Print Thread
Climbing stands #6510459 10/25/16 01:22 PM
P
Poolman84 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
I'm looking for recommendations on a good climbing stand. I have been using my hang on with climbing sticks but I am looking to get more than 14 or 16 feet up without toting extra sticks. I hunt public land a alot so I will backpack in and out. Are they safer than hang on stands? How fast can you guys climb to say 30 feet if needed?

Last edited by Poolman84; 10/25/16 01:26 PM.

Lone Star Pool Care
Service, remodel and repairs
Collin County and surrounding Counties
God Bless the USA
Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6510581 10/25/16 02:27 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I use an Ol'Man Multivision and I like it. It is a bit on the heavy side, but so am I so I needed one that was sturdy. It is. If you are a smaller fella, you could probably get by with one of the light weight climbers.

As far as a climber being safer than a hang on, I don't know about that. Seems like you could fall out of either one fairly easy, so wear your harness!

One advantage that a hang on has over a climber is you have more flexibility over where to hang your stand. Sometimes it seems that when I find an ideal location to hunt, there isn't a suitable tree for a climber nearby. You can use a hang on to any tree.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6510591 10/25/16 02:32 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
BTW, if you're careful (and you should be), a climber is not really fast. It takes me several minutes to climb up to something like 30'. If your hang on is already hung on the tree, you can get up and down a lot quicker.

Also welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Palehorse; 10/25/16 02:34 PM.
Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6510762 10/25/16 03:52 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Most of your time with a climber is spent setting it up at the bottom and the top. The actual movement up the tree is quick. I would guess about 1 foot per second.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6511004 10/25/16 06:12 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I hunted public land for years and years. And on public land, a climber is the only way to go. Some places won't even let you leave a stand overnight, not that you should anyway.

I've hunted the same Summit Viper climbing stand since 2000. I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else.

[Linked Image]
Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6527680 11/05/16 04:25 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Where ya located pool man ?

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6620732 01/07/17 07:18 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Summit makes some good ones but they will cost you some money. Unless you buy one in the spring when they are on clearance. I used a small companies climber for years that worked great and could fit on wider trees than most and wasn't expensive. I will call my buddy in the morning and find out the name of them and post a link for you. Up north in the country, that is all we would use when deer hunting.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6621593 01/08/17 12:08 AM
B
bassman110 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have a summit viper and a hang on and hunt public land. I would recommend the viper. I probably prefer my climber over the hang on but you can't just pick any tree and get up it. You have to pick one with no blocking limbs and straight enough to climb. I am definitely faster with the climber. I agree with postoak's comment. The majority of time for me it on the ground. Once I get it around the tree, my harness on, and rope attached to my gear I am up the tree quick. I could probably climb 30' in a couple minutes. But I will say 30 ft. is a long way up in the tree. I typically climb 16-22 ft which has proven to be more than high enough 99% of the time for me. I bow hunt and early in the season getting higher just means there are more leaves blocking my view. I can climb higher late in the season but then finding a good tree to climb that high becomes more of a challenge.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6621926 01/08/17 03:52 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I hear you bassman110. I am from the New England area but have lived all over the country. We decided to live in Texas where my wife was born to be near her parents and get away from all the liberal moonbats lol. We used climbers and fixed tree stands up north and could put them up locked up year round WMA's. Straight trees up there are a common thing and you had to get off the ground because the woods are so thick that you would basically have to hunt from the side of a trail to get a descent shot during the early archery season. So we would often lock our climber to the base of a tree, wear our safety harness over our camo and could get up a tree in the dark in seconds. We usually stick to 20 feet high but sometimes we had to go higher since there are hills everywhere and deer have an insane amount of trails that they would choose to branch off of once it was the legal 30 minutes before sunrise time to shoot and the wind started moving in the direction that you thought it wouldn't be going lol. After the end of the season, we could pick up climbers and fixed tree stands for 50% off and would load up on them. I still have 5 fixed tree stands with climbing sticks all locked up that run along the back area of a vegetable farm that butts up against a WMA. I pull the seats up and lock them to the tree so nobody can sit in them when I am not around. I made 5 sets of extra keys and gave a set to each of my buddies up there to hunt from. The first thing I noticed when we came in to Texas was that there were a very little amount of trees that I could use a climber in lol. But I can use a feeder and a blind on a tower which is awesome!!!! You couldn't bait up north and unless you owned a nice piece of land then you were stuck to hunting public land. What is worse is that there is no limit to how many people could hunt on public land so if you went during the weekend then you were taking your life in to your hands and have a slim to none chance of seeing a deer since all the new hunters smelling the place up and 50 hunters all using doe in heat urine will kinda freak the deer out. I used to make ground blinds from fallen branches to use during the winter and along the edges of a field for turkey hunting in the spring and would use an angled turkey seat and tree pad for a set up. I would like to ground hunt here but where I hunt, it's infested with snakes and would probably get bit in my butt hahahaha. My blind is the type with the rectangular windows that is only good for guns and crossbows so this year I am going to look in to buying a ladder stand and a crap load of that fake leaf wrap that you wrap around the sides of the ladder and one of those camo three sided covers for the platform and seat area. Summit's are great climbing tree stands but we had a problem finding a tree that it could fit around since a lot of the trees are so damn wide up there and the thinner ones would sway too easy with the wind since all the thick branches and leaves were so high up the trunk of the trees. They were good in NH where they had a lot of stronger trees to pick from. My climber weighed over 30 pounds but we didn't have to walk more than 200 yards with it or locked it up to the tree so we didn't have to carry it in. A long shot with a bow from a tree stand up there is about 30 yards and under unless you were able to get permission to hunt someone's field. I sold my compound bow and stuck with shooting the T/D recurve that I built but you can get some long shots off here in Texas so I might go out and get another Mathews before next season. Hunting in Texas is awesome and the deer are huge down here. Plus the people are responsible hunters compared to the ones up north. I had a tree next to me start exploding because some idiot with a 12 gauge was shooting slugs at a deer and missing. Even with an orange ribbon wrapped around the tree (universal sign up there for someone hunting right there) to let others know that someone is hunting in that spot, wearing an orange knitted cap, an orange vest, he still shot in that direction repeatedly. So getting off the ground during shotgun season with a tree stand is a smart thing to do.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6621947 01/08/17 04:11 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The one I used to own looks like the one sold by Sportsman's Guide and sold under their Guide Gear brand. The company is probably making them for Sportsman's Guide now. My buddy couldn't remember the name of the company who made it and his climber is packed away in storage so he couldn't get at it to tell me the brand name. It also looks like the Ameristep one so it's one of them. I remember that it was pretty heavy but it would fit around wide trees so that was worth the extra weight it had. They are both $100.00 and under for them. Not the best ones out there but you can add stuff to them like the Summit foot stirrups for $23.00 and a Summit seat for $35.00 on Amazon. Hope this helps you out.

Sportsman's Guide
Guide Gear Extreme Deluxe Hunting Climber Tree Stand

Ameristep
Ameristep Grizzly Climbing Stand, Realtree Xtra, 8400

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6623426 01/09/17 11:07 AM
B
baconluvr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Anyone here have a TreeLounge they are hanging on to and want to sell? So disappointing they are gone.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6623594 01/09/17 02:23 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Summit Viper SD Climber is my climber. Its light weight and it takes me about 2 minutes to attach to tree and 2 minutes for me to climb up... Use harness and this thing is best buy choice for you. Its lasted me so far and have not had any problems.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6623599 01/09/17 02:26 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
easy to learn also! bought it and that day tried it on a tree in the yard, and bam, I was ready to go. just always use harness though...

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6632733 01/15/17 01:01 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I am originally from Arkansas, and have used climbers for most of my 30+ year hunting career. Currently have a Summit Goliath, and it has been a great stand. Have worn out the seat once, and replaced the climbing cable twice. Stable platform, and I can set it up in just a few minutes. If something were to happen to this stand, I would have another on order immediately.

Re: Climbing stands [Re: Poolman84] #6655612 01/31/17 02:32 PM
R
R.spencer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Summit viper

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide