Print Thread
Yes rain gear questions in July #6837145 07/28/17 10:10 PM
S
scooter85 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Hello and I have to start with I have note posted much on here but spent many hours reading everyone else post about there hunting trips advise and life changing events. Just wanted to say thanks.

So here goes, your buddy ask if you want to go on a caribou hunt in Canada, and well hell yea you do. So you save up and I now leave the first weekend in September... Now that its only a month away I think I have everything I need. I have spent countless hours reading looking reading and so on, I am good to go, right. Then you talk to your outfitter and the last words out of his mouth are to have damn good rain gear! We all know that reading is nothing compared to real world use. I want to double check and find out about real world use with the THF on rain gear. Right now I have the Cabelas Rain Sued Pants and jacket with 4most dry. I am incredibly hot natured and afraid I will sweat so much under this gear I might as well not wear it. I turn to yall and ask what do you wear when its 40-50 degrees and raining? I cant say I will be in my blind or stand for this one so it needs to be durable. If there is more advice I should know about caribou hunting please let me thanks gentleman

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin.
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837156 07/28/17 10:15 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wish I could help on this one, but no dice. I hear ya about sweating in rain gear, get's uncomfortable real quick.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837175 07/28/17 10:25 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Anything breathable. I have a good set of high end rain gear I use for bow hunting, and it's seen it's share of use. I keeps me dry. But in warmer weather it won't matter, you will still sweat. I also have a good pancho, and that does me more good. When it rains heavy, I hunker down and put everything under my pancho, me included. It gives you more air flow. also. But if you want to hunt while it's raining, you will need the fabric to be quiet also. I have a good rain jacket for fishing, but the material is very loud when you move and would not make a good hunting fabric. Buy a size or two bigger than you need, since the extra room will help over clothes.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837363 07/29/17 01:11 AM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
popcorn Me too I leave 9/1 for Ontario bear

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837372 07/29/17 01:18 AM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have the Sitka line. There are 3 different options. I honestly don't know which I have. It's either the Cloudburst or the Stormfront. The Cloudburst pant & jacket is a double layer goretex. It's their lightest weight (39 ounces for the jacket and pant) stretchy and comfortable. The Stormfront (44 ounces) is a triple layer goretex I believe and a little more durable. Both are a little noisy while walking but not extremely terrible. Honestly the noise doesn't even bother me. They have a new line called Thunderhead which is supposed to have a quieter fabric. Weight is around 48oz for the system. Whichever model I have I have hiked miles in at elevation in down pours. Never got wet or had any measurable sweat accumulation. If you are sweating in rain gear you need to take more layers off underneath & open up the armpit zips.

Kuiu would be my other option. Teton, Ultra, Chugach & Yukon in ascending order of price and quality. I am unfamiliar with them but wouldn't hesitate in going his route as well. It's cheaper compared to Sitka and just as good if not better.

Aside from those two, any lightweight mountaineering brand would work also, it just won't be camo colored.

Last edited by Theringworm; 07/29/17 01:24 AM.
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837421 07/29/17 01:57 AM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I've had a set of gortex rain gear that has lasted me the past decade. Before that it was another set of gortex. Couldn't tell you the brands, I only use them half a dozen times a year so they last a good long time. Gortex is breathable material.

If memory serves it was about 300 bucks 10 years ago.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837473 07/29/17 02:29 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Google Simms outdoor wear

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837505 07/29/17 02:56 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had the best luck using a Gore-Tex poncho and pants. The poncho lets in air flow, where a zipped jacket can hot and you sweat more than if you had been rained on. Are your boots waterproof? If not rubber galoshes work, but are hot and your feet will sweat out more fluid and the boots will get a good soaking. I used 2 pair both waterproof and switched them out daily, my feet still got soaked, but I was more comfortable than galoshes.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837514 07/29/17 03:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: scooter85
Hello and I have to start with I have note posted much on here but spent many hours reading everyone else post about there hunting trips advise and life changing events. Just wanted to say thanks.

So here goes, your buddy ask if you want to go on a caribou hunt in Canada, and well hell yea you do. So you save up and I now leave the first weekend in September... Now that its only a month away I think I have everything I need. I have spent countless hours reading looking reading and so on, I am good to go, right. Then you talk to your outfitter and the last words out of his mouth are to have damn good rain gear! We all know that reading is nothing compared to real world use. I want to double check and find out about real world use with the THF on rain gear. Right now I have the Cabelas Rain Sued Pants and jacket with 4most dry. I am incredibly hot natured and afraid I will sweat so much under this gear I might as well not wear it. I turn to yall and ask what do you wear when its 40-50 degrees and raining? I cant say I will be in my blind or stand for this one so it needs to be durable. If there is more advice I should know about caribou hunting please let me thanks gentleman

Kuiu(not ultra or tenton-no pit zips) sitka, cabelas instinct, or even UA ridge reaper. Most good rain gear has pit zips to solve the over heating

I never wear rain pants, but do wear gaiters.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837562 07/29/17 03:52 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Riverswest

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: dogcatcher] #6837597 07/29/17 05:07 AM
S
scooter85 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
A poncho never crossed my mind to be honest will defiantly look into that.
Yes my boots are waterproof taking a pair of lacrosse an gortex high top hiking boots. I deff do not do wet feet I have even thought about taking my 18 inch tall gortex boa snake boots because my feet have done so well with them one of the most comfortable boots I own.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin.
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837695 07/29/17 01:09 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
if you can, take two pair of boots

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837707 07/29/17 01:20 PM
J
jt402 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I don't do rain anymore, but based on past experiences, I would search for a GoreTex poncho and baggy GoreTex pants. Water wicking boot - sock systems with extras in a pack.

Good hunting. Wish I had done that earlier in life. Best wishes,

Jack

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837810 07/29/17 03:44 PM
T
Texasphez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ok you asked so here it is. Go to kuiu.com order rain gear and don't look back! It is far and away the best gear out there! Yes it is expensive but well worth every cent! If not that route then go with helly Hansen, but only if weight is not an issue. Trust me I have been on several trips to the north country, and the last thing you want to be is wet! Helly Hansen is what I started out with, but now have kuiu and wouldn't have anything else!
Don't settle for second rate rain gear, you might not ever put it on, but if you need it, well... In Alaska I wore my rain gear everyday while caribou hunting, never touched it while Dall sheep hunting in the Yukon, and then again used it everyday in British Columbia Stone sheep and mountain goat hunting. Gortex doesn't cut it !!!

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837815 07/29/17 03:51 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Kuiu all the way!

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837819 07/29/17 03:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: scooter85
A poncho never crossed my mind to be honest will defiantly look into that.
Yes my boots are waterproof taking a pair of lacrosse an gortex high top hiking boots. I deff do not do wet feet I have even thought about taking my 18 inch tall gortex boa snake boots because my feet have done so well with them one of the most comfortable boots I own.

When wind starts blowing you will hate the poncho, its great if you are sitting waiting out a rainstorm, but isn't fun when going through brush

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6837917 07/29/17 06:01 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would look seriously at the thunderhead line from Sitka. The face is a soft finish so it is really quiet, some of the quietest I have ever head for good goretex stuff. They have pants and jacket, but unless bow hunting and sitting a stand, I would likely just get the jacket and have some good boots with gaiters and call it a day.

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6853587 08/12/17 03:37 AM
S
scooter85 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Well guys I must say thanks for all the info help suggestions. I have to say that the price of great rain is is a whooping.... The Rivers West poncho was the best idea to help keep me cool, but walking through the brush an in high winds I agree it will be a lot tougher to stay dry. I read a lot of reviews on the kuiu seems nice but I was unable to put my hands on it so I went with the Sitka Dew Point set was 100 off the jack at cabelas and I am going to layer under it and I hope this does the job. I have 23 days till I head out. Guys I just wanna say thanks again for the help and advice again

Re: Yes rain gear questions in July [Re: scooter85] #6853677 08/12/17 12:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Good pick!! Congrats

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide