Delicious! food

don't think so barf

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: passthru] #2672734 10/18/11 05:41 PM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If you ever get a chance to see a National Geographic Documentary call "Hog Genius" this will show what I reference Feral hog charactoristics. A domestic hog with completely change his snout bone structure to elongate the bone in his snout to strengthen his rootin abilities in the wild and brought back in to a domestic set will restructure his snout to become more domestic looking. Below is the only section I could find that refered to this transition.

watched a NGC special on hogs this morning. It was titled Hog Genius and gave the history of hogs/pigs. It gave a lot of detail on the changes a hog goes through when it goes wild (feral). Good insight for the hog hunters out there.
One of the more interesting things is that a pigs skull actually changes once it goes wild (kind of a shovel head) and can even go back to a scooped snout when it is domesticated again.

This was the characteristic of a feral hog that i was talking about and the hair coat becomes heavier and coarse when the become feral.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: 7mag] #2672741 10/18/11 05:43 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Originally Posted By: passthru
Delicious! food

don't think so barf

Castrated and corn fed? You aint never raised pigs friend.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: passthru] #2672750 10/18/11 05:46 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
but this is a feral swine Gary

[Linked Image]
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #2672846 10/18/11 06:09 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
If you ever get a chance to see a National Geographic Documentary call "Hog Genius" this will show what I reference Feral hog charactoristics. A domestic hog with completely change his snout bone structure to elongate the bone in his snout to strengthen his rootin abilities in the wild and brought back in to a domestic set will restructure his snout to become more domestic looking. Below is the only section I could find that refered to this transition.

watched a NGC special on hogs this morning. It was titled Hog Genius and gave the history of hogs/pigs. It gave a lot of detail on the changes a hog goes through when it goes wild (feral). Good insight for the hog hunters out there.
One of the more interesting things is that a pigs skull actually changes once it goes wild (kind of a shovel head) and can even go back to a scooped snout when it is domesticated again.

This was the characteristic of a feral hog that i was talking about and the hair coat becomes heavier and coarse when the become feral.

We can agree to disagree. Over many generations, from both interbreeding and adaptations, hogs will change their snout. There is no way a pig will change his bone structure depending on whether he is in a pen or not. A hog cannot just decide to have a longer snout anymore than you can. I don't get webbed feet if I swim more, not do I get wings if I flap my arms.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Justin T] #2672848 10/18/11 06:10 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Justin T

We can agree to disagree. Over many generations, from both interbreeding and adaptations, hogs will change their snout. There is no way a pig will change his bone structure depending on whether he is in a pen or not. A hog cannot just decide to have a longer snout anymore than you can. I don't get webbed feet if I swim more, not do I get wings if I flap my arms.

This man is correct.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: cameron00] #2672861 10/18/11 06:13 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'm referring to Justin T, in case that was confusing.

A hog doesn't change its physical characteristics just because it escapes (is feral). That's completely false.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: cameron00] #2672905 10/18/11 06:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That hog may have been feral a week. But I would lay odds he was still being slopped.

NRA Life Member
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: cameron00] #2672915 10/18/11 06:29 PM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
No animal can change its bone structure to adapt. A species can change over time through natural selection but no single animal can change itself like that.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: passthru] #2672924 10/18/11 06:31 PM
P
possom813 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
This was posted on TexasBoars last week and one of the members there(hogcaller) sent this email to KSWO Channel 7, and the response he received.

I can neither confirm or deny

Edit to add the link to the video

http://www.kswo.com/category/168869/7-ne...redirected=true

Originally Posted By: hogcaller
I even went as far as sendin Channel 7 an email:

I saw the story of the 760 lbs hogzilla and couldn't help but notice a few flaws in information. I have hunted wild hogs for over 15 years and raise commercial hogs for show almost all of my life. I also have a pre-vet/animal science degree from Texas Tech University and I am an Ag/Science teacher at a local high school. First off, the hog pictured is 100% pure hampshire which is a domestic swine breed. It has a very distinct white belt and black body. Furthermore, the head on a doemstic hog consists of a shorter snout, which this hog possesses. Wild hogs through genetic evolution have a longer snout and dished bottom jaw. This helps them dig and root in the wild for food. Domestic hogs don't have this because the are farm raised and do not have to root for food. The hog pictured clearly has a short snout. Secondly, you reported that farm raised pigs have had their teeth clipped and do not grow tusks. Wrong again! Baby pigs' needle teeth are cut to prevent them from injuring the mother's tetes and keep them from chewing the other pigs tails and ears. As the hog matures the baby teeth are shed and they grow new teeth. I have the skull of a domestic hog that my family raised that died at 4 years of age. As a baby this hog's teeth were clipped.......the skull has huge cutters. So, your statement holds no water! The bottom line is that this pig was more than likely released into the wild from a farm. Wild hogs just don't get this big in our area because there isn't that much to eat. I hope this clears up some of the falsities in your story.

And the reply from Channel 7

Originally Posted By: Channel 7
Hi from 7News...yes, we are looking at the other side of the story, as a neighbor called to say the hog was from her property nearby, trying to talk with authorites in Grady County about taking reports they have taken at the property, will try to present the other side soon! Thanks for your expertise and lending it to us--stay tuned!

Last edited by possom813; 10/18/11 06:34 PM.

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: rsquared] #2672931 10/18/11 06:33 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rsquared
that looks suspiciously like a farm hog that escaped

specifically, it looks just like the hampshire hogs i used to raise..

Yup....what he said....IMO "professional Hog hunting" opinion, this is confused2 bs

I believe we should consult.....THE DOCTOR...Oh...Doctor? Paging Dr. Jones....Dr. DJones please come to the bs area!!!! Dr. Jones!!!? rofl cheers

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Mr. Clean] #2672937 10/18/11 06:34 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Told ya they shot Wilbur!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: 7mag] #2672945 10/18/11 06:37 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Like I said "Delicious" food

NRA Life Member
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: passthru] #2673060 10/18/11 07:10 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
Originally Posted By: rsquared
that looks suspiciously like a farm hog that escaped

specifically, it looks just like the hampshire hogs i used to raise..

Yup....what he said....IMO "professional Hog hunting" opinion, this is confused2 bs

I believe we should consult.....THE DOCTOR...Oh...Doctor? Paging Dr. Jones....Dr. DJones please come to the bs area!!!! Dr. Jones!!!? rofl cheers

Classic!! LMAO!!!! rofl

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Armalite260] #2673387 10/18/11 08:54 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
ok gents, i got the page. need to clear up a couple of things first...

Originally Posted By: RandyWood
I don't see any nads so it was touched by humans some time in the past. That would make it larger I would think.
There are several people here on the thf that could be guilty of touching this pig's nads. You know who you are and I expect one of you to either fess up or "finger" the guilty party.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I love people that don't understand what "feral" means.

If that pig was in the wild on its own when it was shot, it was, by definition, feral.

There is no such thing as a "feral characteristic".
cameron got it right, however, that leads us to the question, what is "in the wild". That, as defined in the thf rulebook, means..."any pig that is outside of the pen...". There is a caveat to the general rule, however, which translates to... if the gate to the pen is open, that constitutes "constructively feral", which means even if he didn't exit the pen, he could have, and therefore may be shot in the faaaace inside the pen and still be considered feral. Just drag him outside as quickly as possible and for God's sake don't take any pics of him inside the pen.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: cameron00] #2673443 10/18/11 09:08 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There is no such thing as a "feral characteristic".

Wrong! EastTXHunter300 exhibits feral characteristics when in Dallas. So I hear...

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: cameron00] #2673760 10/18/11 11:01 PM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Justin T

One of the more interesting things is that a pigs skull actually changes once it goes wild (kind of a shovel head)
and can even go back to a scooped snout when it is domesticated again.

This man is correct.

I love this forum. I only have faith that National Geographic Documentary personel did there homework, I will agree to disagree until i can verify what was reported in the segment. I obviousley (sp} wasnt the only person to hear this.I have raised alot of hogs in my lifetime and it was a shocker to me to hear that the could adapt to being feral and grow a longer snout for rooting to survive in the woods. But even more surprized when the statement was made that they could adapt back to a shorter snout if put back in a domestic surroundings.
Thanks i have enjoyed milkin this guys great adventure...as 7mag says shootin Wilbur lol444

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: bjankowski] #2674796 10/19/11 03:36 AM
R
redriverpigger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: bjankowski

Originally Posted By: trapperjustin
Domestic hog gone wild . Has to be

My sister-in-law from Oklahoma told me about it yesterday, I told her the same thing. No way a feral hog can get that big in the wild, unless someone trapped it and poured the feed to it and shot it in a pen.

Agreed! I can remember reading somewhere that it take a pig app. 5 generations to begin showing all of the ferel instincts.
They have to learn and then teach their offspring how to forage and survive.

I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy!
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: redriverpigger] #2674825 10/19/11 03:43 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
that pig was fresh out the pen! if not he would have lost weight like no other in the wild! probably would have have killed by other wild pigs! no matter what his weight!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: TAT] #2677138 10/19/11 11:11 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
If they get out of the pen while they are young and their bones are still soft, they can turn into "postoak rooters" as Grandpaw used to call them.
He used to also say you could bury a coke standing up and they could drink to the bottom with their long snout...may he rest in peace!

Probably more from not getting the required fat producing foods as they don't have mom's milk, feed trough or slop and getting "skinny" from trying to survive.
As an adult hog, I find it hard to believe they can change back and forth and it's probably a gain or loss of fatty tissue on their skull as they eat better in a pen and not so good as ferals.

No matter, that's a big ole pig!

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Vern1] #2677246 10/19/11 11:53 PM
A
Aboud Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Don't know about y'all but I woulda shot him if I was in a tree and he walked by. That is if I hadn't already seen the MISSING sign on the corner telephone pole.the hunter obviously admitted that he suspected it was domestic so why all the fuss.

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: KWood_TSU] #2677252 10/19/11 11:55 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Looks like something I would shoot and just SSS. JMHO.

Well, that might require too much shoveling, so I would have to borrow my neighbors backhoe.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Curtis] #3657679 10/14/12 01:55 AM
W
WnJBrown Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Okay, now a year has passed, and the opinions have varied on this story. I am not a collage grad nor am I an idiot. I have hunted for about thirty years, but it has been deer, bobcats, dove, coyotes, and hogs. I do have my facts. 1-Feral is this in Oklahoma Feral hogs are defined as any hogs, including Russian and European wild boar, which are running at large and whose owners are unknown. In the case where the hog's owner is known, the hog will be defined as feral five days after escaping confinement. If notice is provided to adjacent landowners within those five days, the hog shall not be considered feral for an additional 10 days. That is straight off of their site. 2-It had it "boys"! No casturation...the pictures show them. 3-It's clean in the pictures because I washed the blood and stinch off, would you like to see those pictures. The cutters are in tact, no notched ears and hair is thick and coarse. This corn fed piggy was on his way to my deer feeder, so you can say he's corn fed. For those who would pictures to solve their questions, just asked. I hunt for enjoyment and a hog this size is a danger and destructive. If hogs weren't a problem in our area why has hog hunting grown so fast, why are farmers in this area signing on to a directory that matches the farmers with hog hunters to help with the problem. Everyone has an opinion. Wild/Feral hogs come in ALL colors, brown and black are the most common, but they come in all colors. I haven't heard of anyone claiming it to be their pet or even missing one and I'm sure one like this they would have been trying to find and with it making the news I think I would have been contacted, but one never knows. But I know that several farmers around this area had a problem with hogs, but in the last year it's gotten alot better. I have learned alot about hogs over the past year...and honestly I can say, true hunters hunt for sport. I was in my stand deer hunting that morning not hog hunting, and that hog was huge, with the fog I thought at first it was a cow. We did weigh it in, at the local co-op, the truck gas tank was topped off about three blocks from the co-op before weighing with the hog and before weighing without. That way we got an accurate weight. And the local game warden was called out. I have enjoyed the past year and the good and bad comments. But for those who want to see the hog for themselves, go to Sutherlands in Lawton, OK. the head is displayed there. Make your own decision. Also, we did send off a 4x4 patch cut from the back for testing. We are still waiting for the info on it. Any other questions send me and e-mail I'll do my best answers any questions and if I have a picture of what is in question I will send it to you. Thanks, Winston

Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: Aboud] #3657691 10/14/12 01:59 AM
W
WnJBrown Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
And the comment I made was "it could have been domestic at one time." please quote me correctly if you would like to try and repeat my words. I wasn't there when he was conceived or when he was born, and no one seems to know where he came from.

Last edited by WnJBrown; 10/14/12 02:01 AM. Reason: completed
Re: 765 lb Hog killed in Oklahoma [Re: WnJBrown] #3657714 10/14/12 02:07 AM
W
WnJBrown Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Sorry forgot to give e-mail WnJnParadise@yahooo.com. thanks again.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide