Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #2980599 02/02/12 04:40 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Put a thermometer to it at lunch today, temp is right at 34F. Guess it will be on for this weekend. I will smell it when I cook it.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter] #2981083 02/02/12 02:44 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Put a thermometer to it at lunch today, temp is right at 34F. Guess it will be on for this weekend. I will smell it when I cook it.

Let me know if it still tastes like duck. Because if it does, I won't bother laugh

I like duck from restaurants but that's a whole different ball game.

I am taking my freezer full of duck to a meat processor in the next week or two.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Dave Speer] #2981411 02/02/12 04:50 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Man that just sounds risky to leave them in there for so long. I understand your theory and the science behind it, I just dont personally care for the idea of leaving mine that long.

On another note, I have been breasting mine out and freezing them in Italian dressing, and I very much like this method. It is already marinated, and due to the oily dressing it thaws very fast. Plus I think they taste much better.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #2981560 02/02/12 05:51 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: kar0154
Man that just sounds risky to leave them in there for so long.

Every piece of beef you eat from the store or at a restaurant has been through an aging process.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #2981701 02/02/12 06:38 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Dave,

If you find a good place around here let me know.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: TexasEd] #2982183 02/02/12 09:46 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Good point Dave

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Dave Speer] #2982200 02/02/12 09:50 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

Every piece of beef you eat from the store or at a restaurant has been through an aging process.

not buying it Dave

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: garrett] #2983142 02/03/12 03:40 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Tried that this year during dove season. Let them set 2 to 3 days whole. Breasted them out. I was dropping the breast in a bucket that had a strong stream of water flowing the whole time to get a good rinse. Melt off the bone when cooked, plus wife said it as the best ever.

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: garrett] #2983148 02/03/12 03:41 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: garrett

not buying it Dave
ALL beef is aged before it ever leaves the meat plant.

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter] #2999206 02/09/12 04:40 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

Breasted out 6 gadwall Saturday, 7 days after bagging them and putting them in the fridge. The temp was 34F and ducks were left intact, on their back in the crisper drawers.

There was no odor while they were aging or when I removed them or while I was breasting them out, not even normal duck smell.

The breast meat seemed to come of the bone easier. I think the meat was little darker. I did soak the breast meat in salt water for about 12 hours.

I cut each breast piece in half, wrapped in bacon and added salt and pepper. Grilled at about 500F for 8 minutes. The texture of the meat seemed a little more like beef but it taste like darn good duck to me.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #2999810 02/09/12 03:15 PM
F
Fastduck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
the only negative I see of this is potentially wasting a bird due to gut juices seeping through a wound channel and ruining the meat. If I had a good specimen though, I might try it.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Fastduck] #2999966 02/09/12 04:06 PM
B
black312mag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
so i thought this was all a load of crap. Now, i need to go poach a couple to try this way cause I dont want to wait till next year

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: deckhand] #3000005 02/09/12 04:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: deckhand
Originally Posted By: garrett

not buying it Dave
ALL beef is aged before it ever leaves the meat plant.

No its not, when you age aka dry age beef you only do select cuts.

If your talking about a side of beef hanging in a very cold cooler as aging, it is not being age, just kept cold before they process it, longer it hangs more money plant looses, so it normally doesn't hang long.

You really need very low humidity to dry age.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: black312mag] #3000021 02/09/12 04:24 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My step dad grew up hunting the Chesapeake with his old man. They would hang dux in the garage for over a week before they did anything with them. And they didn't breast them, they plucked and baked them.

I sometimes do what Guy did, but most of the time my beer/game fridge is loaded so I don't have room. I usually breast them and float them in water for a week before either eating or freezing them.

Ain't dead yet...

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Fastduck] #3001343 02/10/12 12:13 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fastduck
the only negative I see of this is potentially wasting a bird due to gut juices seeping through a wound channel and ruining the meat.

That is the reason for laying them on their back, not sure how the gut juices would seep in with gravity at work. But if you got a bird shot up real good, maybe not the best to age. The ones I have been aging, some have been shot-up pretty good, with 8 or so pellets to the breast. I use kent #4, and I shoot’m close, rarely do I find pellets in the meat, they mostly go (95% of the time) strait through the breast and breast bone. I will say from the ducks I have aged, the shot-up ducks smell more than the ducks that are not shot up. Overall, aged ducks smell less, and aged ducks that are not shot up have very little smell. But I think the smell comes from the blood and blood clots in the breast meat, not the guts. I cut the meat in to 6 pieces to kabob (12 pieces per duck), this helps to get all the blood clots cleaned out of the meat, run water over it real good to get the blood clots out. Where blood clots remain, I’ll make slits in the meat and work the clots out with a knife, scrap them away. Pellet holes I make sure are all cleaned out as well from blood clots or feathers that may have got punched in there. After a thorough cleaning, I have noticed there is no smell. I then brine for 24 hrs.

Cooked these guys last night, they were ducks I shot on Thursday Jan 26th, 5 gaddys and 1 teal..

I shot these and never went home till the next day, so they sat in the ice chest for about 30 hrs before I got them to the fridge. Cleaned them on 2/7, that is 12 days aging, then 24 hrs in brine, cooked them last night pretty darn good! Just pepper, garlic salt, minced onion, and kabob it (bacon/duck/jap/duck/bacon/duck/jap etc....).

I like putting all the tenders on one kabob, they tend to cook a little faster, that is thin one in front..

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: LarryCopper] #3001370 02/10/12 12:20 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
My step dad grew up hunting the Chesapeake with his old man. They would hang dux in the garage for over a week before they did anything with them. And they didn't breast them, they plucked and baked them.

I need to get me a duck plucker, too much work plucking by hand.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #3001511 02/10/12 01:05 AM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Guy
I need to get me a duck plucker, too much work plucking by hand.

Heh, I've done that once and that was enough. They didn't have machines back then but they did have some convoluted way of waxing them that sped it up. Still seems like a lot of work.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Fastduck] #3002265 02/10/12 05:12 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
the only negative I see of this is potentially wasting a bird due to gut juices seeping through a wound channel and ruining the meat. If I had a good specimen though, I might try it.

What are these gut juices and wound channels you speak of? We are talking ducks here.

Last edited by ndhunter; 02/10/12 05:20 AM.
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: LarryCopper] #3002273 02/10/12 05:18 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I sometimes do what Guy did, but most of the time my beer/game fridge is loaded so I don't have room.

This is the only downside that I could see with the Aging method.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter] #3002308 02/10/12 05:37 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

Breasted out 6 gadwall Saturday, 7 days after bagging them and putting them in the fridge. The temp was 34F and ducks were left intact, on their back in the crisper drawers.

There was no odor while they were aging or when I removed them or while I was breasting them out, not even normal duck smell.

The breast meat seemed to come of the bone easier. I think the meat was little darker. I did soak the breast meat in salt water for about 12 hours.

I cut each breast piece in half, wrapped in bacon and added salt and pepper. Grilled at about 500F for 8 minutes. The texture of the meat seemed a little more like beef but it taste like darn good duck to me.

I would say the results for the Aging method were pretty much as described by the OP. The effort required to use the Aging method is the same as processing them fresh. I do think the meat had a different texture and color but I did not notice a big difference in the taste. The only downside that I can think of was the space issue.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter] #3003001 02/10/12 04:00 PM
A
Angus Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Guy is pretty spot on. I've been aging ducks whole (innards included) for the past 7 or 8 years, just as guy talked about...breast up in the outside fridge. I'll let them age for as long as 2 weeks. The gamey flavor is reduced significantly, although the "duck" flavor is still there, and the meat is noticeably more tender (enzymes start to break down the muscle tissue....the whole reason for aging). My wife, 2 kids, nor myself have ever gotten sick from this method.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Dave Speer] #3008243 02/12/12 09:41 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A

The standard is 9 days, but that is a carcass. No entrails involved.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #3008250 02/12/12 09:44 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: Guy
the only negative I see of this is potentially wasting a bird due to gut juices seeping through a wound channel and ruining the meat.

That is the reason for laying them on their back, not sure how the gut juices would seep in with gravity at work. But if you got a bird shot up real good, maybe not the best to age. The ones I have been aging, some have been shot-up pretty good, with 8 or so pellets to the breast. I use kent #4, and I shoot’m close, rarely do I find pellets in the meat, they mostly go (95% of the time) strait through the breast and breast bone. I will say from the ducks I have aged, the shot-up ducks smell more than the ducks that are not shot up. Overall, aged ducks smell less, and aged ducks that are not shot up have very little smell. But I think the smell comes from the blood and blood clots in the breast meat, not the guts. I cut the meat in to 6 pieces to kabob (12 pieces per duck), this helps to get all the blood clots cleaned out of the meat, run water over it real good to get the blood clots out. Where blood clots remain, I’ll make slits in the meat and work the clots out with a knife, scrap them away. Pellet holes I make sure are all cleaned out as well from blood clots or feathers that may have got punched in there. After a thorough cleaning, I have noticed there is no smell. I then brine for 24 hrs.

Cooked these guys last night, they were ducks I shot on Thursday Jan 26th, 5 gaddys and 1 teal..

I shot these and never went home till the next day, so they sat in the ice chest for about 30 hrs before I got them to the fridge. Cleaned them on 2/7, that is 12 days aging, then 24 hrs in brine, cooked them last night pretty darn good! Just pepper, garlic salt, minced onion, and kabob it (bacon/duck/jap/duck/bacon/duck/jap etc....).

I like putting all the tenders on one kabob, they tend to cook a little faster, that is thin one in front..

Oh my Lord, that looks good!

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: A.B.] #3355733 07/07/12 11:28 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ok so I just thawed out some aged duck I shot end of season, compared to duck I been thawing out shot earlier in the season and not aged, all gaddies... I can tell a big difference just in the texture of the aged duck thawed out. The meat is just much more porous.

Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy] #3356550 07/08/12 02:16 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
The answer to your problem about room to age you game food

http://www.arnoldrefrigeration.com/

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide