Print Thread
Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? #6621490 01/07/17 11:03 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Last edited by tlk; 01/07/17 11:41 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6621729 01/08/17 01:31 AM
J
jt402 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Biologists say yes.

Jack

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: jt402] #6621739 01/08/17 01:35 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: jt402
Biologists say yes.

Jack

did you read the study?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6621773 01/08/17 02:03 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Very interesting. Evidently it gets very iffy past 2 years old.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6621796 01/08/17 02:23 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It would seem with all of the deer from the same area that aging would be more accurate.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6621858 01/08/17 03:00 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
If i recall correctly the submit age results back +/- 1 yr. So either way lots of wiggle room.

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6621886 01/08/17 03:23 AM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
After discussing this with several wildlife biologists...aging by tooth wear is an educated guess. Diet plays a big role, as some foods accelerate tooth wear more than others.

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: Simple Searcher] #6621914 01/08/17 03:44 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
IMO, tooth wear is a tool to be used with other information and is a studied guess more than an exact science. Location, available food sources, individual animals, and a multitude of other factors make it impossible to guess with precise accuracy.

When used as a tool combined with other localized information, it can be used to confirm thoughts on a specific deer or even provide generalizations about deer taken.

It would be more interesting to me to see the accuracy within one Year rather than exact. Also, be interesting to see the data as to where the jaw bones in the study actually came from.

Interesting topic, but I have never believed tooth wear to be an end all-be all system for aging.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: txshntr] #6622057 01/08/17 11:36 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txshntr
IMO, tooth wear is a tool to be used with other information and is a studied guess more than an exact science. Location, available food sources, individual animals, and a multitude of other factors make it impossible to guess with precise accuracy.

When used as a tool combined with other localized information, it can be used to confirm thoughts on a specific deer or even provide generalizations about deer taken.

It would be more interesting to me to see the accuracy within one Year rather than exact. Also, be interesting to see the data as to where the jaw bones in the study actually came from.

Interesting topic, but I have never believed tooth wear to be an end all-be all system for aging.

I agree - we track most of our deer over the years so we usually have an idea on age before they are harvested. We check teeth for estimated age but then send to the lab to confirm. The lab is not 100% but sure seems close. Most of the time the age we think the deer is and the lab results line up. I thought this study was interesting because it used very experienced folks to do the jaw aging and the accuracy was off -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6622119 01/08/17 02:22 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Virtually anyone can tell a yearling or 2 yr olds age by teeth. As the study shows, virtually no one is worth a d__m after 2 yo.

Just confirms what I've believed for several years. That's why I really only concern myself with "mature" or "immature" classifications.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6622244 01/08/17 04:09 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
This is a response from another forum member concerning the study I posted here - interesting stuff

"The Noble was a good study that showed some of the potential inaccuracies of the Severinghaus aging technique. The original research was conducted in 1949 and was a little misleading in that the vast majority of the know-age deer in the data set were fawns and yearlings. The sample size for each subsequent age class dropped considerably, even the point of having only 1 deer in some age classes (if I remember correctly). The Noble study has a much better representation of age classes, but for this study they used plaster casts of known-age jaws. The study design was good, but, accurate aging was reported to be difficult using plaster casts (imperfections in the casting and inability to accurately gauge dentine). The Noble study was then followed by research by Hellickson. Don't remember if he was still at Georgia at the time or in Kingsville by then. But, that was another study that showed some of the inconsistencies.

The take-home from all of the research appears to be that although there are problems with aging by tooth wear and replacement, it is still a useful technique for data collection, especially in larger data sets. "Most" deer can be aged "fairly accurately", although individual deer can sometimes be off by 2 or 3 years, especially at older age classes (the tendency is to overage using the teeth). For research purposes, it is probably not good enough. For management purposes, it seems to work pretty well.

Cementum anuli from the incisors is a typically more-accurate way to age IF done by a qualified technician and IF there is a reference set of teeth for the specific region, which isn't always the case."

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: therancher] #6622913 01/09/17 12:34 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher
That's why I really only concern myself with "mature" or "immature" classifications.

Patiently waiting for our lease "manager" to "mature" into the "don't give a $#^&" status and adopt the above. It takes patience, which I seem to be a tad short of lately.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6625519 01/10/17 02:22 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I like to lump the teeth age estimate in with the rest of the info we have and then make a final call. We record all live/dressed weights, run cameras all year, try to age deer on the hoof and shoot and then look at teeth too. We have a couple known age bucks we have killed because we have had them on camera year after year and their teeth look a bit younger than what they are. We do feed protein almost year round and corn all the time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: redchevy] #6625564 01/10/17 02:47 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
" "Most" deer can be aged "fairly accurately", although individual deer can sometimes be off by 2 or 3 years, especially at older age classes (the tendency is to overage using the teeth). "

According to the data set in the noble study the only deer that can be aged "fairly accurately" by teeth are 1 and 2 yr olds. In a young population that "most deer" statement could be true.

But who really cares about aging yearlings and twos? The critical aging is done after 2 yrs., when there is virtually no accuracy in dental aging.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6625652 01/10/17 03:33 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
We have been using tooth wear to age class mule deer for years on a ranch we manage, backed by lab anuli analysis. You can get very close, for us especially at the middle aged deer. You need to know their forage, we have very rocky soil here.We have been consistently close, within ,middle aged deer, with 1 year or so. Older aged class deer, 7 1/2- 9 1/2 are more difficult to pin down within a year.Their teeth wear down to almost nothing. My professor at SFA came up with a deer aging tooth plaque that is used by families' home ranch in Texas and they are very accurate with their aging.It will work for certain areas and herds where the animal population is known.Noble Foundation writes the management plan for the Texas Ranch and has agreed with most of their ages on teeth wear. University of Wyoming ages our deer now through anuli analysis.

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: Wytex] #6625707 01/10/17 04:06 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Wytex
We have been using tooth wear to age class mule deer for years on a ranch we manage, backed by lab anuli analysis. You can get very close, for us especially at the middle aged deer. You need to know their forage, we have very rocky soil here.We have been consistently close, within ,middle aged deer, with 1 year or so. Older aged class deer, 7 1/2- 9 1/2 are more difficult to pin down within a year.Their teeth wear down to almost nothing. My professor at SFA came up with a deer aging tooth plaque that is used by families' home ranch in Texas and they are very accurate with their aging.It will work for certain areas and herds where the animal population is known.Noble Foundation writes the management plan for the Texas Ranch and has agreed with most of their ages on teeth wear. University of Wyoming ages our deer now through anuli analysis.

we do the same. It starts with trail cameras over the years where we can follow most of our bucks and have an idea of their age. When shot, we check tooth wear and make an estimate of their age. Then finally we send off to a lab for final age. I would say 75 % of the time we are on the money and the other 25% within one year.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6625854 01/10/17 05:34 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ignorant question. What exactly do you send in for the analysis? Entire lower jaw or a certain tooth?

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: titan2232] #6625859 01/10/17 05:37 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Ignorant question. What exactly do you send in for the analysis? Entire lower jaw or a certain tooth?

lower front two teeth

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6628733 01/12/17 01:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: titan2232

lower front two teeth

So bottom jaw middle two teeth?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6628783 01/12/17 02:34 PM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
The incisors at the front of the jaw, not the molars or premolars. Deer don't have upper incisors, so it has to be the lower jaw. You can use a screwdriver to separate the incisors to work the tooth loose, and then pull with pliers. Need to make sure the root is attached to the tooth.

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6628801 01/12/17 02:47 PM
W
WesTexHunter75 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W

we do the same. It starts with trail cameras over the years where we can follow most of our bucks and have an idea of their age. When shot, we check tooth wear and make an estimate of their age. Then finally we send off to a lab for final age. I would say 75 % of the time we are on the money and the other 25% within one year.

Tlk, what is the cost from the lab for aging the deer?

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6628821 01/12/17 03:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Good thread. Very informative. Yet a multitude of folks on here and everywhere else confidently declare specifc ages based on photos alone.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6648292 01/25/17 05:42 PM
T
txlongshot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I think you can get pretty close

Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: WesTexHunter75] #6648753 01/25/17 10:20 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Tlk, what is the cost from the lab for aging the deer?

Sorry just saw couple of the later post - our rancher pays the lab so I am not sure of the cost -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can deer really be aged by their tooth wear? [Re: tlk] #6649677 01/26/17 04:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
^^^$25

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide