Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,366
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
How can you tell if your dog likes something because he thinks you like it? #6919620 10/13/17 10:47 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
This is a crazy question, probably a stupid one too. Full disclosure, he's just a house dog, or more precisely a couch and bed dog not a hunting or working dog.

His name is Charlie, 5yrs he's about 65 lbs and a mutt mixed with healer, maybe some Aussie and lab. He's a good dog and a fun dog. When he was a late puppy, I'd say teens to early 2yrs he started yelping when any of our other dogs would brush against him, we found a spot on his lower back that was really sensitive. He's a playful guy, he likes to run hard and jump straight up and down as high as he can when he's excited about going outside or when he's stuck outside when mama comes home.

We took him to the vet, vet confirms the tender spot and does xrays. No problems with the spine and the hips are fine. The vet gives us some pain meds. Well they work and sometimes we'd have some left over for next time and sometimes we'd have to get more, but it was an on going thing for him. I didn't like that.

So one day after some youtube videos or maybe some animal planet show I decide to get him over to me and massage the lower 1/4 of his back. I looked for knots, kept direct pressure off the spine and tried to work the little knots I found down to the sides of his tail and his upper hips. It hurt a little but he let me do it, did I mention he's a good boy? So I did that a few times and he started feeling better butt we finished his meds.

Now warp 2 years later he hasn't needed meds for a long time maybe even since that first time I massaged his back. So honestly I'm not sure if he stopped hurting because of what I'm doing or because he grew into his fully developed size. But now for the last year or more, every time I sit down he comes and greets me, gets a little head pat, a proceeds to turn around and present me his back side for my job, a job which I love because I tell myself it helps him and he likes it.

I do wonder if he really likes it or if he does it because that's what we do whenever I sit down? Is there any way to tell?

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: How can you tell if your dog likes something because he thinks you like it? [Re: Gravytrain] #6919887 10/14/17 03:11 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'm sure he likes it and through the process you've conditioned him to do that.

So it's both...

Also kind of a strange question.....lol

Does it matter?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: How can you tell if your dog likes something because he thinks you like it? [Re: Gravytrain] #6920081 10/14/17 01:12 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Izzie does the same thing. Just like sticking their head under your hand.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: How can you tell if your dog likes something because he thinks you like it? [Re: BradyBuck] #6920178 10/14/17 03:08 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

So it's both...

Does it matter?

Not in the grand scheme of things I guess.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: How can you tell if your dog likes something because he thinks you like it? [Re: Gravytrain] #6920191 10/14/17 03:20 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

So it's both...

Does it matter?

Not in the grand scheme of things I guess.

It would be interesting to know what was wrong with him.

Dogs can be conditioned to do almost anything and we condition them to do a lot of things not really meaning to but just happens by how we go about our day to day routine.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide