Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! #6987525 12/08/17 12:08 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I've been talking about these crappy rings/bases for several years now, and I finally got another rifle in that had some holding zero issues and would not shoot well. So, I am taking some pictures of the rings/bases to show the exact problems with this set up. I have seen this on multiple rifles, and I have to pass on this info. This style of rear windage screws that clamp onto the ring "ears" do not work! They will not hold zero! I have seen many rifles with these rings/bases that will not hold zero and will often times be off their zero, sometimes severely off, with no warning. Granted, most of the rifles I have seen these issues were on a magnum rifle. These rings/bases came off a light weight 300 Wby Mag with a BIG Leupold scope on it. So what's happening is there is a lot of recoil since the rifle is light weight. The scope is a big scope, so there's a lot of weight up top. During recoil, the scope wants to stay in place while the rifle recoils to the rear. There is a lot of force in this one area on the rear windage screw and ring "ears". The result is picture below.

The number one problem of bases/rings that I see is this style of rear windage screw base and ring "ear" set up. Every gun counter in America has a pair of them on the shelf and they are dirt cheap. I highly do NOT recommend this style of rings and bases.

Picture #1- A standard set of rear windage and front dove tail rings and bases.
Picture #2- You can see the rear windage screws of the base clamping onto the "ears" of the rings. If you look close, you can see some slight daylight or uneven area in the front of the ring.
Picture #3- you can see where the windage screw clamps onto the "ears" of the ring, and there's some shiny spots from the movement of the "ears".
Picture #4- This shows the movement of the "ears" and how they are bending in the rear windage screws. I have seen these "ears" sheer completely off in some cases.
Picture #5- Addition view of the bending of the "ears"

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987539 12/08/17 12:22 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I agree wholeheartedly, these are a very poor choice. In truth and fairness, I have seen them work well in numerous instances...but in my opinion every one of these rigs, no matter how well each was working at the time, was just a failure waiting to happen.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987554 12/08/17 12:33 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
soap

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987574 12/08/17 12:49 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
An abomination! Like river rider, I have seen them work well, but I have also seen guys shoot up a lot of ammo trying to sight in a rifle before giving up, then either blame the scope or the rifle. they are particularly susceptible to the ham fisted guy who goes with gorilla tight.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/08/17 01:37 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987598 12/08/17 01:10 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Flat toothpicks are an abomination, too.

Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: Smokey Bear] #6987619 12/08/17 01:20 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
An abomination! Like redchevy I have seen them work well, but I have also seen guys shoot up a lot of ammo trying to sight in a rifle before giving up, then either blame the scope or the rifle. they are particularly susceptible to the ham fisted guy who goes with gorilla tight.

I am not redchevy. I think you owe him an apology.

banana

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987645 12/08/17 01:43 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Oops! Fixed it. My sincerest apologies to all. They are still an abomination. Must have been distracted. It just started to snow and that happens very seldom in my neck of the woods.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987790 12/08/17 03:21 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've never had a problem with mine.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987792 12/08/17 03:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've been talking about these crappy rings/bases for several years now, and I finally got another rifle in that had some holding zero issues and would not shoot well.

rolleyes

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987822 12/08/17 03:53 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Man lots of bubbas and booger pickers are going to be upset you called their baby ugly

Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: J.G.] #6987861 12/08/17 04:31 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I've been talking about these crappy rings/bases for several years now, and I finally got another rifle in that had some holding zero issues and would not shoot well.

rolleyes
This was my dad even after the issues we had at last year's Hunting Rifle comp. Changed them out to just normal 2-piece Weaver base and Zeiss rings. Zero issues since.

Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987868 12/08/17 04:39 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I'm sure there are some of these rings on rifles that are working just fine, at the moment. But... If you know there is a known issue with a rifle holding zero, would you still use them? These rings are about $30. Hunters spend THOUSANDS of dollars on lease, trips, gas, food, ammo... only to leave them self wide open for rifle disappointment. I had (note, HAD) these rings on a rifle a long time ago. I battled a wondering POI, and didn't know why. Now I know why, and I'm passing along this info. Again, this is the only one I have documented with pictures and info on it. I've had MANY rifles come through the door with these rings having an issue. It's not an isolated incident.

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Flat toothpicks are an abomination, too.

LOL! My round one's wouldn't stay in place!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987885 12/08/17 04:54 AM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
What bases for a Remy 700 sa would you recommend?

22 Creedmoor
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: RiverRider] #6987898 12/08/17 05:05 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
An abomination! Like redchevy I have seen them work well, but I have also seen guys shoot up a lot of ammo trying to sight in a rifle before giving up, then either blame the scope or the rifle. they are particularly susceptible to the ham fisted guy who goes with gorilla tight.

banana

I laughed earlier when I read that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: Brother in-law] #6987902 12/08/17 05:07 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Man lots of bubbas and booger pickers are going to be upset you called their baby ugly

Very true Princess. Very true. We call that unfortunately you picked the wrong chit.

[Linked Image]
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: BassCat'99] #6987904 12/08/17 05:08 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
What bases for a Remy 700 sa would you recommend?

EGW rail with Seekins rings 2cents

[Linked Image]
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6987979 12/08/17 11:46 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Dual Dovetails or Warne steel bases with Burris Zee rings would work fine too. And tjey don't cost much more than junky adjustable windage setups either.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: Bee'z] #6987980 12/08/17 11:48 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

banana

I laughed earlier when I read that.

That was the intent. I wasn't gittin on yer case, Smokey Bear! Just razzin ya.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6988240 12/08/17 03:01 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've had good luck with Talley lightweight 2 piece & DNZ one piece / game reaper on Rem 700's.

I have Leupold dual dove tail on my most accurate rifle, not what I like but what I had on hand when I mounted the scope.

I agree with Chad, poor quality rings & bases cause more accuracy & consistancy problems than just about anything else.

Of course I understand that some folks would consider what I use to be crapola.

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

You mad Bro?...

Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6988304 12/08/17 03:31 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Had a rifle with the Leupold one piece base that wouldn't zero one time, took the scope off and one of the rings was loose and wobbled in the base. Haven't used Leupolds since.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6988308 12/08/17 03:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I see my name has already been brought up here lol

Have 6 rifles using those the oldest around 30 years old the newest about 15. No problems what so ever with them.

Personally I will probably not buy any more because other styles are easier and apparently better according to many, but I'm not going to change any of them out either and highly doubt I will ever see a problem with them. I think there is a difference in acceptable for a hunting rifle with a light small 3x9 and a 2 pound monster with someone cranking on the turrets 24/7 also. I also don't use the scope as a carry handle and never will no matter what rings/bases are on it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: redchevy] #6988330 12/08/17 03:45 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I have two hunting rifles (25-06 and 7 mag) that had those bases and I've replaced both with pic rails and good rings over the past couple of years. I didn't have a problem with either, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6988336 12/08/17 03:51 PM
P
papa45 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
I have five or six rifles with this type of base and ring and have not had a problem. I suspect the screws can be over-torqued and damage the ears if one isn't careful. Also, using the screws to adjust windage seems like a giant no-no that can cause other problems.

Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #6988354 12/08/17 04:05 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I've been talking about these crappy rings/bases for several years now, and I finally got another rifle in that had some holding zero issues and would not shoot well. So, I am taking some pictures of the rings/bases to show the exact problems with this set up. I have seen this on multiple rifles, and I have to pass on this info. This style of rear windage screws that clamp onto the ring "ears" do not work! They will not hold zero! I have seen many rifles with these rings/bases that will not hold zero and will often times be off their zero, sometimes severely off, with no warning. Granted, most of the rifles I have seen these issues were on a magnum rifle. These rings/bases came off a light weight 300 Wby Mag with a BIG Leupold scope on it. So what's happening is there is a lot of recoil since the rifle is light weight. The scope is a big scope, so there's a lot of weight up top. During recoil, the scope wants to stay in place while the rifle recoils to the rear. There is a lot of force in this one area on the rear windage screw and ring "ears". The result is picture below.

The number one problem of bases/rings that I see is this style of rear windage screw base and ring "ear" set up. Every gun counter in America has a pair of them on the shelf and they are dirt cheap. I highly do NOT recommend this style of rings and bases.

Picture #1- A standard set of rear windage and front dove tail rings and bases.
Picture #2- You can see the rear windage screws of the base clamping onto the "ears" of the rings. If you look close, you can see some slight daylight or uneven area in the front of the ring.
Picture #3- you can see where the windage screw clamps onto the "ears" of the ring, and there's some shiny spots from the movement of the "ears".
Picture #4- This shows the movement of the "ears" and how they are bending in the rear windage screws. I have seen these "ears" sheer completely off in some cases.
Picture #5- Addition view of the bending of the "ears"

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Chad,

I mucho agree. Those bases and rings are a step above duct taping your scope to your receiver. I have sheered several of them off, and will never use them again.

I prefer my bases/rings to be like a 9" Ford rear end. They may not be the sexiest thing out there, but they aren't going to be the weakest link on my rig.

You did what?
Re: Worst Style of Rings/Bases for a rifle!!!!! [Re: Texasteach] #6988361 12/08/17 04:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Texasteach

Chad,

I mucho agree. Those bases and rings are a step above duct taping your scope to your receiver. I have sheered several of them off, and will never use them again.

I prefer my bases/rings to be like a 9" Ford rear end. They may not be the sexiest thing out there, but they aren't going to be the weakest link on my rig.

Curiosity, what guns/calibers? What scopes? What do you do to them? Who put them on?

It's hell eatin em live
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide