting resume'? [Re: DiverTexas] #4449374 08/05/13 06:53 PM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Killed one dove, handful of ducks (20 or so, maybe less), 2 hogs, one rabbit, that's all.

Have my own place to deer hunt this year and already have it all set up. Also on a duck lease plus dove season in Fannin county for this season. I am young so I have plenty of time to add to my resume. I am on this forum a lot, know a good bit, and have harvested little.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide