#1384973 - 04/22/10 10:45 PM guided hunt problems
750SpiritRdr Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Brazoria, TX
local paper...
Hunters claim guide didn’t have ducks in row

By John Tompkins
The Facts

Three hunters hoped to shoot a few ducks but felt they landed a decoy and now they’re seeking damages in a lawsuit against the outfitter.

The hunters said they suffered “mental anguish” during a bad duck hunt in December they said was poorly planned by Larry Gore’s Eagle Lake and Katy Prairie Outfitters.

Brazoria County resident Lonnie LeVasseur and Houston attorney Steven Engelhardt sued Gore on March 17, saying the business violated the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Consumer Protection Act because Gore’s business misrepresented where the hunt would be and how it was guided, the suit states.

While the suit lists LeVasseur as a Brazoria County resident, a current address or phone number could not be found. Engelhardt did not return repeated phone calls seeking comment.

Gore, a Katy councilman who is unopposed in the May elections, refutes the allegations.

“I’ve been in this business for 33 years and I’ve never seen anything like this,” Gore said. “All of the claims are false and we intend to fight it.”

LeVasseur and Engelhardt are seeking $1,500 in compensatory damages and $2,000 for “mental anguish” among other damages, according to a copy of the suit filed in Harris County Court.

LeVasseur and Engelhardt allege their duck hunt guide took them to an open spot on one of the outfitter’s leases, when they were promised an area with more cover.

“It was represented that the duck hunt would be conducted over flooded fields, ponds and/or reservoirs with box blinds, sunken pit blinds and natural blinds with decoys as such and this hunt did not have any blind,” the suit states. “Plaintiffs sat on a one-foot levy without any blind or cover.”

The hunt was “a complete waste of time,” the suit states.

Engelhardt, LeVasseur and a third man on the hunt also were asked to pick up decoys afterward, “as if plaintiffs were providing the hunt rather than being on a guided hunt paying for services not provided,” the suit states.

While denying the hunters’ claims, Gore said he tried to make amends with them before the suit was filed.

“I offered to give them another hunt, but they refused,” Gore said.

He declined to comment further.

According to Gore’s Web site, guided day hunts for different types of ducks and geese cost $175.

“All hunts include access to our private lands, a guide, blinds, decoys or whitespreads and white parkas when needed,” the site states.

#1385019 - 04/22/10 10:58 PM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr]
kwrhuntinglab Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Charlottesville VA
I have heard alot of stories about his hunts out that way.....
Many have not been happy with it at all....claiming almost the exact same thing.......
Interesting to see how this plays out.......guess most just chalked it up to a bad experience.......

#1385062 - 04/22/10 11:13 PM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: kwrhuntinglab]
750SpiritRdr Offline
Bird Dog

This isn't the first time this has happened, but it might be the last depending how this all works out.

#1385069 - 04/22/10 11:21 PM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr]
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: HOME!!!! (Columbia, MO)
Boy, I have seen ads for his outfitting service in national magazines and had thought I might give him a try. Well, not now. I guess I should not have worried, because I would have consulted the "THF EXPERTS" before making any plans.

#1385185 - 04/23/10 01:25 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: nuprofessor]
devildog28 Offline

Loc: Joisey Villuge
$1500 for a hunt! I see thousands of geese on the piece of PUBLIC land I go to every year! I've seen many complaints on him. I hope he gets burned.

#1385413 - 04/23/10 08:45 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: devildog28]
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua

Loc: Texas
they are a bunch of dumb butts for paying that in the first place, second point, the guy filing the suit is a dirtbag ambulamps chaser, 3rd what a bunch of cry babies.

If you have a bad hunting experience, you do your best to let everyone know about it, but you don't file suit.

all of that is just my opinion though.

#1385581 - 04/23/10 09:35 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: #Hayraker]
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texoma
Hayraker, I agree with some of what you said, but Gore has been doing this same thing for years...

I hear about it all the time from guys down there...

It is wrong what he does...

I think this is more of a "you aren't going to do this anymore, to another person" than an I am suing you for money deal.

J.J.

#1385610 - 04/23/10 09:48 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: WhiskeyandMe]
750SpiritRdr Offline
Bird Dog

Yep, if one person can make an example of this "guide" then he'll be less likley to do this to other hunters.
DD28...1500 was compensatory damages, the hunt cost 175.00

#1385707 - 04/23/10 10:32 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr]
DUAggie Offline
Tracker

Loc: Houston
Gotta disagree with most of you on this one. I hunt the Katy prairie/Eagle Lake and sit with my back to levies all the time. Farmers drain and fill their rice fields all the time so you can't guarantee there will even be water where you build a permanent blind. You hunt where the ducks are, blind or no-blind.

We had a pretty poor year this year and i bet if these guys shot their limits they wouldn't have complained about the no blind.

I have no connections with Larry Gore and we have all been on bad hunts before. Seems justifiable to me that he offered a free hunt.

Mental anguish????? Holy sheet i'm owed a ton of money then for every hunt i've been frustrated on!!!

Just my $.02

#1385740 - 04/23/10 10:47 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: DUAggie]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

lawsuit might be a little over board, but from what I hear about Larry Gore it was a long time coming

#1385763 - 04/23/10 10:56 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: garrett]
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker

I am suing Garret and Brett for the hunt we had that we only shot spoonies.

#1385777 - 04/23/10 11:02 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: sptaylor]
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua

Loc: Texas
If he's a bad guy, I hope he gets shut down, or changes his practices.

But "mental anguish" give me a break.

#1385788 - 04/23/10 11:05 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: #Hayraker]
DUAggie Offline
Tracker

Loc: Houston
Like the article says...he's been in business for 33 years out there in Katy. I think if he truly was a bad guy he wouldn't have lasted this long.

I think it's just a few disgruntled hunters who were pissed about not shooting anything. We have all hunted with these types of people.

#1385817 - 04/23/10 11:20 AM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: DUAggie]
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corinth, TX
The THIRD FREAKIN LINE SAYS IT ALL....

"a Houston Attorney..." bs

i have been a fishing guide for 15 years....not once Have I guranteed a customer a 10 pound bass and not once have i guranteed a limit. I have had a "few" trips that went awry for one reason or another...weather, son hooked dad, customer got sick, I got sick, and I have given them their money back, no charged or scheduled another trip.

My big question is, can anyone GURANTEE MOTHER NATURE or the GAME to co-operate?

Wasteful Tax Dollars...IMO!

Edited by Mr. Clean (04/23/10 11:20 AM)

THANK A SOLDIER TODAY!

#1386126 - 04/23/10 01:57 PM Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Mr. Clean]
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Temple, TX
I've heard bad things about this outfit for years but these guys are dumbasses that sound like they don't really hunt or know what it's all about. If a guide thinks he can put you on more birds in one spot vs another then you want them to be flexible like that. Blinds are great...but I've hunted a lot and the % of time I've hunted out of an actual blind is pretty small. Layouts and make shift blinds...or standing behind something is the norm.

The way it sounds if these guys hunted with any outfitter...then that outfitter would be at risk.

From reading this Gore handled it all wrong...it was good to offer the free hunt...but in this case he should have just given a refund. That's the thing about being sued...even if you win you lose and he would have been better off just giving them their money back and saying sorry. In the end these guys don't understand the hunting vs killing concept.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide