Print Thread
Keeping Retriever intact or fixing #7062802 02/02/18 01:30 PM
W
wacoducks Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Will be getting a new young started dog this summer, however, I see that almost every dog is still intact. I know some people with dogs they received that they have to sign a contract to not breed, or they have to pay for breeding rights. Are there benefits to leaving a dog intact? Personally, I am leaning towards getting the dog fixed for personal reasons with other dogs in the house. If anyone has information please let me know.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7062922 02/02/18 02:50 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I’ve always gotten my dogs fixed. There is one camp that believes it’s healthier for the dog to get fixed and one that believe sits healthier for the dog to remain intact. I believe the intact camp is growing of late, based on some new research.

My dog has been fixed for five years and I’m not in the market for a new dog, so I don’t keep up with it much. I also have no desire to ever have a litter of puppies.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7063004 02/02/18 03:45 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I’ve always gotten my dogs fixed. There is one camp that believes it’s healthier for the dog to get fixed and one that believe sits healthier for the dog to remain intact. I believe the intact camp is growing of late, based on some new research.

My dog has been fixed for five years and I’m not in the market for a new dog, so I don’t keep up with it much. I also have no desire to ever have a litter of puppies.

Correct. I think the science falls somewhere in the middle. Most of what I read says health issues have been linked to spaying/neutering at too young of an age. So where some propose 6 months most are now saying waiting until around 2 years has curbed the percentage for health issues.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7063442 02/02/18 08:36 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Leonardo is correct, based off of my recent readings.
A lot of information points to leaving dogs intact for a few years. The hormones release are good for their bone development, brain development and the like. The hormones help fight cancer as well.

Mud Shark

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7063511 02/02/18 09:41 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If you do decide to fix them wait until the dog is at least two years old. Like the others have said the dogs hormones and growth plates are not yet fully formed and matured until the dog is at least two.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: huck18] #7063851 02/03/18 02:27 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Interesting, my doc never told me it is best to wait 2 years. My pup got fixed at 6 months, I remember pup needed to be a certain weight or something. But I have no interest in breeding, and I would not want to deal with a female in heat for 2 years. Not sure I would want a female if I had to deal with that, give me a male. But I don't like males because I don't like looking at their junk and dealing with them humping everything, but better than a female in heat. And I'm not gonna clip a male, that just not right. loser8

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7064014 02/03/18 11:17 AM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Only reason to not spay /neuter is if you want to raise pups from the dog. Consult a good vet about timing.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: Guy] #7065896 02/05/18 12:55 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Guy
Interesting, my doc never told me it is best to wait 2 years. My pup got fixed at 6 months, I remember pup needed to be a certain weight or something. But I have no interest in breeding, and I would not want to deal with a female in heat for 2 years. Not sure I would want a female if I had to deal with that, give me a male. But I don't like males because I don't like looking at their junk and dealing with them humping everything, but better than a female in heat. And I'm not gonna clip a male, that just not right. loser8

Depending on the dog you are dealing with one or two heat cycles.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7066759 02/05/18 05:28 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Unfortunately my Tess has her heat cycle around the end of December during the height of duck season. However I'm planning on breeding her in the next two years to get my next pup so I will keep her intact for at least that long.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7068267 02/06/18 07:24 PM
T
Triple7 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Male Dogs: My males will be fixed at 2 yrs old. I have breeding rights on both of them and they have great lines, but I have no interest in breeding since I have 2 dogs under 2 and my house will not support another.
I might have breed the older of the two if my wife didn't want our new Fox Red one instead.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7068859 02/07/18 02:30 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Spaying/neutering should have no real impact of the ability of the dog as a retriever.

The timing of spaying/neutering is still heavily debated in vet circles. When I was in school (just 5-6 years ago) my surgery professors recommended spaying before the first heat cycles to pretty much eliminate the risk of mammary cancer in females...which it does. On the other hand, we've learned through some long term studies that it could increase the risk of other health problems. So I suppose the correct answer is some where in the middle.

I do know that animals that are spayed/neutered at before puberty will grow taller than if left intact. The hormonal changes associated with puberty trigger the growth plates to close.

On the other hand older, intact females are at risk for pyometra and mammary cancer. Males can develop BPH just like men and prostatic cancer....the cancer can happen either way.

I honestly haven't kept up fully with the debate or research since I don't do much dog work anymore. I'd say have a conversation with your vet about timing.

Personally everything I have currently is fixed..male and female. I don't have any dogs i feel like are suitable to breed. If I ever get a dang good dog, I'd consider breeding. By good I mean a good working dog, not just he/she is a sweet dog.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7069593 02/07/18 06:13 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Study released a year or so ago done with goldens found most overall healthy dogs were intact.

Im a big beliver in leave them the way God made them, i think they look better and act better. That said, it requires more work. ESPECIALLY if a female. But more intact males get hit by cars chasing girls than ill bet anything else...

If your going to fix. My vote is wait until they are FULLY mature. That way,
A.) Sex hormones have had secondary effects on conformation and temperment
B.) Gives you time to gauge if dog is worth breeding.

I dont remember if that golden study had a grouo that way fixed latter or not... id have to go reread it

Last edited by catslayer; 02/07/18 06:14 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: catslayer] #7070238 02/08/18 03:12 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: catslayer
Study released a year or so ago done with goldens found most overall healthy dogs were intact.

Im a big beliver in leave them the way God made them, i think they look better and act better. That said, it requires more work. ESPECIALLY if a female. But more intact males get hit by cars chasing girls than ill bet anything else...

If your going to fix. My vote is wait until they are FULLY mature. That way,
A.) Sex hormones have had secondary effects on conformation and temperment
B.) Gives you time to gauge if dog is worth breeding.

I dont remember if that golden study had a grouo that way fixed latter or not... id have to go reread it

Agreed. Also, to me it is more of personal preference. I did not spay my BLF and have not regretted it.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7070436 02/08/18 12:36 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
Spaying/neutering should have no real impact of the ability of the dog as a retriever.

The timing of spaying/neutering is still heavily debated in vet circles. When I was in school (just 5-6 years ago) my surgery professors recommended spaying before the first heat cycles to pretty much eliminate the risk of mammary cancer in females...which it does. On the other hand, we've learned through some long term studies that it could increase the risk of other health problems. So I suppose the correct answer is some where in the middle.

I do know that animals that are spayed/neutered at before puberty will grow taller than if left intact. The hormonal changes associated with puberty trigger the growth plates to close.

On the other hand older, intact females are at risk for pyometra and mammary cancer. Males can develop BPH just like men and prostatic cancer....the cancer can happen either way.

I honestly haven't kept up fully with the debate or research since I don't do much dog work anymore. I'd say have a conversation with your vet about timing.

Personally everything I have currently is fixed..male and female. I don't have any dogs i feel like are suitable to breed. If I ever get a dang good dog, I'd consider breeding. By good I mean a good working dog, not just he/she is a sweet dog.

Good info. Sounds like it boils down to personal preference. I personally, have no interest in breeding my dog, no matter how great she turns out to be, and getting her fix and getting that out of the way, and not have to deal with her heat cycles, what a pain, and also risk of her getting knocked up...No thanks. But that is just me.

Re: Keeping Retriever intact or fixing [Re: wacoducks] #7071239 02/08/18 11:27 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I prefer a spayed gyp if I’m not planning on breeding her.

I’ll keep a dog intact. I think cutting them makes them lazy and fat. The only dog I ever cut was nicknamed “Buffet Line,” by one of my neighbors. Then again he wasn’t that great of a dog to begin with. He wound up as my wife’s house pet.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide