Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Scoop] #1473064 06/10/10 04:56 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
"on his property" - I think you missed the begining of the thread ..Its all good ..

IT'S NOT THE GUN - IT'S THE PERSON BEHIND THE GUN!
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473068 06/10/10 04:58 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

"I guess this is your attempt to " stir" the pot - I dont even know who kyoteel is - nor did I ever say he was wrong about anything..you must be reading something else than I am "

In response to kyotee's post, your first sentance was "Wow - there are so many misguided people on here." Is that not inferring that he is misguided??

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just recommending that you use a little discretion.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473083 06/10/10 05:10 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
JJH

nope never said that...but thanks for your concern.

If people would just call a local game warden instead of "assuming" what *they read to believe - then they wouldnt get in trouble or mis-guided...my local game warden says I dont need a license to kill a hog if they are tearing up my hayfields - but if I put up a feeder and then start shooting them - then I need a license..since he is the game warden I will go with his info - till proven wrong by another game warden ..but somehow since Robert has been a game warden for 27 years - I will take his advice.

*edit

Last edited by E Rollins; 06/10/10 05:11 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473092 06/10/10 05:14 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: E Rollins
Originally Posted By: vanguard
yep your wrong on this one rollins. If your hunting you need a license, dont care if it squirrels rabbits pigs coyotes etc.

Vanguard - please quote me where I said you didnt need a license if you were hunting..I have no idea where the guy got that from..hell - just go back and read the entire thread..Its plain and simple...I think he got screwed up in the mind when we started in on the Depredation vs hunting vs leave em lay ..its all good...

You can hunt Hogs witout a license - thats it.

Right there Rollins.
The key word is hunt. Let me try and be clearer.
If your HUNTING you need a licnese in Texas.

Last edited by vanguard; 06/10/10 05:15 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473093 06/10/10 05:15 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
you are claiming that you never said it? For your edification, I copied and pasted your quote below. What have you been smoking?

Nope - dont need a license to kill hogs on your property... if you set up a feeder and hunt them - then you need a license-

You can shoot hogs right where you find them and leave them lay -no license needed..Take them home with you and you need a license.

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Wow - there are so many misguided people on here - I thought for a minute that they had changed the rule.Just got off the phone with a Game Warden - I'm right - If I am on my land and hogs are tearing up my places ..I dont need a License !!!If I put up a feeder amd then hunt them - I need a license.Guess maybe the game warden could be wrong - but I will take his side...LOLLL

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: vanguard] #1473099 06/10/10 05:19 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I see your point - if somebody just jumped on the bandwagon and had NO CLUE what the discussion was about and just read the quoted part - he may very well be in trouble- I guess you need to be word perfect on here and explain everything step by step -
My bad.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473112 06/10/10 05:27 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: JJH
you are claiming that you never said it? For your edification, I copied and pasted your quote below. What have you been smoking?

Nope - dont need a license to kill hogs on your property... if you set up a feeder and hunt them - then you need a license-

You can shoot hogs right where you find them and leave them lay -no license needed..Take them home with you and you need a license.

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Wow - there are so many misguided people on here - I thought for a minute that they had changed the rule.Just got off the phone with a Game Warden - I'm right - If I am on my land and hogs are tearing up my places ..I dont need a License !!!If I put up a feeder amd then hunt them - I need a license.Guess maybe the game warden could be wrong - but I will take his side...LOLLL

are you just bored as hell or what ?? I dont get your point --why do you insist on trying to make it seem like I said "your friend" was one of the mis-guided..Good Lord - get a grip will ya!!! see how concerned I am with your "friend" thinking I said he was misguided - I cant even recall the guys name ..now move on.

Last edited by E Rollins; 06/10/10 05:28 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kray] #1473116 06/10/10 05:30 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: kray
I was born and raised in Northeast Texas (but grew up hunting in Oklahoma). Now, I am in the military and will be purchasing land in Texas soon so that I can have it paid off by the time I retire.

My question is this: I heard a rumor that you have to own at least 50 acres in order to shoot a gun on your own land without a hunting license. I plan on getting a license regardless, but wanted to know if this is true or not (in case I have friends visit or what not since I will be visiting the land frequently until I retire). I am asking this because I want to purchase 50-80 acres, but my wife wants us to only purchase 20-30 acres.

I have taken the Texas hunters safety course (but will retake it with my wife).

Thank you in advance.
Hi kray, welcome to the THF. As you can see, this question is a very gray area. My advice to you would be to go to the Texas Parks & Wildlife website and read as much as you can stand. LOL If you can't find the answers your looking for, call them yourself, get the persons name and interprettion of the law. That is the SAFE thing to do. Thanks for your question. Have a great day.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Big Tony] #1473129 06/10/10 05:36 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Big Tony - nail on head there buddy!!! ..I said that several times..I think a few folks on here are just riled up and trying to stir the pot....we always call the local game warden prior to doing any hog hunting or critter hunting and let the know exactly where we will be ..saves him some time when somebody sees a spotlight and starts calling all the local law enforcement..

This thread reminds me of the "spotlight" thread over on the reloading forum...

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473132 06/10/10 05:36 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Okay I just read this entire thing for the first time. Unbiased perspective is:

Erollins started out by saying "you could Hunt hogs without a license thats it" (at 10:22pm on 6/9)followed that up with the 11:01 post saying the same thing but an even stronger message the same day and then changed his/her position to you can "Kill" hogs without a license if they are damaging your property. While Erollins second statement is correct if one can prove that they are damaging your property, the first statement is incorrect plain and simple. What people have taken exception to is the fact that Erollins could have misled (albiet unintentionally it appears) someone into thinking that they could indeed hunt hogs with out a license under any conditions as stated in the previously mentioned 11:01 post.

Not stirring any pots here just offering up some unbiased perspective on the entire topic.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: TxTechsan] #1473137 06/10/10 05:41 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
and you Sir are correct..I caught that later on...I could see where somebody may have come in and misunderstood the jest of the conversation...I was just going by on his original question of owning his own property...then somebody brought up - depredation etc etc ..then it got off track.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473140 06/10/10 05:42 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
my mistake was using the word HUNT when I should have just said *KILL - I can undestand how that confused some.
*Edit

Last edited by E Rollins; 06/10/10 05:43 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473148 06/10/10 05:47 PM
S
slpybeartx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Direct from the TXPWD website...

"A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply."

As others have pointed out... Shoot a hog thats rooting in your coastal field, no license req'd. Shoot a hog under your deer feeder? license req'd. Shoot a hog, in a rooted field, that has a deer feeder on its treeline? GW makes the call. And in my neck of the woods there is no doubt what call will be made.

Also, I know lots of folks who get, "open season" confused with "no license required."

And just food for thought, I have heard many people say that they don't need a license to shoot anything as long as its on their own property, (especially deer.) I remind them that you may own the land, but legally the State owns the wildlife and regulates them.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: slpybeartx] #1473153 06/10/10 05:50 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: slpybeartx
Direct from the TXPWD website...

"A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply."

As others have pointed out... Shoot a hog thats rooting in your coastal field, no license req'd. Shoot a hog under your deer feeder? license req'd. Shoot a hog, in a rooted field, that has a deer feeder on its treeline? GW makes the call. And in my neck of the woods there is no doubt what call will be made.

Also, I know lots of folks who get, "open season" confused with "no license required."

And just food for thought, I have heard many people say that they don't need a license to shoot anything as long as its on their own property, (especially deer.) I remind them that you may own the land, but legally the State owns the wildlife and regulates them.

THANK YOU !!!! somehow theres still gonna be a few that cant comprehend that.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473203 06/10/10 06:18 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
How about you just get a license and then don't worry about it? I assume you'll want to shoot dove and deer and ducks and all the other delicious animals besides hogs at some point?

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: cameron00] #1473211 06/10/10 06:23 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I've had a fishing and hunting license in my back pocket my entire life - what was your point ??

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473225 06/10/10 06:28 PM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Super combo hunting license: $64

CYA and not getting a ticket from the GW: well, you know smile

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: cameron00] #1473230 06/10/10 06:30 PM
S
sweetwilliam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: cameron00
How about you just get a license and then don't worry about it? I assume you'll want to shoot dove and deer and ducks and all the other delicious animals besides hogs at some point?

I think he was talking to the O.P.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473244 06/10/10 06:38 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You can hunt Hogs witout a license - thats it.

Here is one.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: swmays] #1473246 06/10/10 06:40 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Sorry there bud..we already discussed how that confused some folks.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473292 06/10/10 07:16 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: JJH

are you just bored as hell or what ?? I dont get your point --why do you insist on trying to make it seem like I said "your friend" was one of the mis-guided..Good Lord - get a grip will ya!!! see how concerned I am with your "friend" thinking I said he was misguided - I cant even recall the guys name ..now move on.

you seem surprised at all the responses that you have gotten on this thread and the 270WSM thread. Perhaps if you would quit making obtuse, incorrect comments, folks would stop calling you on them. You seem like a good guy who maybe just has problems with clear communications and simple logic.

Or....maybe you just like all the attention you are getting?

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473304 06/10/10 07:25 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Maybe some folks just need to quit trying to "read" into stuff and just let people talk as they may without trying to be "word perfect" or trying to "catch" something ...is this really all you have to do ..seriously

Last edited by E Rollins; 06/10/10 07:25 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473327 06/10/10 07:37 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
clear,concise,and accurate written communication can save a lot of misunderstandings....seriously

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473339 06/10/10 07:43 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
its obvious that your some kinda "paper pusher" you want everyhting word perfect- and I'm just straight up REDNECK - so botom line is - out of ALL the people on here the only one so far that is having trouble following along on this thread or the 270wsm is who ???

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473349 06/10/10 07:47 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You guys have gotten waaaaaay offtopic

I really think the OP's question was more about acreage than anything else. Again, I'll stick to my post above, ask the TP&W folks about that as well. In any or all of your bickering, did anyone think to welcome the OP? He's prolly still running. You guys get a grip.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide