6031980 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2607919 - 09/24/11 07:44 PM Caprock Canyons SP
shooter5656 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: McCulloch
My son and I were drawn for the December mule deer hunt there. I have necer been there, so could anyone offer some advice about where and how to hunt there? We were drawn first out of 8 spots, so how lucky were we?

#2607936 - 09/24/11 07:49 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: shooter5656]
Offshore_Life Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Bullard, Texas/ Hunt in Ozona
that'll be an awesome hunt. Pretty lucky bud.

#2608020 - 09/24/11 08:44 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: Offshore_Life]
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas Panhandle
Congratulations!!!!!!!

#2608085 - 09/24/11 09:24 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: Lotto]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
You lucky dog! That's the hunt I put in for this year. Can't offer any advice but good luck! Hope you both shoot a bigun!

“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#2608096 - 09/24/11 09:30 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: Palehorse]
stxranchman Online   content
Obie Juan Kenobi

welcome Congrats! I have put in a couple of times in the past for a hunt there.

#2608181 - 09/24/11 10:11 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: stxranchman]
shooter5656 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: McCulloch
Thanks everyone for the congrats. This will be a fun one for sure. There was a posting a while back about hunting there, but I haven't found it again. I was wondering when the rut was for that area? Seems like someone said the best areas were around the headquarters. Just trying to get a littlr info. Thanks again.

#2608718 - 09/25/11 09:59 AM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: shooter5656]
Sniper John Online   happy
gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
I have hunted Aoudad there. I saw "several" Mule Deer during my pre scouting and during my hunt. I'm not aware of any one area better than another. It can be a very western style hunt. Open with canyons. Think of Palo Duro Canyon type terrain. Take a good pair of binoculars. In open terrain I often saw a Deer or two bedded down by a single small tree or bush during the day.

#2608781 - 09/25/11 10:18 AM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: shooter5656]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Originally Posted By: Ricky Crawford
I was wondering when the rut was for that area?

They will be rutting when you get there. Here is a link to an article from TPWD about Texas mule deer, what they eat, when they rut, biology, ect. It really helped me last year. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0303.pdf

“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#2608866 - 09/25/11 11:03 AM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: Palehorse]
JPayne Offline
Light Foot

I grew up there and still hunt about 10 miles from there. I have seen some monsters in the park, the mule deer almost always rut right after season, near first of Jan. I would suggest the far NE corner of the park, there is a neighboring property that always plants wheat and he draws a lot of big bucks to that area. With the lack of rain, it may not be the spot to be this year though. I would check it out for sure. Be patient, there are some monsters in there!!

#2608955 - 09/25/11 11:31 AM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: JPayne]
don k Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bandera, Tx
My son and I did not get drawn but good luck to you and have a safe and enjoyable hunt.

#2609152 - 09/25/11 01:35 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: don k]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
Two years ago my son and I were invited to hunt a ranch a few miles southwest of Estelline,we both shot bucks,his was bigger antler wise, mine had a bigger body.They were in full rut,hocks were just nasty.Both were running their harems.CCSP should be awesome,good luck.

#2610131 - 09/25/11 08:48 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: Erathkid]
bp3 Online   content
Pro Tracker

I agree with J.P.Payne on the timing of the rut. Hunted south of Palo Duro park for a few years and you would see small 18-20 inchers on the wheat fields with the does, but they were just hoping.In mid to late Dec. is when the big boys show up after the season is over.We saw some 30 inch monsters then { dumber than a run over dog}@ 100 yards.We were told the reason the season is so early is wardens could work the deer season then be able to cover the pheasant season. I have hunted the rockies and taken some big deer there,but it is amazing what comes out of the Palo Duro canyon when the rut kicks in.

#2610307 - 09/25/11 09:25 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: bp3]
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: McKinney, TX
Congrats on the draw and good luck. I have camped/hiked there a few times and have seen some nice bucks in the park.

#2610378 - 09/25/11 09:38 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: bp3]
TBHShane Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Abilene, TX
I grew up near there, and I used to hunt a couple of ranches a few miles from the park and bordering the park. I take it you drew in the adult hunt in mid-December. They'll be rutting by then, so that will help. If it doesn't rain soon, there won't be any wheat fields on the neighbors. Just find the does, and the bucks will find you. They get really stupid in the rut.

My son drew the #1 permit for the youth hunt at the end of December, so we'll be hunting there this year too. It's been a long time since I hunted up there, so we're really looking forward to it.

Be prepared for a real hunt in really ROUGH country. If you kill one, you will probably be packing him up and down some rugged and steep canyon country, unless you get lucky enough to kill one on a flat trail close to a road. You could see a big one just about anywhere in the park. I don't think there is a bad area to hunt. A few (very few) spots might be a little easier to hike in and out of. The vast majority of that country is just incredibly rugged.

Take some good optics, get a good vantage point and glass a lot. When you've glassed everything and found nothing, then carefully move to another vantage point. Don't silhouette yourself on the skyline. Stay just below the top of the hill you're on, and stay in front of or behind some brush to break up your outline. Stay in the shade as much as possible. Try to keep the sun at your back if you can. If you spot a shooter, it's best if you have a buddy that can stay put and glass while you drop down for a stalk. Plan your route before you take off. Use hand signals with your buddy to keep up with the deer and his movements.

Don't shoot unless you REALLY want him, because it will turn into work real fast after you pull the trigger.

#2610555 - 09/25/11 11:00 PM Re: Caprock Canyons SP [Re: TBHShane]
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: N. Tx.
Pencil Pusher is right on. Be prepared to hike and hike alot. I hunted Auodad there in 08' and saw the biggest Mule Deer I have ever seen. i was up on a trail on top when I saw him. He was on the same trail. When I hunted there they did not offer any hog hunts but encouraged us to shoot hogs. I could have shot several but I was busy looking for sheep. They were all over the place even up on the sides of the cliffs. I actually hit one with a big rock. I was hiking up and could hear the hogs close to me. I went a little further and found that they were all around me and didnt know I was there (oh yeah, be prepared for crazy wind). I thought I would see if I could get a small one with a rock. I found a good fist size rock as there are plenty of rocks and I picked out a out a 60 lb hog kind of parlelling me nosing the dirt. I got about 5' from it and gave it my all. I think I would have killed it but I hit it in the neck and just missed its head. The hog squealed and the brush came alive with pigs running everywhere like an epic Djones tyraid minus the dead pigs.

Anyways, you have a good tag. It gets cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table there in early January so be prepared for cold.

If you want some more info send me a pm.
Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide