Print Thread
Never Thought it Would Be Me #7105835 03/09/18 11:34 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
N
Went to the VA for my Compensation and Benefits Exam. Got roasted by the doctor. I left there feeling more humiliated than I've ever been in my life. To make matters worse, my wife was sitting there texting her friends husband, who talked me in to going there in the first place. I'm sure she was telling him how I was blowing the interview. Then during the exam part, she was face timing with him, so he could see how I was "acting" while the doc was doing the exam. I tried to tell them that it was going to be difficult to explain to the doc how I had been out over 20 years without going to the doc, missing work, or ever being on light duty.

I had a few injuries while I was on AD, however, no one ever seemed to take me serious when I went to sick call. One of the things the doc asked was, "How many times did I go to sick call for my knees." I told her once at Ft Knox, and once in Panama. The doc at Knox told me, without an exam, that there was nothing wrong with my left knee, it was all in my mind. I guess falling down a few times was imaginary too. The Air Force doc in Panama said it was tendonitis in my right knee, and gave me about 3 days of walk at my own pace. In 90, while deployed to Honduras, I destroyed my left shoulder. I was given 10 days light duty, and a bottle of Motrin. About 6 weeks later, I get back to Ft Stewart where I could rehab it. To this day, my shoulder feels like it wasn't re seated properly in it's socket. If I rotate it the wrong way, it will still pop out almost 30 years later. Hurt my back three times, however all I got was a day or two of light duty. Fell off a building once, did a PLF, got up and went back to work.

Doc wanted medical proof from my civilian doc, that I had been seen and treated for my injuries, since I've been out for over 20 years. I have none, cause I self medicate, when I'm in pain from my back or knees. I've learned to take it easy on my body now, and not do anything that hurts. I only go to doc now twice a year for refills of my prescriptions. So I'm thinking that I probably won't be getting a damn thing for my legitimate injuries. I worked hard in the Army, and never cheated anyone. Whenever I went on sick call it was legit. However every time I was treated as if I was trying to get out of PT for that day. I'd leave pizzed off and not go back.

Sorry for the long rant, but all that is to say this... I'm pizzed beyond belief right now at my wife, her friends husband, and the doc. I didn't expect anything to come of the claim, to begin with. However I didn't expect to be humiliated like that either. I won't be going back to the VA for ANYTHING ever again. Right now I've pretty much given up on everything.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7105868 03/09/18 12:41 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
I'm sorry for how you feel. Don't count the VA out yet. They might surprise you. After my Dr. exam I didn't think I'd get anything and I ended up with 80% disabled and 100% unemployable.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7106127 03/09/18 04:14 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I think they have to treat people that way to figure out who has legitimate issues. Luckily for me when I went through the process I had lots of records from injuries. Process still sucked but it worked out for the best. Good luck and keep your head up.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7108009 03/11/18 06:44 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Sorry that you had that experience. I was lucky in that we had a VA rep speak to my out-processing group when I separated in 1992. She said that if there were ANY injuries or illnesses with long-term effects that we should file for service-connected immediately after separation. That would make the access to records easier and would tie the problem to military service should it become a debilitating issue in the future. Even if rated as 0% initially, the link would be established.

Sorry that you didn't get the same good advice. Hopefully the degrading process you experienced won't be for nothing. Unfortunately, the fact that you were able to deal with the issues yourself in the past makes it more difficult for you now-- even though it was reducing the burden on the VA system that you earned the right to use. Though I have a service-connected disability, I've relied on commercial insurance through my employment or my wife's for as much as possible. Access to the VA is another one of those "benefits" that didn't work out quite as well as the recruiter promised.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7110559 03/14/18 05:09 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hang in there, it takes time and a lot more patience before it is all over.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7110568 03/14/18 06:25 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
N
I ETS TWICE and no one told me a thing about the VA either time.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7112164 03/15/18 05:46 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: N.La.Beagler
I ETS TWICE and no one told me a thing about the VA either time.
now days at least on Ft Hood they have a mandatory VA benefits briefing for ETS or retiring soldiers. If I were you I would contact Texas Veterans Commision they can give you advice and counsel. They have an office in Harker Heights.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 03/15/18 05:46 PM.
Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7112535 03/15/18 10:35 PM
F
falmike Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Contact the DAV, they excell in helping you get what you deserve

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7112924 03/16/18 05:55 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
N
Thanks for the info, guys. I talked to TVC in Temple to get my claim started. When I went for my exam, the doc left out my asthma claim. That was the main reason that I got out. I'll wait and see what comes of it. I'm not expecting much though. I would like for the ARMY to take care of my shoulder, since I injured it on Active Duty. I'm sure it'll require surgery before the end of the year.
Falmike, if I'm not satisfied with the results, I have a friend who said he'd help me out with his DAV friend who helped him when he filed his claim. However, at this point, I doubt I'll go for a re-evaluation.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7118923 03/21/18 09:57 PM
P
patfatdaddy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I have been fighting with the VA for 12 years now. My military medical records support my claim and my civilian medical records support my claim but the VA keeps fighting it.I retired early from my civilian job due to the injuries I received while in the Army. The VA has awarded me small encrements of 10 or 20 percent at a time and claiming that it was new claims so I don't get all of my back pay. I am at 90% and have filed for unemployable. It has been three months since I filed for that so it will probably be at least another year.

Pat's Custom Rods
979-418-9093
Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7130963 04/03/18 09:09 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
N
Well, they gave me 20% for my bum shoulder. All other claims were dismissed somehow, as not service related. Guess I didn't go to sick call enough (twice a year average). Disappointed in the results, however, it was more than I expected.

Re: Never Thought it Would Be Me [Re: N.La.Beagler] #7311760 10/12/18 12:18 AM
F
falmike Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Be careful on re-evals. I have heard that if done in the first five years your rating could drop. After five, you are locked in to your initial rate or higher. On the other hand, even if true, less than 50% means you give ip a retirement dollar for every VA dollar you get; slight tax savings is about it... plus discount on property tax if you own your home.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide