Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476322 Topics
6248433 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2921445 - 01/11/12 05:40 PM Aging Duck Talk....
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lake X
I never tried it, know very little about it. I heard some say it helps and some say it doesn't. So let's hear what you think, how do you do it, best way, what are some do's and don'ts etc.... I got some questions but I want to see what some of you got to say first.

Does it make the meat better?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/11/12 05:31 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#2921858 - 01/11/12 07:38 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy]
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Arlington/Brownwood
I thought we were gonna talk about how older ducks have rasppy quacks?

Originally Posted By: Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.

#2970701 - 01/29/12 04:49 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: hoof n wings]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

I been one aging duck son-of-a-gun lately...

Been aging them 5 to 7 days, just put them on their back over news paper. Then cut in cubes, clean real well, brine for 24 hours, and kabobo...

I can tell a big difference. Duck cleans easier, texture of meat is more like steak, and taste is better too. Pintail age very nice, have done a few of them. Cooked these today, pintail gadwall, shot 1/21.

You could tell big difference between pintail and gadwall. Gaddy still good, but pintail just awesome. Pintail has no smell at all after aging a week.

Here is a good artical on aging wild game, and duck. Need to keep temp between 34 and 37.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/nov/ed_3/

#2971227 - 01/29/12 08:08 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy]
ndhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
me and the ducks had a nap after the morning hunt. their nap just last a little longer. should be interesting.

guess I need to check the temp

#2971251 - 01/29/12 08:17 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy]
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor

Loc: Scroggins, TX
Originally Posted By: Guy

That was lunch today. I've been eating duck for 35 or 40 years and that was the best duck I have ever eaten. In fact, I think it's the best migratory bird I have ever eaten.

Nice job on the grill Guy!

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum

#2971310 - 01/29/12 08:37 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: J.P. Greeson]
ndhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
better than sandhill crane?

#2971412 - 01/29/12 09:13 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter]
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor

Loc: Scroggins, TX
I think if you aged sandhill crane and cooked it like this, it would be as good or better.

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum

#2971415 - 01/29/12 09:13 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: ndhunter]
DWADR Offline
Tracker

Loc: Aledo, Texas
This may be a dumb question but do the innards that have been hit with shot not leak into the meat and spoil it?

DEEP WATER DECOY/DUCK RETRIEVER
www.dwadr.com

#2971449 - 01/29/12 09:21 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: DWADR]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: dwadr.com
This may be a dumb question but do the innards that have been hit with shot not leak into the meat and spoil it?

That is the reason for keeping duck breast up (if you can hang by the neck probably better). Also there is no spoil if temp is kept between 34 and 37. I have found the duck looks better, and smells better, after aging. I'm still learning, so not claiming to be an expert...

#2971462 - 01/29/12 09:24 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy]
Dave Speer Online   content

Loc: Austin
I read an article about aging ducks last year and wanted to try it, this article said go ahead and breast them out, it's all about the time and not about the feathers/innards.

Well I made a mistake. I was afraid to get the fridge smelling like duck or the onion smell into them so I put them on a wire cooling rack in a tupperware. When I opened it 8 days later, it was the nastiest smell ever. I marinated in a recipe I really like (huckleberry, orange, chipotle) and cooked 24 hrs later. Took one bite and threw it all away.

Went back and read the article... it said make sure the ducks have air circulation. So I need to try it again. Maybe I'll prp up the tupperware lid to keep spills out and air circulating.

I bet you're not actually gaining anything by leaving them whole, just losing fridge space, but I don't really know.

Dave Speer Wildlife Art @ HuntCrafted

#2971492 - 01/29/12 09:35 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Dave Speer]
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Where the ducks are
I sometimes let them sit on the shop floor for a day or two. I like breasting them out when their body temp is cold. Seems easier to me. I always soak in water for 3-4 days before cooking the duck. I can tell a big difference between a bird that has soaked in water and one that went straight to the grill.

#2971650 - 01/29/12 10:23 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: J.P. Greeson]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted By: Guy

That was lunch today. I've been eating duck for 35 or 40 years and that was the best duck I have ever eaten. In fact, I think it's the best migratory bird I have ever eaten.

Nice job on the grill Guy!

Thx JP, that’s a real complement coming from a carnivore like you. grin

Other than what I describe above, just fresh cracked pepper and garlic salt. I'm more about preparation, and less about spice and marinades.

#2971678 - 01/29/12 10:33 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Dave Speer]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I read an article about aging ducks last year and wanted to try it, this article said go ahead and breast them out, it's all about the time and not about the feathers/innards.

Well I made a mistake. I was afraid to get the fridge smelling like duck or the onion smell into them so I put them on a wire cooling rack in a tupperware. When I opened it 8 days later, it was the nastiest smell ever. I marinated in a recipe I really like (huckleberry, orange, chipotle) and cooked 24 hrs later. Took one bite and threw it all away.

Went back and read the article... it said make sure the ducks have air circulation. So I need to try it again. Maybe I'll prp up the tupperware lid to keep spills out and air circulating.

I bet you're not actually gaining anything by leaving them whole, just losing fridge space, but I don't really know.

Dave I'm pretty sure you are one of the ones that talked to me about aging duck and got me thinking about it. Here is what you gain by leaving whole:

1) It is less work. Lets not forget this lol. And really, I don’t think it matters….
2) Important thing is get duck cool (34 to 37) as soon as possible, you want to do this whether you age or not.
3) I like to bring a cooler on my hunt, and when I get back to the truck, duck goes on ice. Unless I got a short drive home or it is already cold out side, not that big of deal, but for sure get duck to right temp ASAP.
4) But here is the deal, read article and make note of the “rigor” stage. After duck cools, it should not be processed.. So this is something I been doing wrong for a long time.... So if you are going to breast it, do it before or after rigor. But cleaning duck after it is cold, less of a mess because blood does not go everywhere. Plus I say the aged meat carves better off the bone..

#2971704 - 01/29/12 10:45 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Guy]
Dave Speer Online   content

Loc: Austin
Cool, interesting, I'll go see what I can find about the "rigor" thing...

Dave Speer Wildlife Art @ HuntCrafted

#2971735 - 01/29/12 10:56 PM Re: Aging Duck Talk.... [Re: Ridn9high]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
I always soak in water for 3-4 days before cooking the duck. I can tell a big difference between a bird that has soaked in water and one that went straight to the grill.

I have soaked duck in brine too long where it turned brown, and went bad. More than once. I think cleaning duck very well is key, feathers punched into the meat from bird shot, blood clots, etc..running fresh water over duck till water goes clear, most important... Soaking too, I'm just not sold on more than 24 hrs.. That is one reason I like to cut in cubes and kabob. Cutting duck in cubes make soaking more effective (and less time required), and cleaning meat of clots etc…much easier. Leaving breast whole makes soaking much less effective. Also no circulation with soaking, to what Dave discussed, and I think the article I posted discusses that as well…

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide