Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! #14730 01/17/05 02:53 AM
T
TheHag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I have been dancing around waiting for the site to get back up so that I could let you guys know the outcome of the hunt we had with Jay.

It was a challenge for not just us, but for Jay! He has a set up that his brother-in-law made for him. It consists of a bench rest sighting in vise, a fishing rod holder cut out into a wooden table top mounted to his chair, a ball joint from a car, some pipe and several tightening devices, including bungy straps. The trigger is activated by Jay sucking into a tube. It was awesome and took some time to get all set up.

We started Saturday morning in one of the blinds I had built for him close to the cabin. Well, much to our disappointment nothing came out that morning. Next stop, a big breakfast and planning for the afternoon hunt. I had another blind (at my personal feeder I bow hunt) that I really wanted Jay to hunt at. It's a very rough ride with large rocks and washouts. So, his van with the lift was unable to make the trip, due to low ground clearance. We brought our dove tailed tailer with a fold down ramp to try out, just in case it might work. Sure enough, with ratchet straps and two men riding with him on the trailer, he made the trip in grand style. Jay was riding like a king around the ranch.

The funny thing about the trailer thing is that I've had it for sell since October. For some reason, a few people that said they definitely wanted to buy it, never showed up to get it. I have to think that there was a lot of help from above that had me keeping that trailer for this very reason. There was also a lot of help from above in making this entire trip come together like it was written from some great hunting success book!

I have my feeder set for a noon feeding. So, we were able to load up and drive across the ranch, get set up and get Jay ready before the noon feeding. The feeder went off and within 10 minutes we had a doe standing at the feeder. Now, for some strange reason my knowledge of a semi-auto rifle was tucked back in my brain and not available for reference. I had let the slide load the bullet very quietly and slowly, so as to not spook any deer in the area. When the doe came out, Jay was able to get on her and sucked on the straw. NOTHING happened! After a quick check of all the systems, everything was hooked up great, but the mechanical trigger wasn't firing the shell. So, Jay does it again and again, and again and again with nothing happening. I thought he was going to hyperventilate by the time my brain started working and I knew I had to load the shell again with the slide having all it's force. I pulled back the slide and let it slam shut. Man was that loud! To me at least. It sounded like a bowling ball hitting the pins in the alley as quite as it was out there! All this time the doe is standing there watching me run around behind the blind trying to fix things. Jay said, "Is it ready" and the second I said yes, the rest of the word yes was obliterated by the sound of that 30-06 roaring. After a short tracking job, we found a doe with a shoulder shot!

We did the picture thing, a lot of hugs, high 5's (As Jay told me "High 5 elbows") a lot of hooping and hollering, a few tears were shed and we then went back to the cabin for lunch. The next feeding was at 4:00. So, we are back there again that afternoon. After only a few minutes, turkey seemed to appear out of everywhere. Jay had never seen wild turkey before, so he got to watch as 30 or 40 turkey fed in front of him for over 45 minutes. At 5:00, Jay whispered to me, "there's a deer"! I looked up to see a spike coming through the clearing out past the feed pen. We didn't know that a couple of 7 pointers had stopped behind some trees and were watching as the spike was checking out the area until the guys in the tower blind told us later. It stopped out at about 75 yards and Jay asked me if the switch (an electrical transfer switch that turned everything on) was on. I said, "yea...." BOOM! He didn't even let me finish! I watched as a DRT (Dead Right There) spike hit the ground. I was jumping up and down with joy. I asked him where he was aiming and he said, "At his head!" I told him he was getting a little cocky with his earlier success! He had hit that spike in the neck, just below the jaw. Talk about a great shot!!!!

Two deer in less than 5 hours apart!!! His freezer will be full with those great tasting deer steaks now!

We were able to get all of this on my video camera, complete with wireless microphones to capture every minute of the hunt. Willie filmed the entire hunt from my tall box blind that overlooked everything.

I want to thank TOO (Willie of Texas Outdoor Organizers) ( http://www.outdoorstexas.com/pages/1/index.htm ), Double Drop Tine (Ted), Jay's brother-in-law (Don) for bringing Jay, Mrs Hag for all her help and for being my loving and supporting wife and to Sportsman's Warehouse. The insulated coveralls and tobogon they donated were perfect. Jay loved them and he definitely needed them. Without coveralls, Jay wouldn't have been able to stay out there in that North wind. Without even just one of the volunteers that I listed, this wouldn't have happened. I can't express enough gratitude to each of you with just words!!! They are all top notch in my book!!!

All I can say is that it was an awesome experience that I will never forget. My hat's off to everyone and especially to Jay for not giving up on life, having a dream and doing what he could to make that dream come true!

[img]
http://s411.photobucket.com/user/ImJat2/media/2004hunt-Jay-Donnie-Willie.jpg[/img]

[img]
http://s411.photobucket.com/user/ImJat2/media/2008hunt.jpg[/img]

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 11/19/14 06:06 PM.
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14731 01/17/05 04:33 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Congratulations Jay!!! Thank you so much for sharing the story of Jay's hunt with us Hag, you are a true gentleman! You guys are awesome and I'm proud to be in your company as a hunter.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: Bonehead] #14732 01/17/05 07:42 PM
T
TexasRed Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Now.... thats what this forum is all about
Congrats to you Jay...

Hey Hag......Sounds like you got the special kinda fever that can only be cured by helping the Challenged hunter

Thanks for your efforts and check out our site....maybe something can happen with all of us

www.challengedoutdoorsmen.com
www.coantex.proboards44.com/

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: Bonehead] #14733 01/17/05 08:46 PM
J
Jay1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
A Million Thanks to The Hag, Mrs.Hag, for letting me Hunt on there Ranch. Bassr1 & Sportsman Warehouse Outfitters For there Support, Willie from Texas Outdoor Organizer for getting the ball rolling and helping me out.
These Four have touched My Heart for Life. They treated me with so much Loving Hospitality that was overwhelming. I Love you Guy's & Thanks once again for the Great time & Adventure. DRT!
JAY

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: Bonehead] #14734 01/17/05 09:27 PM
J
Jay1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
A Million Thanks to The Hag, Mrs.Hag, for letting me Hunt on there Ranch. Ted, Thank You Sportsman Warehouse Outfitters For there Support, Willie from Texas Outdoor Organizer for getting the ball rolling and helping me out.
These Four have touched My Heart for Life. They treated me with so much Loving Hospitality that was overwhelming. I Love you Guy's & Thanks once again for the Great time & Adventure. DRT!
JAY

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: Jay1] #14735 01/17/05 09:46 PM
T
TheHag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
You are most welcome Jay. It was definitely our pleasure to share that time with you. You now have another friend for life! DT Cooper is making the mini video tape into a VHS tape and he is going to edit it for you also. I'll bring it in tomorrow and mail it to him. Should have it back pretty quick and I'll email you for your address to mail you a copy of it. Congrats again my friend!

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14736 01/18/05 12:10 AM
bankrunner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
JAY... congrats on a successful hunt !!! Hags ( both of ya ) blessings on both of ya... To all of the folks that helped Jay get this trip in THANK YOU,and to the good folks at Sportsmens Warehouse... yall are awesome and have a lifetime customer just get the store in Frico built!!... sure is nice to see the good side of mankind displayed these days... Jay.. John Wester and I really wanted to slide by the ranch and meet you Saturday, but we did not leave the Canadian Texas area till almost 5 PM Saturday and figured we might get shot if we dropped in and woke all of you up after midnight LOL... Once again, congratulations on both deer.... job well done

In Memory of my 36 yr old nephew Paul Dobbins that lost his fight to cancer... Never GIVE UP !!! He fought it hard and was determined all the way to the end to beat it.
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: bankrunner] #14737 01/18/05 12:16 AM
bankrunner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
An after thought... Jay .. you need to change your nickname here on the forum to DRT !!! Once again, congrats congrats congrats

In Memory of my 36 yr old nephew Paul Dobbins that lost his fight to cancer... Never GIVE UP !!! He fought it hard and was determined all the way to the end to beat it.
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: bankrunner] #14738 01/18/05 03:35 AM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Jay1 congrats brother on your hunt and I hope you have many more to come, Hags and friends words can't say what an inspiration this story is for us able bodies. God Bless you.
Darn shame this is not the news we read on a daily basis.

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: bankrunner] #14739 01/18/05 08:25 PM
J
Jay1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Any suggestion on changing my name to on THF. The Hag, what do you think about changing my name. Hag, what you say!

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: Jay1] #14740 01/18/05 09:29 PM
T
TheHag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I think something like "DeadEye" or the "DRT" is more fitting to someone that fires two shots from a wheelchair and nails them in the style that you did.

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14741 01/18/05 09:39 PM
J
Jay1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Hag, I like DRT, it will be like DDT! Ok, That's what I'll do. Thanks

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14742 01/19/05 07:48 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I want to Thank "Sportsman's Warehouse". I owe You'll a Big Thank You for donating the insulated coveralls, stocking cap, socks & cap. I was not prepared for the cold weather at all. You'll kept me warm and have warmed my Heart. I never new that there were such caring People like "Sportsman's Warehouse" .
Willie from Texas Outdoors Outfitters, Tommy & Barbie Hagler for giving me the opportunity to Hunt & so much more, "Ted Kelly" for being Ted "DDT" for going to Sportsman's Warehouse and talking with them about keeping me from freezing, my brother-in-law Donnie for what he does & Texas Hunting Forum. And also Gary my friend who built my Gun rest, Be-Adapitive for the Trigger Mechanism.
I had a very Successful Hunt and I Thank You All.
With Sincere Gratitude, Jay

THE WOODS HAS MUCH TO OFFER TO THE HUMAN SOUL!
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: DRT] #14743 01/20/05 11:10 AM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
DRT, Hag, DDT, Willie, Sportsman Wh, & others
Great story I know you will remember this for a lifetime. May you have many more with your new great friends you have found in TFF and the world? Life is full of surprises and I hope all of you have many more great ones.
Thanks for all the hard work guys and keep it up. Make my day!!
James

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14744 01/21/05 03:18 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Great, Great story. Hats off to all that pitched in and WAY TO GO JAY. Thats what I like about this state and it's people, Hag folks like you and yours are what makes us proud to be Texans. Thanks for sharing.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: HighTechRedneck] #14745 01/27/05 02:27 AM
T
TheHag Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I had to move the pictures from one MSN photo album to another album. So, the links to the pictures were invalid, causing the pictures to disappear. So, here are the pictures that were in the above post of Jay's two deer. One doe and one spike.

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14746 02/07/05 10:42 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
It has only been three weeks since My hunt with TheHag, TOO "www.outdoorstexas.com" Texas Outdoors Organizer" & DDT! I'm very blessed to have met such a Wonderful group of fellow Outdoorsmen. Period!
I really wish I was going hunting tomorrow with these Guys!

17 years of not hunting, years of not knowing that I could still hunt & go out and enjoy God's Greastest.
Thank's again Guy's,
DRT

I suppose I'll have to try out Turkey hunting in the Future!

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: TheHag] #14747 02/10/05 04:10 PM
M
MR71 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
IF EVERYONE HAD A HEART LIKE Y'ALL, THIS WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT NO ONE BUT THEMSELVES. THEY CAN TAKE THAT PREVERBIAL LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER!!! THANKS FOR THE STORY! GOD BLESS!

HIGHER CLASS OF REDNECK; CHICKEN FRIED WILD HOG,MASHED TATERS,GREEN BEANS, A REDNECK'S DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!!!
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: MR71] #14748 02/22/05 02:59 AM
O
operationporkchop Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Great story, I wish I could read more of them. Jay, congrats on the deer, that is a sweet set up for your rifle. Good shooting. Like MR71 (Mark) said we need more people like HAG around. That was awesome what you did for another person, that really shows how big your heart is. God Bless.

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: operationporkchop] #14749 09/17/05 02:38 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I want to Thank The Texas Hunting Forum and it's Members! Everyone has made my Life so much more than I can express! I have met a lot of Fantastic people and I want to Thank everyone! Thank's again, Jay

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: DRT] #14750 09/26/05 12:06 AM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Jay,
I can tell you have the spirit of a stallion and you are getting pumped waiting on opening day. It will be here in less than 40 days. Hope you have a good year and looking forward to meeting you at DAS Hunt.
James

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: jeh7mmmag] #14751 09/26/05 06:40 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Same Here and Thanks

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: DRT] #14752 09/27/05 08:10 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I want to thank everyone!
Thank all of You & the Texas Hunting forum!
smile

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: DRT] #3632750 10/04/12 07:41 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
This hunting season will be 8 years that I got back hunting!

Re: Jay's Hunt Results !!! Amazing !! [Re: DRT] #3632897 10/04/12 08:21 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Enjoy each one Jay I know Tommy does we need pictures this year,Good Luck btw tell the Old Fart we said hi and thanks for giving you a chance

Last edited by Team Hillbilly; 10/04/12 08:21 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide