Print Thread
Dove hunting-DJ farms #7248052 08/07/18 03:24 PM
J
Jlambe Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
I just wanted to say how impressed I was with DJ farms and with Vernon this past week. The farmland looks good and had a ton of knowledge of the existing area.The tour was a little overwhelming at first but when you drive around a little bit it isn't too bad. My dad and I are looking forward to go hunting out there and do some scouting for birds when it gets closer to the season. If anyone has recommendations for certain fields or areas to look at, please let me know. How early people typically get out there for a spot? etc. We are planning to hunt in the east Texas area and just looking to have a good time.

Re: Dove hunting-DJ farms [Re: Jlambe] #7248391 08/07/18 07:40 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My suggestions from hunting out there...

- Don't scout too early. If you can, wait till the last day or two before the opener. Things can change out there in a hurry based on weather and harvesting.
- If you find birds, others will too. Opening morning a few folks will trickle in about an hour before LST. Most will be scrambling the last 15 minutes to get a spot.
- The best way to have a good hunt is to try to find a decent amount of birds on the furthest fields from DFW, preferably ones that are isolated. Not the MOST birds, but a huntable number. You might get lucky and have little to no pressure and still have a good hunt.
- If you do find a good spot and have a good hunt, there will be boom scouters. It won't be a secret - hence my advice to find a spot out of the way.
- Hunt opening weekend as hard as you can. Bird numbers drop off hard.
- Don't miss the BBQ. It was the highlight of the season that last time I was on it. Good food and music.

Re: Dove hunting-DJ farms [Re: LarryCopper] #7248437 08/07/18 08:33 PM
J
Jlambe Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
My suggestions from hunting out there...

- Don't scout too early. If you can, wait till the last day or two before the opener. Things can change out there in a hurry based on weather and harvesting.
- If you find birds, others will too. Opening morning a few folks will trickle in about an hour before LST. Most will be scrambling the last 15 minutes to get a spot.
- The best way to have a good hunt is to try to find a decent amount of birds on the furthest fields from DFW, preferably ones that are isolated. Not the MOST birds, but a huntable number. You might get lucky and have little to no pressure and still have a good hunt.
- If you do find a good spot and have a good hunt, there will be boom scouters. It won't be a secret - hence my advice to find a spot out of the way.
- Hunt opening weekend as hard as you can. Bird numbers drop off hard.
- Don't miss the BBQ. It was the highlight of the season that last time I was on it. Good food and music.

Thanks Larry,
I plan on hunting every chance I get opening weekend, I would imagine the fields get hit pretty hard and you just have to watch the weather on cool fronts for more birds to come down later in the season.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide