Forums46
Topics538,480
Posts9,737,545
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: chestnut] #284956 01/03/08 03:05 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Quote:

Some questions about your list:

1) Did you mean people can drink while on-stand, etc.? I could stretch to drinking after guns are put away in the evening -- but that's as far as I would go.

2) I hunt from a climbing-tree stand. I envisioned the lease being cut into equal size sections. I would have a section where I could move my stand around as long as I didn't intrude on another stand just outside my area -- unless no one was in that stand that day. I can't see how people could place stands without having preassigned areas. There'd be disputes over most-valued sites.

3) You said you wouldn't want the members telling you what you could shoot, but would be for managing -- just shooting bucks or does as necessary. Isn't that contradictory?

1. Not sure where you got the idea I was talking about drinking in the stand, but no. Seems like that would violate the first and most important club rule, Safety first.

2. I said I'd like to have two perminate stands, what I am really saying is two perminate areas. It would have a 100 yard radius. If you are going to have a mobil stand, then yea you obviously could move about your area as you see fit. You just can't move to close to someone else. If in doubt, you would need to first work it out with the other member; if you can't resolve it, the club board would need to evaluate.

3. I said I wanted the land to tell me what I could shoot. And not the club. I know some clubs have rules like you don't get to shoot a buck until you've take a doe Or you can only shoot a buck if it has 10 points,etc.

If I am on a lease with a good herd of does and bucks. I want to make the call on what I want to shoot. I may have a freezer full of meat and only want to shoot a buck.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284957 01/03/08 11:29 AM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I didn't know what you meant by drinking but I wanted everyone reading this thread to know what we were talking about. I was just told a story about a guy who was drinking whiskey while in his stand and got so plastered he shot and killed a mule! Also, I once hunted with a guy who drank 3 beers while we were riding the lease in his truck. So it does happen.

Some of the clubs I have heard about specify at least 300 yards between permanent stands -- 400 yards if on the same shooting lane.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: chestnut] #284958 01/03/08 01:16 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not meaning to throw dispersions on to what has been worked out, but there are somethings that do need to be considered.

Everything I am saying comes from first hand experience, and is directed at no one.

1. Too many people involved means too many chances for things to go wrong.

The THF is a great site, and there are lots of great folks on here, but putting together and maintaining and managing a hunting lease of any size, means that EVERYONE involved is going to have to be able to devote the exact same amount of time/money/effort.

Anyone in the group that isn't able to do such, will be treated differently by those that are, and definitely by those that are able to devote more of the three things I listed.

Again, this is a case of "Been There-Done It-Got the T Shirt".

Having scheduled work days are fine but the more people involved in such an undertaking, just means the more chances for LIFE to come along and bite people with the best intentions of being an active and contributing member, square in the arse.

2. Even though everuyone on here is great folks, time/distance/financial/social restraints are all going to play their part in working as dividing lines in keeping a large group together.

Example, two or three or more of the club members are either related, which brings a whole nuther set of issues into the picture, or are in the same social cirole and live close enough to each other to converse daily, and have known each other for a while, perhaps even before getting together on the THF.

When there is some history and rapport between a couple or a few members of a group, there is the potential for trouble built in to the equation.

3. Individual differences in philosophies on life and hunting.

As an example, the issue of drinking. Everyone views drinking differently. Some think there should be no alcohol on or around the lease, period.

Some don't have a problem with allowing alcohol after hunting is over for the day.

Safety is the main concern, but the underlying issues are that not everyone's system can handle alcohol the same way, and conversely people that drink very little or no alcohol at all, can/do/will, mis-interpret how the alcohol is effecting another person.

One person can set and put away a bunch of beer and show no visible effects. Another person will have a mild buzz after 3 cans of beer and they clearly show it in their actions and behaviors.

People that don't drink and are even slightly uncomfortable around folks that are drinking, get even more uncomfortable, and even sometimes begin acting irrationallly thinking that something is fixing to happen, when if they would just stay calm, everyone will just go to bed and no one will be the worse for wear except the person that was drinking. Some of this could be applied to people smoking in camp or on the lease also.

4. This is just my opinion of things, but the more stuff on a lease that is standardized, the better.

a. All feeders are built the same way and everyone kicks in $$$ to have them filled.

b. All blinds/stands are built the same, or at least built of one or two consistent designs, such as some stands being large enough for two people to set in, some just large enough for 1 peron.

The only exception to the above would be archery tri-pods, and those would be built in such a manner that any archer could use any of them.

There would be no exclusive stand/blind/tri-pod use. It is fine if everyone is going to be there at the same time, it is not fine if say 1 or 2 people are going to be there by themselves for a short hunt and are limited to one or two spots on the place.

c. Driving, even of 4 wheelers limited to existing roads, except for filling feeders or game retrieval.

d. When hunting, everyone in their stands by a set time both a.m. and p.m., everyone out of their stand by a set time both a.m. and p.m., unless a person is planning on hunting all day.

This would have to be flexible because say only 3 or 4 hunters are on the lease and each one of them is going to a spot pretty far apart from each other they could adjust their times.

e. All members would need to meet the landowner/leasing agent, so those folks would know who was supposed to be on the property at any time.

And the list goes on. I think a group lease or club could be created that would work, the big thing is for all members to be committed to making it work, and flexible in what they try to set up. JMO.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284959 01/04/08 01:22 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Great spreadsheet

Addded a few headings and sent it back to you for a look over. Let me know.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Crazyhorse] #284960 01/04/08 02:15 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Without a doubt you are right. But I figure if I can find somefolks looking for the samething as me, then the effort to find a lease are increased. I certainly can't afford to get on a lease by myself, nor would I want to. I can hunt WMA all over this state by myself now, and it only cost $45.

I've been in a club before and its alway nice to see a few friendly faces and share the experience.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284961 01/04/08 02:51 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't get me wrong, I hope you are able to accomplish your goal.

I just tend to be a pessimist when it comes to getting people to agree on even simple matters.

When it comes to getting folks to agree on something as complex as managing a deer lease when several hundred dollars per person is involved, with egos/pride and competitiveness lurking in the background.

I wish you the best of luck and do hope it works for you.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Crazyhorse] #284962 01/04/08 03:09 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thanks Crazyhorse, but I wouldn't call you a pessimist, more of a realist. This is difficult to find folks with the exact same belief and vaule systems. So for this to work, people are going to need to pick and choose what is really important and what isn't. Otherwise they have to continue the search on there own.

Thanks for all the input.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284963 01/06/08 11:45 PM
J
jimmiecole Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Hopeedale I just left a large company that had a very large south texas lease, I really enjoyed the times I hunted the place. It was set up with one ranch manager and had a strict set of FAIR rules. I have started thinking anout this idea of setting up a club myself. I have read all of the previous comments and agree with most of the other members view. The only thing was on the previous lease the land owner set the ranch rules. It was heavily managed and worked well. There was a kill a doe before a buck rule, and a slot on the bucks to be kill that was fair. All of the herd management was set up by a biologist from A&M. No one had a set stand and was allowed to hunt any stand. I think that this is a great idea and would be on board. I am not picky on any area of the state. Keep me in the loop on this.

Give it hell, and hope it's enough.
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: jimmiecole] #284964 01/10/08 01:03 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
ALL,

ThreePeppers has created a spreadsheet from the heading I came up with, plus a few he and another forum member thought of. He then stood up a web site, which if approved to be listed on this forum, you will be able to input your information.

Once the information is collected hunters with like ideas etc will be able to find heach other and combine their efforts to find a lease. TPWD currently offers this, but I am not to fimiliar with it, and not sure how folks are able to onnect with one another. The common thread with all of us is the membership of this site.

If JP feels the web site is close to becoming a THF number 2 site, then the plan will be to PM Threepepers, myself, and who ever else steps up to help. You will need to send your personal email, so we can send you an excel spreadsheet to fillout. At that point, you will send it back to who sent it. We will then need to consolidate it to a master sheet, and at some point send it bak to all concerned.. Many details need to be discussed on this subject, but again, its something new, and if it works, it will enhance the value, at least to me, of the THF web site.

More to come.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284965 01/10/08 02:13 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Yes, Hopedale is right. We think this will be a big benefit for everyone that is viewing this forum for the purpose of finding a lease. The problem we've identified is that no one really seems to have a large group or company that they hunt with. Most of us hunt with our immediate family or maybe a buddy or two.

This becomes a problem when you see what appears to be a good lease listing for "1200 acres, 8 guns" or "700 acres, 5 guns". Suddenly you are scrambling to think of who all you can talk to about going in on it with you. Normally by the time you get some semblance of a group together the property is already leased.

Our goal here is put you in touch with people that you would be comfortable hunting with before the lease search process starts. If this sounds like something you would be interested in just send me a PM or you can e-mail me directly at trey@tyl4u.com. If you have any problems with the e-mail try the PM. We have a pretty strong spam filter on our e-mail server.

Once I hear from you I can either send you an Excel spreadsheet or direct you to a website where you can fill in an online questionnaire. Keep in mind, there is no charge for this. We are not looking to make money by doing this. For me, it is strictly a selfish venture. I want to find good people for me and my son to hunt with, period. I figure by helping others I will help myself.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284966 01/10/08 02:31 PM
K
kaptinkrunch1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I could be intrested in something like this as well.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284967 01/11/08 04:25 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Yes, Hopedale is right. We think this will be a big benefit for everyone that is viewing this forum for the purpose of finding a lease. The problem we've identified is that no one really seems to have a large group or company that they hunt with. Most of us hunt with our immediate family or maybe a buddy or two.

This becomes a problem when you see what appears to be a good lease listing for "1200 acres, 8 guns" or "700 acres, 5 guns". Suddenly you are scrambling to think of who all you can talk to about going in on it with you. Normally by the time you get some semblance of a group together the property is already leased.

Our goal here is put you in touch with people that you would be comfortable hunting with before the lease search process starts. If this sounds like something you would be interested in just send me a PM or you can e-mail me directly at [Email]trey@tyl4u.com.[/Email] If you have any problems with the e-mail try the PM. We have a pretty strong spam filter on our e-mail server.

Once I hear from you I can either send you an Excel spreadsheet or direct you to a website where you can fill in an online questionnaire. Keep in mind, there is no charge for this. We are not looking to make money by doing this. For me, it is strictly a selfish venture. I want to find good people for me and my son to hunt with, period. I figure by helping others I will help myself.

This is a fantastic idea, one of my hunting buddies were talking about this an hour ago. Most of what we're seeing is larger acreage and we got spoiled hunting 200 acres per hunter in Val Verde county years ago. PM Sent

" In God We Trust "

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: HuntingTexas] #284968 01/11/08 06:53 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
e-mail and pm sent

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284969 01/12/08 04:00 PM
B
bill270 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I am interested in Hill and Cross Timbers, I am looking for a lease that is family friendly and can accompany 4 hunters with guests allowed even if it takes away from one of your tags. I am not opposed to drinking after a hunt around camp, but do believe that there does need to be rules and regulations to everyone on the lease, I like to bow and rifle hunt. If anyone that reads this post knows of a lease that can comply to what I am looking for, please email me at fritz_bill@yahoo.com

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: bill270] #284970 01/12/08 08:46 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Bill, thanks for joining in. I sent you an e-mail. If have any problems receiving it send me a PM.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284971 01/12/08 08:49 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I sent you a pm.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: batman] #284972 01/12/08 08:59 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
just sent you an e-mail.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284973 01/12/08 09:39 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I filled out the spreadsheet and the website. I don't know if the email document took my data. Also, is this a business or are you just doing this to help others and yourselves find a lease?

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: batman] #284974 01/12/08 10:52 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
He just started up the website and spreadsheet in response to this thread and the fact that after a week or so I posted that it was going nowhere -- as all these threads do. So Threepeppers picked up the ball and ran with it!

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: chestnut] #284975 01/12/08 11:25 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Great, thanks

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: batman] #284976 01/13/08 02:30 AM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Batman - I did get your info e-mailed to me. I get an automatic repsonse when anyone fills out the questionnaire on the website.

Bill270 - I got an e-mail reply from you but there was nothing there. It was just a copy of the e-mail I sent you.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284977 01/13/08 08:44 PM
H
hellofahog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
threepeppers,

just wanted to find out about this hunting lease sreadsheet you are talking about and put my name out there.

My name is Gabriel. I work offshore and most of the time i don't have access to the internet when i'm out here working. I even forgot my login name for the THF website it's been so long since i've logged in. I finally got in again and should be on for another month off and on. I of course went directly to THF as i'm looking for a lease just like everybody else and there mama.... ANYWAY...

I live in Corpus Christi so South Texas would be my preferred area to hunt but would go to the hill country with great relish.

I don't really drink but don't mind anybody else if its in moderation and they aren't hugging me and telling me they love me at two in the morn.

I hunt with a bow and just bought one for my wife( i would love to get her into the whole hunting scene) so allowing a guest would be a must.

my greatest pashion is walking up to a troop of bacon with my brush gun so hunting with a rifle would be a great plus.

I have two babies in diapers so a famly environment would be great during the off-season.

I have definatley done my part of the whole upkeep of a lease before so i don't mind sharing the chores. (emphasis on SHARING.)

I understand if a place needs to be managed but allow me to find and chase at least one good buck and a managed buck a year. plenty of does and unlimited hogs.

I will set up my own feeders and blinds but am willing to share with anybody else if they put the same effort into there own and share alike.

I am willing to pay up to $1200.00 for the dues but only because i always invest at least that much in feed and am willing to sign a contract making me put my money into the feed and upkeep of the place. I am willing to pay more if someone else has a better deal on feed than i can find and will buy it there.

well i think i got everything but probably forgot something.

gabriel

Here PIGGY, PIGGY, PIGGY!
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: hellofahog] #284978 01/14/08 01:38 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I believe all PM's and e-mails have been returned to those interested. It appears we are growing by the day. Keep spreading the word and hopefully we can start making some connections. I know I have already seen profiles for members that I'm interested in contacting.

I'm thinking as we keep increasing in numbers trying to arrange some kind of lunch or dinner setting to meet everyone face to face. It seems there will be a few groups - D/FW, SE Texas/Houston, Austin/San Antonio, etc.

I will keep sending out an updated spreadsheet every Friday. If you see anyone that you feel you might want to share a hunting camp with please start contacting them.

Trey

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284979 01/15/08 01:47 AM
B
bill270 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I filled out the questionaire and submitted it, if there is any problems please email me at fritz_bill@yahoo.com

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: bill270] #284980 01/15/08 02:09 AM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I did get the information. Were you able to open the spreadsheet I sent you the other day?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide