Print Thread
rynoskin or similar #6881413 09/07/17 10:37 PM
F
fishfree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Anyone tried Rynoskin or similar bug proof clothing? I would like to find gear that would protect against fireants as well as skeeters, chiggers and ticks.

Re: rynoskin or similar [Re: fishfree] #6888858 09/16/17 02:11 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Its funny you mention this.. I was just watching one of the hunting shows and saw an ad for the Rynoskin line of clothing. I just got done doing a little research on this product.

I see that their product is being sold at Bass Pro and several other retailers. While I was doing some research on Rynoskin I came across an article that talked about the effectiveness of permethrin and how it KILLS mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, chiggers, and other biting insects. I guess I'm wondering why they don't treat Rynoskin with it? Permethrin is odorless so deer can't smell it. Further Permethrin is safe for human skin contact. Anyways, I bought a bottle of permethrin spray on-line from Walmart. I am going to buy some Rynoskin as well and maybe between these two products I can keep the mosquitos off me.

I HATE mosquitos. I know some people can sit and allow the mosquitos to bite them repeatedly and it does not bother them. I can't do it... I admit it.. If a mosquito is in my face, or eyes, or biting my exposed skin I HAVE to try and kill them. This has caused MANY lost deer as a result. Typically it's when I move to swat the mosquito that I spook the deer. It happened TWICE last hunting season.. I did not think anything was around and moved my arm to swipe a mosquito away from my face and instantly a buck jumped, wheezed, and ran off. He was off to my right less than 20 yards out and I never heard him, or saw him, or knew he was there until I scared him. If I could find some way to keep all mosquitos off me, and/or kill them if they land on me (permethrin) I'm doing it!

I already use a Thermocell full time when I'm tree stand hunting but if there is any wind it greatly reduces the effectiveness and I end up getting mosquitos all over me, in my face, in my ears, and it just disrupts my hunt immeasurably. This year, I'd like to be proactive and come up with some combination of products that will keep them OFF ME, AWAY from me and KILL THEM if they do land on me. Maybe an electrified suit that drops them dead like a bug zapper if they land on me? I'm hoping that's what permethrin does. Last year I had my entire body covered, with the only thing exposed being a thin slit for my eyes and the mosquitos would just fly right into my eyes relentlessly. This year, I'm going to be better prepared. If I could zip myself up in a complete body suit with some type of mesh over my face that I can easily see through, but won't affect my vision, I'd be doing it. Mosquitos here in Houston are numerous, and quite aggressive. I've been in the swamps of Florida and they are not nearly as bad there as they are here in Houston.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: rynoskin or similar [Re: fishfree] #6888861 09/16/17 02:12 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Here's a thought... Would it hurt anything to mix Permethrin in with my scent away? Think about it, you are killing bad human odors and putting on an insect repellent and insect killer simultaneously. I wonder if there are any dangers of mixing the two???

Re: rynoskin or similar [Re: fishfree] #6888871 09/16/17 02:20 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
I found the Cabelas Bug Skinz product and on their web site there is a review of the bug suit and this is a copy of that review; This suit does not keep the mosquitoes off of any part of your body that it touches. They bite right through at the shoulders, back and on the legs. After one night of hog hunting in this suit you could see exactly where the suit was touching my body. My wife counted over 50 bites just on my shoulders. I shouldn't have to use insect repellent with a bug suit. Kinda defeats the purpose if you are trying to stop the game from smelling you from a mile away. Literally. The face net is also virtually useless. It will keep the mosquitoes and no-see-ums off of your face. You just can't see through it.

The review above can be found at this link; http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/...59.uts?slotId=2

Re: rynoskin or similar [Re: fishfree] #6888889 09/16/17 02:45 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Despite that review, I have found multiple other POSITIVE reviews of the Bug Skinz.. I bit the bullet and bought the suit. I will treat my complete suit with Permethrin and then hope for the best. If for some reason the suit does not work as well as advertised, I'll try the Rynoskin next.

Re: rynoskin or similar [Re: fishfree] #6890136 09/17/17 10:36 PM
F
fishfree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
you may want to look at picaridin (see mosquito.org) as well

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide