Print Thread
2013 Season dates #4241610 05/08/13 04:39 PM
T
tightlines24 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I assume the start of gun season will be November 2nd this year. Can anyone confirm that and does anyone know what criteria TPWD follows for setting season dates?

Last edited by tightlines24; 05/08/13 04:41 PM.
Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: tightlines24] #4241823 05/08/13 05:42 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Didn't know Texas has a 'gun' season; it has an Archery Only Season, Early and Late Youth Only Seasons and General Season(s) and a Muzzleloader Season.

•Open Seasons: Dates shown are opening and closing dates for the open season. The open season includes both dates and all days between.

Unless otherwise specified, the open season is a "general" season and all legal means, as specified in this guide, may be used in taking the species.

Where the open season is designated as "archery", only legal archery equipment/crossbow as specified, may be used.

Where the open season is designated as "muzzleloader only", only muzzleloaders as defined, may be used.

When a season is designated as a "youth-only", special regulations apply. See definition of "youth".

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: kyotee1] #4242076 05/08/13 07:30 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
General season normally starts first week after the 1st of November,later in south Texas.

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: bp3] #4242780 05/09/13 12:26 AM
Lone Ranger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I think it is the first Saturday in November and a week later in south Texas.

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: Lone Ranger] #4242834 05/09/13 12:48 AM
M
Meat man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
November 2 although TPWD has not posted

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: Meat man] #4243650 05/09/13 12:44 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Whitetail General Season begins the same date for all counties in Texas that have an Open Season for Whitetailed deer, regardless of the region.

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: kyotee1] #4247124 05/10/13 07:57 PM
H
Hill Country Stalker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
popcorn

BUCK
Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: Hill Country Stalker] #4248792 05/11/13 04:44 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
TPWD told me yesterday that they have not set the opening dates for WT deer for 2013.

I am guessing that archery season will start on September 28th.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: BradyBuck] #4248804 05/11/13 04:51 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
TPWD told me yesterday that they have not set the opening dates for WT deer for 2013.

I am guessing that archery season will start on September 28th.

I hope so I like it when it starts that early

Re: 2013 Season dates [Re: Navasot] #4249000 05/11/13 08:10 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
How they set dates is located in TPWD Administrative Code. There were some changes related to Mule Deer and MLD permits on the upcoming commission agenda, but I don't remember what those were, so I doubt there will be any change to the Whitetail season structure for General and Archery.

General the first Saturday in November would be November 2nd.

Archery the Saturday closest to September 30 would be September 28th

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage

-------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) No person may exceed the applicable county bag limit or the annual bag limit of five white-tailed deer (no more than three bucks) and two mule deer (no more than one buck), except as provided by:

(1) §65.26 of this title (relating to Managed Lands Deer Permits (MLDP)--White-tailed Deer);

(2) §65.34 of this title (relating to Managed Lands Deer Permits (MLDP)--Mule Deer);

(3) §65.27 of this title (relating to Antlerless and Spike-Buck Deer Control Permits);

(4) §65.28 of this title (relating to Landowner Assisted Management Permits (LAMPS));

(5) an antlerless mule deer permit issued under §65.32 of this title (relating to Antlerless Mule Deer Permits);

(6) special permits under the provisions of Subchapter H of this chapter (relating to Public Lands Proclamation); or

(7) special antlerless permit issued by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) for use on USFS lands that are part of the department's public hunting program.

(b) White-tailed deer. The open seasons, annual bag limits, and special provisions for white-tailed deer shall be as follows. If Managed Lands Deer Permits (MLDPs) have been issued for a tract of land in any county, they must be attached to all deer harvested on the tract of land, regardless of season. An MLDP buck permit may not be used to harvest or tag an antlerless deer. An MLDP antlerless permit may not be used to tag a buck deer.

(1) In Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Calhoun, Cameron, Dimmit, Duval, Frio, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kinney (south of U.S. Highway 90), Kleberg, LaSalle, Live Oak, Maverick, McMullen, Medina (south of U.S. Highway 90), Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Uvalde (south of U.S. Highway 90), Val Verde (that southeastern portion located both south of U.S. Highway 90 and east of Spur 239), Webb, Willacy, Zapata, and Zavala counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: from the first Saturday in November through the third Sunday in January.

(B) Bag limit: five deer, no more than three bucks.

(C) Special late general season. In the counties listed in this paragraph there is a special late general season for the take of antlerless and spike-buck deer only. Open season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the third Sunday in January.

(D) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(2) In Atascosa County there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: from the first Saturday in November through the third Sunday in January.

(B) Bag limit: five deer, no more than two bucks.

(C) Special late general season. In the counties listed in this paragraph there is a special late general season for the take of antlerless and spike-buck deer only. Open season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the third Sunday in January.

(D) Special provisions.

(i) Buck deer. The provisions of this clause do not apply on properties for which Level 2 or Level 3 MLDPs have been issued. In Atascosa County, a legal buck is a buck deer having:

(I) at least one unbranched antler; or

(II) an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken.

(ii) Antlerless deer. No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(3) In Bandera, Baylor, Bexar, Blanco, Burnet, Callahan, Coke, Coleman, Comal (west of Interstate 35), Concho, Crockett, Edwards, Gillespie, Glasscock, Haskell, Hays (west of Interstate 35), Howard, Irion, Jones, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney (north of U.S. Highway 90), Knox, Llano, Mason, McCulloch, Medina (north of U.S. Highway 90), Menard, Mitchell, Nolan, Pecos, Real, Reagan, Runnels, San Saba, Schleicher, Shackelford, Sterling, Sutton, Taylor, Terrell, Throckmorton, Tom Green, Travis (west of Interstate 35), Upton, Uvalde (north of U.S. Highway 90), Val Verde (north of U.S. Highway 90; and that portion located both south of U.S. 90 and west of Spur 239), and Wilbarger counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: from the first Saturday in November through the first Sunday in January.

(C) Special late general season. In the counties listed in this paragraph there is a special late general season for the take of antlerless and spike-buck deer only. Open season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the first Sunday in January.

(D) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(4) In Archer, Bell (west of IH 35), Bosque, Brown, Clay, Coryell, Hamilton, Hill, Jack, Lampasas, McLennan, Mills, Palo Pinto, Somervell, Stephens, Wichita, Williamson (west of IH 35) and Young counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: from the first Saturday in November through the first Sunday in January.

(C) Special late general season. In the counties listed in this paragraph there is a special late general season for the take of antlerless and spike-buck deer only. Open season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the first Sunday in January.

(D) Special provisions.

(i) Buck deer. The provisions of this clause do not apply on properties for which Level 2 or Level 3 MLDPs have been issued. In the counties listed in this paragraph, a legal buck is a buck deer having:

(II) an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken.

(ii) Antlerless deer. No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(5) In Armstrong, Borden, Briscoe, Carson, Childress, Collingsworth, Cottle, Crosby, Dickens, Donley, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Garza, Gray, Hall, Hardeman, Hemphill, Hutchinson, Kent, King, Lipscomb, Motley, Ochiltree, Roberts, Scurry, Stonewall, and Wheeler counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: five deer, no more than one buck.

(6) In Brewster, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, and Reeves counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: from first Saturday in November through the first Sunday in January.

(B) Bag limit: four deer, no more than two bucks.

(C) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(7) In Comanche, Cooke, Denton, Eastland, Erath, Hood, Johnson, Montague, Parker, Tarrant, and Wise counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: four deer, no more than two bucks and no more than two antlerless.

(D) Special provisions.

(i) Buck deer. The provisions of this clause do not apply on properties for which Level 2 or Level 3 MLDPs have been issued. In the counties listed in this paragraph, a legal buck is a buck deer having:

(ii) Antlerless deer.

(I) On USFS, Corps of Engineers, and river authority lands in the counties listed in this paragraph, the take of antlerless deer shall be by permit only, except on USFS lands in Montague and Wise counties, where antlerless deer may be taken without permits from Thanksgiving Day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day.

(II) On all tracts of land other than those listed in subclause (I) of this clause, no permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(8) In Angelina, Brazoria, Chambers, Cherokee, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad (south of U.S. Highway 59), Hardin, Harris, Houston, Jackson (south if U.S. Highway 59), Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, Victoria (south of U.S. Highway 59), Walker, and Wharton (south of U.S. Highway 59) counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: Four deer, no more than two bucks and no more than two antlerless.

(C) Special provisions.

(i) Buck deer. The provisions of this clause do not apply on properties for which Level 2 or Level 3 MLDPs have been issued. In the counties listed in this paragraph, a legal buck is a buck having:

(ii) Antlerless deer. If permits have been issued for the harvest of antlerless deer, they must be attached to all antlerless deer harvested on the tract of land.

(I) On USFS, Corps of Engineers, and river authority lands in the counties listed in this paragraph, the take of antlerless deer shall be by permit only.

(II) On all other tracts of land in the counties listed in this paragraph, antlerless deer may be taken without permits from opening day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day. From the Monday immediately following Thanksgiving Day until the end of the season, antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD permit or LAMPS permit only.

(III) On tracts of land for which LAMPS permits have been issued, no LAMPS permit is required for the harvest of antlerless deer during the archery-only or muzzleloader-only open season.

(9) In Bowie, Cass, Harrison, Marion, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, and Shelby counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: four deer, no more than two bucks and no more two antlerless.

(C) Special provisions.

(ii) Antlerless deer. If permits have been issued for the harvest of antlerless deer, they must be attached to all antlerless deer harvested on the tract of land.

(I) On USFS, Corps of Engineers, and river authority lands in the counties listed in this paragraph, the take of antlerless deer shall be by permit only.

(II) On all other tracts of land in the counties listed in this paragraph, antlerless deer may be taken without permits during the first 16 days of the season. After the first 16 days of the season, antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD permit or LAMPS permit only.

(III) On tracts of land for which LAMPS permits have been issued, no LAMPS permit is required for the harvest of antlerless deer during the archery-only or muzzleloader-only open season.

(10) In Anderson, Brazos, Camp, Delta, Fannin, Franklin, Gregg, Grimes, Henderson, Hopkins, Hunt, Lamar, Leon, Madison, Morris, Rains, Red River, Robertson, Smith, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, and Wood counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: four deer, no more than two antlerless and no more than two bucks.

(C) Special provisions.

(I) On USFS, Corps of Engineers, and river authority lands in the counties listed in this paragraph, the take of antlerless deer shall be by permit only, except in Fannin County.

(II) On all other tracts of land in the counties listed in this paragraph, antlerless deer may be taken without permits from Thanksgiving Day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day. At all other times, antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD permit or LAMPS permit only.

(11) In Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: four deer, no more than two antlerless and no more than two bucks.

(C) Special provisions. Lawful means are restricted to lawful archery equipment and crossbows only, including MLDP properties.

(ii) Antlerless deer. No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLD antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(12) In Austin, Bastrop, Bell (east of IH 35), Burleson, Caldwell, Colorado, Comal (east of IH 35), De Witt, Ellis, Falls, Fayette, Freestone, Goliad (north of U.S. Highway 59), Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays (east of IH 35), Jackson (north of U.S. Highway 59), Karnes, Kaufman, Lavaca, Lee, Limestone, Milam, Navarro, Travis (east of IH 35), Victoria (north of U.S. Highway 59), Waller, Washington, Wharton (north of U.S. Highway 59), Williamson (east of IH 35) and Wilson counties, there is a general open season.

(C) Special provisions.

(ii) Antlerless deer.

(I) Antlerless deer may be taken by MLD antlerless or LAMPS permits only.

(II) On tracts of land for which LAMPS permits have been issued, no LAMPS permit is required for the harvest of antlerless deer during the archery-only or muzzleloader-only open season.

(13) In Dallam, Dawson, Deaf Smith, Hansford, Hartley, Martin, Moore, Oldham, Potter, Randall, Sherman, and Swisher counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: three deer, no more than one buck and no more than two antlerless.

(C) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP antlerless permits have been issued for the tract of land.

(14) In Crane, Ector, Loving, Midland, and Ward counties, there is a general open season.

(B) Bag limit: three deer, no more than one buck and no more than two antlerless.

(C) Antlerless deer may be taken by MLD antlerless or LAMPS permits only.

(15) In Andrews, Bailey, Castro, Cochran, Collin, Dallas, El Paso, Gaines, Galveston, Hale, Hockley, Hudspeth, Lamb, Lubbock, Lynn, Parmer, Rockwall, Terry, Winkler, and Yoakum counties, there is no general open season.

(16) Archery-only open seasons. In all counties where there is a general open season for white-tailed deer, there is an archery-only open season during which either sex of white-tailed deer may be taken as provided for in §65.11(2) and (3) of this title (relating to Means and Methods).

(A) Open season: from the Saturday closest to September 30 for 35 consecutive days.

(B) Bag limit: the bag limit in any given county is as provided for that county during the general open season.

(C) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP permits have been issued for the property.

(17) Muzzleloader-only open seasons, and bag and possession limits shall be as follows. In Angelina, Austin, Bastrop, Bowie, Brazoria, Brewster, Caldwell, Camp, Cass Chambers, Cherokee, Colorado, Culberson, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Gregg, Guadalupe, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jackson, Jasper, Jeff Davis, Jefferson, Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Liberty, Marion, Matagorda, Montgomery, Morris, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Presidio, Reeves, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, Upshur, Victoria, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton, and Wilson counties, there is an open season during which deer may be taken only with a muzzleloader.

(A) Open Season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the first Sunday in January.

(B) Bag limit: as specified in this section for the general season in the county in which take occurs.

(C) Special provisions:

(i) Buck deer. In any given county, all restrictions established in this subsection for the take of buck deer during the general season remain in effect.

(ii) Antlerless deer. No permit is required for the take of antlerless deer, except:

(I) on properties for which antlerless MLDPs have been issued; and

(II) in the counties that are also listed in paragraph (12) of this section.

(18) Special Youth-Only Seasons. There shall be special youth-only general hunting seasons in all counties where there is a general open season for white-tailed deer.

(A) early open season: the Saturday and Sunday immediately before the first Saturday in November.

(B) late open season: 14 consecutive days starting the first Monday following the first Sunday in January.

(C) Bag limits, provisions for the take of antlerless deer, and special requirements in the individual counties listed in paragraphs (1) - (14) of this subsection shall be as specified for the first two days of the general open season in those counties, except as provided in subparagraph (D) of this paragraph.

(D) Provisions for the take of antlerless deer in the individual counties listed in paragraph (10) of this subsection shall be as specified in those counties for the period of time from Thanksgiving Day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day.

(E) Licensed hunters 16 years of age or younger may hunt deer by any lawful means during the seasons established by subparagraphs (A) and (B) of this paragraph.

(F) The stamp requirement of Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 43, Subchapter I, does not apply during the seasons established by this paragraph.

(c) Mule deer. The open seasons and annual bag limits for mule deer shall be as follows.

(1) In Armstrong, Borden, Briscoe, Carson, Childress, Coke, Collingsworth, Cottle, Crosby, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Dickens, Donley, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Garza, Gray, Hall, Hansford, Hardeman, Hartley, Hemphill, Hutchinson, Kent, King, Lipscomb, Moore, Motley, Ochiltree, Oldham, Potter, Randall, Roberts, Scurry, Sherman, Stonewall, Swisher, and Wheeler counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: Saturday before Thanksgiving for 16 consecutive days.

(B) Bag limit: two deer, no more than one buck.

(C) Antlerless deer may be taken only by Antlerless Mule Deer or MLD Permits.

(2) In Brewster, Crane, Crockett, Culberson, Ector, El Paso, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Loving, Midland, Pecos, Presidio, Reagan, Reeves, Terrell, Upton, Val Verde, Ward, and Winkler counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: the Friday immediately following Thanksgiving for 17 consecutive days.

(C) Antlerless deer may be taken only by Antlerless Mule Deer or MLD Permits.

(3) In Andrews, Bailey, Cochran, Dawson, Gaines, Hockley, Lamb, Martin, Parmer, Terry, and Yoakum counties, there is a general open season.

(A) Open season: Saturday before Thanksgiving for nine consecutive days.

(C) Antlerless deer may be taken by permit only.

(4) In all other counties, there is no general open season for mule deer.

(5) Archery-only open seasons and bag and possession limits shall be as follows. During an archery-only open season, deer may be taken only as provided for in §65.11(2) and (3) of this title (relating to Lawful Means). No antlerless permit is required unless MLD antlerless permits have been issued for the property.

(A) In Armstrong, Borden, Briscoe, Carson, Childress, Coke, Collingsworth, Cottle, Crane, Crockett, Crosby, Culberson, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Dickens, Donley, Ector, El Paso, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Garza, Gray, Hall, Hansford, Hardeman, Hartley, Hemphill, Hudspeth, Hutchinson, Jeff Davis, Kent, King, Lipscomb, Loving, Midland, Moore, Motley, Ochiltree, Oldham, Potter, Presidio, Randall, Reagan, Reeves, Roberts, Scurry, Sherman, Stonewall, Swisher, Upton, Val Verde, Ward, Wheeler, and Winkler counties, there is an open season.

(i) Open season: from the Saturday closest to September 30 for 35 consecutive days.

(ii) Bag limit: one buck deer.

(B) In Brewster, Pecos, and Terrell counties, there is an open season.

(i) Open season: from the Saturday closest to September 30 for 35 consecutive days.

(ii) Bag limit: two deer, no more than one buck.

(C) In all other counties, there is no archery-only open season for mule deer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide