Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: White Mouflon [Re: nsmike] #3930377 01/08/13 07:50 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
To me it the mouflon color that makes him what he is. Only the urial/mouflon sheep have that spectacular color.

A white one just isn't that. And since a texas-dall is the name the industry uses for all white hair sheep he's a dall.

He would have to be at least 1/4-1/8th to get those white genetics from his Barbados, Rambouillett, Merino, St Croix, Dorper, Wiltshire Horn daddy/grand daddy.

17/16ths is considered pure on breed up programs, he wouldn't be anywhere near those kinds of numbers, so he's not a mouflon.

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3930481 01/08/13 08:21 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Are you sure he's white and not an albino? If so how? Albinos some time have a bit of color. I would agree with you on white but I've see enough albino animals not too discount it.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: White Mouflon [Re: nsmike] #3930512 01/08/13 08:30 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Purdy either way. up

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3930877 01/08/13 10:13 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
To me it the mouflon color that makes him what he is. Only the urial/mouflon sheep have that spectacular color.

A white one just isn't that. And since a texas-dall is the name the industry uses for all white hair sheep he's a dall.

He would have to be at least 1/4-1/8th to get those white genetics from his Barbados, Rambouillett, Merino, St Croix, Dorper, Wiltshire Horn daddy/grand daddy.

17/16ths is considered pure on breed up programs, he wouldn't be anywhere near those kinds of numbers, so he's not a mouflon.

Roo,

You and I typically agree on most things....but what you said is not necessarily true. Every white sheep is not a TX Dall. A TX Dall is just the white color variation of a Corsican Sheep (just as a "Black Hawaiian" is the black color variation of a Corsican Sheep).

Coloration is not the determining factor for a Mouflon, it is also horn configuration. The sheep in this thread has the EXACT perfect horn configuration of every other 100% pure European Mouflon you will ever see (massive, heart-shaped horns curving in toward the chin). There is not even a slight indication of any Corsican-type sheep blood in him. I would bet money he is at least 7/8ths pure Mouflon....but possibly even 100% pure. He just so happens to be white....(which in my opinion, is AWESOME!!)....similar to how melanism causes animals to look black. It would be nice to know whether he is an albino or just white.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: White Mouflon [Re: Eland Slayer] #3931019 01/08/13 10:50 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Somebody PLEASE hurry up and go shoot this thing....before I do something I shouldn't. bang LOL

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Eland Slayer] #3931128 01/08/13 11:17 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Somebody PLEASE hurry up and go shoot this thing....before I do something I shouldn't. bang LOL
chicken chicken .......... Lol

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: White Mouflon [Re: BBD84] #3931259 01/08/13 11:54 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: BBD84
chicken chicken .......... Lol

Yep....I am

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Eland Slayer] #3931268 01/08/13 11:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
how much did he want for it?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: White Mouflon [Re: nsmike] #3932234 01/09/13 03:46 AM
H
Hilonesome Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but not only on this post, all over the internet the lack of Sheep Knowledge abounds! for starters, color is by far the most prolific feature of a Pure European Mouflon,a 1/8th Mouflon many times will carry Mouflon Markings, you can't base your decision strictly on Horn Shape, stop and think about it! just because his horns do not flare does not make him a Mouflon, as a dedicated Breeder of Pure European Mouflon, this subject is very dear too me. 1) look at his ears, then truly study a TRUE Pure Wild Sheep(such as a Mouflon), their ears point upward at the very least a 45 degree angle, this rams ear are exactly horizontal(all I need to bet the Ranch on Domestic Blood) 2) look at his hind quarters(looks like a beef steer) a Pure Mouflon will have a very slight hindquarter(I don't care how fat they are)they will also be higher at the withers sloping downward toward the hips, always, the bulk of their body mass will be in their forequarters.
I had a "pet project" for a few years attempting to breed a herd of White Sheep that looked like Mouflon, I achieved my goal in 2 generations, I had a breeding Ram that looked Identical too this one, my females were smaller bodied, longer legged, and short tailed (4 inches) they were less than 50% Mouflon.
Once again as a breeder, it is very disheartening to see Mouflon Types(which this ram doesn't even pass for)being sold and advertised as Pure Mouflon. currently their are a number of "Mouflon Types"(1-8-13)advertised as Pure Mouflon on wildlifebuyer.com.....if anyone cares to view Pure European Mouflon, visit www.hilonesomemouflon.com you will see the difference... once again, "ruffled feathers" is definetely not my intention, I would simply love to see a more "educated" public when it comes to Sheep! I am done now!

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Eland Slayer] #3932397 01/09/13 04:29 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Roo,

You and I typically agree on most things....but what you said is not necessarily true. Every white sheep is not a TX Dall. A TX Dall is just the white color variation of a Corsican Sheep (just as a "Black Hawaiian" is the black color variation of a Corsican Sheep).

Coloration is not the determining factor for a Mouflon, it is also horn configuration. The sheep in this thread has the EXACT perfect horn configuration of every other 100% pure European Mouflon you will ever see (massive, heart-shaped horns curving in toward the chin). There is not even a slight indication of any Corsican-type sheep blood in him. I would bet money he is at least 7/8ths pure Mouflon....but possibly even 100% pure. He just so happens to be white....(which in my opinion, is AWESOME!!)....similar to how melanism causes animals to look black. It would be nice to know whether he is an albino or just white.

Eland,

I never said every white sheep is a dall, I said every white hair sheep in the exotic hunting world is a texas dall.

Casey is on the ball.

Wade, read Ricky Hunts Mouflon World book. And see if you can find a cop of Valarius Geist work on wild sheep.

Not trying to "rastle you" buddy, I grew up in the livestock industry that's why this exotic hoof stock is so neat to me. It's just FFA and 4H with wildlife.

My x-girlfriend and I worked with a group of Navajo Churro folks to get polycerate hair sheep within about 5 generations, if we were doing it today we'd have used Damara sheep from Namibia as they have no throat mane.

I would never consider myself a wild sheep expert, but grew up in the domestic sheep industry. So I know a few things.

That guy isn't anywhere near pure mouflon.

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3933340 01/09/13 04:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
nice website casey!

pretty sheep you have there

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: White Mouflon [Re: txtrophy85] #3933365 01/09/13 04:14 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
It would be nice to hear what Rickey Hunt has to say on the subject...

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3933482 01/09/13 04:45 PM
D
duane Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
now its time for me to cut in and this is going to be the fun part.

I never said every white sheep is a dall, I said every white hair sheep in the exotic hunting world is a texas dall.

1. just because he is white and is a ram and has horns DOESNT make him a dall.

try this riddle. im a white sheep but i have four horns, am i a dall or four horn?

and here is another one if a WHITETAIL is solid white does that mean he isnt a whitetail because he doesnt have the regular color of a whitetail?

2. WHO cares what he goes under in the record books. i have alot of guys that have never seen exotics before because they are from AR,LA,OK,NE,WI and to them its a trophy. if you shoot a white elk,white buffalo, white water buffalo, does that make it any difference...... NO

3. SEE #1

Duane
Drz Exotics LLC

Facebook- www.facebook.com/drzhunting
Re: White Mouflon [Re: duane] #3933729 01/09/13 05:42 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
So what your saying is its an albino dallflon Duane correct ???? stir confused2

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: White Mouflon [Re: BBD84] #3933750 01/09/13 05:47 PM
D
duane Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
So what your saying is its an albino dallflon Duane correct ???? stir confused2

thats exactly what i didnt say. just saying its not a dall. and cant be an albino dallflon due to the fact that . WE dont even know what "standard" color a da'flon is according to SCI,ROE,EWA,NWA,nWo hahaha

Duane
Drz Exotics LLC

Re: White Mouflon [Re: duane] #3933778 01/09/13 05:56 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
It was a joke, who cares what you call it, i say a white colored mouflon and others can disagree of they like. Its a bad [censored] looking ram and if i wasn't going after a pure mouflon in about a month or so id go after this one.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: White Mouflon [Re: BBD84] #3933792 01/09/13 05:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Re: White Mouflon [Re: BBD84] #3933829 01/09/13 06:08 PM
D
duane Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
It was a joke, who cares what you call it, i say a white colored mouflon and others can disagree of they like. Its a bad [censored] looking ram and if i wasn't going after a pure mouflon in about a month or so id go after this one.

yes i know it was a joke. i mean dang the joker hit it right on,"why so serious?" about everyone wanting to prove a fellow HUNTER(youngblood) wrong

Last edited by duane; 01/09/13 06:11 PM.

Duane
Drz Exotics LLC

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Navasot] #3933903 01/09/13 06:20 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Interracial sheep couple?? scratch confused2

Re: White Mouflon [Re: duane] #3934046 01/09/13 06:59 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
WHITE HAIR SHEEP = DALL

All I am saying is that dall, no matter how scientifically wrong it is (as the hair sheep in Texas have zero Alaskan Dall sheep in them) is what they have been called since the 1970s if not longer.

Even the folks with the new rocky mountain bighorn hybrids are calling the white ones dalls.

Fun thing to argue about.

soap

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3934081 01/09/13 07:08 PM
D
duane Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
so where is the answer to the other question.

try this riddle. im a white sheep but i have four horns, am i a dall or four horn?

Duane
Drz Exotics LLC

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3934169 01/09/13 07:25 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
WHITE HAIR SHEEP = DALL

All I am saying is that dall, no matter how scientifically wrong it is (as the hair sheep in Texas have zero Alaskan Dall sheep in them) is what they have been called since the 1970s if not longer.

Even the folks with the new rocky mountain bighorn hybrids are calling the white ones dalls.

Fun thing to argue about.

soap

Haha....you're still WRONG Roo!!! If a certified, pure-bred Mouflon popped out a white baby (albino or otherwise)....which has absolutely ZERO Corsican sheep DNA.....it is NOT a TX Dall, period, end of story!! A Texas Dall is a white Corsican Sheep.

trout

You claiming that all white hair-sheep are Texas Dalls....is like trying to tell Sitting Bull that his sacred white Buffalo is really a Charolais cow. After all, it must be....it has white hair!!! OMG!!!

soap

(By the way, you're right....this is fun to argue about)

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Eland Slayer] #3934473 01/09/13 08:25 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Duane,

Since you said white sheep and not white hair sheep, it could be a Navajo Churro.

WHITE NAVAJO CHURRO 4 HORN WOOL SHEEP

2ND WHITE NAVAJO CHURRO 4 HORN WOOL SHEEP

WILTESHIREHORN HAIR SHEEP WHITE

2ND WILTSHIRE HORN HAIR SHEEP WHITE

DAMARA HAIR SHEEP

Wade,

You can make a white elephant out of your white hybrid dallflon if you want to. But that doesn't change the fact that he's not a pure mouflon. banana

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3934478 01/09/13 08:25 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I couldn't find a photo of a damara that was totally white, they all had APHA/dalmation spots.

Re: White Mouflon [Re: Roo Basher] #3934514 01/09/13 08:37 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
First off I know these photos of wilteshire horns have wool, but they are still considred to be a hair sheep.

THIS IS ONE OF RICKY HUNTS RAMS

TEXAS DALL FROM THE TROPHY HAIR SHEEP REGISTRY

THESE ARE THE BREED STANDARDS FOR MOUFLON SHEEP IN THE REGISTRY
COAT:
Mouflon Sheep are considered a hair or shedding sheep. These sheep actually have
two coats: a hair type coat and usually a more wooly undercoat. The undercoat may
resemble a thicker hair to a more wool type look and texture. This undercoat grows
during cool weather and will naturally shed off when warmer weather arrives.

In colder climates, some sheep may exhibit a fuller winter undercoat; however, the
undercoat should completely shed off without shearing when warm weather arrives
with the exceptions of lambs and some yearlings.

The ability of the sheep to grow and shed the undercoat, may lead to only partial
shedding for a time in various climates. A complete shedding generally occurs by May,
June or early July. The exact time for a complete and natural shedding depends on
the climate. Lambs and some yearlings may not shed totally till the next year.

Mouflon sheep may have a slight shedding of coarse guard hairs in the fall,
dependent of the climate.

The complete and natural shedding ability is important in maintaining ease of care
and a lack of such shedding may be indicative of parent breeds in the background
that are not desirable or of having wool parent breeds in the recent background.

COAT COLORS:
Variations of Brown from Fawn, Mahogany to Cinnamon with black hairs mixed in at
times. Inside of ears may take a a grayish color or be white. The underside should be
white and the area underneath the tail and surrounding the tail (the tail patch) should
also be white.

The sides may have a defined black line separating the white underside and the main
body color. This is seen especially on the rams.

Black on top of forelegs will vary in amount among individuals with cream to white on
the bottom of the legs.

Rams will display light gray to white saddle patches in winter. Saddle patches are
areas of color located in the middle of the side of the sheep and flowing over the back
as shown in the picture to the left. Winter colors may be darker with the ram
developing more black in the chest area. Ewes will not display a white saddle patch
nor develop as much black in the chest area.

The nose will show light gray to white around the nose pad. As the Ewes age, the
lighter area may spread out. As they age, rams’ winter saddle patches may brighten
from light gray to totally brilliant white also.

HERE ARE THE BREED STANDARDS FOR THE TROPHY HAIR SHEEP OF AMERICA, AND WADE, TAKE A LOOK AT THE MEMBER LIST.

http://www.trophyhairsheepofamerica.com/members.php

Mouflon
Origin:
Europe, namely Corsica, Sardinia & Cypress.
Color:
The body is varying shades of red, preferably deep red, sometimes with black smudges. The legs, tail patch and underpinnings are creamy to white with a black stripe bordering the belly white. Saddle patches are more noticeable on rams and also vary from creamy to white. The head may be badger-faced. Ewes are more drably marked. Rams have more striking color in the winter.
Disqualifications:
Sheep with horns other than heart-shaped and/or supracervical, with tails longer than 4 inches, with missing saddle patch, or with white spots of any size cannot be registered. These white spots do not include “eyespots” that sometimes appear in badger-face markings.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide