Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Is your dog a troublemaker? #7146118 04/20/18 12:48 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
My yellow lab Molly that past 2015, she was the best girl. I had her trained to stay on the tile floor, which was confinded to the sunroom and kitchen. Never made trouble.

My girl Tara, 20 months, choc lab, she is the biggest trouble maker. When she is out of her kennel, I cannot take my eyes off her, or she will be in the kitchen, on the counter eating anything she can, or slip off into the bathroom and get into thrash can, pull everything out, and chewing on tissue paper or a nasty Q-tip. hammer

I’ll be on the computer in my office, and I will make her lay down next to me so I can watch her. She will slowly creep backwards till she is out of my peripheral vision, then she will sneak off, get something to chew on that she knows she shouldn’t, then she will sneak back, so slowly I don’t even notice, and I look down and she is looking at me with this innocent look chewing on something, one time it was my wife’s night time teeth guard. hammer

I’m hoping one day I can leave her alone in the house, but not looking good so far.

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7146629 04/20/18 09:41 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
My son's dog, Daisy, is currently living with us. She kills pillows for a living. She loves nothing more than to stalk seemingly innocent pillows and gut them. Nothing like coming home to a room full of pillow guts. bang

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7148889 04/23/18 02:33 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: Guy
My yellow lab Molly that past 2015, she was the best girl. I had her trained to stay on the tile floor, which was confinded to the sunroom and kitchen. Never made trouble.

My girl Tara, 20 months, choc lab, she is the biggest trouble maker. When she is out of her kennel, I cannot take my eyes off her, or she will be in the kitchen, on the counter eating anything she can, or slip off into the bathroom and get into thrash can, pull everything out, and chewing on tissue paper or a nasty Q-tip. hammer

I’ll be on the computer in my office, and I will make her lay down next to me so I can watch her. She will slowly creep backwards till she is out of my peripheral vision, then she will sneak off, get something to chew on that she knows she shouldn’t, then she will sneak back, so slowly I don’t even notice, and I look down and she is looking at me with this innocent look chewing on something, one time it was my wife’s night time teeth guard. hammer

I’m hoping one day I can leave her alone in the house, but not looking good so far.

If she's 20 month's and still doing stuff like that while you are around, its time to revisit some serious obedience training. You need to train her before she trains you, lol.

As for the pillow assassin roflmao, same thing... some serious obedience training is in order. The longer you take to correct the issue, the longer it takes to fix. Lot's of dogs, especially labs get bored around the house when hunting season is over... especially if you don't work them.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a lab Nazi... but I like my dogs in the house when they aren't hunting... they too had to learn that stealing food and grabbing things off counters is a BIG time NO NO and that pillows are their friend.

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7149825 04/24/18 12:10 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
And don't get me wrong, I'm not a lab Nazi... but I like my dogs in the house when they aren't hunting... they too had to learn that stealing food and grabbing things off counters is a BIG time NO NO and that pillows are their friend.

My Jessie loves to steal paper towels off counters and chew them up. She then looks at me and says "What"???

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7149836 04/24/18 12:23 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
My labs don't bother things during the day while we're gone. They both went through phases as pups but grew (were trained) out of it pretty quick.

With that said - it's a whole 'nother story if we're there and they don't feel like they're getting the attention they deserve. If the bathroom door is open one will grab the end of the roll of toilet paper and run through the house. The other will pull socks/panties out of my wife's dresser if it's left cracked open a little bit. The new thing is to go get "stuck" between the wall and the bed in the guest bedroom and bark incessantly and make god awful noises until someone comes and moves the bed. I don't sweat stuff like that - it's just goofy attention seeking behavior and our laughter only makes it worse (and they do get plenty of attention).

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7149845 04/24/18 12:32 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Oh she knows not to do it, she has been corrected many times, and every time when she is caught. And she won’t do it when you are watching. You just can’t take your eyes off her, or she will put anything in her mouth, in the house or not.

This my 7th dog and 3rd lab, all of them house dogs you could leave in the house. But nothing like this girl, she is getting better on a positive note. But since you guys know so much, maybe you know how to fix poop walking too?

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7150978 04/25/18 03:20 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
My Brittany pup is still a terror at 16 months. He is either in motion or asleep...there is nothing in between. You cannot take your eyes off of him unless he is in his kennel or in your lap.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7151675 04/25/18 06:21 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Guy, it is funny reading these people acting like they have 'trained' their dog so well they could leave a birthday cake on the floor and go on vacation and their dog wouldn't touch it.

Mine had the normal puppy chewing at first, but completely grew out of it except for one thing - the trash. Fella won't go anywhere near it when we're home, but if we leave the door open he will pull everything he can out of the kitchen trash can and drag it around the house.

He is great around the house otherwise - really doesn't care about other dogs or people when we're walking, and does great off leash. Really hoping my next dog is the same...

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7151924 04/25/18 09:50 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Thanks Guy I can psychosomatically smell that flush

Does she do that all the time? My Brittany does only with the runs, which Tara clearly had there. But we have a lot in common... Q Tips, mouth guard (kid's in my case), and tissues. No pillow killa tho.

Mine likes to drag out dirty laundry and roll on it. bang

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: LarryCopper] #7152438 04/26/18 12:28 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Does she do that all the time? My Brittany does only with the runs, which Tara clearly had there.

She always does it. Every plop is another step or two. You are right she did have the runs, so the longer it takes her to do her business, the longer the walk. I’m not sure what she is doing, if she is trying to get away from her poop, or spread it around like marking her territory. She is always smelling the ground while she does it, I think that helps her go or she is smelling where she wants to drop one.

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Exbellicus] #7152452 04/26/18 12:41 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
Really hoping my next dog is the same...

Yeah hope. That’s the thing, every dog is different. That is where pro trainer advice is the best, they have trained hundreds of dogs and have seen it all, vs amateurs that trained a few dogs and think they know it all. I have worked with a couple different pros with my dog, and I was told early on I will not be able to take my eyes off her. When she is out of her kennel, she where I can see her. Just this morning I’m brushing my teeth I look over and Tara has her nose in the bathroom trash can.

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7153743 04/27/18 10:32 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
So my kids must have left my dog out her kennel today and not watched her, she snuck in the bathroom and ate a bar of soap. She loves Dove soap, Dial soap not so much.

This was August 2017, we finished up force fetch after 3 months of it, I guess this was her way of saying she was ready to move on? Funny I have a ton of DVDs, but this was the one she pick out to mess up. It was good timing becuase we were done with it. grin

You guys know how to train a dog not to eat soap and DVDs?

Re: Is your dog a troublemaker? [Re: Guy] #7158960 05/03/18 05:10 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

A buddy of mine had a Chow once that ate soap.
He'd get in the shower, get all wet, reach for the soap - gone.

He got an idea about how to deal with it, he soaked a bar in jalapeno juice and put it in the shower's soap dish.

He reported that the dog preferred the jalapeno soap to regular.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide