Print Thread
Have you hunted Big Thicket National Preserve? #3693364 10/26/12 03:41 AM
D
deafhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Has anyone ever hunted Big Thicket National Preserve? How is it? Any advise? Complaints? Criticisms? Anything?

Hi.
Re: Have you hunted Big Thicket National Preserve? [Re: deafhunter] #3695678 10/26/12 11:30 PM
K
KTKramer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
There is a lot that goes into hunting public land, this can be the most rewarding hunt of your life or a completely unsafe disaster.

Advise:

If you don't know the regulations, you better research and understand them. Call the park rangers and ask where you can find information and ask for advice.

If you don't have GREAT gear, I would seriously think how much you are willing to spend on it. Travel with what you NEED.

A GOOD hand held GPS, with a long battery life, is almost a must.

Get a topographic map and compass and really research where you want to hunt. Google earth helps a lot.

Super comfortable boots - waterproof a huge plus. Hunter orange camo.

Couple flashlights - have at least one with a red/green light so if you see another hunter you can flash them without disturbing game.

If you can find a buddy to go with you that makes it all the more fun and helpful.

One of those deer lugging carts/tote bags can help you move your game a hell of a lot easier than your arm with a rifle on the shoulder.

Water and a small snack. Thermocell to keep the D### mosquitoes away.

What ever makes your life easier and the most comfortable out there, invest. I researched what it would supplies I would need if I was stuck in the wild - because you just never know. Just pick out the things you feel you may need.

Hunting Advise:

Get in as early as possible. You don't have to travel ten miles to find a good spot. But it is nice post up where you want to be in the first place. Plus the earlier you get in and the longer you stay, you may be able to take advantage of other hunters moving around and pushing deer to you.

Public land hunters don't like to divulge too many of their tried and true methods. Kind of like asking a fishing guide where you should fish.

Complaints/Criticisms:

I think everyone should give public land a try for a season - really puts you verses nature.

The worst part is it's public land, so you don't OWN a spot or area. You could be sitting there, in your honey hole you've staked out, and in comes a hunter from out of no where. Just the way it is.

Good luck.

Re: Have you hunted Big Thicket National Preserve? [Re: KTKramer] #3734384 11/08/12 01:21 AM
D
deafhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I really do appreciate the advice, Mr. Kramer. Thank you very much. Also, if anyone can help, I would like to know how the hunting pressure is on Big Thicket, best times to go, maximum distance, hardwood bottomland, swampy?

Anything can help and thank you!

Hi.
Re: Have you hunted Big Thicket National Preserve? [Re: KTKramer] #5747636 05/17/15 02:12 PM
L
lee_radio Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
thanks kramer, great info! do you know if i can hunt hogs in the BIG THICKET with my .308win rifle...?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide