Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,034
Posts9,719,676
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights #6476226 10/01/16 10:28 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
No pig harmed in video, unfortunately. But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light. I also added a photo at the end showing you what the pigs can see from 50 yards away with the photon xt internal IR and a t38...

Brief explanation.

We (Cooga bear and I) got a photo from the game camera and take off from a nearby stand. We work our way in there, standing in the middle of the shooting lane. Unfortunately the pig is off to the left and he cannot see the pig from his angle. Goal was to get a nice comparison video with the photon xt and the x-sight hd. Footage is from the x-sight hd.

Enjoy...

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476234 10/01/16 10:36 PM
T
texashunter900 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I agree that they can see the light and have believed this for a while.

Which has the better screen to look at, x sight or photon?

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476267 10/01/16 11:20 PM
N
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
They seem to very close to one another. We got a video of a rabbit that I put a side by side comparison on but I was trying to wait for a pig kill.

The x-sight hd records at a higher resolution. So it will be an unfair judge of picture.

So far I've noticed:
The x-sight takes forever to turn on. Photon just turns on.
The photon over exposes the picture a lot when you pull it up or moving over bright objects. The x-sight seems to correct the brightness level and make it a little more even.

Hog & Predator control
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476274 10/01/16 11:24 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light.

I think you may have misworded this statement. Hogs cannot see IR light. They can see an IR light source that emits non-IR, visible spectrum light. Most IR illuminators used in hunting, such as the ones you demo'd, do emit some visible spectrum light. That is why you can see it as well.

So sure, they see the lights you are using. My guess is that hog may have been hunted by folks using IR lights previously or he has just come to associate unfamiliar lights as a bad thing.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476281 10/01/16 11:27 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I've had hogs lift their head and stare at me when I was using an IR light with my Photon. They didn't seem to perceive it as a danger, and so far none have survived the experience to learn from it.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6476342 10/02/16 12:40 AM
N
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light.

I think you may have misworded this statement. Hogs cannot see IR light. They can see an IR light source that emits non-IR, visible spectrum light. Most IR illuminators used in hunting, such as the ones you demo'd, do emit some visible spectrum light. That is why you can see it as well.

So sure, they see the lights you are using. My guess is that hog may have been hunted by folks using IR lights previously or he has just come to associate unfamiliar lights as a bad thing.

Correct I misspoke. Thank for correcting.

Possible he has seen it before. But I'd be surprised if he had. We have been flooded out there in the river bottom for all of last deer season thru about July. So we have just started thinning them down.

Hog & Predator control
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: der Teufel] #6476351 10/02/16 12:44 AM
N
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I've had hogs lift their head and stare at me when I was using an IR light with my Photon. They didn't seem to perceive it as a danger, and so far none have survived the experience to learn from it.

I have too. But this is the first one that was staring straight at me. Maybe that matters. I don't know that much about that. Sure makes me leery using anything that needs IR. I'm saving my pennies for a thermal.

Hog & Predator control
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476401 10/02/16 01:27 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Turn on your illuminator on and look at it from a few feet away. It looks like a red eyeball, a big red eyeball if its behind a magnifier lens. Another reason I switched to thermal.

Charlie

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476613 10/02/16 03:37 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I've never had a pig show any response to my IR illuminator. I have had them bolt from the sound of the switch clicking at 40 yards.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476721 10/02/16 11:40 AM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
This video clearly shows a pig out of a large sounder see the ir light ,I move it with the light
And I was 85 yards from him ,you can see the ir flash on my game cam spook him first ,others have no care

Last edited by Deadend; 10/02/16 02:55 PM.

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476735 10/02/16 12:21 PM
T
TXHunterKLewis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Stupid question as I just purchased a 5-20 XSII and the IR Pro light. Is the red glow coming from the actual light itself or is it another part of the light that might be able to be covered up with say tape or cloth of some sort?

V/R,

Kevin
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476785 10/02/16 01:30 PM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I have found that having my game cams at a feeder that are IR for night pictures seem to help make the hogs less spooked by IR lights on my Photon / IR light setups. They get use to the IR flashes I suspect.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476793 10/02/16 01:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The glow comes from the light itself.

You can go with a higher nm light, moving further from the visible spectrum, and there will be less visible light, but you will also have a marked decrease in performance of the area illuminated without upping the amount of power used. To get comparable performance from a higher nm light, you need more power, assuming all other factors are the same (lens, reflector, etc.)

It also helps if you don't camp out on top of the area where you expect the hogs to be. In other words, if you have a feeder, set up at 100 yards and not 40 or 50. Often, it isn't just the light that the hogs respond to, but it may be part of what convinces them to leave, especially if they think it is too close. Noise and smells also come into play. The more stimulus the hogs have that they don't like, the more apt they are to respond negatively.

As ever, it would seem that lone boars are more skittish than sounders.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6476803 10/02/16 01:41 PM
T
TXHunterKLewis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Thanks... great information and advice.

EDIT: Just clicked on your YouTube channel.. I have been a subscriber of yours for a couple months now. Great videos.

Last edited by TX.Hunter.K.Lewis; 10/02/16 01:42 PM.

V/R,

Kevin
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478174 10/03/16 01:32 PM
D
Dalep Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I am looking to buy a NV scope very soon. If you had to buy just one, which would it be? I'll be predominately using it from a treestand so im not certain how important turn ontime is but maybe it is indeed a big deal

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Dalep] #6478345 10/03/16 02:55 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Dalep
I am looking to buy a NV scope very soon. If you had to buy just one, which would it be? I'll be predominately using it from a treestand so I'm not certain how important turn on time is but maybe it is indeed a big deal

I don't know enough to make a recommendation, but I can anticipate the questions that will be asked of you.
What's your budget? This is obviously important.
How often do you hunt? Once a quarter, once a month, weekly? It's probably not worth spending a huge chunk of change if you go only 3-4 times a year.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478361 10/03/16 03:02 PM
D
Dalep Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I apologize, I meant when it comes to the X-sight and the proton which would you buy. I live in SC and we don't have as bad a problem as texas with hogs so I don't want to buy a $2000 unit to only use once and a while. I know the hunt club would happily let me hunt any stand I want if get hogs off their feeders lol

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478371 10/03/16 03:10 PM
C
Cooga Bear Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I think both the Photon and X-Sight II are very nice. For a simple turn on and go NV I'd go with the Photon. If you want all the added features like WiFi, GPS, Range Finder, etc. then the ATN is nice.

The one thing I don't like about the ATN is how bright the display is when you're looking through it. Once you put the scope down you're basically blinded until your eyes adjust. It's really bright and on a dark night it almost hurts your eyes or at least it does mine.

It's also kind of laggy when you're moving the scope around fast. It's not really an issue, but something I noticed the other night when we were comparing them. So far the ATN has only locked up 1 time and that was when he brought it up from Hibernate mode I believe. Other than that all the other stuff it's advertised to do has worked flawlessly.

I sighted it in with 2 shots and I was able to view the display of it with my iPhone and iPad using WiFi. I think you can do the same thing with the Photon in maybe 3 shots like I did with my gun. We basically take the BCG out and look through the barrel at the target then without moving it look up at the scope and put the crosshair on the target. Do that a few times then shoot and you'll be on paper and relatively close to center. No need for a special boresight tool or anything like that. It's a simple method that has worked on 3 guns so far this year.

I know a lot of owners have had issues with them, but the one we've been using has been great. I think a lot of issues are by users who either A) Don't have a lot of technical knowledge or B) Don't read the manual when it comes to how hard or fast to push the buttons. That's one thing I noticed is you don't really push and hold the buttons it's just a slight tap.

One thing I do like is the built-in DVR on the X-Sight II. It saves you $200 and another device attached to your gun with a cable and case and all that good stuff. With the push of a button it starts recording and you can also enable the feature that records the last 30 seconds of video once it senses a gunshot. Pretty nice.

One other thing I like is how quickly it adjusts when you raise the gun up if you're walking. The Photon takes a second or two to basically brighten the screen up when you raise it up to shoot or look around after it's been pointed at the ground while you're walking. The ATN is pretty much instant which is NICE.

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478381 10/03/16 03:15 PM
N
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
At this point I can recommend the photon xt. I don't have enough time on the x-sight. Only been out with it twice. So far it's been fine but with a lot of the reviews in the past I'm hesitant to put a stamp of approval on it.

Hopefully someone else here can throw their insight in.

Hog & Predator control
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478760 10/03/16 06:40 PM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Another thought on the ATN besides the lag ,you have to add an IR illuminator
The photon illuminator is built in which is very convenient not to have to deal with and the photon is very dependable unit and easy to use

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478968 10/03/16 09:11 PM
C
Cooga Bear Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Having an external IR is just about a must with either of them. Yes they're built-in, but they don't have near the range that a T38 would have which is what we're using.

Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6478985 10/03/16 09:19 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Which one is cheaper? That's the winner

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Pig_Popper] #6479270 10/03/16 11:49 PM
N
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Which one is cheaper? That's the winner

Very good point. Depending on what the goal for the scope is depends on the price.

My photon has a Burris pepr qd mount. And a unv dvr. After those added on you are over the price for the ATN. Sure you can get a cheaper mount and no dvr. Then the photons cheaper.

Hog & Predator control
Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Night Hunting TV] #6482526 10/05/16 09:50 PM
S
specialed309 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Put your IR Illuminator on your tail gate or a flat surface. Turn it on. Walk away 50-75 yards you will see exactly what animals are seeing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide