Print Thread
Coyote Hunting Suggestions... #7213878 07/02/18 04:02 PM
R
rawToes Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
So, the only public land in North TX that allowed coyote hunting (Caddo, 901N, 901S) set a season, and eliminated night hunting. I haven't been able to hunt this year due to health issues and am finally able to get back out. And, of course, I've missed the limited season. Any suggestions on coyote hunting locations in North TX? Actually, I'm surprised how few units statewide do not allow coyote/predator hunting.

edit: I'm not really ready to pay for a deer lease just to eliminate predators. I would be willing to pay less for access, outside of deer season, to eliminate nasty dogs.

Last edited by rawToes; 07/02/18 06:51 PM.
Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: rawToes] #7213954 07/02/18 05:40 PM
O
okokmoon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Texas has become a high dollar, pay to play, kind of state. At least for deer in south TX and the hill country. My cousin and I have leased around 400 acres for bow/rifle hunting for a very long time at a very low cost around Fredericksburg. The problem is most of that land has been brush cut for cattle/sheep, etc. We have been successful in calling in a few coyotes, but the signs indicate they are just not abundant. Our land owner runs cattle, goats and trophy sheep that he sells to the high fence kinds of trophy ranches. Needless to say part of our deal is that we will not pass on predators even during deer season. We are not trophy hunters and for me the predator calling, specifically at night, has been very enjoyable time spent in the woods! I think from now own I will be taking a few deer during bow season for yearly meat and then trying to find places to hunt predators the rest of the year! Thanks for the look at this thread and the recommendations. I am just getting started and the knowledge on this board is impressive! I will get with our land owner to see if he has any leads on folks that just want the predators gone!`

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: okokmoon] #7213994 07/02/18 06:43 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: okokmoon
Texas has become a high dollar, pay to play, kind of state. At least for deer in south TX and the hill country. . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ couldn't have said that any better myself ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
it's really sad because the old free or low cost cull hunting
is pretty much non existent, and fish that folks wouldn't have
given two cents to catch in the past are now worshiped and
highly regulated. i'm glad i took pictures back then

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: rawToes] #7214092 07/02/18 08:56 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
When you create demand, prices go up.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7214766 07/03/18 05:36 PM
R
rawToes Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
When you create demand, prices go up.

I completely understand that, for deer and similar animals, it can be frustrating, but I get it. However, every time you turn around you hear "coyotes kill fawns", "coyotes are killing xyz too". Plenty of people willing to pay to help with that situation.

TXPWD likes to tout the 1 million acres of public hunting available, but looking through my book, I'd bet at least a 1/4, maybe 1/3 is dove only.

Maybe southern OK has a better situation with public lands.

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: rawToes] #7214969 07/03/18 08:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
However, every time you turn around you hear "coyotes kill fawns", "coyotes are killing xyz too".

I see, because you are providing a service to the landowners, you feel that you should not have to pay as much to hunt the "nasty dogs" that do harm. Lot's of guys refuse pay to "take care of landowner problems" with hogs as well. So at least you are willing to pay something.

With a little work, you can get to do it for free. Start knocking on some doors at ranches and offer your services. Or, take out an add in the county or town newspaper or shopper and offer your services. You are right in that people don't like them, but they often don't like strangers that much either, so you have to learn to build some trust with landowners, talk to them.

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7215101 07/03/18 10:32 PM
R
rawToes Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Quote:
However, every time you turn around you hear "coyotes kill fawns", "coyotes are killing xyz too".

I see, because you are providing a service to the landowners, you feel that you should not have to pay as much to hunt the "nasty dogs" that do harm.

That's a little unfair. I have no issue paying, but I do find it frustrating that other than doing as you suggest, I pretty much have to shell out for a deer lease, which as you know, isn't cheap in TX. I guess I'm more frustrated at the state of public hunting lands than anything else.

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: rawToes] #7215649 07/04/18 04:02 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Texas was an independent republic before it joined the union....not much public or federal land compared to many other states.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: rawToes] #7216160 07/05/18 02:08 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: rawToes
Quote:

I see, because you are providing a service to the landowners, you feel that you should not have to pay as much to hunt the "nasty dogs" that do harm.

That's a little unfair. I have no issue paying, but I do find it frustrating that other than doing as you suggest, I pretty much have to shell out for a deer lease, which as you know, isn't cheap in TX. I guess I'm more frustrated at the state of public hunting lands than anything else.

Not really unfair, just restating what you said. This is Texas. We don't have a lot of federal land. We don't have a lot of state land. A bunch of the state and federal land that we do have has been taken from private citizens. We don't like it when the government takes our land from us. So if you don't or can't hunt what is offered, you have to go private land. You can pay for a lease. You can work to contact landowners. Maybe you can get lucky and a friend of a friend has a relative that will let you hunt, but sometimes you have to work to get what you want.

Re: Coyote Hunting Suggestions... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7217146 07/06/18 03:38 PM
R
rawToes Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
So, all that aside. Has anyone done any varmint hunting in southern OK? Are there more options, and how was the hunting?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide