475697 Topics
6240184 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2378161 - 06/19/11 04:33 PM Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency
a/c man Offline
Green Horn

Everyone needs to stay away from Thundercloud Marketing. It's a hunting outfitter/leasing agent and the guy's real name is John Steven Thornell, aka John Steven, aka Steve Thornell, aka John Thornell. He just scammed myself and another hunter, and found out that he scammed another group out of the Ft. Worth area. He lives(I think) in Austin, at least that's where his business is addressed. He operates alot in Young & Archer County. I was told that the authorities in Archer County are after him. STAY AWAY! If anyone has any info of his whereabouts please let me know so that I can give it to the proper authorities.

#2378221 - 06/19/11 05:15 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: a/c man]
batman Offline
Tracker

A few years back I met him in Archer County to look at a lease. The place looked like sorry deer hunting and my gut told me "something ain't right with this dude". So, no money was exchanged. I have learned to listen to my gut, the hard way. Hope you get your problem resolved and the authorities catch up to him.

#2378608 - 06/19/11 08:26 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: batman]
Feather Burner Offline

This happened to me 2 years ago on a place I leased from this clown in Concho county. He still owes the land owner money for the lease.

Edited by Feather Burner (06/19/11 08:27 PM)

#2378704 - 06/19/11 09:04 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Feather Burner]
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: El Paso Texas
He emailed me a bunch of times offering to sell my hunts for me and guaraneed he would sell them. Just wanted to know how much and the location. That was it! I found that quite fishy and didnt go through with it.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

#2379014 - 06/19/11 11:13 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: mulie_mike]
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Tyler, Tx
Google the company and you will see some bad stuff. Wonder why this guy isn't in the pen yet.

#2379397 - 06/20/11 09:22 AM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Chuck McDonald]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX
I had a lease with Thundercloud last year and it mostly went well until Steve told me not to go back out after April Turkey because he had fight with land owner. My lease was supposed to run until end of August. All explained here.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2247880/Re_owner_v_lease_manager_v_me

Steve offered me another place by Olney that was his lease for day hunters, but he offered to share it for the year. He just let me know Saturday that fell through too.

1) Although infrequent when Steve gets in touch with me, I have still been in contact by email and phone (his phone number changed last month).

2) I haven't paid any money for the coming year, I had sent him two checks, but he never cashed them at least. My main concern is getting my stuff ($5,000 worth) off the old lease. I met the land owner once as he checked on me, but I don't know his name or number. I have asked Steve for this info, but haven't heard back. Please let me know if anyone knows the land owner SW of Lake Cooper N. of Olney where my stuff is or any authorities I can call to retrieve my stuff.

FYI Steve has never done me wrong except some lack of communication and my lease ending March instead of August this year. I have seen the other reports on the internet, there is a few page thread on this forum somewhere from last year.

3) I need a new lease! I will post a thread in this section now with my requirements. thanks.

#2379438 - 06/20/11 09:44 AM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Rob Lay]
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Washington County
I would go git my $5,000 worth of flush and bolt

Take enough people with you that one trip and your ouuta there.

#2379502 - 06/20/11 10:09 AM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Rockinmyshoe]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
I would go git my $5,000 worth of flush and bolt

Take enough people with you that one trip and your ouuta there.

The land owner hasn't done me wrong and I don't know him, don't know his name or number. I believe I need to at least talk to him before I go on the land.

#2379701 - 06/20/11 11:52 AM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Rob Lay]
Rustler Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Carrollton/ Young, Blanco coun...
The Sheriffs dept and or Game warden may know who owns the land, call both and explain what's going on they may be able to help.

If I were in your situation I'd go retrieve my stuff asap.
If the landowner shows up while you're there removing your property introduce yourself and explain the situation have the contract with you in case he wants to take a look.

#2379832 - 06/20/11 01:16 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Rustler]
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker

Lesson #1 never lease any property without meeting the landowner and getting his contact info.

#2379847 - 06/20/11 01:23 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Chuck McDonald]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Lesson #1 never lease any property without meeting the landowner and getting his contact info.

it sounded reasonable because Steve was leasing 5000+ acres with 10 or so different tracts with 2-8 guns each from this land owner. the contract was very clear about not bothering or contacting the land owner. if I was the land owner and contracted to a lease manager I wouldn't want to be contacted all the time by 50 different hunters for every little thing, that's what the manager was getting paid for.

When things go South though it doesn’t seem smart and I’m in this situation now. I don’t think it will be too hard to work with land owner.

#2380093 - 06/20/11 03:40 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Rob Lay]
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wise County
I have a buddy who went through some trouble with this clown. I had a conversation with him last year and just could tell from the phone I wanted no part of this jack wagon. He was trying to convince me that things were going a new direction in leasing land and basically wanted me to sign a contract I wasn't going to be comfortable with. I am not surprised by this post.

Chuck, it would be nice if all the land owners were accessible.

#2380120 - 06/20/11 03:58 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: Leonardo]
jackcountyhunter Offline
Tracker

I hunted with Steve about 7 years ago on a day hunt for hogs out of Archer City. When i talked with him he was based out of the Abilene area.

#2380480 - 06/20/11 06:50 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: a/c man]
a/c man Offline
Green Horn

Well I can't say that he scammed me now because I got my money back today. But, the huge trouble that he has put me through now and all the hard work for nothing, when he knowingly leased this property to me after the landowner told him that he was not going to use him again. And yes, I located the actual landowner and spoke to him, so these are facts. Now I have to jump off my [censored] and find another lease. It shouldn't be this complicated and stressful to try to enjoy hunting. All I want is a long term deer lease where I can take my wife and teach her and just enjoy hunting. Still, beware of Thundercloud!

#2380746 - 06/20/11 08:35 PM Re: Beware of Thundercloud Marketing leasing agency [Re: a/c man]
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker

YOu don't have to be buddy buddy with the lanf owner, but you should know who he is and have contact info for him. Your on his land, I can think of alot of reasons why it would be wise for you to contact him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide